CHT 8000 Taiwan chinese rom firmware?

Guest butpatbut

Guest kenoboe

If you prepare to flash modaco rom, I think you don't need to flash my superboot.img.

Because modaco's rom already has su and superuser.apk. You could flash my previous newboot.img.

Superboot.img is for users who want to root stock rom (cht8000) .

Modaco rom plus my boot.img actually works!! :(

(except some modaco's unique functions like app2sd and swap will not work

because these functions defined in modaco's boot.img )

If you did back up stock rom, you can restore anytime when your phone couldn't work after flashing any custom rom. :(

So it sounds like your original boot image was the same size as mine, 2,621,4400 bytes.

The MD5 checksum on mine is ec9a5253a368e074bf1d7974b76ce8f3.

Update: Looks like I posted before I saw your update. Ok, that probably explains it.

BTW, did the sequence I wrote for applying both a modaco rom and your superboot make sense. (I'm very paranoid of bricking my phone.) :(

Thanks for all the help. Looks like everything is working like it's supposed to (except for the ones you mentioned).

Too bad about a2sd and swap. Those are two of the more "attractive" reasons for rooting this thing.

One more thing.

Good news!! I had successfully rooted cht8000's original boot.img.

I backed up cht8000's original rom, then flash the new boot.img and add su & Superuser.apk

So are you saying that installing one of the superboot images adds "su" as well as Superuser.apk?

Is /system/bin/su not part of an original system? Or is it there, but is modified in the superboot image?

Which files does the superboot image actually add or modify? (I knew about Superuser.apk, Quick Boot.apk and superboot.done, but I didn't know about su.)

Thanks.

Edited by twrock

Guest kenoboe

Superboot image add Superuser.apk, Quick Boot.apk, and su.

Su is not in original system.

If I modify init.rc in boot.img accroding to modaco's init.rc, a2sd might work.

But swap should not be able to work. Because it's an issue of kernel.

BTW, accoirding to some threads, a2sd seemed to be a bit unstable. :(

Thanks for all the help. Looks like everything is working like it's supposed to (except for the ones you mentioned).

Too bad about a2sd and swap. Those are two of the more "attractive" reasons for rooting this thing.

One more thing.

So are you saying that installing one of the superboot images adds "su" as well as Superuser.apk?

Is /system/bin/su not part of an original system? Or is it there, but is modified in the superboot image?

Which files does the superboot image actually add or modify? (I knew about Superuser.apk, Quick Boot.apk and superboot.done, but I didn't know about su.)

Thanks.

Edited by kenoboe

If I modify init.rc in boot.img accroding to modaco's init.rc, a2sd might work.

But swap should not be able to work. Because it's an issue of kernel.

BTW, accoirding to some threads, a2sd seemed to be a bit unstable. :(

I suppose I really shouldn't need a2sd. I should just delete some of the apps I'm "testing" but am really not going to ever use. :(

Superboot image add Superuser.apk, Quick Boot.apk, and su.

Su is not in original system.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I'm still trying to learn what all I have to fix if I ever need to take this thing back for warranty purposes.

I really think a sticky post with the title "How to do your initial nandroid backup without changing ANYTHING" needs to be written. (Maybe it's already out there, but I never found it!) I think it is hard for people who are already "experts" to talk to someone who really knows nothing. :( Trust me, I know it's hard to understand someone when they don't really speak your language. I deal with it every day! :(

Update: I found the "original" recovery.img. Yes, I'm happy. :(

Update 2: I was typing while you were.

Edited by twrock

Guest kenoboe

I don't have the original recovery.img :(

My recovery.img had been replaced by pulse's 1.5.2 recovery.img :(

I'm not sure if the wrranty will be invalid :(

Haha~~ If my phone couldn't work, I might buy another phone like google nexus one :(

I suppose I really shouldn't need a2sd. I should just delete some of the apps I'm "testing" but am really not going to ever use. :(

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I'm still trying to learn what all I have to fix if I ever need to take this thing back for warranty purposes.

I really think a sticky post with the title "How to do your initial nandroid backup without changing ANYTHING" needs to be written. (Maybe it's already out there, but I never found it!) I think it is hard for people who are already "experts" to talk to someone who really knows nothing. :( Trust me, I know it's hard to understand someone when they don't really speak your language. I deal with it every day! :(

Now my next problem is that I don't have the original system's recovery.img. Any possibility you still have your original recovery.img? Maybe at this point I just need to go back and ask the same question as the OP. :(

I don't have the original recovery.img :(

My recovery.img had been replaced by pulse's 1.5.2 recovery.img :(

I'm not sure if the wrranty will be invalid :(

Haha~~ If my phone couldn't work, I might buy another phone like google nexus one :(

I found it! (see above)

So then my next question is, other than adding Superuser.apk, su, the Quick Boot file, and superboot.done, would booting (not flashing) the superboot.img have done any other changes to my original system?

Can you post your original boot.img here for me to check? Do you have that?

Thanks.

Guest kenoboe

It will let you be able to use adb to execute some special commands like

adb remount

adb pull

adb push

Here you are~~ :(

update:

Really!!?? could you share ur "original" recovery.img.

Thanks very much.

I found it! (see above)

So then my next question is, other than adding Superuser.apk, su, the Quick Boot file, and superboot.done, would booting (not flashing) the superboot.img have done any other changes to my original system?

Can you post your original boot.img here for me to check? Do you have that?

Thanks.

boot.img

Edited by kenoboe

update:

Really!!?? could you share ur "original" recovery.img.

Thanks very much.

Certainly. I'm glad I can finally be of some help! :(

I had to compress it to get it under the limit. The md5 checksum is 6d60f2e478694c6f2613c328f9506cac

Also, I don't think I was clear in my last question.

From your experience of working on your superboot.img, do you know if there were any other changes to the system other than those four files being added?

Thanks for the boot.img. It was the same as mine, so it looks like that didn't get changed.

recovery.rar

Edited by twrock

Guest kenoboe

Well, no change will apply to the system.

Except you can use app needing root access now :(

Thanks for your recovery.img :(

Certainly. I'm glad I can finally be of some help! :(

I had to compress it to get it under the limit. The md5 checksum is 6d60f2e478694c6f2613c328f9506cac

Also, I don't think I was clear in my last question.

From your experience of working on your superboot.img, do you know if there were any other changes to the system other than those four files being added?

Thanks for the boot.img. It was the same as mine, so it looks like that didn't get changed.

Edited by kenoboe

Guest BoDyTaNk
I believe that is correct from what I see in the stock Android ROMs. The handwriting software is called Hanvon Calla IME, and it is traditional Chinese (vs. simplified characters). Localization is Chinese and English only in the stock ROM.

Is it possible to extract the handwriting software and share it?

Guest kenoboe

Good news !! From Chunghwa Telecom, CHT8000 will be updated to 2.1 by the end of March !!

It will support multitouch .... :(

I hope the schedule of update will not be delayed :(

Due to copyright, I don't think it is appropriate to share the handwriting recognition software of CHT8000 :(

On the other hand, it might not work on other phones.

At least, it can't work on MoDaCo's custom rom.

Is it possible to extract the handwriting software and share it?

Probably not by me. Being a slow-learning noob, I really don't know where to start. (And as kenoboe mentioned, I don't know whether or not it would be illegal and violate the sites "no illegal content" policy; so far we've just been sharing boot and recovery images, assuming those are fair game since they are only useful on the hardware they came with.)

What about the HTC ime that is out there already? Would that work for you?

kenoboe, I inquired about that same thing a week ago and got the same answer: "possibly the end of March or April". Yeah, multi-touch would be cool as well as the other 2.1 enhancements.

Edit: for future reference.

Link to CHT 8000 ROM: http://www.rayfile.com/zh-cn/files/1547cdc...f-0015c55db73d/

(I can't get the English page to load directly. For some reason, I have to go the the Chinese page first, the open the English page link in a new tab. Unfortunately requires installation of the RaySource download software.)

Link to Huawei IME (for Chinese and English handwriting recognition): hwIME.zip

Edited by twrock

• 2 weeks later...
Guest twrock
Indeed , I dont know <_<

I use my root boot.img to modify a superboot for cht8000 from pulse's 1.5 superboot :mellow:

Just a simple followup question from me.

It seems this superboot image only works for me if I start with wiped system.

Do others have the same experience, or did you get it to work without wiping the device first?

• 2 months later...
Guest twrock

Below is a link to some recent information for CHT8000 users about the planned 2.1 ROM upgrade. If I'm reading it right, new versions of the phone will have a memory upgrade and will come with 2.1 installed beginning in June (some time) and the roll out of the 2.1 ROM to current users has been postponed to some time in July. So the bad news is that there is still some time to wait, but the good news is that there is still a plan to deliver an official 2.1 ROM. But you can read it for yourself here:

http://tinyurl.com/2coznva