[REF] Cooking info, kitchen, tools, etc ....

Guest rodrigofd

Hi all, since I am rather new to cooking but should be able to learn quickly, I have some question to ask.

1) The instructions that I followed by wes, it seems to have only made changes to the XIP but wouldn't this means that only the natives core files are changed and not the rest of the files (SYS)?

2) If I would like to remove/add files, how do I go about doing it? Is there some kitchen software that I can use to do so?

3) Some ROMs that I have dumped includes OEM_LANG_0409 and some doesn't have (especially the official MSTs). Without OEM_LANG_0409, that means there's no initflashfiles.bin, resulting in BuildOS failing to do it's procedure. So does this means I have to actually flash my phone, use dskdump by sorg and do my cooking using the dumped ROM?

this question is related due to my success in cooking a rom (but don't know if it is working or not):

4) I realized when I use PKGTOOL to check the Versions of the SYS, mine didn't show up the version of the OS I ported. Does this matter? As when I check Khuanchai's WM6.5.3 rom, his one does have build 28008 in the Versions list.

Guest rodrigofd
Hi all, since I am rather new to cooking but should be able to learn quickly, I have some question to ask.

1) The instructions that I followed by wes, it seems to have only made changes to the XIP but wouldn't this means that only the natives core files are changed and not the rest of the files (SYS)?

2) If I would like to remove/add files, how do I go about doing it? Is there some kitchen software that I can use to do so?

3) Some ROMs that I have dumped includes OEM_LANG_0409 and some doesn't have (especially the official MSTs). Without OEM_LANG_0409, that means there's no initflashfiles.bin, resulting in BuildOS failing to do it's procedure. So does this means I have to actually flash my phone, use dskdump by sorg and do my cooking using the dumped ROM?

this question is related due to my success in cooking a rom (but don't know if it is working or not):

4) I realized when I use PKGTOOL to check the Versions of the SYS, mine didn't show up the version of the OS I ported. Does this matter? As when I check Khuanchai's WM6.5.3 rom, his one does have build 28008 in the Versions list.

Hi , i don't mean any offence, but ROm cooking is not an extremely simple concept, because lots of considerations should be taken into account, but you are free to try to experiment. I'll try to drop you some hints.

1) Instructions posted by wes include what is called 'xip porting' (adapting I8000 kernel to another OS version) , and ALSO IMGFS rellocation. This last thing means, rellocating SYS and OEM files... If what you want to do, is cook your ROM to another WM build as original , of course wes steps aren't enough, you have to replace original SYS packages with SYS packages from the build you prefer.

For example, you can get latest stable 6.5.3 build from XDA, in thread posted by DA_G (look for it).

2) Currently there is no 'integral' kitchen useful for Omnia2, basically there are spare tools hanging around, you have to use in combination for the different steps.Remember ROM cooking is not an 'official' concept, but a fan home-made technique, so it is pretty untidy to do :)

Currently the most tidy and 'one-in-all' utility available is Pako777's i900Executor v 2.5, released days ago, that adds more support to I8000 ROM cooking.

3) maybe its a inoffensive message, try it out. But might be related to something missing.. not sure

Hi , i don't mean any offence, but ROm cooking is not an extremely simple concept, because lots of considerations should be taken into account, but you are free to try to experiment. I'll try to drop you some hints.

1) Instructions posted by wes include what is called 'xip porting' (adapting I8000 kernel to another OS version) , and ALSO IMGFS rellocation. This last thing means, rellocating SYS and OEM files... If what you want to do, is cook your ROM to another WM build as original , of course wes steps aren't enough, you have to replace original SYS packages with SYS packages from the build you prefer.

For example, you can get latest stable 6.5.3 build from XDA, in thread posted by DA_G (look for it).

2) Currently there is no 'integral' kitchen useful for Omnia2, basically there are spare tools hanging around, you have to use in combination for the different steps.Remember ROM cooking is not an 'official' concept, but a fan home-made technique, so it is pretty untidy to do B)

Currently the most tidy and 'one-in-all' utility available is Pako777's i900Executor v 2.5, released days ago, that adds more support to I8000 ROM cooking.

3) maybe its a inoffensive message, try it out. But might be related to something missing.. not sure

No offence taken RFD. :) I do know that cooking isn't an easy concept but I've been playing with firmwares since when I am using sony ericsson phone (well, it is ARM processor too, haha), I might have an idea or two. Just wanting to learn more about this. ;)

Hmm, I knew it isn't something simple as to just port the XIP! That means to say by replacing the SYS with the newer builds and running BuildOS will result in a new OS build dump right?

I should play around with i900 EXEcutor more..

Anyways, thanks a lot RFD for the hint! Now I could experiment by trying to port OS first.

2) Currently there is no 'integral' kitchen useful for Omnia2, basically there are spare tools hanging around, you have to use in combination for the different steps.Remember ROM cooking is not an 'official' concept, but a fan home-made technique, so it is pretty untidy to do :)

I guess I didn't specify it clear enough. But the part that relates to relocating imgfs (SYS and OEM) relates to porting of the new SYS packages. I should have put a point about replacing SYS packages with the new ones. But the instructions I posted, I wrote originally for Khuanchai to test it so I assumed that he knew what he was doing - and of course he did. Porting a new OS should be done with changing both XIP and SYS packages. I just assumed this as something obvious. You should always match XIP version with the version of the rest of OS.

Guest rodrigofd
I guess I didn't specify it clear enough. But the part that relates to relocating imgfs (SYS and OEM) relates to porting of the new SYS packages. I should have put a point about replacing SYS packages with the new ones. But the instructions I posted, I wrote originally for Khuanchai to test it so I assumed that he knew what he was doing - and of course he did. Porting a new OS should be done with changing both XIP and SYS packages. I just assumed this as something obvious. You should always match XIP version with the version of the rest of OS.

Right, that's what i meant... your instructions were aimed at the experts trying to fit remaining porting step, not for anyone wanting to port OS :)

In the midst of porting, I was wondering too and indeed I was right about the need to replace the SYS.

So I guess it's just one step in the instruction.

Oh by the way, may I know what has to be done with the header and checksum? I mean what tool is supposed to be used? (assuming I don't use RFD's o2util to do the job)

Guest rodrigofd
In the midst of porting, I was wondering too and indeed I was right about the need to replace the SYS.

So I guess it's just one step in the instruction.

Oh by the way, may I know what has to be done with the header and checksum? I mean what tool is supposed to be used? (assuming I don't use RFD's o2util to do the job)

Is not clear what you asked for.... you say 'what tool is supposed to be used' but don't want to use mine? :) ... if you want the technical specs to say make your own tools, there is plenty of info around, like in my first post of this thread...

Is not clear what you asked for.... you say 'what tool is supposed to be used' but don't want to use mine? ;) ... if you want the technical specs to say make your own tools, there is plenty of info around, like in my first post of this thread...

no, what I meant is before you released o2util, how was the checksum and header being modified?

EDIT: okay never mind, I just saw the step 8 on the first post. sorry for being 'blind'. :)

Edited by zm.

RFD : Every ROM that i have dumped into OEM SYS ROM the OEM is always empty. Is there something wrong? Also how do i go about adding .cab files to the ROM. And also i have a application i would like to add however when i open up the folder it gives me a folder name file and a reg file. How do i convert them into packages ? Thanks

Guest rodrigofd
RFD : Every ROM that i have dumped into OEM SYS ROM the OEM is always empty. Is there something wrong? Also how do i go about adding .cab files to the ROM. And also i have a application i would like to add however when i open up the folder it gives me a folder name file and a reg file. How do i convert them into packages ? Thanks

Not all ROMs can be 'packetized' properly, depends on how they were assembled. Likely you are referring to custom roms (e.g. my roms or khuanchai's) ... probably you'll get an empty OEM.

Please kindly do not modify my ROMs... I publish them for direct use but not for alteration.

Regarding the package you mention, your package is in another layout , preferred by some XDA kitchens... for use here, you have to put all files into the same folder level... (e.g. contents of folder 'files' and the registry file/s) in a folder for your package, lets say 'OEM_Arcsoft_MMS\*.*'

The registry file, rename it 'package.rgu'... and that's it, basically. BuildOS should process it properly, and after running it, it will automatically get a unique id (GUID) and registry file will be renamed to {GUID}.RGU...

Not all ROMs can be 'packetized' properly, depends on how they were assembled. Likely you are referring to custom roms (e.g. my roms or khuanchai's) ... probably you'll get an empty OEM.

Please kindly do not modify my ROMs... I publish them for direct use but not for alteration.

Regarding the package you mention, your package is in another layout , preferred by some XDA kitchens... for use here, you have to put all files into the same folder level... (e.g. contents of folder 'files' and the registry file/s) in a folder for your package, lets say 'OEM_Arcsoft_MMS\*.*'

The registry file, rename it 'package.rgu'... and that's it, basically. BuildOS should process it properly, and after running it, it will automatically get a unique id (GUID) and registry file will be renamed to {GUID}.RGU...

So i can just delete the related packages from samsung and use buildOS ?

I have another question about porting OS. When I am replacing the files in SYS folder, do I just replace the existing or do I delete the current and add in the new one?

I have another question about porting OS. When I am replacing the files in SYS folder, do I just replace the existing or do I delete the current and add in the new one?

You are replacing an old WM os with the new one, so you should delete all files from sys folder and add new ones.

Hello all.

The subject of splitting, checksumming and repackaging a rom has been dealt with extensively up to now, and with Rodrigo's little tool + Pako's Executor I think that the relevant tools are fairly complete. However, what I find lacking is a toolkit for doing the actual cooking. Of course, BuildOS+PkgTools do a great job in preparing the dump for building the imgfs, and there are tools that can help if we want to add new packages, but I haven't found anything to help me with removal of OEM packages. In particular, I have to go through hundreds of kilobytes of text in initflashfiles.dat, *.provxml and *.rgu files.

To this end, I wrote a small tool that can do a bit of analysis itself. In particular, it can scan initflashfiles.dat and build a filelist for each package it finds in there, so I can delete files easily from the OEM folder on a package basis. The plan is to extend the tool so that it deletes files automatically, and also analyze *.provxml and *.rgu files and manipulate their entries.

Do the other cooks here find that such a tool would be useful? Bear in mind that I'm very new to the subject of cooking (but I'm a good programmer and I learn fast), so I may be going in a completely wrong direction. I would appreciate feedback. I have attached the output of the tool for my own phone's initflashfiles.dat.

Thanks for your help,

George.

initflashfiles.dat.filelist.rar

Hello all.

The subject of splitting, checksumming and repackaging a rom has been dealt with extensively up to now, and with Rodrigo's little tool + Pako's Executor I think that the relevant tools are fairly complete. However, what I find lacking is a toolkit for doing the actual cooking. Of course, BuildOS+PkgTools do a great job in preparing the dump for building the imgfs, and there are tools that can help if we want to add new packages, but I haven't found anything to help me with removal of OEM packages. In particular, I have to go through hundreds of kilobytes of text in initflashfiles.dat, *.provxml and *.rgu files.

To this end, I wrote a small tool that can do a bit of analysis itself. In particular, it can scan initflashfiles.dat and build a filelist for each package it finds in there, so I can delete files easily from the OEM folder on a package basis. The plan is to extend the tool so that it deletes files automatically, and also analyze *.provxml and *.rgu files and manipulate their entries.

Do the other cooks here find that such a tool would be useful? Bear in mind that I'm very new to the subject of cooking (but I'm a good programmer and I learn fast), so I may be going in a completely wrong direction. I would appreciate feedback. I have attached the output of the tool for my own phone's initflashfiles.dat.

Thanks for your help,

George.

that would be a good start for easy removal of unwanted packages.

Guest rodrigofd

HI george... it's great good programmers are contributing with their creativity to improve the job, which is pretty 'home-made' and rough..

Of course doing it all by hand is very tedious, so i've been writing a great tool myself all this months, for my own personal use, but it is becoming pretty powerful so i might share it with rest..

Basically, it is a all-in-one, file operations and registry editor, that imports and exports all kinds of file types, CAB packages, OEM packages, RGU/REG files, INITFLASHFILES files, PROVXML files, with all possible supported commands.

Although simple, its very powerful: you can for example, load a huge RGU registry file (i8000 OEM apps have almost all reg. settings in a single RGU file), check certain portion of registry settings, and extract it to a different RGU or even a PROVXML, at your choice.. Same for initflashfiles, etc.

After playing with CSC to get files for Samsung Today, I thought maybe it will be useful to have something to dump or just check what files are in the CSC. So I just wrote this little application (nothing fancy) and hopefully it works. 

It lists the files for selected CSC and can dump all the files in selected CSC or selected CSC itself. There are still some values in the CSC that I don't know what they are but I think the dumped files are OK. Maybe I should put the header for the dumped CSC file but for now I don't need it - it is recognized by Octans when you loaded so maybe it will flash OK as well. The files are dumped in the same folder where the main CSC is. 

If you try it and something doesn't work, let me know. Maybe I will have some time to fix it.

Edit:

Made a little change, thought it might be better to save files in different directories. Dumped files from CSC are saved in the directory with the name of the CSC and dumped CSC file is in the same directory as main CSC.

CSCDump.exe

Edited by wes58

HI george... it's great good programmers are contributing with their creativity to improve the job, which is pretty 'home-made' and rough..

Of course doing it all by hand is very tedious, so i've been writing a great tool myself all this months, for my own personal use, but it is becoming pretty powerful so i might share it with rest..

Basically, it is a all-in-one, file operations and registry editor, that imports and exports all kinds of file types, CAB packages, OEM packages, RGU/REG files, INITFLASHFILES files, PROVXML files, with all possible supported commands.

Although simple, its very powerful: you can for example, load a huge RGU registry file (i8000 OEM apps have almost all reg. settings in a single RGU file), check certain portion of registry settings, and extract it to a different RGU or even a PROVXML, at your choice.. Same for initflashfiles, etc.

Hi, Rodrigo. It's great to hear about your tool. Basically, we are both going in the same direction, only you have progressed much further than I (which is natural since I only wrote my little program in a couple of hours). It's good to hear about such tools because in contrast to packing/unpacking the rom, the actual "cooking" part is still very shady and hopefully such tools will help to clarify the procedures.

All the best,

George.

it appears that xda's 28008 hotfile link is down.

anyone can offer to send me?

Hi serverxeon,

Here you go

Folder (with all three files)

1. http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=bbc6bb1...e34c0a955f98962

or individual files

1. WM653-28008-DPI-192-RESH-480-RESV-640-LANG-0409-DUMP.rar --> http://www.mediafire.com/?zt1dn1dw3wo

2. WM653-28008-Rollup-All-Packages.rar.001 --> http://www.mediafire.com/?jmntmdmliyj

3. WM653-28008-Rollup-All-Packages.rar.002 --> http://www.mediafire.com/?cnymmjmmwun

4. initflashfiles-dat-all-langs --> initflashfiles_dat_all_langs.zip