Best video format for I8000

Guest vnthanh

I'm curently looking for the most balanced between quality and size video format for my Omnia2(using Media player)

Any of you guys can suggest me one and the converter either(format factory's cool but so slow)   :D

Thanks so much :(

basically any xvid, divx, mpeg4, or wmv video will play perfect (touchplayer), as long as the bitrate isn't too crazy...

for all other formats, i would use coreplayer. :D

Guest dwallersv
basically any xvid, divx, mpeg4, or wmv video will play perfect (touchplayer), as long as the bitrate isn't too crazy...

for all other formats, i would use coreplayer. :D

Why wouldn't you use coreplayer for those formats above too? I do.

the O2 has native divx and xvid playback, the vids just seem smoother in touch player. Also, h.264 works FAR better in touch player than in coreplayer.

the bottom line is that the O2 can play basically any non-HD video file, there is no real need for converting videos (especially with overclock).

PS: i have heard that coreplayer is capable of utilizing the O2's full 16m colors (using RGB mode)...

Could anyone confirm this?

Edited by qtilt

Guest tropolite

I watch MMedia a lot and I've had no issue with the TouchPlayer - works a dream. No problems at all with any of my .avi files. You just need to make sure the .avi's are configured correctly from the start.

A suggestion would be to google 'AVIdemux', a freeware app that does a great job, and fast, to convert or create clean avi files. Use Xvid, and MP3 (lame), in and pack it in an AVI format. You won't have a problem with playing files on your O2 or other players.

Guest tropolite

You can reduce the bitrate and size quite easily skinnypupp and you will still get great quality and much smaller files.

Try having the max width @ 640 and only around 600-900 bitrate ave and you will still get great results.

Guest skinnypupp

With 16GB of storage, I'm not that concerned about file size. I also want to use as much of the beautiful WVGA Omnia II screen as possible :D

Edited by skinnypupp

Guest vnthanh
With 16GB of storage, I'm not that concerned about file size. I also want to use as much of the beautiful WVGA Omnia II screen as possible :D

One day i realized that i`ve got only 2Gb left and that's when i started worrying =="

Guest vnthanh
As long you use the CorePlayer, don't worry much about the format and just pick the lightest file-size which won't kill your storage! :D

The previous one of mine was v1.3.6.Build.7427. It gets really lag and i can't figure out the best settings, and it doesn't support big thumbs neither. So i gave up using it :(

Guest bobobird
... and it doesn't support big thumbs neither. So i gave up using it :D

Right on...

Sometimes I wonder if users actually think through their recommendations.

Coreplayer, great and all that, but the tiny tiny menus etc is the main reason I stopped using it.

One would have thought that coreplayer would have redone the interface by now...

Guest awarner (MVP)

I use SPB Mobile DVD to convert my dvd and video files, then core player to view all vids on the phone. What I hate about the inbuilt player is the stupid non standard format of 720 pixels.

Why not use the whole 800x480?

I use the best settings when converting, file size are around the 500-600MB but quality and playback is perfect.

Mobile DVD is not the cheapest option but it's a simple few clcik process and suits me fine.

As for Core player I'm still using the TCPMP 0.72RC1 version so no idea what the newer versions can do.

Guest williamclw

i convert everything into divx files using divx converter..

yes it does say expired after 15 days... so just change the date to a date before that.. change it back when your done.

i convert using the home video option... then slightly change the resolution to be under 720x420.

I use SPB Mobile DVD to convert my dvd and video files, then core player to view all vids on the phone. What I hate about the inbuilt player is the stupid non standard format of 720 pixels.

I use the best settings when converting, file size are around the 500-600MB but quality and playback is perfect.

Mobile DVD is not the cheapest option but it's a simple few clcik process and suits me fine.

As for Core player I'm still using the TCPMP 0.72RC1 version so no idea what the newer versions can do.

tcpmp 0.72rc1 with plug ins blows the retail version of coreplayer away. I get around 20% better performance. Thats alot!!

Guest bobobird

Conversion - lots of work just to get a few more pixels up !!! :D

There is a "stretched" option if that is any help.

Guest awarner (MVP)

Streched option does not help as such, the converter I use does not have this 720 option in the settings so everything I do is set to 800 and the inbuilt player will not touch them as they are larger than 720.

I also hate the way the player constantly does a search for eveything just because you have added one new file.

I do not believe in editing the registry like you have to with the photo app just to limit the folders it looks in.

The app is so poorly designed that it's practically unusable.

@Doombringer have you installed Compact framework? only thing I can think off as such as to why it may not be working?

Guest Doombringer

yes I have installed compact framework 3.5 also tried other versions(like tcpmp.arm_ce2) but no luck.

it says send crash.txt to programmer, I am uploaded it here too to see if it clears things.

Maybe someone can upload their cabs so I can try out, it can be just a broken cab after all.

crash.txt

Guest filougk

My x264 profile for Omnia II with MeGUI encoder. Videos produced with it can be played on Touch player (hardware decoding) if you choose an output resolution <= 720x480. You may wish to change the bitrate, 512kbits is enough for Anime ( ~80-90 mo for 24 mins MP4 video file, 0 decoding artifacts / macro blocks so far ). This profile nearly reach the maximum H264 hardware decoding profile of the Omnia II, need more testing to maximize it but the results are already decent. 

post-612792-1260217314_thumb.jpg

Edited by filougk

• 4 weeks later...

What if we want the whole screen used?

Convert to WMV (which version?) at 800*480 with hardcoded subs if necessary and play with WMP?

Is that efficient in terms of compression and is it easy on the processor?

What combination gives hardware-accelerated playback?

Sorry but I've never dealt with video on mobile devices before.

Guest iamspuzzum

720x480p, audio resampled down to 44100 and aspect resized down to 480x320 using avisynth and virtualdub (freeware, videohelp.com for guides), then output in virtualdub w/ lame mp3 at 44100, 192, and video compressed with ffdshow's xvid, single pass of 1500. .. 1/2hr episode of 'Weeds' comes to 377mb's. Upscales to 720x480 perfectly :)tools:dgdemux - indexes the dvdavisynth2.5 - scripting engine.. easy once you get the basics downvirtualdub - editor that comes in a few flavours.. even an mpeg version, so dgindex and avisynth wouldn't be neededffdshow - codec that can do pretty much all types of encodes, from normsl svi, to divx/xvid, to h263/h263+, and h264 mp4'sall tools, and guides at videohelp. doom9 is also a good site :)

Edited by iamspuzzum