Proximity sensor

Guest saquib

Guest Richie from Shanghai

Happens to me. It definitely flashes during phone conversation. Sometimes it stopped flashing after hanging up, sometimes it keeps flashing. No clue why this happens.

BTW, I set auto screen lock as 1 minute, everytime I finish a phone call, the screen is black and locked, I had to press the power button to turn on the screen so that I can hit the call finishing button. Can anyone tell me how to make the screen remain unlocked when I finish a call? Do I have to turn off the auto screen lock?

Edited by Richie from Shanghai

Guest three_pineapples

Richie, i'm guessing the locked black screen is part of the same problem. The proximity sensor should detect when you take the phone away from your ear, and give you the screen with the hang up button, call time etc.

Still don't know if its a software or hardware problem though :)

this phone does not have a proximity sensor

the reason why a call does not get disconnected by putting the handset near your ear is because your face is touching the android robot in the middle of the screen, when that area is pressed you can't end the call or dial a number etc..

try it yourself

the reason why a call does not get disconnected by putting the handset near your ear is because your face is touching the android robot in the middle of the screen, when that area is pressed you can't end the call or dial a number etc..

try it yourself

I am leaning towards this statement 'this phone does not have a proximity sensor', I downloaded the manual and did not find any info about the proximity sensor. Then I thought this must be the light sensor, but it turned out it was not a light sensor either as the lightness of screen did not change before and after the right hand flashing spot is covered. So I am still confused, what the hell is this??? Can anyone ask Acer to get an official answer? There is no ACER customer support for mobile phone in mainland China (I got this phone in Hong Kong).

But I do like the idea of a proximity sensor which turns the screen back on for you when you finish the call and the phone leaves your ear, but how does this concept work when you use the headphone?

menu->settings->call settings->advanced settings-> Set P-sensor sensitivity( set proximity sensor sensitivity)

should mean we got one or i fail to see why acer would even put an option that does absolutely nothing

Guest TheNano

try it yourself

look at the right side of the speaker (front side of the phone) you will se the sensor and it works just fine!

and i just tried it myself on the very spot TheNano said.

Works like a charm and yes we DO have it.

when ever i cover the little sensor with my thumb a lockicon appears and when i remove my thumb of the sensor the lockicon disapears.

That kinda says it all =)

Guest three_pineapples

try it yourself

Nope. 100% certain you are wrong :) There is no way that touching the screen with your ear/face is the cause of it not ending. The phone doesn't do multitouch. From what i've read, if multiple points are touched, it picks the centre. So you could in theory press it to your face and end the call if you touched multiple points in the right place.

As people have pointed out, there are settings for the proximity sensor in settings. Maybe people should have a look at those.

I can say it works 100% for me, so it is definitely there!

Nope. 100% certain you are wrong ;) There is no way that touching the screen with your ear/face is the cause of it not ending. The phone doesn't do multitouch. From what i've read, if multiple points are touched, it picks the centre. So you could in theory press it to your face and end the call if you touched multiple points in the right place.

As people have pointed out, there are settings for the proximity sensor in settings. Maybe people should have a look at those.

I can say it works 100% for me, so it is definitely there!

I'm terribly sorry I thought this thread is about the HTC HERO..

:)

and i just tried it myself on the very spot TheNano said.

Works like a charm and yes we DO have it.

when ever i cover the little sensor with my thumb a lockicon appears and when i remove my thumb of the sensor the lockicon disapears.

That kinda says it all =)

Yes, you are right. I tried the exactly same and it worked! I did the P sensor setting in the call setting. Thanks! Wish Acer had released a more detailed manual than the one provided in this forum (the manual was not even in my phone's package, only a CD-rom with useless introduction and specs of the phone)

Guest Pyrazol

Okay, so now that we re-established that there actually IS a proximity sensor... :)

The screen does turn back on when you take the phone away from your face. It just takes a while, depending on how long the screen was off IMHO. But it turns back on every time for me. Kind of awkward though that it sometimes takes so long.

Buuut that doesn't help us with the apparent bug that the proximity sensor keeps flashing after every second call.

Edited by Pyrazol

Guest three_pineapples

perhaps we should be clear. I think the flashing LED and proximity sensor are actually separate things, just located near each other :)

Sounds like its some sort of software issue...

Guest chingy1788

maybe...

the proximity sensor uses the flashing LED?

could be a cheap infrared LED that just happens to show red as well (I bought a cheap infrared LED pnce, shows infrared and red...)

just a thought...

Guest Pyrazol
maybe...

could be a cheap infrared LED that just happens to show red as well (I bought a cheap infrared LED pnce, shows infrared and red...)

just a thought...

That sounds most probable to me, since:

A proximity sensor often emits an electromagnetic or electrostatic field, or a beam of electromagnetic radiation (infrared, for instance), and looks for changes in the field or return signal.

And to provide further proof: If you turn off the proximity sensor in the settings, the light doesn't flash anymore.

Proof that there is proximity sensorĀ  :)

D/SensorManager( 1028): found sensor: SMB380 Accelerometer Sensor, handle=1

D/SensorManager( 1028): found sensor: MS-3C Magnetic Sensor, handle=2

D/SensorManager( 1028): found sensor: MS-3C Orientation Sensor, handle=3

D/SensorManager( 1028): found sensor: ISL29018 Proximity Sensor, handle=8

D/SensorManager( 1028): found sensor: ISL29018 Ambient Light Sensor, handle=5

maybe...

just a thought...

Yes.

Probably cheap.

@three_pineapples : my friend, I think you are half right (or half wrong). Two things are standing at the right top corner of the screen. Flashing light is proximity sensor, and black mark at its immediate left (you can distinguish it with certain luminosity conditions) is the light sensor.

MYADVICE (as you'll see in dedicated thread) is to desactivate both. As proximity sensor is highly deficient (blinking randomly) it is source of power waiste. Desactivate it completely and you'll save considerable battery life (12 hours of usage, 78% left).

Hope my post helped you guys :)