Rom dumped from update.

Guest Steel Reign

Guest tedkord
i guess you just have to install another dialer skin actually

IIRC, when this initially happened on the i910 with 6.5.3., the initial fix was to deactivate the samsung dialer skin, and use Microsoft's built in dialer. It doesn't look as nice, but it works right.

Guest Radioman96p71
anyone want to share how to remove the touchwiz widget stuff?

Thats a bit involved, i have a list of everything I have removed without any drastic effects. I have gone back to the original 21863 ROM for now as it was giving me way too many troubles with the dialer and bluetooth. There appears to be some sort of dependency on .NET 2.0, I tried to remove the NETCF folder and replace it with the .NET3.5 from the new ROM but it broke the headset functionality and Voice Command refused to work. It may b e a registry issue, im not sure. Still in the Alpha phase for sure! But im up to 226MB free storage at boot! If i get time i will make an exact list of what i have safely removed / changed. I have gotten rid of almost everything TouchWiz related, except for the nice clock and calendar apps. Still cannot get the windows Start shortcut to revert back to default. Im finding lots of registry keys overlap each other so its a bit of a wild goose chase tracking down the ones that are causing it.

Anyone else care to share their experiences yet?

Guest amdzero
Thats a bit involved, i have a list of everything I have removed without any drastic effects. I have gone back to the original 21863 ROM for now as it was giving me way too many troubles with the dialer and bluetooth. There appears to be some sort of dependency on .NET 2.0, I tried to remove the NETCF folder and replace it with the .NET3.5 from the new ROM but it broke the headset functionality and Voice Command refused to work. It may b e a registry issue, im not sure. Still in the Alpha phase for sure! But im up to 226MB free storage at boot! If i get time i will make an exact list of what i have safely removed / changed. I have gotten rid of almost everything TouchWiz related, except for the nice clock and calendar apps. Still cannot get the windows Start shortcut to revert back to default. Im finding lots of registry keys overlap each other so its a bit of a wild goose chase tracking down the ones that are causing it.

Anyone else care to share their experiences yet?

not sure what you mean about the start shortcut, I erased mainmenu.exe and I get the 3 across honeycomb listing. maybe we should start a thread of things we removed that didn't break the rom?

Guest tedkord

Well, I contacted Swype and asked about their stance on their keyboard being left on the i920 if the ROM is customized. Here's the response I got:

Thanks for getting in touch. Our legal stance is this:

We don't support hacking our OEM customers. We don't support people hacking our Swype software, including by reinstalling it on a hacked ROM—even if the phone initially legally included a copy of Swype.

Have a great day,

Franklin Page

Actually, sounds kind of snippy. But they clearly frown on it. However, I'm not sure what their legal standing is on this - after all, we've paid for the license with the phone purchase. We're not adding it, we're just removing other software. I'm not sure they have the legal right to demand it not be included.

But, chefs, be aware that they're not going to support any phone with a hacked ROM. And they may try to take legal action.

Edited by tedkord

Guest Radioman96p71

That was one of the first things i removed haha. I never cared for it, i like the Samsung keypad with feedback, more intuitive IMO. That and swype is a resource hog.

Happy cooking

Are there easy to cab it from our phones so we can add it back in after flashing? That would solve any legal culpability issues. Verizon would pitch a fit if they said anything other than denouncing ROMS, and if I were them I wouldn't want my livelihood being offered up to be pirated either. There's a way to keep it on the up and up.°c

Edited by Snow02

Guest Radioman96p71

Little update from my end if anyone is following haha.

Bluetooth problem is not related to NetCF, its the drivers packed with the 23518 ROM. They WILL break some functionality if you use them. I have copied the drivers over from the 21863 ROM and got my BT headset and stereo profiles back. Voice Command is still having weird issues taking ALL the audio from the phone except incoming calls, the exact opposite that its supposed to. Keep plugging along tho! Also, back in the forum topic i have posted all the files i have removed to free up nearly 84MB. Comments would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Radioman96p71

Guest softwarr8

Well how can i play resco bubbles and other games? I just want a gsm rom lol. This is why i hate cdma phones but gsm's have bad network signal in the chuck so oooo welll....

got my 02 ill be messing with this phone for a while ill see what i can come up with!!!

Damn, this is great! You and Yardi both picked i920's. We just need BWolf and we'll have most of the old Omnia ROM crowd on board :)

Guest amdzero
got my 02 ill be messing with this phone for a while ill see what i can come up with!!!

This is great news for the 02 community! I cannot wait to see what you "come up with"

Something to look into. I just read in another thread that the i8000 JA5 ROM provided ~10 MB more RAM. Those of you who are knowledgeable enough might be able to dig in and find out how and port the change to the i920.

Guest Ninja4Hire
not sure what you mean about the start shortcut, I erased mainmenu.exe and I get the 3 across honeycomb listing. maybe we should start a thread of things we removed that didn't break the rom?

So how exactly did you get the honeycomb start menu to show up again? I deleted the samsung one, but now when I hit "start" it give me an error saying it can't find MainMenu". Do you have to change the registry to point to the default start? Thanks...

Guest WoZZeR999
So how exactly did you get the honeycomb start menu to show up again? I deleted the samsung one, but now when I hit "start" it give me an error saying it can't find MainMenu". Do you have to change the registry to point to the default start? Thanks...

There's probably a loader you need to delete.

Guest amdzero

all I did when I first got the kitchen was search for mainmenu.exe and deleted it. I didn't change any registry settings or pointers or xml or modules, nothing. Its been working fine ever since. I'm still working on removing the widget, and not breaking the dialer.

Guest WoZZeR999

First of all, thanks for the donations!!!

Hopefully I can begin working on the XIP porting process tomorrow. I want to try to make it as automated as possible. I won't be releasing the new SYS/XIP like I did for the i910 since the Kitchen I use for the TP2 (Ervius Kitchen) uses a different SYS setup, but I hope someone can come along and be the official SYS releaser. Once the new kitchen is release and working, I will most likely recess back into the void (not really visit modaco much more), but you can always contact me at XDA.

I'll keep you posted on kitchen updates.

Good Luck and Happy Cooking!

Guest Tony_vegas

I want to make a HD2 mimic rom, i have the OEM folder from the HD2, is it as simple as dragging and dropping OEMs or isa there more to the process. manilla 2.5 and enhanced menus i primarily what i am looking for

Guest amdzero
I want to make a HD2 mimic rom, i have the OEM folder from the HD2, is it as simple as dragging and dropping OEMs or isa there more to the process. manilla 2.5 and enhanced menus i primarily what i am looking for

afaik you just put it in the OEM folder. I've tried different oem packages like MS3 and S2U2, but I'm still working out the kinks.

Guest Tony_vegas

ok i think i am almost to where i want to be i just need to know one last thing.. how do i get rid of opera? what are the files/folders? and where do i find them?

ok i think i am almost to where i want to be i just need to know one last thing.. how do i get rid of opera? what are the files/folders? and where do i find them?

Sort the OEMApps folder contents by name. You'll see most of the Opera files grouped together that way. Then just comb back through for any you may have missed.