The "How To" guide

Guest ptruman

I shall check and update!

Brilliant guide. One thing, though, from experience that maybe should be added is that the T-Mobile G2s currently shipping have the 2.73 ROM on them that needs goldcard.

I have personally seen this on two handsets bought in the last couple of weeks, yet mine from very end of November was 1.73, so I guess I got one of the last 'old' ones :)

Just a suggestion for an otherwise excellent guide. +1 for sticky. Would save a lot of questions from people that are 'obvious' to us.

[slightly off-topic]

I'm thinking about writing a 'dictionary' of terms used on here & XDA, since I only joined this scene about a month ago, and found that some of the jargon we use as we write here (without really thinking about it) was pretty difficult to understand, and I've been messing with Linux/Windows and embedded devices for longer than I care to remember.

Does anyone think this would be worthwhile to reduce the number of questions of 'What is an RUU' etc? (since Google really isn't your friend on that one! I didn't realise for a few days that it meant an update run from the computer...)

[/slightly off-topic]

Edited by pulser

Guest ptruman
Brilliant guide. One thing, though, from experience that maybe should be added is that the T-Mobile G2s currently shipping have the 2.73 ROM on them that needs goldcard.

I have personally seen this on two handsets bought in the last couple of weeks, yet mine from very end of November was 1.73, so I guess I got one of the last 'old' ones :)

This is mentioned at the top of the guide (check the version number and decide if you need to downgrade, the links then take you to the goldcard pages.

[slightly off-topic]

I'm thinking about writing a 'dictionary' of terms used on here & XDA, since I only joined this scene about a month ago, and found that some of the jargon we use as we write here (without really thinking about it) was pretty difficult to understand, and I've been messing with Linux/Windows and embedded devices for longer than I care to remember.

Does anyone think this would be worthwhile to reduce the number of questions of 'What is an RUU' etc? (since Google really isn't your friend on that one! I didn't realise for a few days that it meant an update run from the computer...)

[/slightly off-topic]

It wouldn't hurt - although I suspect people wouldn't necessarily "care" what an SPL/RUU/etc was, as long as what they did worked. The problem I see as being bigger is that people don't appreciate what rooting (potentially) lets them do, and then they're off fiddling with unfamiliar command prompts etc :\

What would be useful (but harder to get) would be instances of "imperfect" flashes, i.e. we say don't pull batteries/SSD cards, but some people have got out of boot loops by doing so, so it would be interesting to note those cases and (if possible, which is unlikely) what the people did, i.e.

a) Are you coming from an "out of the box" phone (which my guide is intended at)?

;) Are you coming from an already rooted/flashed phone?

c) Have you flashed ANY upgrade before this? (i.e. Operator, HTC, Radio etc)

d) Did you follow ALL instructions? Or skip any?

It might be an idea for Paul (but he's unlikely to spot this!), if it's possible, to output a log during flashing (or save one if one is made) so it can be extracted and uploaded in the event of problems.....

I'm reading everywhere Hero's running version 2.73.xx or higher need to downgrade first. Not true on my GSM Hero running 2.73.405.5. I could run FlashRec 1.1.3, install Amon RA's 1.5.2 and install a custom ROM.

Hey, I got my Orange GSM Hero a couple of days ago, and stupidly upgraded to the latest HTC/Orange ROM from the HTC site...

is this guide still upto date so I should hopefully not brick?

Something I've been looking into is the actual editiing of files starting up like in msconfig on windows?

There seems to be alot of ROMs knocking around, what're the +/-'s of these ROM's, I still want full functionality ie cam working, is it possible to fix the bluetooth when rooting?

Sorry if this is a bit noobish, just really wanna root it, but a bit anxious of bricking cos the phones so new...

Cheers for any help

Lewy

**EDIT**

Also, I'm running Windows 7, so I had to use someone elses vista PC to do the official upgrade yesterday

Edited by lwyc

Guest ptruman
I'm reading everywhere Hero's running version 2.73.xx or higher need to downgrade first. Not true on my GSM Hero running 2.73.405.5. I could run FlashRec 1.1.3, install Amon RA's 1.5.2 and install a custom ROM.

That has been the majority, but its just as easy for a batch to have a different boot loader

Guest pulser
This is mentioned at the top of the guide (check the version number and decide if you need to downgrade, the links then take you to the goldcard pages.

It wouldn't hurt - although I suspect people wouldn't necessarily "care" what an SPL/RUU/etc was, as long as what they did worked. The problem I see as being bigger is that people don't appreciate what rooting (potentially) lets them do, and then they're off fiddling with unfamiliar command prompts etc :\

What would be useful (but harder to get) would be instances of "imperfect" flashes, i.e. we say don't pull batteries/SSD cards, but some people have got out of boot loops by doing so, so it would be interesting to note those cases and (if possible, which is unlikely) what the people did, i.e.

a) Are you coming from an "out of the box" phone (which my guide is intended at)?

;) Are you coming from an already rooted/flashed phone?

c) Have you flashed ANY upgrade before this? (i.e. Operator, HTC, Radio etc)

d) Did you follow ALL instructions? Or skip any?

It might be an idea for Paul (but he's unlikely to spot this!), if it's possible, to output a log during flashing (or save one if one is made) so it can be extracted and uploaded in the event of problems.....

Oops for the version no. I was mainly skimming to see if anything new had come up since I got started. I guess if someone isn't going to be able to find their version number by themself that rooting might not be for them at that point.

I think it's a good idea to have a flashing log, but I reckon that would be up to AmonRA or the recovery image cooker to do so, since it is their software that does the flashing. Paul is left with the (still huge) task of making an update.zip that contains something useful for us to use, but not the actual flashing.

One thing I have noticed over the past few days is some repeated questions about similar things, both here and on xda-dev, to do with 'here is my phone details and version no's. How can I root please?'. I reckon that what we might need is a guide like this, which is totally step by step for people. But then we don't know the skill levels people come here with. So we're back to explaining the difference between $ and #, and then onto the partitions of the device... (Here we go! :) )

Just an idea, and it would be ridiculous to implement, so I reckon a guide like this is the best option. Keep up the good work!

Guest lysium

hi,

i am nubie try to custom my htc hero (2.67.xxx) i have follow all the "how to" guide until step nine. and it is almost 1 hour the screen still had the initial "HERO" screen, and scrolling light HTC logo. when i type the ./adb shell ps it show like this:

Ali-Santosos-Mac-Pro:tools alisantoso$ ./adb shell ps

PID USER VSZ STAT COMMAND

1 0 292 S /init

2 0 0 SW< [kthreadd]

3 0 0 SW< [ksoftirqd/0]

4 0 0 SW< [watchdog/0]

5 0 0 SW< [events/0]

6 0 0 SW< [khelper]

7 0 0 SW< [suspend]

8 0 0 SW< [early_suspend]

9 0 0 SW< [kblockd/0]

10 0 0 SW< [kmmcd]

11 0 0 SW< [btaddconn]

12 0 0 SW< [btdelconn]

13 0 0 SW< [kondemand/0]

14 0 0 SW< [qmi]

15 0 0 DW< [rpcrouter]

16 0 0 SW< [detection/0]

17 0 0 SW< [krpcserversd]

18 0 0 SW [pdflush]

19 0 0 SW [pdflush]

20 0 0 SW< [kswapd0]

21 0 0 SW< [aio/0]

22 0 0 SW< [nfsiod]

23 0 0 SW< [cifsoplockd]

24 0 0 SW< [cifsdnotifyd]

25 0 0 SW< [panel_on/0]

26 0 0 SW< [cabc_work_q]

27 0 0 SW< [kadspd]

28 0 0 SW< [mtdblockd]

29 0 0 SW< [uSB mass_storag]

30 0 0 SW< [synaptics_wq]

32 0 0 SW< [kstriped]

33 0 0 SW< [krfcommd]

34 0 0 SW< [rpciod/0]

35 0 0 SW< [mmcqd]

39 0 3336 S /sbin/adbd

115 1000 808 S /system/bin/servicemanager

116 0 852 S /system/bin/vold

117 0 668 S /system/bin/debuggerd

118 1001 11068 S /system/bin/rild

120 1013 21264 S /system/bin/mediaserver

122 1002 1168 S /system/bin/dbus-daemon --system --nofork

124 0 824 S /system/bin/installd

126 1008 1184 S /system/bin/akm8973

140 0 896 S dropbear -A -N root -U 0 -G 0 -C Hi_Rve -d /data/drop

143 0 0 DW< [snd_rpc]

2397 0 2860 R /system/bin/app_process -Xzygote /system/bin --zygote

2398 0 740 S /system/bin/sh -c ps

2399 0 2072 R ps

is it normal? how long i have to wait?

system mac os SL running 64bit kernel,

android sdk installed package all

on htc hero

flashrec 1.1.3

recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2

backup with nandroid (without the ext coz it fail)

Guest ptruman
is it normal? how long i have to wait?

Zygote is running, so it appears you're stuck in a boot loop - did you definitely do a wipe before the flash?

Is the phone stuck on the scrolling logo or does it flip between Hero and HTC (scrolling?)

If it's just stuck on the scrolling HTC logo, you can *try* removing the battery and booting - some people have reported that has freed them up - the only thing I'll say is that (with all flashing) it's at your own risk!

If that works, it'd be interesting to check if you followed the steps exactly or not, as not everyone gets a boot loop, as I'd like to know what causes it (i.e. is it a missed step/wipe, or something to do with coming from a specific ROM...?)

Guest bluplr

I was wondering if people could tell me what microsd card they are using when making the goldcard. I've tried it on 2 cards (toshiba and sandisk, 16gb and 2gb respectively) and both of them ask to be formatted after being plugged in after following the instructions exactly. Apparently a 2gb kingston should work?

Guest prupert
To check your firmware, do the following :
  • Start Settings
  • Click About Phone
  • Check the Kernel Version

Do you mean Kernel Version or Build number, since on my HTC Stock from Orange, Kernel Version is: 2.6.27-8dd6deeehtc-kernel@and18-2)

Whilst Build number is 2.73.61.5, which seems to be the number in question to check...so is it Build number, not Kernel Version to check?

EDIT

I see someone else already mentioned this, but it remains unchanged, so now I am totally confused.... :)

Edited by prupert

Guest blackcoffee85
I was wondering if people could tell me what microsd card they are using when making the goldcard. I've tried it on 2 cards (toshiba and sandisk, 16gb and 2gb respectively) and both of them ask to be formatted after being plugged in after following the instructions exactly. Apparently a 2gb kingston should work?

I used the card that came with the phone (UK Orange Hero), a 2GB microSD and it worked just fine.

Guest starfarer

On hex editor make sure you select Physical disk. Looks too obvious but i myself was picking wrong choice in 5/6 attempts and was on verge of giving up. Its got 2 options there & physical disk i think is the 2nd one on etra tab>open disk. Go slow there.

Guest El Matarife

That would be great! I am very keen to have a custom recovery image and a custom ROM installed to improve the performance of my Hero. But I can't make enough sense out of the myriad threads here and at XDA-developers to be able to try.

I like to understand what I'm doing and to know what it all means, rather than just blindly following instructions! Would love to see what you can put together. I was wondering what the hell RUU meant too... (I don't know what ADB is either)!

Guest deeone

Yeah, just like me! Mine is an Italian version running 2.73.405.5 and now i can be proud of my modaco firmware :)

Thanks for the guide, brilliant!

Guest bluplr
On hex editor make sure you select Physical disk. Looks too obvious but i myself was picking wrong choice in 5/6 attempts and was on verge of giving up. Its got 2 options there & physical disk i think is the 2nd one on etra tab>open disk. Go slow there.

Ah there we go, thanks a lot :) ! It just seemed so intuitive to click drive e: when you see it.

Guest lysium
Zygote is running, so it appears you're stuck in a boot loop - did you definitely do a wipe before the flash?

Is the phone stuck on the scrolling logo or does it flip between Hero and HTC (scrolling?)

If it's just stuck on the scrolling HTC logo, you can *try* removing the battery and booting - some people have reported that has freed them up - the only thing I'll say is that (with all flashing) it's at your own risk!

If that works, it'd be interesting to check if you followed the steps exactly or not, as not everyone gets a boot loop, as I'd like to know what causes it (i.e. is it a missed step/wipe, or something to do with coming from a specific ROM...?)

hi ptruman,

good news i just pull the battery and it is run right now.

anyway i follow the step exactly, except the nandroid backup i don't do the Nand + ext backup because every time i try this backup always error, so i just do the Nand backup.

The logo is scrolling hero, htc then hero, htc again and again.

when i pull the battery and repeat step 7 and add the wipe dalvik-cache. after that it run.

but right know i have problem i just pull the sdcard and right now my mac and htc hero can't read the sdcard. the sdcard can't be format from hero or wipe from RA-hero-v1.5.2 even on my mac it can't be format.

Guest ptruman
hi ptruman,

good news i just pull the battery and it is run right now.

anyway i follow the step exactly, except the nandroid backup i don't do the Nand + ext backup because every time i try this backup always error, so i just do the Nand backup.

The logo is scrolling hero, htc then hero, htc again and again.

when i pull the battery and repeat step 7 and add the wipe dalvik-cache. after that it run.

but right know i have problem i just pull the sdcard and right now my mac and htc hero can't read the sdcard. the sdcard can't be format from hero or wipe from RA-hero-v1.5.2 even on my mac it can't be format.

Glad to hear it's (mostly) working - although it's possible your SD card is damaged/faulty which may have stopped the initial boot (trying to copy files to a dodgy partition). I don't know where it is, but think there are some instructions somewhere on how to format the SD card from the Hero cmd prompt at a low level, which might recover it for you - are you sure you have selected "Mount SD Card" in the Hero and then tried to prepare it?

The Nand+Ext backup should work (even with the error), and is there to ensure that if anyone tries to do this on an already modified phone, their EXT partition is also backed up :)

Guest ptruman
After Flashing a Custom ROM image and rebooting my htc hero stays on the"HERO" screen...

This is my phone: <a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/HTC-Hero-Fre.../dp/B002BWPWRQ" target="_blank">http://www.amazon.co.uk/HTC-Hero-Fre.....;/dp/B002BWPWRQ

</a>

I guessed my phone was GSM..? Am I right

Looks like a GSM one to me!

Do you get anything from ADB when the Hero screen is on?

If you HAVE NOT pulled the battery yet AND get a response from ABD, I'd try doing an adb reboot and seeing if it works. If it does, you'll at least be able to get the recovery image up without pulling the battery - then try a WIPE and reflashing the ROM again.

I'd only suggest pulling the battery if you had the scrolling HTC logo (after HERO), for a long time.

Guest ptruman
Do you mean Kernel Version or Build number, since on my HTC Stock from Orange, Kernel Version is: 2.6.27-8dd6deeehtc-kernel@and18-2)

Whilst Build number is 2.73.61.5, which seems to be the number in question to check...so is it Build number, not Kernel Version to check?

EDIT

I see someone else already mentioned this, but it remains unchanged, so now I am totally confused.... B)

I suspect it's Build Number, but I wrote this after I flashed it, so have no way to check on my (only) phone without going back to stock - but if you confirm it's the build number, I'll amend the guide :)

Guest SmallShot
Looks like a GSM one to me!

Do you get anything from ADB when the Hero screen is on?

If you HAVE NOT pulled the battery yet AND get a response from ABD, I'd try doing an adb reboot and seeing if it works. If it does, you'll at least be able to get the recovery image up without pulling the battery - then try a WIPE and reflashing the ROM again.

I'd only suggest pulling the battery if you had the scrolling HTC logo (after HERO), for a long time.

Thanks - left it all night.. must of ran out of battery, next mornng i rebooted again same thing. Pulled the battery and booted it using home + power. Wiped and flashed again. Works now! Thanks..

But in all honesty I don't see much difference :)

Guest prupert
I suspect it's Build Number, but I wrote this after I flashed it, so have no way to check on my (only) phone without going back to stock - but if you confirm it's the build number, I'll amend the guide :)

I can confirm it is Build Number that is the one you are after (it seems).

Guest ptruman
Thanks - left it all night.. must of ran out of battery, next mornng i rebooted again same thing. Pulled the battery and booted it using home + power. Wiped and flashed again. Works now! Thanks..

But in all honesty I don't see much difference :)

You won't "see" anything by having a rooted phone, it's what you can now do with it that's the point. And if you went to 3.0 with Tek 1.9 (or 1.9.1) you should find it way faster...

Guest gizmoastrix

After partitioning the sd card, when i reboot the phone it gives me message in notification bar that the sd card is damaged

Is that OK, should i format the sd

help