what for and why do OMNIA 2 reserved 50% of it RAM?

Guest Tauseef Shahzad

I wonder if it is possible to move atleast 64MB chunk of reserved RAM to 256MB Rom or even to builtin 16GB storage ??

It would require some virtual memory management ? Being a newbie I am not sure if virtual memory management exist for Windows Mobile or not...

Guest Dryster
SKTools>Shadow Servces>Shadow Cleaner> ENABLED

Shadow Cleaner is only for main storage memory (ROM) cleanup - you must have meant FreeUp RAM shadow service, right? :)

Guest Tauseef Shahzad

Just wondering, if it is possible to set a part of internal 16GB storage instead of system RAM in order to free more RAM???

Guest tothezenith

Here’s my input on the topic after reading all 16 pages and making a few changes…

Free Program Memory originally from FRESH START, no changes = 29Mb

After standard usage apps used then closed (Opera, phone, Media Player, etc.) = 24Mb

After apply the following three reg edits (I didn’t really notice a significant improvement individually… 1Mb here, 2Mb there…)

FRESH START, no changes = 34Mb

After standard usage, all apps closed = 29Mb

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell\LowMem

Change ProgramMem from 17 to 96

AND

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE ->

change limit from 32768 to 16384 (original post says 8192)

change limit0 from 7328 to 24576 (original post says 8192)

AND

HKLM\System\OOM->

change cbLow from ? to 32768

change cbVlow from ? to 32768

change cpLow from ? to 16

change cpVlow from 64 to 16

(P.S. I forgot to write original numbers down before change, so if someone could please let me know in case I need to change them back)

By far the biggest improvement was removing just three unnecessary apps from the \Windows\Startup directory.

FRESH START = 51Mb

After standard usage, all apps closed = 45Mb

PlayerAutoUpdate

ScreenCapture

AutoRotation

Notes on this:

PlayerAutoUpdate – I just now manually update as needed when I load any new media on

ScreenCapture – Reassigned the task switcher button from Task Switcher to the old WinMo Task Manager

AutoRotation – I have manually assigned task switcher press+hold button to rotate anyway.

And finally the last step I took was to install Chainfire’s AutoClosePatch:

After standard usage, all apps closed = 49Mb

All the above changes has definitely increased the usability of this phone, and I hope all the information I gathered will help at least a few of you.

To test out how many apps I could load at once now with all these changes, I just went crazy…

With all the following apps loaded I still had 30Mb free!

GarminXT

Opera

Windows Media Player

Messaging

Google Maps

Unit Converter

Phone Dialler

Calculator

SK Tools

Marketplace

Scheduler

File Explorer

Messenger

Guest jebise
Here’s my input on the topic after reading all 16 pages and making a few changes…

Free Program Memory originally from FRESH START, no changes = 29Mb

After standard usage apps used then closed (Opera, phone, Media Player, etc.) = 24Mb

After apply the following three reg edits (I didn’t really notice a significant improvement individually… 1Mb here, 2Mb there…)

FRESH START, no changes = 34Mb

After standard usage, all apps closed = 29Mb

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell\LowMem

Change ProgramMem from 17 to 96

AND

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE ->

change limit from 32768 to 16384 (original post says 8192)

change limit0 from 7328 to 24576 (original post says 8192)

AND

HKLM\System\OOM->

change cbLow from ? to 32768

change cbVlow from ? to 32768

change cpLow from ? to 16

change cpVlow from 64 to 16

(P.S. I forgot to write original numbers down before change, so if someone could please let me know in case I need to change them back)

By far the biggest improvement was removing just three unnecessary apps from the \Windows\Startup directory.

FRESH START = 51Mb

After standard usage, all apps closed = 45Mb

PlayerAutoUpdate

ScreenCapture

AutoRotation

Notes on this:

PlayerAutoUpdate – I just now manually update as needed when I load any new media on

ScreenCapture – Reassigned the task switcher button from Task Switcher to the old WinMo Task Manager

AutoRotation – I have manually assigned task switcher press+hold button to rotate anyway.

And finally the last step I took was to install Chainfire’s AutoClosePatch:

After standard usage, all apps closed = 49Mb

All the above changes has definitely increased the usability of this phone, and I hope all the information I gathered will help at least a few of you.

To test out how many apps I could load at once now with all these changes, I just went crazy…

With all the following apps loaded I still had 30Mb free!

GarminXT

Opera

Windows Media Player

Messaging

Google Maps

Unit Converter

Phone Dialler

Calculator

SK Tools

Marketplace

Scheduler

File Explorer

Messenger

or you get a lite ROM and could easily get 100+MB of usable RAM on boot. Of course we still need to figure out how to reduce the reserved RAM, maybe reserve 15MB from my storage just for pagepool? that would give us an extra 15MB

Edited by jebise

Guest tothezenith
or you get a lite ROM and could easily get 100+MB of usable RAM on boot. Of course we still need to figure out how to reduce the reserved RAM, maybe reserve 15MB from my storage just for pagepool? that would give us an extra 15MB

I was talking about system memory, not storage memory. We can't release much reserved memory, but can take steps to increase the available RAM so apps dont run out and start closing.

Guest jebise
I was talking about system memory, not storage memory. We can't release much reserved memory, but can take steps to increase the available RAM so apps dont run out and start closing.

i also meant system memory, if you use tw2 JE1 ROM with that not only do you get 300MB of device storage but 100MB of usable system memory aka RAM.

Guest dwallersv

The huge error Samsung made with the O2 (and the O1) was in not accounting for the (obvious, IMO) advanced user context for the phone.

There's plenty of RAM available to run the phone smoothly with a nice UI experience, if you simply stick to the pre-installed software. Samsung, like every device mfg these days, tries to provide a "complete" product -- i.e., something that doesn't need any other applications/software added, or running resident all the time, to make full use of the phone.

There's all the multimedia functionality (touchplayer, etc.), PIM stuff (Office Mobile, email, etc.), communications, photo, and on and on. If you can be satisfied with TouchWiz, and all the other built-in apps, the phone is very nice, performs well, and does pretty well with the hardware config, including RAM, provided.

For most of us here, that is a big "So What?!?!?", or, "Don't Care!". No matter which brand of WM phone, we "advanced user" types will toss a lot of the existing s/w, especially shells, players, and on and on, and tweak tweak tweak the hell out of the thing. This means we wind up with RAM hungry, always-resident things like SPB Mobile Shell, task monitors/managers, and other stuff, and -- here's another biggie -- we're tend to be people that value multitasking a lot, which translates into leaving various routine apps loaded and running, like Opera.

This quickly eats up free RAM, and with Windows Mobile's braindead memory management system, can start causing problems with as much as 20-40MB of "free" (see my analysis in this thread to understand that "free" doesn't really mean what you think in WM) memory unused.

Samsung blew it. Their competitors, particularly HTC seem to "get it". RAM is so cheap, that realistically Samsung could have doubled the RAM in the device without a price change. The hit to their profit margin would be tiny. Even if that is an issue, just bump the price by the wholesale cost of the larger chip -- seriously, we're talking a few bucks here. Something that carriers wouldn't blink at to sign you up to a 2 year contract.

Finally, there's always the option of offering two different versions... The Omnia II, and the Omnia II Pro, for example. The Pro has 512MB of RAM. It costs a little more. I would have paid the extra $50 or whatever it would have been without blinking.

I don't know if the memory is a conventional discrete IC, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't. It would be really interesting to take an O2 and replace the SMT IC with the same mfg, type, product line, etc. but with twice the memory, and see what happens. I would expect that the rest of the hardware, and WM, would see this and simply configure properly for it, but can't be sure. It would be an interesting experiment. One that I can't afford to do :rolleyes:

Guest jebise
The huge error Samsung made with the O2 (and the O1) was in not accounting for the (obvious, IMO) advanced user context for the phone.

There's plenty of RAM available to run the phone smoothly with a nice UI experience, if you simply stick to the pre-installed software. Samsung, like every device mfg these days, tries to provide a "complete" product -- i.e., something that doesn't need any other applications/software added, or running resident all the time, to make full use of the phone.

There's all the multimedia functionality (touchplayer, etc.), PIM stuff (Office Mobile, email, etc.), communications, photo, and on and on. If you can be satisfied with TouchWiz, and all the other built-in apps, the phone is very nice, performs well, and does pretty well with the hardware config, including RAM, provided.

For most of us here, that is a big "So What?!?!?", or, "Don't Care!". No matter which brand of WM phone, we "advanced user" types will toss a lot of the existing s/w, especially shells, players, and on and on, and tweak tweak tweak the hell out of the thing. This means we wind up with RAM hungry, always-resident things like SPB Mobile Shell, task monitors/managers, and other stuff, and -- here's another biggie -- we're tend to be people that value multitasking a lot, which translates into leaving various routine apps loaded and running, like Opera.

This quickly eats up free RAM, and with Windows Mobile's braindead memory management system, can start causing problems with as much as 20-40MB of "free" (see my analysis in this thread to understand that "free" doesn't really mean what you think in WM) memory unused.

Samsung blew it. Their competitors, particularly HTC seem to "get it". RAM is so cheap, that realistically Samsung could have doubled the RAM in the device without a price change. The hit to their profit margin would be tiny. Even if that is an issue, just bump the price by the wholesale cost of the larger chip -- seriously, we're talking a few bucks here. Something that carriers wouldn't blink at to sign you up to a 2 year contract.

Finally, there's always the option of offering two different versions... The Omnia II, and the Omnia II Pro, for example. The Pro has 512MB of RAM. It costs a little more. I would have paid the extra $50 or whatever it would have been without blinking.

I don't know if the memory is a conventional discrete IC, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't. It would be really interesting to take an O2 and replace the SMT IC with the same mfg, type, product line, etc. but with twice the memory, and see what happens. I would expect that the rest of the hardware, and WM, would see this and simply configure properly for it, but can't be sure. It would be an interesting experiment. One that I can't afford to do :rolleyes:

if they where smart they would have done this even 384MB would be more then enough and if they had then there profit margin would be 10x higher in sells. Talking to a bell rep that new jack s*** about phones said get the iphone its a better product because it just a lot faster then the omnia. Now if each rep did that around the world and you can clearly see the difference in performance between the two at the store, the average joe would always pick the iphone. Only reason i did not was because of lite ROM's. This alone is takes a good phone and giving it bad reviews and because the manfactures where to cheap to think it through.

Side by side the omnia is super slow so the locgial choice is iphone for average people, even through the omnia far surpasses the iphones hardware

Edited by jebise

Guest Odysseas07

Hello

Can we find something to reset the gwes.exe without doind soft reset on mobile ???

If we can do this maybe we can fix the problem with gwes leaks !!!!

thanksssss

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Billbates

darn still no permanent solution after all this long chat, but seeing it from all views, it seems possible we just have to dig deeper or test more :) thanks to those who worked on temporary fixes. Will inform this community for any update... hopefully

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest bobhero

Heck, even an extra 16-32MB of RAM would have made a huge difference. Diamond/Touch Pro/Touch Pro 2 all have 288MB (only 32MB more) and they get by pretty well.

Also, would it have killed samsung to include one 3 cent LED for notifications :)

Guest CrescendoFire

LED Notification: 3cent multiply by 3 millions sold... let's see if they gonna bankrupt or not... Yeah, the first pre-production of this omnia is great with LED at the cube button, but Sammy take it away... It's gonna make them bankrupt said the Sammy spokesman... >,<

• 1 month later...