09/Feb 1.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM - U8230 Vanilla Style (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest bedevil99

Hi everyone,

I was trying to read the whole thread through in order not to bother anyone with issues I could encounter. But seems like someone up there disagreed with me.

I was trying to to instal the fastboot while in bootloader mode. But there is no sign of activity, the command window just shows the waiting for device entry and that's it. I wiped my phone before doing anything at all in the original recovery mode. Is there something I can do to make it work? I am really new to this so it would be great if you had the patience to explain why isn't it working. Thanks

Guest bedevil99
Hi everyone,

I was trying to read the whole thread through in order not to bother anyone with issues I could encounter. But seems like someone up there disagreed with me.

I was trying to to instal the fastboot while in bootloader mode. But there is no sign of activity, the command window just shows the waiting for device entry and that's it. I wiped my phone before doing anything at all in the original recovery mode. Is there something I can do to make it work? I am really new to this so it would be great if you had the patience to explain why isn't it working. Thanks

Sorry for that I found out the problem wasn't in the process but the fact that I had the phone connected through a usb hub...I am almost there now

Guest daverodney
This ROM is based on the release ROM for the Pulse (together with my own optimisations) for the best possible performance!

Could you clarify? There is a December update but the latest source is dated November, is that the same code? If not then where did you get your source?

Do you plan to publish your own modifications?

Guest ajieboy

Hi.

i have Huawei U8230 with default ROM U8230V100R001C00B250

then i apply Amon Ra Recovery image, and MCR 1.7.

after success apply MCR 1.7, the touchscreen is not usable.

then i replace thee MCR 1.7 boot.img with U8230V100R001C00B250 boot.img and the touchscreen is usable again.

but unfortunately, the camera app is not working. there's Android System error is i use camera app, and forced to close. but this error only happened if i use rear camera and not happened if i use front camera.

please advice

thanks

Guest Xudonax

Great ROM! Like the clean Android interface, light gray+yellow beats black+pink :)

I am only experiencing one little problem. If I enable the USB mass storage on my phone, my Linux computer automatically mounts the VFAT and the Ext partition. This gives loads of problems as the Ext partition is now mounted twice :P

The most obvious problem is that, after a few USB enable/disable sequences, you get mysterious force close messages. Is there any way to stop the mounting of the Ext partition on a PC?

Besides this little problem I really like the ROM and the speed. Also, it installs stuff a lot faster from the market ;)

Guest ajieboy
Great ROM! Like the clean Android interface, light gray+yellow beats black+pink :)

Hi.

which version of pulse do you use?

and the camera app is working?

Guest rmx09

Hello everybody.

Yesterday i have rooted my pulse and flashed the modaco 1.7 vanilla firmware

after doing that, the phone reboots on starting or receiving a call.

Same with U8230V100R001C00B250 boot.img

I tried to pull my stock Libri files with adb, but i think i´m to stupid for this because it doesn´t work.

Can anyone please help me getting calls to work?

EDIT: Tried to pull / push the lib´s once again, and now it works! thx to nikki locke for this fix :P

<3 android vanilla style

Edited by Paul

Help me please, ive followed the above instructions, I have got as far as installing the superboot and recovery bat files, i removed the battery, now the phone wont start up!! It resets approx 20 seconds into its boot up and is stuck in this cycle.

Ive also installed the custom recovery image, I can access this but none of the options are having any effect, they go through the motions but when I reboot the phone goes into this loop!

Desperate to get this sorted.

Edited by Paul

Guest Simon Taylor

Hi Good People!

I've just read the whole of the thread (now my brain hurts a little!)

Sadly my question remains unanswered! I would like to know if there is a way of restoring the Pulse back to how it came from the shop, In case I need to return it on warranty? Some others have asked the same:

bounty123:

Let's say I have to send my customized (recovery img+modaco rom) phone in for warranty service. I therefore reinstall the original ROM on it. Does this also delete the recovery image, so t-mobile can't find out that it was customized at all? Or should the recovery image be deleted in some other way? After putting back the original ROM, can the recovery mode even be accessed in any way?

And carlovel1:

Im new to this but if I install this and I want to revert to the old Tmobile version how can I do this?

With a reply of:

Just go to Settings and update the December firmware

My concern is that T-mobile could tell its been rooted somehow.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

Guest giryan
Hi Good People!

I've just read the whole of the thread (now my brain hurts a little!)

Sadly my question remains unanswered! I would like to know if there is a way of restoring the Pulse back to how it came from the shop, In case I need to return it on warranty? Some others have asked the same:

bounty123:

And carlovel1:

With a reply of:

My concern is that T-mobile could tell its been rooted somehow.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

The December Update as it comes from T-Mobile is not rooted.

So if you install it, it won't be rooted.

Guest Simon Taylor
The December Update as it comes from T-Mobile is not rooted.

So if you install it, it won't be rooted.

Thats great... but what about the Recovery Image?

Guest giryan
Thats great... but what about the Recovery Image?

Oh, that's a different matter entirely. :P

I think that you could probably wipe it from a PC.

The Pulse doesn't come with one installed, so I guess it's just a matter of installing a blank image over the recovery partition or something.

Guest rareuk
Help me please, ive followed the above instructions, I have got as far as installing the superboot and recovery bat files, i removed the battery, now the phone wont start up!! It resets approx 20 seconds into its boot up and is stuck in this cycle.

Ive also installed the custom recovery image, I can access this but none of the options are having any effect, they go through the motions but when I reboot the phone goes into this loop!

I had exactly the same problem, what I had done was I had updated the phone OS to the Dec build from T-moblile website, then followed the instructions you quoted, these instruction involved using 1.1 pulse super boot. This caused my phone to reboot every time at the t-mobile circle loading screen.

What I did was then update using the following pulse superboot file (version 1.5) from this thread. As I had installed the Dec update I used the one specified in the thread i.e version 1.5.

I think yours and my problem arose from us having an OS version greater than the superboot image - possibly!

regards

Mr Singh

Guest Simon Taylor
Oh, that's a different matter entirely. :P

I think that you could probably wipe it from a PC.

The Pulse doesn't come with one installed, so I guess it's just a matter of installing a blank image over the recovery partition or something.

Hmm, interesting. This is perhaps worth a new thread, "How to return your Custom Rom'd Pulse" or something!

I'll do it later, work now!

Guest starkos
Hmm, interesting. This is perhaps worth a new thread, "How to return your Custom Rom'd Pulse" or something!

I'll do it later, work now!

I'm pretty sure flashing the Dec update would also put the Custom Recovery menu back to the stock Huawei recovery menu, which was introduced in the Dec update hence the Menu+Red Key shortcut to boot into recovery. Could be wrong tho ha :P

Guest not so humble german

Hi,

I installed the rom and it works nicely except...

a) installing apps from google market constantly fails. Sometimes after a permissions fix it works again, sometimes not. But one thing always works: installing the app with adb

;) no german language pack for touchpal. Anybody with an idea where I can get one?

c) is it possible to have more than 3 screens?

Guest oOBENJYOo
I had exactly the same problem, what I had done was I had updated the phone OS to the Dec build from T-moblile website, then followed the instructions you quoted, these instruction involved using 1.1 pulse super boot. This caused my phone to reboot every time at the t-mobile circle loading screen.

What I did was then update using the following pulse superboot file (version 1.5) from this thread. As I had installed the Dec update I used the one specified in the thread i.e version 1.5.

I think yours and my problem arose from us having an OS version greater than the superboot image - possibly!

regards

Mr Singh

Thank you this information fixed my loop so thank you for posting this info....seems old guides should be updated with newer links..

Guest oOBENJYOo
Here is my attempt:

Install the CD that came with the phone onto your PC - this is necessary to install USB drivers, adb, etc., so the computer can talk to the phone.

Plug the USB cable in, and make sure the drivers load OK, and that you can see the phone.

Make sure you have synced all your contacts somewhere off the phone, and backed up everything you want to keep.

Download (to your PC) the superboot root image http://content.modaco.net/dropzone/1.1-pulse-superboot.zip

and the recovery image http://content.modaco.net/dropzone/1.2.3-p...nrarecovery.zip

and the MoDaCo Custom 8230 ROM http://www.romraid.com/paul/pulse/update-p...core-signed.zip

and the stock T-Mobile image (in case of emergency) http://content.modaco.net/pulse/update-pul...bile-signed.zip

Turn the phone off, and unplug the USB cable.

Hold the volume down and red (end call) buttons, and press the power button. This puts the phone into bootloader mode.

Plug in the USB cable.

Unzip the superboot file, copy AdbWinApi.dll from the CD that came with the phone into the 1.1-pulse-superboot folder, and run .install-superboot-windows.bat.

Unzip the amonrecovery zip, copy AdbWinApi.dll from the CD that came with the phone into the 1.0-pulse-amonrarecovery folder, and run ._install-recovery-windows.bat.

Now restart the phone by removing the battery.

Go into the applications list (bottom right button on the home screen), and run the "Quick Boot" application that superboot has installed. Choose Recovery, and, when you get the sudo screen asking whether to allow root access, allow it. This puts the phone into recovery mode, which I think is a kind of boot image provided by amonrecovery. It's a bit like Windows recovery mode, or booting a Windows machine with a floppy disk - you can do stuff, but the main operating system is not running.

The first useful thing to do is to take a backup of the entire phone, using the Nandroid Backup option on the recovery menu. This backs up a complete image of the phone's ROM to the SD card, which you can restore later. I then turned USB mass storage on (so I could get to the SD card from my computer), and backed up that image to my computer.

Now wipe the phone by choosing the factory reset option. You will lose all your settings at this point!

Rename the MoDaCo ROM zip (update-pulse-u8230edition-1.0-core-signed.zip) to plain update.zip, and copy it from your computer onto the SD card.

Turn off USB mass storage (so the phone can see the SD card again), and run the "Apply sdcard:update.zip" option. This installs the MoDaCo ROM image.

Finally reboot the phone (from the menu). The reboot takes ages. This is to be expected.

Now test out your new phone. If happy, download your applications again (the My Downloads option in Market should still show them, and even the paid for ones should download and reinstall OK).

If not happy, go back into recovery mode, and restore the backup you took.

Great guide easy to follow but if anyone is following it dont d/l the 1.1 superboot if you have installed december update look for the 1.5 version or you will end up in a loop !

Guest giryan
I'm pretty sure flashing the Dec update would also put the Custom Recovery menu back to the stock Huawei recovery menu, which was introduced in the Dec update hence the Menu+Red Key shortcut to boot into recovery. Could be wrong tho ha ;)

I can confirm that Flashing the December update does install the standard Recovery Menu.

Guest Kinesin

I had the same issue and i think it's the fact that the superboot image version mismatched with the firmware of the phone, the link above is too old.

See the pinned there here for a updated superboot: http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...t-a-custom-rom/

Version for devices WITH the 'December Update' - http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.p...mb0k87f9c51eqg9

Version for devices WITHOUT the 'December Update' - http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.p...65pv39jj2oz6b6e

I installed superboot using but putting the phone in fastboot, and running the install script.

The booted the recovery image directly via 'fastboot boot image.img' wiped the phone and installed the Standard rom to get back to a working phone.

Happy that it was all working I then flashed it again using the image at the start of the thread.

Guest menno2

The reason why I bought an android phone is cause I thought I could

remotely mount my mp3 collection through samba/cifs or NFS.

Now i see some phones have custom roms with the cifs module included.

Are you planning on incorporating this? This way i could finally have my mp3

collection everywhere I go!

Hi,

I used the t-mobile mcr, and today morning i installed the vanilla style mcr.

I had the previously mentioned problem with the closing home screen. Some error message with force closing acore process. The problem is the following, i had icons on other screen, which actually doesn't exists on vanilla launcher, only t-mobile launcher. So i deleted data/com.android.launcher/databases/launcher.db and rebooted my phone. I got a default android home screen, and it is working.

My other problem, which isn't solved yet is the contacts. I think t-mobile modified the schema of the db file which contains the google contacts. I will try to remove all the contacts and resync them.

So i have changed from the t-mobile flavour mcr 1.7 to the vanilla 1.7.

I won't wipe my phone, i have a lot of settings, and messages, and some customization. And it is against my principles ;)

--

hth

Guest giryan
Hi,

I used the t-mobile mcr, and today morning i installed the vanilla style mcr.

I had the previously mentioned problem with the closing home screen. Some error message with force closing acore process. The problem is the following, i had icons on other screen, which actually doesn't exists on vanilla launcher, only t-mobile launcher. So i deleted data/com.android.launcher/databases/launcher.db and rebooted my phone. I got a default android home screen, and it is working.

My other problem, which isn't solved yet is the contacts. I think t-mobile modified the schema of the db file which contains the google contacts. I will try to remove all the contacts and resync them.

So i have changed from the t-mobile flavour mcr 1.7 to the vanilla 1.7.

I won't wipe my phone, i have a lot of settings, and messages, and some customization. And it is against my principles ;)

--

hth

What have you got against backing up and wiping?

It is by far the best way to avoid the issues you're getting.

What have you got against backing up and wiping?

It is by far the best way to avoid the issues you're getting.

I am backin up my data periodically within the recovery image. But now, my contacts (300+) has been screwed up. A backup/wipe/restore wont help. If i get a new sms from a friend, then it starts a new thred. I can see all my contacts, and can call them, but if i start typing a contacts name into the serach field, then it won't show any contact.

I like to understand the essence of the problem. Wipe and restore is a windowis solution to me, i don't like it. I don't say it is wrong. I just don't like it. (I'm working with un*x and linux servers)

--

thanks,

zsolt