Rom dumped from update.

Guest Steel Reign

Guest WoZZeR999

Heh, thanks guys. It's still not to where I'd like it yet, and I get my TP2 in tomorrow, so I might need to take a I920 free day (I'll try to get another test out to shemmy first, so he can test it for a day). I'm planning on having a kitchen ready for you (with basic instructions, XIP porting will have to come later, or you can read the various sources for that) on Saturday/Sunday.

Guest WoZZeR999

I've got a test file uploading, but the way this kitchen works uses EXTReloc. There will be very specific instructions on how to deal with it, but in the mean time (Here) . The second half is the part that you would need to do. you can skip the XIP part if you are only updated stuff that was in OEM and not updating SYS/XIP.

Guest tedkord
Heh, thanks guys. It's still not to where I'd like it yet, and I get my TP2 in tomorrow, so I might need to take a I920 free day (I'll try to get another test out to shemmy first, so he can test it for a day). I'm planning on having a kitchen ready for you (with basic instructions, XIP porting will have to come later, or you can read the various sources for that) on Saturday/Sunday.

See, guys. I told you this was the man to contact. Every ROM I've flashed to my i910 has been based on his kitchen. Buy him many beverages!

More good news - Evidence/BGA77/BGill, who cooked up some of my favorite ROMs for the i910, stated a month or so ago that he'd decided to go with the i920, probably upgrading to it in January/early February. He may already have one. I hope he's checking in here once in a while, because he hasn't posted since early December.

I got lucky tracking Wozzer down at another site. Evidence hasn't posted under any known screen name anywhere I've thought to check.

If this works the way it's looking, I'm going to have to do an early, full retail upgrade! The wife may divorce me, but, hey... that's just icing.

Edited by tedkord

Guest WoZZeR999

Bepe was supposed to release an updated platform rebuilder, and my hope is that the new version works better with weird nk.exe's. If/When it comes out, XIP porting will be a lot easier.

Guest Tony_vegas
Well, we got a working cooked rom on an i920. I'll start working on the kitchen tonight/tomorrow. I'll try to also come up with a write up for XIP porting (So you can start using different versions of WM).

I also have to test a few other tools, we just had a lock-up on the custom rom.

woooow you are a HERO, donations will rain on you when you get this thing going you are the man

I think we're going to have to wait until after the weekend to get something out. The latest test ROM has the same issues the previous ones have had. Also, OCTANS is a complete PITA to work with - it can be real finicky about when it will or will not detect the i920.

On the bright side, the phone is pretty much un-brickable, or rather, if it gets bricked, OCTANS will let you fix it using the stock ROM.

Edited by Shemmy

Guest tyrelsackett
I think we're going to have to wait until after the weekend to get something out. The latest test ROM has the same issues the previous ones have had. Also, OCTANS is a complete PITA to work with - it can be real finicky about when it will or will not detect the i920.

On the bright side, the phone is pretty much un-brickable, or rather, if it gets bricked, OCTANS will let you fix it using the stock ROM.

What do you mean by fix it with the stock ROM? Do you mean the ROM update from Samsung or were you successful on ripping the original ROM from the phone?

Thanks.

Guest WoZZeR999

We have a backup rom dump that is flashable. I believe the problem right now the module relocation. I've got another test rom uploading now, I hope it works better.

We have a backup rom dump that is flashable. I believe the problem right now the module relocation. I've got another test rom uploading now, I hope it works better.

Good job so far Wozzer. Can I assume you guys are are using windows XP for this?

Guest Steel Reign

Wozzer is it ok if I put the donate link on the first page after we get ourselves a kitchen?

Guest WoZZeR999

Can anyone that has flashed the official upgrade tell me the SYS version? (Start->settings->About) I would like to know if the rom_dump I'm using is the same version as the updated one.

Guest compnird
Can anyone that has flashed the official upgrade tell me the SYS version? (Start->settings->About) I would like to know if the rom_dump I'm using is the same version as the updated one.

I ran the update and am showing:

PDA: S:i920.2.0V.CJ10.21863

Guest Bern612

Hey Wozzer. We really appricate you here. And i have been following you since the 910. I have been trying to learn this stuff, and if it isn't going to take you away from your work your doing right now. could you tell me the steps you took to get to where you are right now. Honestly i am still stuck at extracting the bin. I have the 4 bin files but can't get pass that. I wanna get into this rom making and not just be a spectator. If you can't Thanks anyway. You are a Superstar here.

sorry didn't read post #21 will try that

Edited by Bern612

Guest WoZZeR999

You can use dskdump to get a rom dump, and follow the guides on the GSM rom section. I'm not 100% sure, but I think some of the issues not are file attributes and file types that I need to go through.

If you read through my i910 discovery cooking thread, much is the same probably.

Guest WoZZeR999

I received my TP2 (which is a very solid phone, and I had to learn how to use EVK with it), so I didn't get any i920 work done.

Some testing will resume tonight.

Guest tedkord
I received my TP2 (which is a very solid phone, and I had to learn how to use EVK with it), so I didn't get any i920 work done.

Some testing will resume tonight.

Take your time. Enjoy the new phone. I haven't checked XDA about the TP2, but I imagine it's got a much larger community trying to customize it, and is probably much further along. I was considering the TP2 or the Imagio for those reasons (and for the HTC UI - I mean, seriously Samsung? TouchWiz2? Because TouchWiz was soooooo good it just needed to be taken to the next step?).

However, if we get the Omnia II cooking, I think that's my choice (unless something really amazing comes down the line at Big Red).

So, thanks again for your work. But, don't rush on our account. You've got a new toy to experiment with, and I don't think anyone here wouldn't understand.

Guest yardi4life

Just got an Omnia II. I will attempt the dump and follow the GSM instructions to see what I can come up with. Wozzer999 can PM u if I need some help? I'm sure I will.

Guest WoZZeR999

Sure.

I problem now is not the dumping or building, pre se, but either file types or attributes (I think). I can release a working kitchen over the weekend, but until someone find out exactly what's causing the problems (I have an idea, just waiting for a confirmation), it will boot an unstable rom.

How many of you would like to test out a kitchen, even if the resulting rom isn't stable?

Guest amdzero
Sure.

I problem now is not the dumping or building, pre se, but either file types or attributes (I think). I can release a working kitchen over the weekend, but until someone find out exactly what's causing the problems (I have an idea, just waiting for a confirmation), it will boot an unstable rom.

How many of you would like to test out a kitchen, even if the resulting rom isn't stable?

I'm down for trying out unstable roms if it means I won't "brick" my phone. I flashed my I910 at least 100 times. I'm probably a flash-aholic.