Finally a New Rom for i8000, IL5

Guest bluhound
A new Official Italian Rom is available lets hope it comes to the UK soon, im fed up of waiting. Will it be Win Mobile 6.5.3????? Think Not??

http://samsung.hdblog.it/2010/02/09/omnia-...le-i8000nxxil5/

IL5 is Windows Mobile 6.5, not 6.5.3.

My opinion, currently I don't recommend 6.5.3 for daily use as there are quite a number of applications and games which can't run properly due to the new task bar layout.

This is actually really good news!

If Italy is getting this now, Spain and other EU countries will probably update soon as well.

I've been waiting for an official firmware update very badly. I just don't dare try non-official ROMs or even Secany's yet, because I still read reports of users having problems.

Plus, I haven't flashed my Omnia II yet and I feel insecure, like I'm gonna break it anytime :S

That's great news!

It may be a little off-topic, but I think it's a kinda important thing before updating: what is the best backup tool available? SPB? Sprite? Something else?

Guest asus535

I think, many of you are not aware of, how important link I gave you, yet.

Look at how many times it is downloaded. it finds official ROMs, but flashable with Octans.

Edited by asus535

Guest BaltazarPinto

Portugal, I8000.

Seems a bit faster, settings menu is totally diferent. But all the rest seems as before, same uglish black menus and widgets

Edited by BaltazarPinto

I'm rather hoping for a small bump in speed for the interface. I've grown used to the black menus (they work just fine on the AMOLED screen).

Now I'm facing another problem instead.

For some reason, Samsung's New PC Studio is crashing on me all the time when I start to update (yup, Spain got the update too ;) )

It always stops right at 0% of the updating.

I don't want to keep trying just in case one of these times the update fully breaks my phone.

I'm using Windows 7 (installed NPS using Windows Vista SP2 compatibility mode).

Anyone has any idea of what's going on?

Guest BaltazarPinto

Are you runing NPS with administrator privileges ?

Or you can use Samsung Kies to update, i received the availiable update on kies too but installed with NPS. I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits and didn't encounter any problem.

I don't know... there's just something about the whole update process that doesn't seem too reliable to me.

The update downloads way too fast, like in 30 seconds or so. That doesn't sound too much like an update to me.

Then there's NSU itself. Some windows inside the program look cut down, as if the program wasn't showing me all of the information.

And finally there's the update. When it starts, the phone shuts down, the battery indicator appears for a few seconds, and NSU says it's updating.

But it stays at 0% for ever, and ever, and ever...

And yup, I gave it administrator rights, so I don't know what it could be ;)

EDIT: Oh, I had never heard about that Kies software. I'm trying to download, but Samsung's Apps page where it's supposed to be stored officially hasn't worked for me ever.

The site www.samsungapps.com shows random text :S

Edited by Anchel

Guest Crossfire89
I'm rather hoping for a small bump in speed for the interface. I've grown used to the black menus (they work just fine on the AMOLED screen).

Now I'm facing another problem instead.

For some reason, Samsung's New PC Studio is crashing on me all the time when I start to update (yup, Spain got the update too ;) )

It always stops right at 0% of the updating.

I don't want to keep trying just in case one of these times the update fully breaks my phone.

I'm using Windows 7 (installed NPS using Windows Vista SP2 compatibility mode).

Anyone has any idea of what's going on?

It's because you use Windows 7, use Windows Xp!

Can someone who has applied the update give any details on ram ? I read somewhere that Sammy have kindly altered the pagepool size to give an extra awesome massive 5mb of available ram. ;)

Crossfire89, I'm not going back to Windows XP. It's waaay outdated.

In any case, there's users who have posted above that the updating works on Windows 7.

I have downloaded Kies and will probably update tomorrow morning. It's getting late here now.

Thanks for your help!

I'll leave some feedback tomorrow ;)

Guest meabigbaldguy

Perhaps this is redundant question, but I'll ask anyway because I can't seem to get a clear answer from existing posts in this thread.

I'm not able to install NPS on my Win 7 64 bit system, the installer simply won't allow it. It seems that some of you have managed to do so anyway, so can you please tell me how?

If not, then will the update work with XP compatibility mode in Win 7?

How about Kies on Win 7 x64?

Guest surethom
Perhaps this is redundant question, but I'll ask anyway because I can't seem to get a clear answer from existing posts in this thread.

I'm not able to install NPS on my Win 7 64 bit system, the installer simply won't allow it. It seems that some of you have managed to do so anyway, so can you please tell me how?

If not, then will the update work with XP compatibility mode in Win 7?

How about Kies on Win 7 x64?

Tried to check for an update via Windows 7 & just get a blank box, using Win XP it displayed my phones current version & says you have the most up todate version, so I am also having problems with Win 7. I feel sorry for users who only have access to one pc with win 7.

Guest BaltazarPinto

I don't remember if i installed NPS in compatibility mode, NPS is runing without administrator privilege. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits and was able to update my omnia 2 without any problem. Am using Kies too for the marketplace widget and it is working fine, no crashes, no nothing.

Maybe you guys are using an outdated version of NPS.

Guest meabigbaldguy
I don't remember if i installed NPS in compatibility mode, NPS is runing without administrator privilege. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits and was able to update my omnia 2 without any problem. Am using Kies too for the marketplace widget and it is working fine, no crashes, no nothing.

Maybe you guys are using an outdated version of NPS.

I've downloaded NPS directly from the O2 site at Samsungmobile.com. It is New PC Studio version 1.4.0. The samsung site doesn't offer a version that at least states compatibility with any version of Win 7. I'm using Win 7 Enterprise 64bit.

Baltazar, are you using a different version of NPS?

Edited by meabigbaldguy

Guest costipl
Can someone who has applied the update give any details on ram ? I read somewhere that Sammy have kindly altered the pagepool size to give an extra awesome massive 5mb of available ram. ;)

Than was done in JA5, not IL5 (which dates back to December 2009).

Guest BaltazarPinto

NPS shows version 1.2.1 IH2_7,on another forum people are talking about having activesync installed and runing to be able to update the phone. No idea, as i said i didn't encounter any problem. I'm using activesinc to synchronize outlook, had it before i even knew there was a software called NPS. NPS installed fine with some warnings about the drivers, Kies installed fine too and both are runing without a problem.

Ohh ... i remembered that i had a problem installing the update the first time i tried. Had to run NPS as an administrator on Windows 7 to be able to start the update.

Edited by BaltazarPinto

Guest meabigbaldguy

So... I was able to figure out how to get NPS installed and running on Win 7x64. I had to start the .exe with the compatibility troubleshooter and it installed fine. It also starts up and runs okay; however, I cannot get NPS to find my device. My device will connect with Mobile Device Center and sync up with Outlook - like normal, but it just won't connect with NPS.

So anyway, I have some more figuring out to do... unless someone has some advice to offer.