Toshiba Support Responses - can we poll our resonses from Toshiba RE sound quality issues

Guest adzman808

Guest adzman808

my latest fun & games

Sent: 15 March 2010 12:17

To: Bonn, Adam

Subject: 100218EM14490725

Dear Adam,

Thank you for contacting Toshiba Mobile Communications. Regadring your enquity, Toshiba is working to release very soon this update to fix the audio isssue with the Orange network. Toshiba will not reflesh the device with a free rom version, because the rom version its from Orange and we do not have the rights to change this rom fro any network. We recommned to keep monitoring the web site for anytime updates.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again for further assistance and use the reference number found in the subject field for all enquiries.

Best Regards,

Richard

Toshiba Mobile Communications,

Sent: 16 March 2010 10:29

To: 'Toshiba Support'

Subject: RE: 100218EM14490725

Richard,

This email makes no sense, it completely contradicts earlier emails sent to me & others by the Toshiba support team.

Allow me to explain.

3 weeks ago I was told that a software update would be released for the TG01 within 2 weeks – this has not happened.

When I queried the non-appearance of the update, I was invited to send my phone to you for repair.

When I asked what changes you’d make to the ROM, you told me that you can’t change the content of the ROM due to contractual obligations with Orange (& the other providers)

Now you’re telling me to monitor the web site for an update.

This effectively goes against everything that you have told me.

If you’re not authorized to make changes to the ROM, then what exactly can you offer?

When precisely might I expect to get a software update from you?

In the last month I have had emails from Richard & Carola.

Your emails have been professional, courteous & relatively prompt. I have no problems with this aspect of your service.

However, the fact that everything I’ve been told has been untrue, the fact that the things I was promised have not materialized has left me feeling very disappointed & frustrated.

I want to escalate the problems I am having with you.

Please provide me with contact details for your manager, so that I can take this further.

Regards

Adam

Guest adzman808
P.S. I believe the reason this ROM works, is that it has an updated version of the radio stack, as some mentioned in other threads.

do you know what version the radio stack is on the italian ROM?

cheers

Guest pipi52
there's nothing on the tosh site yet....

i've waited 4 months - I can wait another 4 days...hopefully the fix is just around the corner.....come on toshiba...

Guest Chriss29

cheers

Sure, the Radio in the Italian rom is version 5001.0300.68. I think it differs by one digit from the other roms which have Radio ver. 5001.0300.67.

Edited by Chriss29

Guest adzman808

cheers Chriss29 :-)

there's a guy on ebay offering to debrand the TG01 (for £13 incl P+P but you have to post to device him = item #220559310083)

i THINK (the ever helpful & knowledgable) Kevin White has been in contact with him..

I asked him (the ebay guy - not Kevin) the ROM/Radio versions

& guess what?

Its got 50001.0800.68 and software version: 5005.0800.68 SP-00*

this is the italian ROM, no?

I will ask him about the language...

i must say i'm tempted...

ok £13 & no phone for 3 days, but no branding & the ROM/Radio that actually works....

very tempting....

*for comparision purposes my device is official 6.5 release, bought 27/12/09

SW = 5005.0001.67 / Rad = 5001.0001.67

Guest Chriss29

there's a guy on ebay offering to debrand the TG01 (for £13 incl P+P but you have to post to device him = item #220559310083)

i THINK (the ever helpful & knowledgable) Kevin White has been in contact with him..

I asked him (the ebay guy - not Kevin) the ROM/Radio versions

& guess what?

Its got 50001.0800.68 and software version: 5005.0800.68 SP-00*

this is the italian ROM, no?

I will ask him about the language...

i must say i'm tempted...

ok £13 & no phone for 3 days, but no branding & the ROM/Radio that actually works....

very tempting....

*for comparision purposes my device is official 6.5 release, bought 27/12/09

SW = 5005.0001.67 / Rad = 5001.0001.67

Hey Adam, :) ,

You know, that is very interesting. It means it must be the Italian ROM or at least the Italian Radio Part. I have heard there may be such a thing as a translation pack for a rom. I am not exactly sure how that works but the end result is you get a rom translated into another language. Is it possible this guy may have the Italian Rom translated to English? that would be pretty nice.... Just a thought.... Take care, Cris

P.S. I can see how you are tempted to send your phone in, ohhh well, 3 days without the phone is not so bad. But for me in the USA it would be longer :P

What makes taking this decision even more difficult is that Toshiba may come up with the fix right after you send in your phone.... ;)

Edited by Chriss29

Guest adzman808
What makes taking this decision even more difficult is that Toshiba may come up with the fix right after you send in your phone.... :)

you know that... in fact i reckon if i wait 1 yr to go for the ebay thing then 1 yr & 1 day from now Tosh will release an update

if i wait a week, then 1 week & 1 day from now Tosh will release an update !!

PS i asked about the 'ebay ROM' & it's language & i received this reply =

Hi it's original Toshiba firmware in English languages your unlocking code will stay the same infact debranding will not effect the unlocking

Guest mom4751

cheers

Hi,

now i understand why i have never noticed the sound quality issues of this thread :)

My radio version is 5001.0300.68

Generally don't expect a miracle from this upgrade: with my radio stack the TG01 works but there is no challenge if compared to the Omnia II audio (speaker undersized?)

Guest Lobothos
Hi,

now i understand why i have never noticed the sound quality issues of this thread :)

My radio version is 5001.0300.68

Generally don't expect a miracle from this upgrade: with my radio stack the TG01 works but there is no challenge if compared to the Omnia II audio (speaker undersized?)

well, we don't expect a miracle... we just want to be able to have a normal conversation !

Guest adzman808

i think some would say that the earlier ROM works, but is no comparision compared to 2 water dispenser cups attached to one another by string :))

out of curiosity - which ROM do you have?

cheers

Guest two-litres
you know that... in fact i reckon if i wait 1 yr to go for the ebay thing then 1 yr & 1 day from now Tosh will release an update

if i wait a week, then 1 week & 1 day from now Tosh will release an update !!

Well, why dont you do us all a favour and get yours sent off... :)

Guest kevinpwhite

Hi Adam,

Yes that was the same chap. I didn't ask specifically about the ROM/Radio numbers, but interesting now you have obtained that detail. From what he said previously I understood that this is a 'proper' Toshiba ROM in English - so I don't think is an Italian one which has been reworked. Possibly a pre-production vanilla effort (such as we saw in all the pre-launch photos/videos) and to which they then added in the different operator branding gunk. Be good if someone could unravel definitively !

I've just checked both my TG01s and they are identical CE OS 5.2.21840 (Build 21840.5.0.60), Software Version 5005.0001.67 and Radio 5001.0001.67.

I don't use the voice capability extensively, but I really don't feel I have a major problem in that area (with either device); I can chat with people and hear them OK and have had no complaints from the other end. Also works absolutely fine hands free paired with the car system over BT. I'm using BT Mobile (ie. in effect Vodafone); my reading of the situation is that could well be certain neworks which are a lot worse than others, possibly compounded by some batches of phones perhaps with particular firmware builds. Might be worth a new thread to ask folk to identify the build and Operator then follow up with a poll to try and correlate between these ?

BTW - thank you for the kind comments earlier :)

Regards,

Kevin

Edited by kevinpwhite

Guest gavinhow

Just rang orange. I said TG01 to the advisor and they pratically offered a replacement immediately. hahaha

Did i hear that after 3 replacements they have to give you a different phone?

:)

Hope So ;)

Edited by gavinhow

Guest DunkDream

Update is available.

(At least for TG01 UK)

old version:

TG01WP_5005000167.tsw

new version:

TG01WP_5005000176.tsw

I will try it now.

Guest Lobothos
Update is available.

(At least for TG01 UK)

old version:

TG01WP_5005000167.tsw

new version:

TG01WP_5005000176.tsw

I will try it now.

Where did you find it ? I've just checked Tosh' website and saw nothing ...

Guest two-litres
Where did you find it ? I've just checked Tosh' website and saw nothing ...

the one on the website is now

TG01WP_5005000176.tsw, but it was last modified 26/01/10, so it cant be that new. although newer than the 167 that i put on my phone a few weeks ago.

Think i'l give this one a bash.

Guest DunkDream

You need to download the file. They did not write news on there site. Download it and extract it and you'll see the new build in there.

Guest Lobothos
You need to download the file. They did not write news on there site. Download it and extract it and you'll see the new build in there.

I am sorry, but can you please give the link ?

I go here and can not find anything: Toshiba

Guest DunkDream
the one on the website is now

TG01WP_5005000176.tsw, but it was last modified 26/01/10, so it cant be that new. although newer than the 167 that i put on my phone a few weeks ago.

Think i'l give this one a bash.

But only a few days before I downloaded the same file and it was

TG01WP_5005000167.tsw

So I'm sure that this was only released today.

But I'll flash it and than I'll see what we have.