Android 2.1 will be released within the next fortnight

Guest robot1000

Guest Evil Disco Guy

Resurrecting this thread from page two. Has any further news been heard from either T-Mobile or Huawei yet? I'm enjoying playing with the early beta release but I'm looking more forward to seeing a completed official build. We're nearly halfway through the month now with no extra news at all.

Guest Azurren
Resurrecting this thread from page two. Has any further news been heard from either T-Mobile or Huawei yet? I'm enjoying playing with the early beta release but I'm looking more forward to seeing a completed official build. We're nearly halfway through the month now with no extra news at all.

Judging by that beta leak a lot more work is needed to bring that rom upto spec.

I wouldn't rush them :)

Guest Stevos
Judging by that beta leak a lot more work is needed to bring that rom upto spec.

I wouldn't rush them :)

Well, since we don't know the source of the leak or when it was obtained, it's difficult to say - it might be a month old internal code, or intended for another purpose, or maybe even an employee's own out-of work hacking. Or it might reflect the current state of the Huawei development ROM.

Without trying to expose the source of the leak, perhaps something can be gleaned from the kernel build date? or has that been modified during the mod work by BigBear and Paul?

Guest Azurren
Well, since we don't know the source of the leak or when it was obtained, it's difficult to say - it might be a month old internal code, or intended for another purpose, or maybe even an employee's own out-of work hacking. Or it might reflect the current state of the Huawei development ROM.

Without trying to expose the source of the leak, perhaps something can be gleaned from the kernel build date? or has that been modified during the mod work by BigBear and Paul?

Bobo did post the build date somewhere.. On the first thread with the pulse mini rom probably.. If memory serves it was the 10th of April. Don't hold me to that I only just scimmed over that post. I don't even know how/why I remembered that :)

Edited by Azurren

Guest jmmL
Bobo did post the build date somewhere.. On the first thread with the pulse mini rom probably.. If memory serves it was the 10th of April. Don't hold me to that I only just scimmed over that post. I don't even know how/why I remembered that :)

Yeah, I think he said that was the fastboot build date.

Guest Stevos

So if that date's right, it *could* be up to a month old, potentially meaning their current development version has more work done.

The partial hardware support (vibrate missing), and the fact that it needed to be symlinked to the SD card to fit properly (ie designed for a device with more memory) makes me wonder whether it's a partially completed internal port from their pulse-mini ROM.

Of course I know nothing about it, so I'm probably talking out of my hat.

Guest Josh04

The hardware and symlinking are addressed by parts of the official update we can't recreate, at least not without breaking several drivers trying. I'd say the instabilities present are largely our mods.

EDIT: Wrote this at night, it makes no sense. What I was saying is that the things we have broken and the things we've used dirty hacks to fix, like symlinking to /data, won't be necessary with the real update.

Edited by Josh04

Guest BigBearMDC

Build Date (fastboot mode): 19th April 2010

So not that old ... one month isn't bad, since I have it installed it now for nearly 2 weeks :)

Guest Speckles
Isn't it kind of the middle of may now? ;)
They are not going to release unstable, buggy OSs. If you want to install such an OS, its already available on this forum :)

Guest thisweb

The Pulse is now back on shelves again in T-mob stores alongside the pulse mini, surely a 2.1 version is mandatory! Theres gonna be a lot of new buyers hunting around for this rom over the next few weeks when they realise the pulse doesn't have the 2.1 Android seen on the smaller but much cheaper pulse mini! (which of course no T-Mob rep will bother to explain). But if this beta is the state of it just 4 weeks ago, its not looking good waiting for them. However, i can only assume Huwaei must have a stock rom ready now, I bet most of the bugs have been brought in with the heavy (and terrible) t-mob branding. We need a leak from Huwaei.

I guess my question is who does the T-mob branding on the rom?

Edited by thisweb

Guest McSpoon
I guess my question is who does the T-mob branding on the rom?

It's purely speculation but my guess is that T-Mobile has paid Huawei to produce a branded Android 2.1 rom. And since T-Mobile provide the customer support they will be testing it and pressuring Huawei to fix all bugs until T-Mobile are satisfied they can release it to their customers. Otherwise Huawei would have chucked out an unstable version months ago.

Guest thisweb
It's purely speculation but my guess is that T-Mobile has paid Huawei to produce a branded Android 2.1 rom. And since T-Mobile provide the customer support they will be testing it and pressuring Huawei to fix all bugs until T-Mobile are satisfied they can release it to their customers. Otherwise Huawei would have chucked out an unstable version months ago.

I guess you're right. I just hope the testers are programmers not merchandisers/buyers. There must be some tech collaboration to disuss the universal branding specs, webnwalk etc.

Guest Totyasrác
The hardware and symlinking are addressed by parts of the official update we can't recreate, at least not without breaking several drivers trying. I'd say the instabilities present are largely our mods.

EDIT: Wrote this at night, it makes no sense. What I was saying is that the things we have broken and the things we've used dirty hacks to fix, like symlinking to /data, won't be necessary with the real update.

I guess you have a point there.

(I hope someone can tell wheter or not the 'real' update (installed like dec. update - /dload folder stuff) is as unstable/buggy as the ones we can try via flashing a zip file. I guess not. )

Guest Azurren
Can we now get flash 10.1 on our android 2.1 pulses. Or are there other dependencies required?

Flash comes with 2.2 as standard. However I believe adobe is releasing a public ?beta? that requires 2.1

However that doesn't mean the pulse will ever be able to run it.. Only time will tell :)

yeh i guess that would be the next question when 2.1 is released, when can we get 2.2! It does have native usb tethering too which something I want to try out at work.

Guest Epic-Emodude
yeh i guess that would be the next question when 2.1 is released, when can we get 2.2! It does have native usb tethering too which something I want to try out at work.

Havent google decieded that as of 2.2 updates will be released by the market so that everyone can get them no matter what phone they have and wont have to wait for manufacturers to make them?

Havent google decieded that as of 2.2 updates will be released by the market so that everyone can get them no matter what phone they have and wont have to wait for manufacturers to make them?

What, is that even possible?

If it is, it's a thing of beauty. :)

What is your source on this?

Guest MikeRame

Where did you read that?

Guest gusthy

Actually pulse w stock or mcr cupcake supports tethering

Guest DanXo
Maybe Huawei is waiting for Android 3.0 :)

^^ LOL.... XD That can be.... or they will make a custom OS only for pulse so we can call aliens with our phones... XD