Programs Auto-Closing!

Guest TheGoDxxxx

Guest mangaba

Hi,

I apply the changes in taskmon service and it works. But my problem is: I like to use CorePlayer while walking. I start coreplayer and use blankscreen to save energy. But, after doing the registry changes, when I use coreplayer it turns off after about 2 minutes, no mather what time I put in windows power settings. I use touchlockpro,but even with it disabled, the problem is present

I try to change values in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power,but with no luck.

There are other registry key that can control this ?

Someone can help?

Thanks

Guest skoda60
Im reverting the reg changes as well. Could someone tell me what the original value of

HKLM\ControlPanel\Power\Redirect

is? I deleted it without making a backup :D

HKLM\ControlPanel\Power\Redirect

Value data:

\windows\setting_a.exe/btpw

Guest skoda60
Hi,

I apply the changes in taskmon service and it works. But my problem is: I like to use CorePlayer while walking. I start coreplayer and use blankscreen to save energy. But, after doing the registry changes, when I use coreplayer it turns off after about 2 minutes, no mather what time I put in windows power settings. I use touchlockpro,but even with it disabled, the problem is present

I try to change values in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power,but with no luck.

Someone can help?

Thanks

Did you try out:

Attached File HolyFox_PowerOff.cab on post#82. I used it to off the display while listening to eBook.

Guest janvalek

Crap... Just found out taskmon.dll also monitors if you slide out the keyboard or not.

So without taskmon, it doesnt switch to landscape mode and turn the light on. Keys work though.

I guess ill have to install changescreen again to make landscape work on turning..

Guest junalmeida
Crap... Just found out taskmon.dll also monitors if you slide out the keyboard or not.

So without taskmon, it doesnt switch to landscape mode and turn the light on. Keys work though.

I guess ill have to install changescreen again to make landscape work on turning..

Try to enable manually rotation (and assign to a button) or use some automatic rotation that uses the acelerometer.

Damn! Even if I don't have a slide keyboard model, I hate to see that disabling that service had a lot of nasty consequences: large indicators, dimming, turning off automatically, this keyboard thing, etc.

I'd love it if that would be a clean solution (and actually worked :D ) in my device, but sadly, this doesn't seem to be.

Thanks though for the effort and for keep working over this!

On e thing I have noticed with changing the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell\LowMem\ProgramMem values is how different the phone reacts. Yes, with values for ProgramMem=dword:96 I get a problem that I can’t explain. Does anyone know why sometime my phone just turns off by itself or why, for example, I want to open an SMS or replay to an SMS I can’t because the phone doesn’t want to respond? I have to say, yes increasing the memory value sounds good, but in the long run of it all I just can’t deal with this not being able to use the phone.

Any ideas of what is going wrong or any ways to help the problem. I sent my ProgramMem=dword:32 for now and still have this problem.

Guest skoda60
Damn! Even if I don't have a slide keyboard model, I hate to see that disabling that service had a lot of nasty consequences: large indicators, dimming, turning off automatically, this keyboard thing, etc.

I'd love it if that would be a clean solution (and actually worked :D ) in my device, but sadly, this doesn't seem to be.

Thanks though for the effort and for keep working over this!

My large indicaters still working fine. Picture viewing, video still auto rotate. sms not rotate I still can live with it. Now very much better and I no need to reset every hour and no closing down the program was essential to me.

Guest dwallersv
Hi,

Someone can help?

Thanks

Okay, I'm sad to report that I'm having this problem too (although I discovered it with Pocket Player, not Coreplayer). Same deal -- when screen blanks, music will continue to play for a few minutes, then stop. Wake up the device, PP is paused. Hit play, let screen time out, plays for a few minutes, then stops again.

The workaround is to simply not let the screen turn off (settings in PP and CP are available for this).

Not a good workaround, but at least usable for the moment, until we can figure out how to fix this side-effect.

And I'm quite optimistic we can. I strongly suspect what's going on here has to do with unconfigured WM6.5 power management, because of the OEM implementation through Task Monitor. As Rudd and that other guy (sorry, don't remember your handle off the top of my head) posted as part of their investigation/reading, there's a bunch of config in the registry to set up power management for different states. Samsung didn't configure this stuff.

WM has a bunch of different power states -- around a half dozen, if I remember correctly. "Sleep" is different than "mostly asleep, with one app active and awake" (can't remember what this state is called), and the current (non)config probably isn't handling that state at all -- hence the device is put out cold,

We'll get it.

Here's a suggestion for the hackers out there: Dump the symbols from TaskMon.dll and see if anything jumps out as a memory threshold close to what we're seeing -- 50MB. We could then try patching the dll to lower it, and see if that works. It would be truly the optimal way to fix this, short of Samsung doing the right thing.

Guest elementalfusion

Anyone experiencing insane power drain when taskmon is disabled? I charged till full and next morning when i woke up it was 50%! Got a shock :D

Guest mangaba
Did you try out:

Attached File HolyFox_PowerOff.cab on post#82. I used it to off the display while listening to eBook.

OK, thank you. I think I solve the sleep problem putting all keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power to 0. The system never sleeps, but i can use the hard key.

But i like this little app, I use it to blank the screen in programs that don´t have this option.

using cooked roms i.e kclite 6.5 this process does not exist when using mem maid to check. also with this cooked rom ive never had a autoclose issue. i have opera 10 3 open with 4 tabs, radio, picture viwer and messaging. it goes to around 7-20mb. not one error comes up. maybe using the cooked roms included on this forum solve this or hold the key to stopping this memory issue happening ? or maybe its just my phone ahha. but certainly used more than one monitor program and theres no instance of any process you guys mention.

Guest Chainfire

I have ran TaskMon through a disassembler and so far have not really located the issue - then again I've only had about 60 minutes to look at it. I will look at it in more detail tomorrow to see if I can spot where, why, and how it terminates programs.

However, I have not been using my Omnia II much of late, and therefor am not very familiar with the issue. I see a lot of problems listed here, some which seem to come from disabling TaskMon, some which seem to be due to GWES memory leak, some which seem to be due to registry changes.

Can someone here who is intimate with the entire problem please "recap" the thread and restate the problem + causes + caveats in it's entirety so I can be sure I'm not "barking up the wrong tree" ? I simply don't have the time to manually test everything said in all the posts here, and I'm afraid I might have missed something important.

Guest junalmeida
Can someone here who is intimate with the entire problem please "recap" the thread and restate the problem + causes + caveats in it's entirety so I can be sure I'm not "barking up the wrong tree" ? I simply don't have the time to manually test everything said in all the posts here, and I'm afraid I might have missed something important.

Hi Chainfire,

Being general, the main problem of Omnia II consist in start closing applications that are running on background, even if we have a reasonable amount of free ram. For example, if i'm running moTweets, and open a link in opera, after closing opera, moTweets were closed. If I minimize opera, opera will be closed too.

We are discussing here that TaskMon.dll is responsible for that, what makes sense for me. I have tried to STOP the process, but it freezes my device. Instead, changing this service to MANUAL start and rebooting, works for everybody. And now, we can run more apps in the background.

Someone reported that WM sends WM_CLOSE, instead of WM_HIBERNATE, when memory goes below 50mb. But I guess that this is not the winmo native behavior.

In fact, with TaskMon disabled, I can see a true multi-tasking s.o, but this dll is responsible for other tasks such as taking device to sleep. Changing some registry values makes GWES do it again.

But, maybe there are more side effects on disabling TaskMon. We need to check if device keeps changing cpu scaling, and all other samsung settings (the settings app).

I don't know why samsung implemented this dll, as the native winmo shell is able to do it. Seems that they like to reinvent the wheel.

BTW, what tool do you use to disassembly?

I remember seeing in some asian forum that someone disassembled the taskmon.dll and found that it intercepts WM_HIBERNATE and sendts out WM_CLOSE. that has caused all our problems.

Guest Chainfire

Hmm, well, I did do some searching but my interpretation about what the asians say differs from yours.

I did look at the IDA Pro dumps again, and though it seems I can find where it looks at different running applications and currently available memory, I can't seem to find where it is actually shutting them down. Perhaps I'm just having a brainfart or something.

I have an idea of how to fix issue without knowing exactly how TaskMon works though. Tomorrow I will have an I8000 at hand to test this out. Cross fingers :D

Guest dwallersv
Hmm, well, I did do some searching but my interpretation about what the asians say differs from yours.

I did look at the IDA Pro dumps again, and though it seems I can find where it looks at different running applications and currently available memory, I can't seem to find where it is actually shutting them down. Perhaps I'm just having a brainfart or something.

I have an idea of how to fix issue without knowing exactly how TaskMon works though. Tomorrow I will have an I8000 at hand to test this out. Cross fingers :D

Note also that there are some differences in how all this comes down between the 8000 and the 920. The latter doesn't have the dimming and sleep disabling problems when TaskMon isn't running. However, I found that the Large Indicators feature would not work unless I allowed TaskMon to at least start up and initialize, and then stop it.

Chainfire -- do you know a method to start/stop services from the command line (that could be used, for example, in a shortcut)?

Guest JohnJayJrV
Note also that there are some differences in how all this comes down between the 8000 and the 920. The latter doesn't have the dimming and sleep disabling problems when TaskMon isn't running. However, I found that the Large Indicators feature would not work unless I allowed TaskMon to at least start up and initialize, and then stop it.

Chainfire -- do you know a method to start/stop services from the command line (that could be used, for example, in a shortcut)?

The large indicator issue was a big reason to not stop Taskmon. I really didn't see any difference when it was stopped anyways.

jv

Guest junalmeida
The large indicator issue was a big reason to not stop Taskmon. I really didn't see any difference when it was stopped anyways.

jv

The large indicator still runs fine here.

Anyone know the name of this task manager on this picture?

post-265512-1266792220_thumb.jpg

post-479152-1266518418_thumb.jpg

Stayed stable like this for about 5 minutes so far, with active switching between the apps, doing things with them, etc.

I've driven it down to less than 5MB of free RAM, and it'll operate there for a little bit, but then apps close until it gets back over about 40MB.

I'm guessing -- and it's just a guess -- that all those other tweaks to WM6.5 are operative when the stupid Samsung TaskMon service is knocked out of the picture.

The only one I've done is HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\LowMem\ProgramMem => 128. I'm thinking those OOM parms have something to do with thresholds for how much to free up when the OS does it itself, and can modify this to just get ack up to 10-20MB when WM memory management kicks in.

Let's all experiment!

Edited by Whp1