I Put SPB Mobile Shell 3.5.3 On Storage card to save space. What problems could I have?

I have an I920, due to space limitations on the main storage I have installed all the apps possible to the storage card. After deleting all the extraneous files I could, I have about 70 meg of free ram and about 70 meg of free device memory. I have tons of apps installed on the storage card and today to go from 50 - 70 free on the device I moved SPB mobile shell and the Mskip Elegance add on to the storage card. I know SPB Mobile shell says it is supposed to be installed to the device memory but those 2 take up 20 meg. Moving them gave me that 20 meg back.

I do not have it loading at startup, I have a link on my start menu to start mobile shell and another link to close mobile shell. SOmetimes I use the standard today screen and sometimes I like to use the mobile shell. Switching on the fly because mobile shell uses so much ram that I often close it if I want to run a few programs at once and then just start it up again.

Is there a particular reason spb mobile shell needs to run from the device? I have been running it off the storage card today and so far I can see no difference in how it works, its capabilities or anything else. It seems to run fine from the storage card. I can't find anything (so far) that doesn't work. Does anyone know of any loss of functionality or or potential problems that might arrise from running it on the storage card?

Edited by Ceed19

Are you sure it's running from "My Storage" instead of device? I've never been able to get it to install to "My Storage." Even though "My Storage" is an option when installing, I believe it still installs to device.

Guest akusokuzan
Are you sure it's running from "My Storage" instead of device? I've never been able to get it to install to "My Storage." Even though "My Storage" is an option when installing, I believe it still installs to device.

I think he just moved it from his storage to his storage card... But I don't think there should be many problems...just update the links to each of the files, and I guess it should be okay. I know one problem I had running apps from my storage card is the trusted security. When I ran them at startup, Windows wouldn't let me open them because they "weren't trusted apps". Maybe that can be an issue?

Yes it always installs to device memory. The way I moved it is using sktools> move application. I moved it from my device, to my storage\program files\spb mobile shell.

I installed Mskip proplus elegance which modifies spb mobile shell. When I moved proplus elegance the entire spb mobile shell folders gets moved (20 megs), and it updates the links in the registry and the shortcuts to reflect the new folder location. Then I had to just update the path in my mortscript file that closes mobile shell to reflect the new location.

its still running fine, so now im wondering why is it they make it or recommend it to always and only installed to device memory since that memory is so precious to begin with.

I suppose you could have a little problem if you connect to your PC using my storage as a mass storage device to transfer files to your phone, when it will become invisible to the phone. I am going to try it myself now and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: Confirmed works good! when I tried to do this before I tried to move the spb installation and it would not work so I gave up but by moving the mskip install it works great. Remember to exit mobile shell first if you try to move it.... :)

Edited by Uboy

Guest chriswells13
I have an I920, due to space limitations on the main storage I have installed all the apps possible to the storage card. After deleting all the extraneous files I could, I have about 70 meg of free ram and about 70 meg of free device memory. I have tons of apps installed on the storage card and today to go from 50 - 70 free on the device I moved SPB mobile shell and the Mskip Elegance add on to the storage card. I know SPB Mobile shell says it is supposed to be installed to the device memory but those 2 take up 20 meg. Moving them gave me that 20 meg back.

I do not have it loading at startup, I have a link on my start menu to start mobile shell and another link to close mobile shell. SOmetimes I use the standard today screen and sometimes I like to use the mobile shell. Switching on the fly because mobile shell uses so much ram that I often close it if I want to run a few programs at once and then just start it up again.

Is there a particular reason spb mobile shell needs to run from the device? I have been running it off the storage card today and so far I can see no difference in how it works, its capabilities or anything else. It seems to run fine from the storage card. I can't find anything (so far) that doesn't work. Does anyone know of any loss of functionality or or potential problems that might arrise from running it on the storage card?

Very nice idea. Saving 20 megs of device memory is huge. What I would like to do if possible is put SPB MS on My Storage and have it load from startup. Is there a particular version of SK Tools, with the "move" feature, that I need. I also use Imarche skins so I probably need to tweek that also so it knows the new location of MS. Hope my phone doesn't blow up.

Guest rainerateimer

WOW 20MB saved?

I have 80MBs RAM without Mobile Shell with German I8000 and Custom ROM, after SPB MS + ProPlus Elegance i have only 50MBs left.

I installed everthing new and moved the MSkip Pro Elegance install with SKtools but after that i still have only 50MBs left of RAM.

PLEASE give us an exact description on how to get MS and MSkip out of the RAM and on our Internal Memory becouse im sure that there are many people who would like to get those 20MBs back!

But I allready thank you for the idea, if it works out, it could make ProPlus Elegance to the best thing after Mobile Shell itself :)

Guest rainerateimer

Just an Idea, after Moving proplus elegance (and with it the whole Mobile Shell folder) do you have to delete this Mobile Shell folder in the ,,Aplication data " folder?

When I used sktools to move Mskip Elegance I moved it from:

\Program Files\SPB Mobile Shell

to

My STorage\Program Files\SPB Mobile Shell

the entire folder was moved and was no longer on my device and is instead in my storage. Dont use move files or folders in sk tools, use move application. It will move the entire folder and update the links in the registry and the shortcuts.

you can start and stop mobile shell as well as have it load from startup. Its been a couple of days and I still have not noticed any loss in functionality by having it on my storage as opposed to on my device, 78 meg of device memory free now with more than 50 apps installed, and 70+ ram free. I plan to leave it like it is unless there is some major issue that appears in the near future

Guest 07aspenx
When I used sktools to move Mskip Elegance I moved it from:

\Program Files\SPB Mobile Shell

to

My STorage\Program Files\SPB Mobile Shell

the entire folder was moved and was no longer on my device and is instead in my storage. Dont use move files or folders in sk tools, use move application. It will move the entire folder and update the links in the registry and the shortcuts.

you can start and stop mobile shell as well as have it load from startup. Its been a couple of days and I still have not noticed any loss in functionality by having it on my storage as opposed to on my device, 78 meg of device memory free now with more than 50 apps installed, and 70+ ram free. I plan to leave it like it is unless there is some major issue that appears in the near future

What version of sktools are you using? I have the latest version which is 4.4.7.15 and I don't see a "move application" when choosing SPB Mobile Shell.

What version of sktools are you using? I have the latest version which is 4.4.7.15 and I don't see a "move application" when choosing SPB Mobile Shell.

Im using 4.1.25.4

Category: All

Selection: Move Data

Selection: Move Application

Selection: Mskip Proplus Elegance

Action: Move Application

Im using 4.1.25.4

Category: All

Selection: Mskip Proplus Elegance

Upgraded to 4.4.7.15

Category: Standard

Selection: mskip ProPlus Elegance

Choose destination folder

It's moving only Mskip to MyStorage. SPB Mobile Shell still remains in main memory. There is no option "Move application" in SkTools, when you choose SPB Mobile Shell. :)

It's moving only Mskip to MyStorage. SPB Mobile Shell still remains in main memory. There is no option "Move application" in SkTools, when you choose SPB Mobile Shell. :)

did you install msk ip into the same dir as mobile shell when I move mskip, since it replaced the mobile shell files, when I move mskip the files which are reallyare mobile shell files mobile shell is essentially moved. I never moved the mobile shell entry onlymskip which is installed on top of mobile shell

Guest 07aspenx

That's what I figured.

Guest chrissonwee
did you install msk ip into the same dir as mobile shell when I move mskip, since it replaced the mobile shell files, when I move mskip the files which are reallyare mobile shell files mobile shell is essentially moved. I never moved the mobile shell entry onlymskip which is installed on top of mobile shell

I installed SPB Shell first into device memory,followed by MSkip's Cab. Next I use Sktools to move the entire folder of SPB Shell from device memory to My Storage. I had done this since version 3.5 on both omnia I and now omnia II. There is no problems at all so far... :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dwallersv
Yes it always installs to device memory. The way I moved it is using sktools> move application. I moved it from my device, to my storage\program files\spb mobile shell.

Just saw this...

I have had problems using "Move Application" to move applications. While this seems the obvious tool to use, I've never been able to have complete success with it.

I move applications by using the "Move Data" tool, then select "move folder with contents". This tool moves the data, scans the registry and updates and file refrences, scans the filesystem and updates all shortcuts, and modifies the installation manifest under \Windows\AppMgr so that uninstall works without errors.

Honestly, I don't know what Move Application actually is useful for, as it doesn't reliably move applications ;)

Guest dwallersv
I suppose you could have a little problem if you connect to your PC using my storage as a mass storage device to transfer files to your phone, when it will become invisible to the phone. I am going to try it myself now and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: Confirmed works good! when I tried to do this before I tried to move the spb installation and it would not work so I gave up but by moving the mskip install it works great. Remember to exit mobile shell first if you try to move it.... ;)

You will have problems, with any application, when connecting in Mass Storage mode for external storage that that app resides on. Mobile Shell will not function properly while connected this way if it is on the Mass Storage that's been mounted.

For this reason I moved MS3 back to Main Storage. There is very little that actually needs to be in Main Storage, but this is one of them, for the reasons cited here.

Alternatively, if you really need the space and have to have MS3 on external storage, use ActiveSync for file transfers for that storage device.

• 1 month later...
Guest owziee

You don't need msskip pro installed... You can use the Move Folder option in sktools aswell,,, I moved just sktools that way from the small phone storage to the 4 GB internal storage on my HTC Diamond.... Works great... All registry entries and stuff will be corrected to point to the new location :)

You can find the Mobile shell folder in \Program Files\

Now I'm using it with the MobileSense Espresso theme though, also moved with sktools move folder option...