09/Feb 1.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM - U8230 Vanilla Style (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest robot1000
I can't believe how stuck I am.. I know you have given instructions at the beginning of this thread.. but am I doing it all wrong ?

Have updated to December version .. so far so good.

Now I have downloaded and unpacked v 1.7.

Should I carry out a nandroid back up now ? There is nothing on my phone any more anyway as I lost this during the december update - happy with that as I can start a fresh anyway.

When copying v 1.7 to the SD card which files should I copy and then what is the process rom there ? Would anyone care to explain this section ? :)

Thanks

(a rather lost) dave

Really no point in doing nandroid backup, as like you said, there is nothing to backup.

You need to copy the zip file to the root of the SD card and then run the recovery application on your phone and choose the option install from zip.

Edit

Looks like someone got there before me lol

Edited by robot1000

Guest giabbe1
Well the forceclosing was fixed by wiping.

Also switched back from ext4 to ext3.

only app giving problems now is my intelligenthome beta...

I do not understand one thing: what should change between the different ext versions? I thought that using ext4 was the best option but now you suggest that it's not true.. what would u guys recommend then?

Yay all seems to be up and running now.

I think I made that about 100 times more difficult than it needed to be.

thanks to those that helped.

Heres to exploring it further :)

Guest Samlock

I imagine this question has probably been asked and answered numerous times already, but I can't find any info on it >.<

Is there a way for me to keep my current homescreen/widget settings when upgrading from 1.6? Nandroid backup, install 1.6 then Nandroid restore seems to put it back to 1.6 (which I assume is what its supposed to do!). Do I just need to give in and start from scratch again? Thankfully not much of an issue as I don't have that much of a "customised" phone, but re-entering all the Orange 3g settings is a pita :)

I imagine this question has probably been asked and answered numerous times already, but I can't find any info on it >.<

Is there a way for me to keep my current homescreen/widget settings when upgrading from 1.6? Nandroid backup, install 1.6 then Nandroid restore seems to put it back to 1.6 (which I assume is what its supposed to do!). Do I just need to give in and start from scratch again? Thankfully not much of an issue as I don't have that much of a "customised" phone, but re-entering all the Orange 3g settings is a pita :)

Use Titanium Backup, it can save pretty much anything that you need.

Guest dundee18

I am hoping someone can help. I have unlocked my phone and have a '3' sim card in but no 3 settings. I have a new Pulse not long out of the box and I tried following Nikki's instructions to install the Rom, although I had downloaded the latest recovery image and rom from the frontpage of this thread. I got as far as unzipping and running the superboot and amonrecovery files then removed my battery to restart the phone.

The phone stayed on so I removed the USB cable to cutteh power and it restarted now it is in a startup loop showing the the T-mobile logo and the Android name. Any advice would be greatfully received.

Thanks in anticipation.

PS how do you get the computer to recognise the USB card as a mass storage device to transfer the rom? Tried doing that but couldn't see a way? Probably because I am not very good with things like this! Thanks

Guest dundee18
I am hoping someone can help. I have unlocked my phone and have a '3' sim card in but no 3 settings. I have a new Pulse not long out of the box and I tried following Nikki's instructions to install the Rom, although I had downloaded the latest recovery image and rom from the frontpage of this thread. I got as far as unzipping and running the superboot and amonrecovery files then removed my battery to restart the phone.

The phone stayed on so I removed the USB cable to cutteh power and it restarted now it is in a startup loop showing the the T-mobile logo and the Android name. Any advice would be greatfully received.

Thanks in anticipation.

PS how do you get the computer to recognise the USB card as a mass storage device to transfer the rom? Tried doing that but couldn't see a way? Probably because I am not very good with things like this! Thanks

I found this as a reply from Paul to someone who sounds like they had a similar problem to me -

"Boot the recovery image (downloaded from the first post) by doing 'fastboot-windows boot recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img'

- Wipe

- Apply the update zip for ONLY the 1.1 ROM (I assume that's what you're trying to apply since you're in this thread)

- Reboot

I'm assuming you don't have the December update.

I don't think you're stupid as you've already installed a bunch of stuff, I think you're just not trying hard enough. "

But how do you do the first step? I am unsure how to boot the recovery image. If someone would be kind enough to give an idiot guide to that step it would be greatly appreciated. I know a little about computers but nothing about programming so all this seems like double-dutch to me I am afraid. Any help greatfully appreciated.

Many thanks.

Changelog

- Built with my new MCR build process which reduces size and boost speed of the ROM

- Updated Busybox - ROM is now compatible with Droid Explorer

- Changed display of SSH password so it is no longer sucked into the user agent

- ROM is now fully odex'd - this will shrink your dalvik-cache, improve performance and generally make the world a happier place

- Titanium Backup is now in ROM. This can backup / restore your apps AND re-link them back to the market!

- Jbed Java is now in ROM

- December update is now mandatory

- Updated MCK

- Added MoDaCo Custom Kernel 1.1 with automatic compcache

- Initial Release

Just wanted to say thanks for adding Droid Explorer support which is a great program and I hope the development continues!

Guest meegaha
I found this as a reply from Paul to someone who sounds like they had a similar problem to me -

"Boot the recovery image (downloaded from the first post) by doing 'fastboot-windows boot recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img'

- Wipe

- Apply the update zip for ONLY the 1.1 ROM (I assume that's what you're trying to apply since you're in this thread)

- Reboot

I'm assuming you don't have the December update.

I don't think you're stupid as you've already installed a bunch of stuff, I think you're just not trying hard enough. "

But how do you do the first step? I am unsure how to boot the recovery image. If someone would be kind enough to give an idiot guide to that step it would be greatly appreciated. I know a little about computers but nothing about programming so all this seems like double-dutch to me I am afraid. Any help greatfully appreciated.

Many thanks.

Install the December update (i.e. download update; unzip; copy the 'dload' folder to your memory card; restart the phone while holding down 'volume +' and 'call end' buttons; etc.). That should fix the reboot loop problem. Then follow the ROM installation instructions and make sure to wipe before installing the new rom.

Good luck.

Guest dundee18
Install the December update (i.e. download update; unzip; copy the 'dload' folder to your memory card; restart the phone while holding down 'volume +' and 'call end' buttons; etc.). That should fix the reboot loop problem. Then follow the ROM installation instructions and make sure to wipe before installing the new rom.

Good luck.

Thanks for your help. I read several posts more closely and managed to get it working. Thanks for your help. The phone does seem better than the T-mobile version.

Thanks, and thanks Paul for creating the Rom.

Guest Casper-vH
I do not understand one thing: what should change between the different ext versions? I thought that using ext4 was the best option but now you suggest that it's not true.. what would u guys recommend then?

I thought I read somewhere that it isnt fully compatible with ext4. Or at least that it becomes more unstable using it. But not sure now. Is there anybody who knows more about this?

Edited by Casper-vH

I thought I read somewhere that it isnt fully compatible with ext4. Or at least that it becomes more unstable using it. But not sure now. Is there anybody who knows more about this?

Yeah there's a bug in the kernel which corrupts ext4 partitions on reboot...stick with ext3 for now.

Is anyone else having issues with touch tone? Basically I call my voicemail listen to it and press '3' to delete from the dialer, but it does not do anything, i.e. does not delete the voicemail.

Is anyone else having issues with touch tone? Basically I call my voicemail listen to it and press '3' to delete from the dialer, but it does not do anything, i.e. does not delete the voicemail.

No problem with MCR 1.7 with this. I only wish that the keyboard protection during a call could be turned off, or at least the timeout could be longer.

Guest Samlock

Are you on Orange by any chance? If so, I don't think your issue is with touch tone, more with Orange being f'ing useless... Give 'em a ring and they'll sort it out. I had this issue a while ago, I ended up just requesting my Voicemail be disabled completely.

If you're not on Orange, sorry I don't have a clue! :)

Guest starkos

Are people still having problems with incoming/outgoing calls with their Pulse? I'm running 1.7 U8230 and sometime people calling me either get a weird ringing tone or just can't get through to me, and sometimes when I call other people I can hear them but they can't hear me! I'm on o2 but these problems happen in places where I know o2 reception is fine..

So has anyone else got similar problems?

Guest Casper-vH
Are people still having problems with incoming/outgoing calls with their Pulse? I'm running 1.7 U8230 and sometime people calling me either get a weird ringing tone or just can't get through to me, and sometimes when I call other people I can hear them but they can't hear me! I'm on o2 but these problems happen in places where I know o2 reception is fine..

So has anyone else got similar problems?

Im having similar problems. While calling people, suddenly I cant hear them anymore. Or I cant even hear the dialing tones. Very strange.

Im using ben.nl (which is a dutch provider using the dutch TMobile network.)

Im having similar problems. While calling people, suddenly I cant hear them anymore. Or I cant even hear the dialing tones. Very strange.

Im using ben.nl (which is a dutch provider using the dutch TMobile network.)

Hmm no problems here, on the Dutch T-Mobile Network.

Guest davidmavila

Hi it's possible to install additional languages with this kind of roms? Just for the onscreen keyboard and auto complete dictionary.

Thanks a lot

Are you on Orange by any chance? If so, I don't think your issue is with touch tone, more with Orange being f'ing useless... Give 'em a ring and they'll sort it out. I had this issue a while ago, I ended up just requesting my Voicemail be disabled completely.

If you're not on Orange, sorry I don't have a clue! :)

I am on Vodafone. Will try this on my 2nd Pulse, going to sell one soon.