what for and why do OMNIA 2 reserved 50% of it RAM?

I'm still using the out of the box wm6.5 rom here....and I'm curious about this reserved RAM., since I don't see it helps phone's performance yet it consume so much RAM that for examples I'm not able to open multiple programs or multiple tabs on opera -even it makes my opera unresponsive when opening fully packed sites, also I had to close touchwiz and everything else to play xtrakt; and so on...

so what's going on here? again I compare this to my old phone Xperia X1, it has 140+MB of FREE RAM after boot, O2 by the same state left me with puny 30MB of RAM with touchwiz on and only 55MB with touchwiz off....then when I open samsung main menu it reduced again by some 6.7MB.......quite ridiculous actually, a device this high end left me with 20MB of free RAM to use.....lol....this ain't 2003 PPC with WM2003....!

how do I get more free RAM for this phone? disabling touchwiz doesn't really helps it, does it?

seriously, I cannot keep opening web with opera, playing video with core player, opening sms and document editor at the same time....some of them just auto closing and even when opens, they clearly seen needs more RAM...

isn't the point of wm devices multi tasking???

What have you installed on your phone?

I have installed SPB Mobile shell 3.5 (Consumes 10MB), S2U2 2.14 (consumes 5 MB), themes, skins, TaskBar, system utilities, weather apps, etc.. which are about 25 applications or so and after each boot, I'll have about 59MB to 61MB FREE RAM! I'm just wondering what have you installed in there!?

For the start, take a look at your "Windows Startup" folder to get rid of some unnecessary *.lnk :D

^almost all default from samsung wm6.5 ROM with touchwiz

I have only installed : core player, resco explorer, sktools and some games, I can assure you none directly opened at startup.....

the root of the problem as far as I can tell is that the phone somehow and for some reason RESERVED ALMOST 50% OF THE RAM (about 100MB!).......it's clearly stated on samsung memory settings on ram subcategory!

so in the end even after startup my phone left with 30-50MB of RAM only depending on touchwiz enabled or disabled.....

what ROM do you use? and which version of wm? do you have touchwiz installed? (not enabled or disabled)

as for my startup folder, it contains :

alarmwatcher.ink

autorotation.ink (I guess this has something to do with orientation detection from the stickied thread)

chomemanager.ink

linkmgr.exe

orientationdetection.ink (from the stickied thread)

playerautoupdate.ink

poultook.ink

screencapture.ink

sendmtmsg.ink

that's all....

I'm still confused with that reserved RAM...where have they gone to?

but the 1st ranked on my suspicion list for this reserved RAM is the touchwiz...perhaps not....no clue here....and no clue how can I get more free RAM :D

Edited by nap_rz

Guest lifemaximum
^almost all default from samsung wm6.5 ROM with touchwiz

I have only installed : core player, resco explorer, sktools and some games, I can assure you none directly opened at startup.....

the root of the problem as far as I can tell is that the phone somehow and for some reason RESERVED ALMOST 50% OF THE RAM (about 100MB!).......it's clearly stated on samsung memory settings on ram subcategory!

so in the end even after startup my phone left with 30-50MB of RAM only depending on touchwiz enabled or disabled.....

what ROM do you use? and which version of wm? do you have touchwiz installed? (not enabled or disabled)

as for my startup folder, it contains :

alarmwatcher.ink

autorotation.ink (I guess this has something to do with orientation detection from the stickied thread)

chomemanager.ink

linkmgr.exe

orientationdetection.ink (from the stickied thread)

playerautoupdate.ink

poultook.ink

screencapture.ink

sendmtmsg.ink

that's all....

I'm still confused with that reserved RAM...where have they gone to?

but the 1st ranked on my suspicion list for this reserved RAM is the touchwiz...perhaps not....no clue here....and no clue how can I get more free RAM :D

I have got the same problem , really hoping someone could come up with a solution for this , it is getting some what annoying ,

I pay so much for this high end phone and with all programs closed at the moment i got 33.39 MB free only....

would it help disabling the whole touchwiz ui ? how to go about that to get the original look of windows mobile , they have removed that setting in win mobile 6.5 last time it had it....?? i rather have functionality than prettiness .

Guest ray1234
What have you installed on your phone?

I have installed SPB Mobile shell 3.5 (Consumes 10MB), S2U2 2.14 (consumes 5 MB), themes, skins, TaskBar, system utilities, weather apps, etc.. which are about 25 applications or so and after each boot, I'll have about 59MB to 61MB FREE RAM! I'm just wondering what have you installed in there!?

For the start, take a look at your "Windows Startup" folder to get rid of some unnecessary *.lnk :D

The 60MB is only at startup, after a while of use it'll go to 40MB-50MB, and normally 40MB of free ram should still be ok, but not for Omnia2, it will start closing programs automatically when it goes down to 40MB.

The only solution I have is to stay at WM6.1 and disable TouchWiz, which is not a problem for me as I don't like Touchwiz anyway. Without Touchwiz, the ram startup at about 90MB free with WM6.1 and goes to about 70MB after a while, 70MB is enough to do multitasking.

I have got the same problem , really hoping someone could come up with a solution for this , it is getting some what annoying ,

I pay so much for this high end phone and with all programs closed at the moment i got 33.39 MB free only....

would it help disabling the whole touchwiz ui ? how to go about that to get the original look of windows mobile , they have removed that setting in win mobile 6.5 last time it had it....?? i rather have functionality than prettiness .

finally, someone with the same feeling about this....

as far as I can tell, disabling touchwiz will only give u about 55MB of RAM, still way too few for most multitasking...

what can we hope is to somehow REMOVE the whole touchwiz from the phone, which I fear only can be done with custom/cooked ROM which make the factory guarantee void; however considering this is a high end phone and we paid a premium price for this phone, and expected to get the most from it's hardware then it could be worth it.

as for downgrading to wm6.1, I don't think us who already experience 6.5 will want to do so....especially on a phone without in-house stylus...and as matter of fact, I don't know how to downgrade my phone -which is also voiding my guarantee (not so sure about this), downgrade + voiding guarantee = no no for me :D-.

Edited by nap_rz

Guest miroalex

but why memory of i8000 is low it has to be 256mb RAM and 512mb ROM for installing application... what about HD2 is there anybody to knkow how much free ram it has (with installed applications) I'm a little bit disappointed because i was very happy about i8000 and I was going to buy it...

Guest skoda60
I'm still using the out of the box wm6.5 rom here....and I'm curious about this reserved RAM., since I don't see it helps phone's performance yet it consume so much RAM that for examples I'm not able to open multiple programs or multiple tabs on opera -even it makes my opera unresponsive when opening fully packed sites, also I had to close touchwiz and everything else to play xtrakt; and so on...

so what's going on here? again I compare this to my old phone Xperia X1, it has 140+MB of FREE RAM after boot, O2 by the same state left me with puny 30MB of RAM with touchwiz on and only 55MB with touchwiz off....then when I open samsung main menu it reduced again by some 6.7MB.......quite ridiculous actually, a device this high end left me with 20MB of free RAM to use.....lol....this ain't 2003 PPC with WM2003....!

how do I get more free RAM for this phone? disabling touchwiz doesn't really helps it, does it?

Totally agree, it will started to closing program when program RAM dropped to 50mb. When below 50mb it will not stable. This happened on WM6.1 as well. Previous Omnia with 20+MB still can opened few program. This maybe Samsung serious bugs. Because of this I try out many version of ROM like IH3, IH5, IJ3, IK5 and now was on Tough Flow IK5 version. Still facing the same problem. Just after the soft reset I have 58mb RAM. After using a while then closed all tasks and found out I lost about 10mb. used stool's free ram. It recovered back 3mb. Do a soft reset to get back the full memory.Samsung had improved the toughwiz menu over the WM6.1. Whenver you activated the menu it take away 9mb ram where 6.5 only take out about 5mb. But 50MB on program memory still a big problem. Once it reached 40MB. When you are browsing the internet, goto sms a text msg and no way backed to where you were before. Browser was kill. It was very nuisance.

Totally agree, it will started to closing program when program RAM dropped to 50mb. When below 50mb it will not stable. This happened on WM6.1 as well. Previous Omnia with 20+MB still can opened few program. This maybe Samsung serious bugs. Because of this I try out many version of ROM like IH3, IH5, IJ3, IK5 and now was on Tough Flow IK5 version. Still facing the same problem. Just after the soft reset I have 58mb RAM. After using a while then closed all tasks and found out I lost about 10mb. used stool's free ram. It recovered back 3mb. Do a soft reset to get back the full memory.Samsung had improved the toughwiz menu over the WM6.1. Whenver you activated the menu it take away 9mb ram where 6.5 only take out about 5mb. But 50MB on program memory still a big problem. Once it reached 40MB. When you are browsing the internet, goto sms a text msg and no way backed to where you were before. Browser was kill. It was very nuisance.

have u tried custom rom without touchwiz?

if this also happening in wm 6.1 then it's clearly samsung's fault or something from their software because I can swear Xperia X1 had 140+ MB free RAM using wm 6.1 and after removing all the panels...both phone have the same amount of RAM : 256MB...

I am not sure , and i am not very tech savvy but is it possible it has been reserved for when you need to restore your phone , when doing hard rest?

RAM..., any kind of working RAM anywhere., if it stays true to the definition of RAM, then the data stored inside it will always be wiped out when the hardware is switched off or restarted.

so that's not it.

what you were talking about is called ROM.

Guest skoda60
have u tried custom rom without touchwiz?

if this also happening in wm 6.1 then it's clearly samsung's fault or something from their software because I can swear Xperia X1 had 140+ MB free RAM using wm 6.1 and after removing all the panels...both phone have the same amount of RAM : 256MB...

Already installed PDA I8000NXXIK5(Tough Flow 1.3 version), CSC I8000ATOIK5, PHONE I8000XXIJ4. Now still on waiting another more Leen cooked ROM. The 50mb cruiser point may not on Samsung problem but on Microsoft site.Recalled many years backed, SE P990i also kill by the Symbian UIQ3. Now I used my Omnia2 have to run memory check, task manager and soft reset on both WM6.1 and 6.5. Where this was not happened on Omnia1. I concluded that 50mb left was equivalent to 10mb on older wm5 device.When I was on 6.1 IH5 ROM, after the program installed. I had free storage memory 100MB and free 70MB program memory. When you going to start a new section next time if it only have 50mb+ free RAM, then better to do a soft reset. You see how nuisance on Omnia2.

Guest awarner (MVP)

This topic started off talking about RAM and them moved straight on to Main Memory space.

On a soft reset I have 47MB free but this generally goes down to around the 23MB mark, Main Storage is 20MB but only after SKTools has a clean and removes temp files etc.

I have SPB Mobile Shell installed plus the excellent MSkip ProPlus Basic + Ultimate for Spb Mobile Shell 3, together both take up 20MB+ but it's worth it. Mobileshell makes the Omnia into a decent device (better than that touchWiz bloatware rubbish) and Mskip improves it even more.

This topic started off talking about RAM and them moved straight on to Main Memory space.

On a soft reset I have 47MB free but this generally goes down to around the 23MB mark, Main Storage is 20MB but only after SKTools has a clean and removes temp files etc.

I have SPB Mobile Shell installed plus the excellent MSkip ProPlus Basic + Ultimate for Spb Mobile Shell 3, together both take up 20MB+ but it's worth it. Mobileshell makes the Omnia into a decent device (better than that touchWiz bloatware rubbish) and Mskip improves it even more.

errr, who talks about main storage (ROM)? not me, my original question stand still, I was and still asking about where have all these (almost half of) RAM gone to? I do not believe there is 100 MB difference in RAM requirement between wm6.1 and wm 6.5.

Already installed PDA I8000NXXIK5(Tough Flow 1.3 version), CSC I8000ATOIK5, PHONE I8000XXIJ4. Now still on waiting another more Leen cooked ROM. The 50mb cruiser point may not on Samsung problem but on Microsoft site.Recalled many years backed, SE P990i also kill by the Symbian UIQ3. Now I used my Omnia2 have to run memory check, task manager and soft reset on both WM6.1 and 6.5. Where this was not happened on Omnia1. I concluded that 50mb left was equivalent to 10mb on older wm5 device.When I was on 6.1 IH5 ROM, after the program installed. I had free storage memory 100MB and free 70MB program memory. When you going to start a new section next time if it only have 50mb+ free RAM, then better to do a soft reset. You see how nuisance on Omnia2.

hm that's interesting, but sorry, which ROM do you use? can I see it? it has no touchwiz? I meant not disabled but completely removed? just plain wm 6.5 there?

and as I said above,

really? wm 6.5 consumes that much RAM? about 100MB more than 6.1? wtf? if that's so why I haven't seen people bitching about wm 6.5 on the net? gsmarena review's about wm 6.5 for example also don't mention about this? I think this is not a small matter if a new OS, consume so much RAM that practically and effectively makes the available RAM cut off by almost half for actually nothing/no benefit?

easy example is Vista, all the world complained about how it requires so much RAM when it was released and is still today.

Edited by nap_rz

Guest skoda60
errr, who talks about main storage (ROM)? not me, my original question stand still, I was and still asking about where have all these (almost half of) RAM gone to? I do not believe there is 100 MB difference in RAM requirement between wm6.1 and wm 6.5.

hm that's interesting, but sorry, which ROM do you use? can I see it? it has no touchwiz? I meant not disabled but completely removed? just plain wm 6.5 there?

and as I said above,

really? wm 6.5 consumes that much RAM? about 100MB more than 6.1? wtf? if that's so why I haven't seen people bitching about wm 6.5 on the net? gsmarena review's about wm 6.5 for example also don't mention about this? I think this is not a small matter if a new OS, consume so much RAM that practically and effectively makes the available RAM cut off by almost half for actually nothing/no benefit?

easy example is Vista, all the world complained about how it requires so much RAM when it was released and is still today.

The first cooked ROM only PDA part. PDA I8000NXXIK5(Tough Flow 1.3 version), it can be downloaded in this forum.

Guest skoda60
finally, someone with the same feeling about this....

the whole touchwiz from the phone, which I fear only can be done with custom/cooked ROM which make the factory guarantee void; however considering this is a high end phone and we paid a premium price for this phone, and expected to get the most from it's hardware then it could be worth it.

as for downgrading to wm6.1, I don't think us who already experience 6.5 will want to do so....especially on a phone without in-house stylus...and as matter of fact, I don't know how to downgrade my phone -which is also voiding my guarantee (not so sure about this), downgrade + voiding guarantee = no no for me :D -.

1) Toughwiz can only be disabled in WM6.1.2) I will fresher back the ROM which was originally in the phone, so no warranty void lah. 3) I learned it here in the pinned topic, good and clear instruction if you have window XP.

Guest chris8999
thank you :D

thing is, I need this shiny new pricey device to be able to multitask.... :(

Hi everyone!!!

Forget Samsung OMNIA 2. Just buy an ACER S200 neotouch and you will get 95 MB FREE RAM. (it drops down from 110 to 95 Mb Free RAM after a while...). I have installed a Titanium windows mobile Theme, which uses some free RAM.

Without this Theme I have 115 MB RAM after a soft Reset. This should be enough!!! Not to mention that it has a 1 GHZ Snapdragon CPU, which is much faster than Samsung 800 MHZ CPU!!!

Even the new Touch Flo 3D version 2.5 from HTC LEO is working on ACER S200!!! (custom ROM)

greetings

Edited by chris8999

So the question is, is this reserved memory actually being used for anything, or is it simply blocked from being accesed for use. I'm guessing it's the latter, the question is; why was it designed this way, and will we have to wait for Samsung to open it up for us or would it be possible to do it ourselves?

Guest fifd2005
I'm also curious, aside from a few people who already posted above, anyone else find this annoying and unacceptable?

I agree.

I also would like to know who and why reserverved for so much ram and Why I cant use it