Use as modem?

Guest pete.major

Guest navygino
I just installed PDAnet

works fine

Yes, it works great but only a time limited trial...

Any Free alternative software do the same thing?

Edited by navygino

Guest navygino

After trial & error, I found a solution...

1.) Install Acer Easy Link

2.) Plug in the USB Cable.

3.) Right Click My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager.

acereasylink01.jpg

4.) Right Click ACER Android Modem, Properties>Advance,type in the below commend in "Extra initialization commands" box and then OK.

at+cgdcont=1,"IP","XXXX"

XXXX is yourAPN,you can found it at Liquid, setting>Wireless Controls>Mobile networks>Access Point Names ()

acereasylink02.jpg

5.) Run Acer Easy Link and you are good to go!

acereasylink03.jpg

Enjoy!!

Edited by navygino

Guest navygino
Hallo everybody...

I'm using the liquid as usb modem without any problem...

Is most important to set the additional string in advance configuration of the modem...as is write on the manual....

the sting could be for all that: +CGDCONT=1,”IP”,”apn name” for me in italy the apn is tre.it you have tou use your....

The number is just *99#

is very fast and i'm using it from yesterday without any problems....

Ciao Daniele

Just like your solution, everything work great!

Guest Rami Alisawi

plz guys help me with this...

I tried every single solution listed in this topic ! nothing works for me except yesterday i turn the modem in USB debug mode then try only *99***1# with out any program or extra commands , and I got connected , but to day I can't connect no matter what I do !!

modem log:

12-25-2009 19:44:38.527 - Interpreted response: Connect

12-25-2009 19:44:38.527 - Connection established at 7200000bps.

12-25-2009 19:44:38.530 - TSP(0000): LINEEVENT: LINECALLSTATE_CONNECTED

12-25-2009 19:44:40.680 - CD dropped--Remote modem hung up. ModemStatus=00000030

12-25-2009 19:44:40.680 - TSP(0000): LINEEVENT: LINECALLSTATE_DISCONNECTED(0x1)

12-25-2009 19:44:40.681 - TSP(0000): Dropping Call

12-25-2009 19:44:40.681 - Hanging up the modem.

and some times this

12-25-2009 00:57:07.310 - Data compression off or unknown.

12-25-2009 00:57:09.545 - CD dropped--Remote modem hung up. ModemStatus=00000030

12-25-2009 00:57:09.546 - Hanging up the modem.

can some one plz give me his log to compare , that might give me a clue

Guest Rami Alisawi

BTW: pdaNet is so so so bad , u can't even access your FTP account !! or SSH or online gaming , just stupid HTTP surfing !

now i'm connecting using my Acer but I don't know how , maybe tomorrow i won't able !! ( well , i clicked on Acer link but with out the string command ! weird , huh?)

tell me plz do you use normal mode modem or debug mode??

Guest three_pineapples

As far as i remember it was normal mode.

But i think you are probably the first person other than me to get it working with *99***1# so i don't know if there is something else i did that i haven't told people. Let me know if you figure anything out...

Guest Rami Alisawi

pdaNet is so so so bad , u can't even access your FTP account !! or SSH or online gaming , just stupid HTTP surfing !

@three_pineapples : do you get connected from the first try? , did you try it when your liquid has low battary? does it work with both ( normal & debug ) mode?

Guest three_pineapples

Ok, so it didn't work first go. I plugged the liquid in (43% battery). Debug mode off.

Refused to connect. I powered off the iquid. Then turned it on. To see if the modem was working ocrrectly, i went to the modem device properties (in device manager) and then to the diagnostics tab and clicked "query modem". If it returns something and doesn't throw an error (which is what happened for me) i then dial the modem to *99***1# and it works.

Don't know why it needs powering off. Maybe the other method suggested here with the initialisation string means that doesn't happen (but when i tried that, i couldn't get it to work either).

Sorry i can't test more. I'm actually not in a 3G coverage zone at the moment (GPRS only, but will be in 3G next week) and i also haven't signed myself up to a data plan (using wifi only) so excess testing will cost me too much money. Once i get that sorted i'm happy to try more things!

Though i think maybe you can go PC -> liquid -> wifi access point -> internet through the liquid modem, but it was really slow so i think it may have been using GPRS even though it was disabled at the time...

Guest eppyramot

I finally got it to work with a variation of all the suggestions here>

1) Install drivers

2) Power down then power up Liquid

3) Attach liquid

4) In Device Manager, right click on ACER Android modem, choose "properties"

5) under Advanced tab enter: at+cgdcont=1,"IP","XXXX"

(XXXX is your APN)

6) click ok

7) When selecting the easylink dialer use *99#

It may be that different mobile providers need slightly different settings.

After the initial setup everything works perfect.

Guest llecaroz
You will need to obtain drivers from Acer for linux. I don't know if they will supply them or not though :)

Ok, so tided now after lot of tries... but do a google search on:

udev adb forward linux android openvpn

or on azilink

& you will find all corresponding details

For sure, with this solution, the phone is not really recognized like 3G modems but needs & uses third party tool to be installed on the android phone... That's all for the moment regarding my investigation on this subject.Anyway, as I use a dual boot vista<>ubuntu... & as it works well & easier under vista....

regards

Louis

• 4 weeks later...

I was able to make liquid work as a modem but only when using USB drivers from Acer posted by Paul

anyway I prefere tethering, currently using PDAnet - works perfectly except free version blocks secure websites

Guest Down to earth Swede
It is not neccesary to do this. You can pick which APN you wish to use when dialing, rather on modem initialisation.

Using *99***<apn number># also works. Eg, if you only have one access point, *99***1#

I can't get it to work in XP

When dialing I finally get a message in swedish that it is a hardwareerror (Error 692)in the modem or another connection unit. (Swedish XP, I don't know the exact message in english).

Tried diagnostics where I could choose to "ask the modem" (again in Swedish). It didn't answer back, so there was no connection....

Same bad result with the "at+cgdcont"-method.

A guide for this was also at my service providers home page (including the right settings for the rest of "at+cgdcont".

Is it something wrong with my liquid?

EDIT : Now it works! For some strange reason I had to disconnect it and reconnect it again to make it respond.

Edited by Down to earth Swede