samsung stock player is awesome?

Guest Craptastic0

What program/settings is everyone using to encode their videos? I've tried using Handbrake 0.9.3 to convert DVD VOB files into .mp4 and .avi files but I get the same message every time ("This player cannot play this type of file").

I tried encoding using h.264 and xvid with no success (using basic\normal preset, w/ 2-pass encoding, target file size of 800mb, and all other setting left as default). Any recommendations for getting Touch Player to actually play the file?

Guest Ender Psp
What program/settings is everyone using to encode their videos? I've tried using Handbrake 0.9.3 to convert DVD VOB files into .mp4 and .avi files but I get the same message every time ("This player cannot play this type of file").

I tried encoding using h.264 and xvid with no success (using basic\normal preset, w/ 2-pass encoding, target file size of 800mb, and all other setting left as default). Any recommendations for getting Touch Player to actually play the file?

Thanks to my friend here AndyCarroll in his post here I've been able to find the perfect solution for me to encode videos for TouchPlayer. I've been looking previously at many other solutions.

I now use XVid4PSP with these settings and I get amazing results:

Format: MP4

Video Encoding: x264 custom settings (2-pass bitrate, Bitrate: 1200, Baseline Profile - make sure you select this)

Audio Encoding: AAC-HE CBR 64k

*Even though screen resolution is 800x480, Touch Player is limited to 720x480. I suggest you don't go over those limits (eg. if you have a 768x576 movie, resize it to 640x480)

This does the job perfectly for me. I suppose you could go higher for both bitrates, but I think for a phone video this is more than enough.

Thanks Andy! :)

Guest pollanza

Hello!

I've got an acer f900 wich has the same cpu of the omnia 2 (s3c6410, underclocked at 533mhz), and I guess the same video acceleration.

I'm really interested in this discussion about the media players. I've noticed too that coreplayer isn't really good with mp4 or xvid when the resolution is higher than 720x405 and the bitrate is over 1mb/s.

The normal tv series or films works ok because they are lower in quality then this, but when I have to recode from higher quality source (hd) with good quality of the conversion there are some problem:

- Coreplayer lacks hardware acceleration so mp4 and xvid are slow if the quality is good.

- Windows media player plays well the mp4 (thanks to the acceleration) if the orizzontal resolution is max 720x... So I can't recode to 800x480 or 800x440...

- Windows media player can't play xvid and h264 codec.

Now I read that also touchplayer is locked to 720 o-res. Why this limitation in both device with touchplayer and WMP?

I wanted to know also if it's possible to find a version of the touchplayer of the o2 in a .cab... I ask this because it can reproduce xvid, that wmp can't!! And maybe it does that with the hardware acceleration of the f900!!

Thanks and bye!!

Edited by pollanza

I'm constantly surprised by Touchplayer. Found out that Touchplayer can actually read SRT subtitle files. Just stick the SRT file into the same folder as the movie and it just shows it. Why that surprises me is that I couldn't find any other player on WinMo that actually supported SRT files, other than TCPMP 0.71RC with a SRT plugin. Except TCPMP 0.71 just doesn't run on 6.5.

It is reading subtitles but not if they are on two rows in landscape mode. Then it puts some stupid symbols between the rows and shows them on one row.

This is making me crazy because with Touchplayer the quality and the speed are far better than TCPMP in GDI mode.

on a different note. has anyone figured out how to deselect directories that the player scans for music. it picks up my GPS program and lists ALL the sound files, adding about 2000 files to my list and is slowing it down badly.

Guest Ender Psp
on a different note. has anyone figured out how to deselect directories that the player scans for music. it picks up my GPS program and lists ALL the sound files, adding about 2000 files to my list and is slowing it down badly.

Please check this thread and give feedback to wes for his tool, DB_TPlayer.Arm.CAB

Also, In another thread wes posted some interesting info:

The file twmp_lib.edb is standard WM EDB database format. You can edit/modify it on the phone using for example dbExplorer. That's what I used to delete unwanted files, but it takes a while to do it. The file is located in Application Data folder on the device. The images used as album art are stored in My Storage\Program Files\TouchPlayerImage\ folder

It would be good if there was an option to delete the files as it was on Omnia I900 Touch Player.

You can also delete the link PlayerAutoUpdate located in the Windows\Startup Folder so the Touch Player will not ask you to update the files every time you open it.

Edited by Ender Psp

Format: MP4

Video Encoding: x264 custom settings (2-pass bitrate, Bitrate: 1200, Baseline Profile - make sure you select this)

Audio Encoding: AAC-HE CBR 64k

seems Ok now, doesn anyone know how to convert /mkv files with XviD4PSP ??

Edited by khomen

Guest AndyCarroll
seems Ok now, doesn anyone know how to convert /mkv files with XviD4PSP ??

You can open MKV and convert to MKV with Xvid4PSP, I've done this several times.

Just choose correct horizontal video resolution (max. 720) under Video - Resolution/Aspect...

Xvid4PSP tries to correct automatically your output video's aspect ratio (meaning that round wheel in video would be perfectly round on your Omnia's screen :) ) If it fails then you must choose correct vertical resolution manually.

Samsung Default earphones are not that great..

has any one used different earphone with O2?How is the sound?

In fact they are quite good compared to the other brands *included in the package* headphones.

I tried with my Creative EP-630 headphones and the sound of course is better but not so.

Guest allyrocky
In fact they are quite good compared to the other brands *included in the package* headphones.

I tried with my Creative EP-630 headphones and the sound of course is better but not so.

So your saying Touch player dint use the full potentialof Creative EP-630 ?

Guest andrades

I cant play any movies that have AC3 sound with touch player....and i havent found any version of TCPMP that works on my OMNIA 2 with WM6.5....i keep getting errors...and i read that with TCPMP is the only solution to play movies with AC3 sound:(

Any help pls?

So your saying Touch player dint use the full potentialof Creative EP-630 ?

No, I want to say that's all the audiochip of Samsung could do.

I cant play any movies that have AC3 sound with touch player....and i havent found any version of TCPMP that works on my OMNIA 2 with WM6.5....i keep getting errors...and i read that with TCPMP is the only solution to play movies with AC3 sound:(

Any help pls?

Try this version. It is working with me:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OOK3L4T9

Guest ray1234

Any help pls?

The are a number of recompiled versions of TCPMP for WM6.5, just google and you should find it. These versions also work with all plugins, including SRT subtitle plugin. It's a shame we can't get TCPMP to use hardware acceleration, and the result is nearly unwatchable framerate whenever we play H264 AVC movies at any resolution higher than 320x240.

Guest andrades

Ty alot Surenz, it finnally works...i have only a small problmes with .srt subtitles...it shows they are enabled, but it doesn work, doesn show on the screen at all...any solution for this?

Ty alot again

Use GDI for VIdeo output...

Only GDI and GAPI support subtitles. The downside is that the playback with GDI is more jerky than with DirectDraw or with Touchplayer.

So today I decided to make some tests of all my headphones ;)

To start with the original bundled Samsung. They to be honest give us adequate sound but nothing special. Without WOW HD of the Touchplayer are in the average class.

Followed by my previous phone SE W610i -> HPM-70. Their quality is inferior in all the tests that I made. They just can't beat the original Samsung headphones.

The last test was with Creative EP-630 that had came with my laptop DELL XPS: so it is the winner. Very crisp and clear sound even without WOW HD enabled. So if you want some cheap replacement buy them.

All the tests were made with listening and the opinions are based on my ears only and not with some audio tests. As I read in one of the reviews the quality of the sound is quite good beside the stereo crosstalk that is terrible.

Edited by surenz

Guest angeldown
Drawback of Touch player is the limitation of video resolution , it limit to 720x480 which I think they should raise limit to 800x480 so I can convert DVD movie via SPB Mobile DVD easily.

Why should you convert anything? Using TCPMP with subtitle plugins I can watch movies the same way I watch them on my pc. Even with subtitles .srt, .sub, even .txt formats. With the original samsung player I can use subtitles only in .smi format but there is an error with long strings which can not be split in two or three rows.

Guest ray1234
Why should you convert anything? Using TCPMP with subtitle plugins I can watch movies the same way I watch them on my pc. Even with subtitles .srt, .sub, even .txt formats. With the original samsung player I can use subtitles only in .smi format but there is an error with long strings which can not be split in two or three rows.

Are you saying you can play 800x480 movies using TCPMP? I can only manage 400x240 resolution smoothly with TCPMP or Coreplayer, anything higher requires Samsung's own movie player.

Guest allyrocky
So today I decided to make some tests of all my headphones ;)

To start with the original bundled Samsung. They to be honest give us adequate sound but nothing special. Without WOW HD of the Touchplayer are in the average class.

Followed by my previous phone SE W610i -> HPM-70. Their quality is inferior in all the tests that I made. They just can't beat the original Samsung headphones.

The last test was with Creative EP-630 that had came with my laptop DELL XPS: so it is the winner. Very crisp and clear sound even without WOW HD enabled. So if you want some cheap replacement buy them.

All the tests were made with listening and the opinions are based on my ears only and not with some audio tests. As I read in one of the reviews the quality of the sound is quite good beside the stereo crosstalk that is terrible.

Good analysis!

Guest allyrocky
Are you saying you can play 800x480 movies using TCPMP? I can only manage 400x240 resolution smoothly with TCPMP or Coreplayer, anything higher requires Samsung's own movie player.

I have managed to play movies with resolution over 720x480 using core player and tcpmp, but samsung touch player wont play those

TCPMP with Divx or Xvid codec run fine on 800x480 but with H.264 it is unplayable (Got frame skip all the time).