09/Feb 1.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM - U8230 Vanilla Style (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest robot1000
What browser are you using? Try using a different one.

It doesn't seem work with any of my browsers. I've also tried downloading it with the Downthemall firefox add on, but it just downloads the homepage.

Guest le_lutin
It doesn't seem work with any of my browsers. I've also tried downloading it with the Downthemall firefox add on, but it just downloads the homepage.

That's weird, works for me in Opera just by left clicking straight on the link.

Guest giryan

Have you tried right clicking and chosing save as...?

Just using the browser instead of any download managers or anything like that?

Romraid uses referer checking to ensure that people from elsewhere aren't linking to the ROMs, what's probably happening is that somehow your browser is not passing the referer info along.

Guest JingleManSweep

I've mirrored quite a few of the MoDaCo files on my VPS server, try here:

http://dl.7007.co.uk/android/modaco/pulse

I think the file you require is:

http://dl.7007.co.uk/android/modaco/pulse/...core-signed.zip

Guest robot1000
I've mirrored quite a few of the MoDaCo files on my VPS server, try here:

http://dl.7007.co.uk/android/modaco/pulse

I think the file you require is:

http://dl.7007.co.uk/android/modaco/pulse/...core-signed.zip

Cheer, those linked works

btw. Does anyone know when the 1.6 or even 2 firmware are going to be released for the Pulse?

Edited by robot1000

Guest le_lutin
Cheer, those linked works

btw. Does anyone know when the 1.6 or even 2 firmware are going to be released for the Pulse?

No-one knows when or even if.

I managed to get this installed. The problem I had with the December update was cured by extracting everything from the zip directly to the SD card rather than to a local folder and then copying to the card.

I have a problem now with the groups tab on the contacts app. Whenever I click it I get an error and have to force close contacts. Anybody have a cure for this?

p.s. I notice in About phone it shows Custom ROM U8230 edition 1.1 rather than 1.2 is that right?

Guest bounty123
I managed to get this installed. The problem I had with the December update was cured by extracting everything from the zip directly to the SD card rather than to a local folder and then copying to the card.

I have a problem now with the groups tab on the contacts app. Whenever I click it I get an error and have to force close contacts. Anybody have a cure for this?

p.s. I notice in About phone it shows Custom ROM U8230 edition 1.1 rather than 1.2 is that right?

Have you done a proper wipe / factory reset before install? The problem you mention used to happen with unwiped installs afaik.

Guest robot1000

I've seemed to have lost the Google Maps app. It's not listed on the menu and It's not listed on the Market.

Any ideas on how I can get it back?

Edit

Never mind, after searching for it through google I found this link. It's for version 3.1.0

Edited by robot1000

Guest le_lutin

I think I might have found a bug with this release.

In messages when you are composing a message from scratch, the text box at the top doesn't have the "type ahead" feature that (i'm pretty sure) exists in the T-mobile ROM.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Apologies if this is a known issue.

Guest le_lutin
Is the word prediction enabled in your TouchPal settings?

P

It is, yes Paul. 

If I press the "+" next to the field, then i am brought to a new field which does have the type ahead (ie will display a list of names according to what I type), but I think in the original T-Mobile ROM the first field also had type ahead. I could be wrong about this though. 

While I have your attention though Paul - many many thanks for the awesome ROM and the work you do.

Guest vladimir.mitevski

Hi, thanks for the ROM, it's amazing. I wonder why after using the phone after 4,5 weeks it starts to lose the sound when somebody is calling me. It rings for 3,4 sec. and stops. And another thing... i cant send SMS from the phone, i try the sim card to another phone and it works so something is wrong with the phone. I just reflash modaco custom ROM - U8230 Vanilla Cupcake but the problem is still here. any help? tnx in advance

Guest chrisnic0

Hopefuly, getting my pulse tomorrow, dont want to turn it on with the Stock rom lol, do i still need to do a wipe, and backup? I think i need to wipe but not backup is that correct? Thanks very much

Chris

Guest giryan
Hopefuly, getting my pulse tomorrow, dont want to turn it on with the Stock rom lol, do i still need to do a wipe, and backup? I think i need to wipe but not backup is that correct? Thanks very much

Chris

I doubt you need to do the wipe. Possibly though, and certainly there will be no harm in doing it as you'll not have any user data that you would loose.

Guest PatrykJP19
Here is my attempt:

Install the CD that came with the phone onto your PC - this is necessary to install USB drivers, adb, etc., so the computer can talk to the phone.

Plug the USB cable in, and make sure the drivers load OK, and that you can see the phone.

Make sure you have synced all your contacts somewhere off the phone, and backed up everything you want to keep.

Download (to your PC) the superboot root image http://content.modaco.net/dropzone/1.1-pulse-superboot.zip

and the recovery image http://content.modaco.net/dropzone/1.2.3-p...nrarecovery.zip

and the MoDaCo Custom 8230 ROM http://www.romraid.com/paul/pulse/update-p...core-signed.zip

and the stock T-Mobile image (in case of emergency) http://content.modaco.net/pulse/update-pul...bile-signed.zip

Turn the phone off, and unplug the USB cable.

Hold the volume down and red (end call) buttons, and press the power button. This puts the phone into bootloader mode.

Plug in the USB cable.

Unzip the superboot file, copy AdbWinApi.dll from the CD that came with the phone into the 1.1-pulse-superboot folder, and run .install-superboot-windows.bat.

Unzip the amonrecovery zip, copy AdbWinApi.dll from the CD that came with the phone into the 1.0-pulse-amonrarecovery folder, and run ._install-recovery-windows.bat.

Now restart the phone by removing the battery.

Go into the applications list (bottom right button on the home screen), and run the "Quick Boot" application that superboot has installed. Choose Recovery, and, when you get the sudo screen asking whether to allow root access, allow it. This puts the phone into recovery mode, which I think is a kind of boot image provided by amonrecovery. It's a bit like Windows recovery mode, or booting a Windows machine with a floppy disk - you can do stuff, but the main operating system is not running.

The first useful thing to do is to take a backup of the entire phone, using the Nandroid Backup option on the recovery menu. This backs up a complete image of the phone's ROM to the SD card, which you can restore later. I then turned USB mass storage on (so I could get to the SD card from my computer), and backed up that image to my computer.

Now wipe the phone by choosing the factory reset option. You will lose all your settings at this point!

Rename the MoDaCo ROM zip (update-pulse-u8230edition-1.0-core-signed.zip) to plain update.zip, and copy it from your computer onto the SD card.

Turn off USB mass storage (so the phone can see the SD card again), and run the "Apply sdcard:update.zip" option. This installs the MoDaCo ROM image.

Finally reboot the phone (from the menu). The reboot takes ages. This is to be expected.

Now test out your new phone. If happy, download your applications again (the My Downloads option in Market should still show them, and even the paid for ones should download and reinstall OK).

If not happy, go back into recovery mode, and restore the backup you took.

I followed this guide and after "Now restart the phone by removing the battery." the phone boots all the time. All I can see is T-Mobile logo, ANDROID logo and this goes on all the time. Can someone help me please?

EDIT: OK I went into recovery mode by pressing Red/Menu/Power and applied custom ROM, everything is working :)

Edited by PatrykJP19

As I described on another thread, I had some difficulty installing this, because of failing to do the ROM transfer properly (I extracted the zip file rather than renaming it update.zip) and then trying to install an (old!) version of superboot. Etc. Worst of all, I never got a nandroid backup of my normal (T-Mobile) ROM. It didn't go well, but I eventually sorted things out and have it running.

It's fantastic: when I first got the phone, I was disappointed at the slowness and some other things. Virtually every issue I had has been rectified and it runs faster than I ever could have hoped, so thank you, Paul! This really is an excellent piece of work.

I have a question, though: I'm occasionally getting errors like Touchpal (and some other apps) stopping unexpectedly, with others (like Bloo) not even loading at all. Many videos on the Youtube app don't work either. Is this a common problem (which I can live with) or is it unique to me because of the messy install? And if the latter, what can I do to fix things, bearing in mind that I don't have a nandroid backup of the phone in its virgin state?

Thanks!

As I described on another thread, I had some difficulty installing this, because of failing to do the ROM transfer properly (I extracted the zip file rather than renaming it update.zip) and then trying to install an (old!) version of superboot. Etc. Worst of all, I never got a nandroid backup of my normal (T-Mobile) ROM. It didn't go well, but I eventually sorted things out and have it running.

It's fantastic: when I first got the phone, I was disappointed at the slowness and some other things. Virtually every issue I had has been rectified and it runs faster than I ever could have hoped, so thank you, Paul! This really is an excellent piece of work.

I have a question, though: I'm occasionally getting errors like Touchpal (and some other apps) stopping unexpectedly, with others (like Bloo) not even loading at all. Many videos on the Youtube app don't work either. Is this a common problem (which I can live with) or is it unique to me because of the messy install? And if the latter, what can I do to fix things, bearing in mind that I don't have a nandroid backup of the phone in its virgin state?

Thanks!

Your best option is to wipe all the user data.

If you use something like Titanium Backup you should be able to restore all of your apps/data back to how it was before the wipe, and then the Force Closes will probably be gone.

Your best option is to wipe all the user data.

If you use something like Titanium Backup you should be able to restore all of your apps/data back to how it was before the wipe, and then the Force Closes will probably be gone.

Sure - is this done in the "wipe" menu of the recovery mode, yeah?

(In fact, I just went the whole hog and unpartitioned my SD card, reinstalled the December update, wiped it etc, and then reinstalled the custom ROM properly so as to avoid doubt, and I'm still getting the force quit problems.)

Guest starkos
Sure - is this done in the "wipe" menu of the recovery mode, yeah?

(In fact, I just went the whole hog and unpartitioned my SD card, reinstalled the December update, wiped it etc, and then reinstalled the custom ROM properly so as to avoid doubt, and I'm still getting the force quit problems.)

Weird you're getting so many force closes.. You could try going into the Recovery menu and run the repair sd ext and the Fix apk uid mismatches options. Have know idea if that will help but it can't do any harm to try lol!

Regarding Touchpal FC, I think there's a thread about that but can't remember if its's actually relevant for you, sorry. You could try going to settings/applications/manage applications and clear data for Touchpal?

Guest Dan Mullen
Weird you're getting so many force closes.. You could try going into the Recovery menu and run the repair sd ext and the Fix apk uid mismatches options. Have know idea if that will help but it can't do any harm to try lol!

Regarding Touchpal FC, I think there's a thread about that but can't remember if its's actually relevant for you, sorry. You could try going to settings/applications/manage applications and clear data for Touchpal?

What does the "Fix apk uid mismatches" do exactly?

Guest starkos
What does the "Fix apk uid mismatches" do exactly?

Would love to know my self to be honest lol :) Just saw fix and apk and thought it must be a good thing, I've used it a couple times out of curiosity (think it may be to do with permissions?) but would still like to know what it actually does. Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable members will share...

Guest sewa0505

Hi,

soo all is working really really great, except one thing: app2sd

Every time i reboot i have to clear the dalvik-cache and fix apk-uid-mismatches to get it working again. This is quite shitty, because i really want to use app2sd.

I think someone complained about this issue some time ago too.

Would be really helpfull if this will be fixed

THANK YOU!!!

Guest Dan Mullen
Hi,

soo all is working really really great, except one thing: app2sd

Every time i reboot i have to clear the dalvik-cache and fix apk-uid-mismatches to get it working again. This is quite shitty, because i really want to use app2sd.

I think someone complained about this issue some time ago too.

Would be really helpfull if this will be fixed

THANK YOU!!!

My brother has to repair the ext partition every time he reboots his phone. It's a pain, but it keeps apps2sd working. I'm sure I read that Paul was looking to add e2fsck to the startup.