Android project for i8000/L

I want to start porting the android for our i8000 with some help with the folks here. For this project to succeed we will need to get our hands on the new samsung SHW-M100S thats coming out in march. I want to create this topic well in advanced so i can get make a team and hopefully get some donations for this project.

What are you thoughts?

The donations will go towards getting the new SHW-M100S once released so that we can figure out how to port it to the omnia and just to help the team that will put in great amount of work for us to get it on the omnia.

I would like to get a team/donation ready for release day and just order the phone and start porting.

Edited by jebise

It's not immediately apparent to me as I haven't looked into Android too much. What would you say are the big three benefits to being able to run Android (certain android-only apps would be a major reason I assume, I just don't know of any off-hand other than enhanced navigation), and what would the big three negatives be to having a dual boot (I assume) device? I don't mind donating if I see the value. Most people are probably the same I imagine.

well i can't say much as i never owned a android phone, but i have played with them and have the emulator installed and runs flawless.

The major reason for android is that it's open source so we will be able to do much more with the phone once we figure out how it runs. One big reason for me is winmo is just to cluttered/slow and way to buggy. Yes it works but it dose not do a good job at all, only reason its good on the omnia is just because of the samsung apps. Without that the OS would just suck. Winmo is just bloated and slow android is small sleek and quick.

I would compare it like this winmo is like vista and android is like win7

Android opens the door for us omnia owners even if you choose to stay with winmo, we will learn from android which will help us to devope for winmo in a way of speaking. The idea is not to dual boot but to make is the default OS on our omnia, there is no real negative effect to dual booting if you have enough space.

Windows phone details was just released and maybe that will be it could be a solution, but don't know if samsung will provide the option to upgrade. I say the more choices we have the better it will be in the long run.

I love the phone but hate the flaw's because of the OS.

To the people that are voting, please post comments as to why you choose that option and if you are willing to help in this project either by donating or helping to port the OS.

Edited by jebise

Guest Real_life

i hope that the b7610 can take part on this experience because of the similarities between the devices :D

even if they can't, thumbs up for you and your iniciative

Guest Omega Ra

I voted no because I played with an android and didn't really see what all the hub bub was about, don't get me wrong it was pretty decent, but nothing too special that would make me change over...

Those were some pretty "airy" reasons. Now, I'm all for choices. Options make the world go around. I'm personally pretty happy with winmo. Especially with 6.5.x. Without some concrete reasons to port, aside from "just because" and personal preference, I can't say I'd be interested. I don't know what version of winmo you're running or what type of UI, but mine's quick, not buggy, and certainly no vista to android's 7. And windows mobile is as open as it gets mod-wise (just not open in the free license sense, but that's an invisible cost to us anyways).

But like you said, choices are good. I'll watch the thread and if some compelling reasons to load android surface I'll be happy to support it, given the appropriate people in place to handle it. But I could have purchased a Droid (Milestone) and opted out for a reason. Best of luck.

well it a project that i would like to start and i will need help, if there is enough interest then i will start the project, would also need donations to get my hands on the new samsung as we can begin the porting process and who knows. Once we figure out how to port one winmo device to android we maybe able to do a lot more devices.

As of now i'm using secany JA5 ROM and although it runs fine, it would run that much smoother on android, less resource hungry which means more RAM for other things. Better UI and overall a better experience in my opinion, winmo just seems slow compared to android or even iphone.

This thread is just for the people that are willing to donate and to recruit people that have some good sold background that will help make the porting easier. It's a project i would like to start if i get enough interest and will need a team or it would take me months/years as i won't have that much time.

Edited by jebise

Yeah. I totally get it. You just asked for opinions. Looks like you're not alone. It being on the same chipset ought to greatly simplify things. You would hope it's almost a drag and drop deal. I bet they nary changed a thing internally (w/o knowing any specific android reqs). Btw, you could get a dump of an m100s easy enough I'm sure. What you need is a spare O2 for testing purposes.

that is the idea, if i can get my hands on the android OS when that phone comes out then yes i will only need a spare O2 to begin (maybe someone has a spare :D) the port/test. It seems just like a drag and drop deal right now, but i'm sure it won't be that easy, especially if the OS is in Korean.

whatever the case i would still like to get this project underway, not only to benefit myself but to all that want android on there phones

Edited by jebise

that is the idea, if i can get my hands on the android OS when that phone comes out then yes i will only need a spare O2 to begin (maybe someone has a spare :D) the port/test. It seems just like a drag and drop deal right now, but i'm sure it won't be that easy, especially if the OS is in Korean.

whatever the case i would still like to get this project underway, not only to benefit myself but to all that want android on there phones

I will try and find a site I thought I saved that has already taken up donations for anyone serious enough to do this project. There is a lot of interest, though mainly for dual boot for the O2. CDMA as well

i want to start as soon as i get my hands on the OS, i'm no guru at coding but i know my way around. So i would start collecting donations since there is much interest. I cannot guarantee that i will be successful but i can try my best.

To coder please PM me if you want to help with this project, i want a few before i start taking donations for a second omnia that will be used for testing. If i can get my hands on the OS.

• 2 months later...
Guest CroatianOmnia

I sometimes get tiired of WinMo,and I just want something simple and basic. I would really LOVE Androisd on my i8000

Guest voyteckst

I vote Yes, altough work is already in progress. See thread "Android on Omnia II" in ROM subsection - You know already this thread. Just contact almar if You want help.

Edited by voyteckst

Guest Hiroshi.Rio

I'd like to suggest other answer: Yes, BUT I DON'T want Android on MY Omnia 2. :P

I really think to port other OS is always a good idea.

I've had HTCs for some years and this question became on XDA to different models. I really think it is always a good thing to do. Maybe with good consequences that we can think at this time.

BUT, in my case, I don't want to use an Android. A lot of apps that I need simply doesn't exist on this OS. And, moreover, I don't think Android is so much faster than WM. I played with a Nexus One and I wasn't impressed.

So, it always good to see a new chief wants to do this very hard work. But, for me, it is not necessary. :D

• 6 months later...
Guest ThEGraVmaN

I've seen comparable phones running Android instead of WM6xx and they all perform better. Every single one of them. MS makes bloatware in everything they do and thats all there is to it. I can't wait to get it off my phone. The sooner Android is properly ported to the O2 the happier I'll be.

For one thing, my GPS has never worked on my O2 without a data connection. Fantastic hardware, software is good stuff, the OS/drivers suck. I've tried all the fixes but, the fact remains that it should just work and like so much MS touches it does not.

Its time to jump ship.