Screen Lock Up

Guest SpaceCracker

Guest designgears
Never thought this hadn't been fixed yet. Gave the phone to my brother and since 1.008 the occurrences are much much much less. From my observation, battery graph showed that the battery level drops suddenly to 0% whenever this occurs. Possibly due to battery voltage dropping below the threshold.

seems to have something to do with the battery, I got a 15% plug your phone in alert even tho the battery was fully charged.

Guest ushtobe

I also think it is a problem with the battery. The problem rarely happens when the battery is at full charge and never when it is plugged in. When the battery is below 50-60% it happens with every incoming call and with some outgoing calls or just general use.

I am going to attempt to get the battery replaced on warranty.

Has anyone else with this problem tried a new battery?

Guest designgears
I also think it is a problem with the battery. The problem rarely happens when the battery is at full charge and never when it is plugged in. When the battery is below 50-60% it happens with every incoming call and with some outgoing calls or just general use.

I am going to attempt to get the battery replaced on warranty.

Has anyone else with this problem tried a new battery?

I only a 2000mAh battery, never used the original.

Which makes me think its software or other hardware causing the issue.

Guest three_pineapples
I only a 2000mAh battery, never used the original.

Which makes me think its software or other hardware causing the issue.

You cannot say that at all. You are using a crappy aftermarket battery which most people have reported provides no extra life over the stock one. Futhermore it has been reported that the 2000mAh battery heats up more, etc.

It is quite possible that your issue will go away if you start using the stock battery, which can be made to last a full day with heavy usage or 2-3 days with light usage if you kill extra processes, remove bad widgets etc.

• 1 month later...
Guest isshah

I have had this problem with my Acer also. I have tried multiple chargers and I have even duplicated the issue when the phone is connected to a charger. I think the issue I have is related to pulling data in a edge area which seems to me now that i read some of the earlier posting that maybe I have a bad radio baseband (or buggy). I have not been able to get this error when i use wifi or if I am in a ATT (1900mhz) 3g area. I have even replaced the phone with another only to get the exact same issues which leads me to believe the issue is software/firmware related esp since it was the same software level.

So here my current stats:

I use At&t service in the US

Firmware Version :1.6

BaseBand Version: A1-01.02.01

Kernel Version: 2.6.29

Build number: Acer _Liquid_1.002.03_EMEA_GEN1

So my question is if I upgrade to the latest official rom EUU_Acer_Liquid_2.000.16_EMEA_GEN1 would this change the baseband? I really hope so cause it very annoying as the phone will either reboot by itself after this error or I have to remove the battery and even then I have had it boot only to show the same error a few times.

Guest ushtobe
I have had this problem with my Acer also. I have tried multiple chargers and I have even duplicated the issue when the phone is connected to a charger. I think the issue I have is related to pulling data in a edge area which seems to me now that i read some of the earlier posting that maybe I have a bad radio baseband (or buggy). I have not been able to get this error when i use wifi or if I am in a ATT (1900mhz) 3g area. I have even replaced the phone with another only to get the exact same issues which leads me to believe the issue is software/firmware related esp since it was the same software level.

So here my current stats:

I use At&t service in the US

Firmware Version :1.6

BaseBand Version: A1-01.02.01

Kernel Version: 2.6.29

Build number: Acer _Liquid_1.002.03_EMEA_GEN1

So my question is if I upgrade to the latest official rom EUU_Acer_Liquid_2.000.16_EMEA_GEN1 would this change the baseband? I really hope so cause it very annoying as the phone will either reboot by itself after this error or I have to remove the battery and even then I have had it boot only to show the same error a few times.

I have tried tried a number of baseband versions, currently A1-03.05.02, and have always had this problem. I am also on ATT and have noticed that the error typically occurs when switching towers. I borrowed a friends T-Mobile SIM and was unable to reproduce the error on T-Mobile.

I also believe the issue is triggered by ATT bands.

Guest isshah

I have tried tried a number of baseband versions, currently A1-03.05.02, and have always had this problem. I am also on ATT and have noticed that the error typically occurs when switching towers. I borrowed a friends T-Mobile SIM and was unable to reproduce the error on T-Mobile.

I also believe the issue is triggered by ATT bands.

[/quote

I think its related to the 850mhz band as that is the range i am in when i have an edge connection.

Update: I have upgraded to Acer_Liquid_2.000.16_EMEA_GEN1 and Baseband Version: A1-02.01.03 and still had the issue with the phone freezing. I don't know about you ushtobe but I get this error of the 15% battery and the phone freeze even when I am at home and not moving from tower to tower. I think heavy that its related to something with the 850mhz. I see the issue when I go to market place for example and start running a update for a app it will give the error I have even had it do this well I had the charger plugged in. I have used the phone for more than 1.5 hours with no issue when i switched wi-fi on and the edge data connection off. And the fact that you said you used your friends t-mobile sim well t-mobile doesn't use the 850mhz. I think its an issue with the baseband on the phone and something the att towers handling traffic in this spectrum. It could be the phone starts trying to send a higher power to compensate for the issue and causes some fault to occur in the phone. If you find any thing out that will fix it let me know. I just hope the 2.1 version is relased soon and maybe the issue will go away....would be interesting to know if anyone who upgraded to a 2.1 rom still having this issue....wonder if its the baseband or just the 1.6 donut issue.

Edited by isshah

Guest JackTheMan18

I also have this issue - using the Rogers/Fido 1900 Mhz spectrum.

I have this issue when using the standard battery and also the replacement 2000 ma (fake?) battery.

I am using:

Firmware: 1.6

Baseband:A1-01.02.01

Kernel: 2.6.29-disco-b01

Build number: ACR_Liquid_2.000.16.EMEA_Gen1_V1.5

The symptoms appear to be the same - suddenly the phone insists that there is less than 15% battery, and I better plug it in.

A quick reset (taking out the battery, and reinserting) seems to temporarily fix the problem.

I suspect that it is a software problem which I hope will be resolved when the new 2.1 Rom comes out (shortly, I hope).

If anyone has any suggestions in the meantime, please let us know here.

Thanks.

Guest ushtobe
I also have this issue - using the Rogers/Fido 1900 Mhz spectrum.

I have this issue when using the standard battery and also the replacement 2000 ma (fake?) battery.

I am using:

Firmware: 1.6

Baseband:A1-01.02.01

Kernel: 2.6.29-disco-b01

Build number: ACR_Liquid_2.000.16.EMEA_Gen1_V1.5

The symptoms appear to be the same - suddenly the phone insists that there is less than 15% battery, and I better plug it in.

A quick reset (taking out the battery, and reinserting) seems to temporarily fix the problem.

I suspect that it is a software problem which I hope will be resolved when the new 2.1 Rom comes out (shortly, I hope).

If anyone has any suggestions in the meantime, please let us know here.

Thanks.

I'm glad you posted. I was going to ask if anyone using Roger's in Canada has had similar issues since Roger's uses the same bands as AT&T in the US. I think this provides evidence that the issue is caused by the 850MHz band.

I did confirm that the issue does not occur on 1700/2100 MHz bands. I lent my Liquid to a friend for the weekend using T-Mobile US. He used it extensively without any problems.

Can anyone else outside of the US and Canada confirm that the issue occurs on 850MHz and/or 1900MHz bands?

BTW, I tried the A1-03.05.02 baseband that comes with the unofficial 2.1 ROMS. This did not fix the issues. In fact, it seemed to occur more frequently.

Guest isshah
I'm glad you posted. I was going to ask if anyone using Roger's in Canada has had similar issues since Roger's uses the same bands as AT&T in the US. I think this provides evidence that the issue is caused by the 850MHz band.

I did confirm that the issue does not occur on 1700/2100 MHz bands. I lent my Liquid to a friend for the weekend using T-Mobile US. He used it extensively without any problems.

Can anyone else outside of the US and Canada confirm that the issue occurs on 850MHz and/or 1900MHz bands?

BTW, I tried the A1-03.05.02 baseband that comes with the unofficial 2.1 ROMS. This did not fix the issues. In fact, it seemed to occur more frequently.

well it is unofficial baseband lets hope the actually official will be more stable. I don't know about anyone else I have been traveling down the highway and I have been on a call and I did not drop the call however when I was about to hang up the call I noticed the screen nonresponse only to find out that after the other person disconnected it had the please connect charger message.... I guess it good to know if you are already on the call it won't immediately reboot. I have also been using the mp3 player and while driving on the highway and i have had the phone do same thing but not reboot till the song was over. I still think its related to when the phone is connected to a tower running the 850mhz freq as I have been unable to duplicate it when it shows 3g data and since this phone does not support 850mhz 3g then it must be in the 1900 mhz at that time.

Guest SpaceCracker

Recently i discovered that when the phone freezes up with the question mark symbol and i just sit and wait, eventually the phone resets itself. This has to mean the phone is just not compatible with one of the AT&T's frequencies. Would anyone else agree with that? Updating the baseband and all that will not fix the problem correct?

Guest tal82k

I am also having this issue and am using AT&T. I have also noticed that it only happens on EDGE. Particularly when there is not dependable signal. When on wifi, no issue. I originally thought it might be due to a bug in an app, but after a full wipe, same happens. I am using the leaked Liquid E rom with LCR 1.2.3 on top. My baseband is A1-03.05.02. I am curious whether this happens if you use disc0s custom kernel. I think it seems a bit like a kernel panic. It probably does not have to do with the baseband, because we all have various basebands. Unless of course Acer has been unable to remedy the issue on their end. I am going to try turning off data altogether to see if that helps.

Guest tal82k

Sorry to double post, but the phone did just freeze up with data turned off! This leaves me simply confused. I think I am going to restore to stock and try the whole process over.

Guest tal82k

I have found that turning on airplane mode means no freezing. So to sum up, if it is connected to 3g, HSPA, WiFi, it works just fine. If connected EDGE or data is turned off, it freezes and goes into reboot cycles. But, if in airplane mode (regardless of wifi), it does not freeze. I tested whether it made a difference if it was connected/paired with bluetooth, and it does not seem to affect anything (it will still freeze if only connected to EDGE). This all seems to be due to connecting in particular to AT&T in the US. I have not tested this with the newest Acer_LiquidE_0.008.06_EMEA_GEN1 bin as I don't have ready access to Windows to do the bin flash. Has anyone flashed the new bin to see if it makes a difference?

Guest tal82k

So it seems that malez was right. I disabled orientation changing, and it has not been having an issue. I also tried to get a log, but I pulled the log right after it did one of the freeze/reboot cycles, and the log was only from after the reboot.

Two questions: how can I get a log that includes when it froze before rebooting? Is there a way to manually change to landscape? I can't type very well with the portrait keyboard, and would much prefer to use the landscape one.

Guest JackTheMan18
So it seems that malez was right. I disabled orientation changing, and it has not been having an issue. I also tried to get a log, but I pulled the log right after it did one of the freeze/reboot cycles, and the log was only from after the reboot.

Two questions: how can I get a log that includes when it froze before rebooting? Is there a way to manually change to landscape? I can't type very well with the portrait keyboard, and would much prefer to use the landscape one.

Can you please confirm that disabling the orientation seems to fix this problem?

P.S. I strongly suggest installing the HTC_IME keyboard which works very well with voice input.

It may be found at:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=624416

Guest malez

- To have a log, if you are using LCR rom (don't have time to read all previous post to know), you can activate permanent logging using log-debug, see explanation here

http://code.google.com/p/acer-liquid-commu...wToMakeAGoodLog

Logs will be kept on sd until you restart the log.

If you simply use logcat after a restart, you will only see events that occured after the reboot

Guest nurogo

I have also a problem, but it's not related (i think) with battery, because it hapens now and i've 70% battery left. Sometimes my phone simply stays on black screen, and even if i push the power button it does nothing. The only way is to take the battery out, and power on the phone.

This problem started with LCR 1.2.2, but now i've the original Acer_LiquidE_0.008.06_EMEA_GEN1.

Baseband: A1-03.10.03

Kernel: 2.6.29

Firmware: 2.1-update1

The only thing i have outside this is:

- malez recovery 0.4.3

- Astro

Does anyone knows why this happens?

thanks

Guest tal82k

I had been using evil D 1.9, but I decided to switch to LCR because of the ease of logging. After I switched to LCR 1.2.3, I could not reproduce the issue (so far...). I'll let you know if it happens again. Thank you Jacktheman18 and malez for your help!

Guest tal82k

Bad news. During work today, the freeze/reboot bit happened again. I decided it would be best to just shut down the phone and let it wait until after work. I have just taken logs and theoretically caught it in the act. My logs are attached.

logs.zip