Rom Dump/Build Application

Guest wes58

Guest Devil1978

Yes i did. But in Octans Downloader i cant select a language. I hope thats correct.

Now i flashed my cooked ROM, the CSC and the PHONE.

And select the german language.

Now the Omnia shows the OMNIA II logo and the start animation.

And the screen of the omnia shows nothing.

Edited by Devil1978

Guest Gary Crutcher
Yes i did. But in Octans Downloader i cant select a language. I hope thats correct.

If you are just flashing the PDA, you cannot select any language.

Do you want me to upload a wm6.5.5 pda for you to try?

If yes, upload to what server?

I do have a rapidshare account, so I can upload to there.

Guest Gary Crutcher

Now i flashed my cooked ROM, the CSC and the PHONE.

And select the german language.

Now the Omnia shows the OMNIA II logo and the start animation.

And the screen of the omnia shows nothing.

How long did you wait after the start animation?

It takes a few minutes for the initflashfiles.dat to run.

Guest Devil1978

I wait 30 minutes after the start animation. But nothing happens.

I have a rapidshare premium account.

I downloaded this files:

23529 Rollup - All Packages (~200MB)

Language Localization Packages - build 28205/23518/23529 - all contained in rollup!

Initflashfiles.dat for all languages (updated feb 6, 2010)

Edited by Devil1978

Guest Gary Crutcher
I wait 30 minutes after the start animation. But nothing happens.

I have a rapidshare premium account.

I downloaded this files:

23529 Rollup - All Packages (~200MB)

Language Localization Packages - build 28205/23518/23529 - all contained in rollup!

Initflashfiles.dat for all languages (updated feb 6, 2010)

Did you copy everything into the SYS folder?

Yes i copied the DPI, Language and the folders of the applications and so on into the SYS folder of my dumped rom and overwited the existing files.

Let's go through the steps you did again:

- Flash original Secany's ROM with CSC selected for you language

- Dump the Rom from the phone. You get rom_dump.bin. (You don't have to rename it, you can open it with romTool with the name it has)

- Dump the rom_dump.bin with romTool

- Build new rom with romTool

- Flash the phone.

THE PHONE WORKS OK.

You want to port new OS:

- Downloaded from xda-developers website version 23529

- You OEM stays as is - don't replace initflashfiles.dat file because your phone was setup for your language when you flashed it with Secany's rom and CSC file!

- Deleted everything from you SYS folder except for \.VM and \.ROM folders.

- Copied all files from your new OS 23529, except for \.VM and \.ROM - if they were there!

- Deleted all not needed files from your SYS folder - languages, dpi folders and others that you didn't want.

- Copied xip.bin from new OS 23529 to \xipTools\xipNewOS

- Start romTool and select all options on xip part of the build tab except for "Adjust size of XIP".

- When ExtReloc starts you do:

- - Press "Open ROMHDD+.VM+.ROM" button

- - Press "Import XIPPort" and xipport.exe starts

- - Press "ReallocV" in extreloc. On the Debug tab, you should get on the log list no errors.

- - Go to xipport screen and press "realoc P". Press "write maps" in xipport

- - Go to extreloc and double click on "physlast" number

- - Press "Realloc NK.EXE,GIISR.DDL,etc" button. On the Debug tab, you should get on the log list no errors.

- - Go to xipport and press "realloc P" again. Xip is now reallocated.

- - You can press in extreloc "Save ROMHDR+.VM+.ROM", but I think it does it automatically.

- - In extreloc drag the vertical white line to the left and press "Realloc IMGFS modules". On the Debug tab, you should get on the log list no errors.

- - Press "Save .VM and .ROM". Close extreloc

- Build of PDA should continue and you should get a new pda file.

If this didn't work - the phone didn't boot fully try another thing:

When you go through the build process and extReloc starts, do:

Go to "Options" tab in ExtReloc. Select "Use packages.cif for reloc IMGFS"

Select "Use flag 'L' for IMGFS"

Deselect "Move 'dllfirst(Lo)'"

Press "Save Options" and do the steps for reallocation of xip and imgfs.

Just one more thing that you can check. If the phone is 'stuck' during the boot, press and hold 'call end' button (to switch the phone off). If the phone switches itself off it means that the phone is not locked up. If that is a case, you can try to switch it back on and off a few times. It happened to me before that when I did this the phone booted properly.

Guest wymonsoon

Thank you for sharing , i am really eager to customize my own rom.

I have decided to write an application to build new ROMs. It is similar what Pako's ExeCutor is but I wanted something with more control of what options I want to chose. Sometimes when I dump the Rom I modify some parts of it and then find out that something is missing so instead of going through the whole process of dumping I can for example select to dump only imgfs.bin. That's why I thought that having an option to choose when dumping or building the ROM was a good idea - at least for me. It's not finished yet, I would like to do some other things but I want to make sure that this part works. If you find it useful, use it and hopefully it works fine.

There is also an option to Dump and Build CSC file which can be flashed with Octans. Multi or single csc files can be used. I found that some of the CSC have different files. For example in I8000ITVIL5.csc there is an application WMWifiRouter.exe. I haven't tried it yet. Maybe someone did?

I included a short text file that describes the options. 

Default options are for normal Rom dump/build.

I could only do as many tests as one person can do, I build my last rom yesterday (WM6550-23518) and it works so hopefully it will work for you. I tested it on Windows 7 Ultimate. It would be good if more people tested it, so I can find any bugs - there is no doubt that there are some.

If you find any problems please post some details (or PM me) not just saying "it's not working" I will try to fix it.

And the last note as usual - USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK! 

Edit:

Updated archive.

- Added an option to change PDA version in nb0 file.

- 20/01/10 Version 1.2Beta added - fixed some bugs, changed messages. Now, when there is an error during building it should stop building and have a message that build failed. There are some functions disabled (for porting new OS xip) until I have a chance to fully tested. Replace romTool.exe with the one from the archive.

- 23/01/10 Version 1.3 added - Added an option for porting Xip (automatic when building rom or manual) from new OS.

If porting XIP you have to run ExtReloc.exe and follow instructions to re-allocate modules in sys and xip, otherwise xip won't work!!! If you port xip you have to select option to 'Build and Insert xip.bin'.

If anyone has problems with PkgTool, you can try to use romTool.exe to dump to packages. For it to work, you have to rename (or remove) pkgTool.exe to some other name. If romTool.exe won't find it in \Tools folder it will dump to packages without pkgTool. Hope it works, it worked for me.

Edit: Changed archive file. I forgot to include Rom folder in the last archive. So if someone didn't have previous version it would be missing. There is a file in ROM folder that is necessary for builiding imgfs.bin. If someone downloaded it earlier please do it again.

4/02/10 Version 1.6 added. This is the last and final version. It does for me what I want so the only thing I will do is to try to fix any bugs.

What's new in this version:

- changed layout of rom folders. You can keep your roms in separate folders. Use a template folder to create a folder for a different rom.

- changed a layout of pages a little bit

- added a page SYS/OEM mods., for modifying OEM and SYS folders. The files can be deleted and the log file can be created that lists all the files that were deleted. The log files can be used for future roms so you don't have to remember which files to delete.

- on SYS/OEM mods. page there is an option to modify the contents of some files, like registry, provxml etc. For this you can use your own software - you can select the file that you want to open and press HEX EDITOR or TEXT EDITOR buttons and they will open the file in the program that you assign to those buttons.

- added SETTINGS tab where you can assign two programs for text mode editing or binary (hex) editing. The programs can be launched from SYS/OEM mod page.

- added a short guide about how to use it.

7/02/10 Version 1.6.1. Replace the file romTool.exe.

A small bug fixed. After deleting files in "sys\oem mods" tab the folder changed back to root folder (sys or oem). Now it stays on the folder which was selected prior to pressing delete button.

8/02/10 Version 1.6.2. Replace the file romTool.exe

Just a small addition, I thought might be useful. You can start Octans downloader from the Build Rom Tab and flash the phone after you finish the build. You have to set a path to it in Settings.

12/02/10 Version 1.6.3. Replace the file romTool.exe

- Updated guide pdf file

- Fixed a few bugs that I found. In SYS\OEM mod tab, if the log file was bigger than 20kb application crashed.

- In OEM\SYS MOD tab the files that can be deleted from oem\sys folders are highlighted in log list pane.

- When deleting a lot of files you can see the progress when you scroll down the log list. The files/folders that are still highlighted are yet to be deleted.

- CSC BUILD tab - Added an option to edit/modify the files in the CSC folder. The files can be also deleted if not needed in the new CSC

13/02/10 Version 1.6.4 Replace the file romTool.exe

- Added an option in Settings tab to save PDA version. This way you can use your version name, or the latest version of the rom. The data is saved in registry and appears on the Build Rom tab.

- Added a button in SYS\OEM mod tab to move up from the current directory instead of looking for [..] in the list.

19/02/10 Version 1.6.5 Replace the file romTool.exe

- in Build rom tab added an option to start two other applications "rgu-2-xml.exe" and OEMizer.exe. You have to put those application in the Tools folders. You can download Oemizer and read about on http://tiermann.net/index.php?option=com_c...=2&Itemid=2

rgu-2-xml you can find on http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=386677

- in SYS\OEM mods tab changed the code so it checks for some duplicate folders like OSFiles and/or OSModules, MediaOSFiles and/or MediaOSModules, BaseAppsFiles and/orBaseAppsModules and allows you to delete one if the second one is present. The check is only done if you have one of the folders listed in the sys.log file. For example if you have OSFiles included in the log. The folder will be deleted only if OSModules folder is present in your sys folder. If you don't list OSFiles or OSModules in the log file both files will be left in the sys folder (if they are present there) and buildOs will complain about duplicate files.

20/02/10 Version 1.6.6 Replace the file romTool.exe

- added an option to save the path to the last used ROM folder to the registry (as suggested by GTx-M.M). It will default to this location when you start an application. Any changes to the ROM folder path are automatically saved in registry.

- added a button to save the log of all messages to the file. This may be useful to track any issues. The file name is MsgLog.txt and is created in your current ROM folder. The message log can be created for the current session (from start of an application until exit), messages will be added to the message log file. After you exit application and start again the message log file will be overwritten with the new file.

I should thank the authors of the tools that made cooking of roms possible. Authors of osnbtool, buildOs, imgfsFromDump, pkgTool, dump, XIPport, EXTReloc.

Guest Gary Crutcher

Wes58,

I never did any of the steps with the xip.bin, just copied it as I

stated and all worked fine.

I did use the phone with 6.5.5 from XDA for about 4 days with

no problems then switched back to the 6.5 classic as I did not

like the menus at the bottom.

So, why should I have gone through the xip steps you presented?

Guest Devil1978

@Gary Crutcher and wes58:

Thank you very much for your great help.

My Omnia 2 runs now with a german WM6.5.5 ROM.

But its not perfectly at this time.

The only problem i have is that the Welcome screen and the Adjust screen shows only SYMBOLS and not the text.

Instead the TEXT in the buttons my Omnia 2 shows only symbols too.

And instead the clock and the battery there are symbols.

I think i have a problem with the format of the fonts and scripts.

Guest Gary Crutcher

The only problem i have is that the Welcome screen and the Adjust screen shows only SYMBOLS and not the text.

Don't forget to do regional settings, if you haven't done this already.

Wes58,

I never did any of the steps with the xip.bin, just copied it as I

stated and all worked fine.

I did use the phone with 6.5.5 from XDA for about 4 days with

no problems then switched back to the 6.5 classic as I did not

like the menus at the bottom.

So, why should I have gone through the xip steps you presented?

It looks to me that you didn't port xip from new os but used the existing one from your current samsung rom.

If you port xip (meaning that you have all options ticked in xip part of the build tab) you are getting in xip:

from your samsung rom:

LangDB

WinCENLS_LANG_SEC

OEMXIPADDON

OEMXIPKERNEL

and from the new OS:

MSXIPKernel

MSXIPKernelLTK

Obviosuly MSXIPKernel modules would be allocated to different memory address than the old ones. That's why you should do the whole xip and imgfs reallocation if you do that.

You should check, if you haven't done it post #5 on http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=544445. You can read what each package in SYS folder is, maybe you deleted the wrong ones?

Guest Gary Crutcher
It looks to me that you didn't port xip from new os but used the existing one from your current samsung rom.

If you port xip (meaning that you have all options ticked in xip part of the build tab) you are getting in xip:

from your samsung rom:

LangDB

WinCENLS_LANG_SEC

OEMXIPADDON

OEMXIPKERNEL

and from the new OS:

MSXIPKernel

MSXIPKernelLTK

Obviosuly MSXIPKernel modules would be allocated to different memory address than the old ones. That's why you should do the whole xip and imgfs reallocation if you do that.

Actually, I copied the XDA wm6.5.5 xip.bin over my existing xip.bin,

then built the rom.

Thanks. More knowledge for next time. :D

Edited by Gary Crutcher

Actually, I copied the XDA wm6.5.5 xip.bin over my existing xip.bin,

then built the rom.

Thanks. More knowledge for next time. :D

But how did you insert it in the new PDA?

If you didn't insert it, the PDA would be created with the old xip.bin which was in xip.nb file. PDA is assembled with header, xip.nb (which is not just xip.bin but also has boot.bin and partition information for boot.bin, xip.bin and imgfs.bin) and imgfs.bin. Imgfs.bin is just added to the end of xip.nb (with adjusted values in partition information). Header is added to the beginning of xip.nb. But xip.bin can't just be added like this. It is compressed and inserted (replacing old compressed xip.bin) in xip.nb file.

So you had xip part from the old OS and imgfs from the new.

Guest Gary Crutcher
But how did you insert it in the new PDA?

If you didn't insert it, the PDA would be created with the old xip.bin which was in xip.nb file. PDA is assembled with header, xip.nb (which is not just xip.bin but also has boot.bin and partition information for boot.bin, xip.bin and imgfs.bin) and imgfs.bin. Imgfs.bin is just added to the end of xip.nb (with adjusted values in partition information). Header is added to the beginning of xip.nb. But xip.bin can't just be added like this. It is compressed and inserted (replacing old compressed xip.bin) in xip.nb file.

So you had xip part from the old OS and imgfs from the new.

Ok. Thanks. Makes sense to me.

Guest Devil1978

Now my Cooked ROM runs without any errors.

Thank you very much for your very good help.

And wes58 thank you for your excellent tool.

But on Windows-Standard screen it shows: BETA EXPIRED 05/01/2010.

Is it real?

Edited by Devil1978

Now my Cooked ROM runs without any errors.

Thank you very much for your very good help.

And wes58 thank you for your excellent tool.

But on Windows-Standard screen it shows: BETA EXPIRED 05/01/2010.

Is it real?

Read previous posts you will find how to remove it.

Guest GTx-M.M
I could do that or I could make so when you start an application it opens on the last used ROM folder. This way you don't have to worry about going to settings ans saving it.

Which one would you prefer?

I have added version 1.6.6 to the first post.

As suggested by GTx-M.M, it saves the location of the last used ROM folder to registry. When you start the application it will default to this location.

I know its too late :( but thanks a lot and it will nice if you add both and the user choice one u know sometime we change the folder for dumping template folder

Edited by GTx-M.M

I know its too late :( but thanks a lot and it will nice if you add both and the user choice one u know sometime we change the folder for dumping template folder

The way I always do it, I create the new rom folder. Copy the contents of template folder into it and work on the new folder.

Maybe I should have a button to create a new rom Folder and than the contents of the template folder would be automatically copied into this new folder?

I thought this would be better option. But I can change to your preference if that's what other people would prefer. But having both won't work. We have to decide which one is better.

So if the people who are using it could comment, I will do it that way:

Option 1: As it currently is - When you start an application it defaults to the last opened/used rom folder.

Option 2: You select in Settings which rom folder you want to use when you start the application.

Guest monsterfly

After flashing ROM created with this kitchen I get error stating "WLMImageUpdate" is not a valide Pocket PC application.

What I did:

1. flashed I8000NXXJB1 rom which I got from this treat

2. dumped it using sorg's dskdump

3. renamed rom_dump.bin to PDA.nb and dumped it using this kitchen

4. didn't change anything just build it back and flashed

What is the problem?

After flashing ROM created with this kitchen I get error stating "WLMImageUpdate" is not a valide Pocket PC application.

What I did:

1. flashed I8000NXXJB1 rom which I got from this treat

2. dumped it using sorg's dskdump

3. renamed rom_dump.bin to PDA.nb and dumped it using this kitchen

4. didn't change anything just build it back and flashed

What is the problem?

When you built the rom, did you do "Realloc IMGFS modules" in EXTreloc? You should have done it.

Guest monsterfly
When you built the rom, did you do "Realloc IMGFS modules" in EXTreloc? You should have done it.

I did. ROM starts ok. Just stating this error message at start.