Holy crap 6.5.3 is not 6.5k color!

Guest teamkillexpert

Guest teamkillexpert

I think it's 256k or whatever, it's much more. Now pictures with large gradients looks MUCH better. but if you're so picky you can still spot the difference , but it requires you to have a long and low contrast gradient to see it.

Just like the new splash screen. man I don't know what are the MS guys thinking, they always have their splash screen set up so that you can clearly see the color disadvantages.

Guest teamkillexpert
You 're right. WM 6.5.3 has 64k(65536) color, not 6.5k

:())

no seriously, it's not whatever 6.5 was. it's significantly more.

post-668376-1267779872_thumb.png

Edited by teamkillexpert

Guest Arda Yilmaz
no seriously, it's not whatever 6.5 was. it's significantly more.

You do realise that grain differences cannot be seen on computers as they already have 16M colour. Screenshots don't capture screen grain rates.

Guest teamkillexpert
You do realise that grain differences cannot be seen on computers as they already have 16M colour. Screenshots don't capture screen grain rates.

maybe you should look at the picture before replying?

Guest FerdiBorbon

very very interesting, i have an eye for these thing ... i did remember flashing to 6.5.3 before and for some reason i was asking my self why some pictures look cleaner, then i flashed back to 6.1 without having the chance to analyze...

THANKyou for confirming :(

so does that mean 6.5.5 is 16m?

Guest teamkillexpert

There is only one way to "overcome" color restrictions, it's what you use with GIF images, it's called dithering. It's an attempt to simulate colors by mixing ones you have. but even this does not seem to be enough to give what 6.5.3 gives.

here I have a test screen for the use of the experiments:

It's a white to black gradient, followed by 3 primaries to black gradient, followed by a black to white 32 step scale.

because for 65535 colors that the older windows mobile uses, there are 32 reds, 64 greens and 32 blues. this scale can tell us how many colors there are of each primary, if there are few enough to distinguish.

you must enlarge to see the true colors

post-668376-1267810319_thumb.png

as you can see there is practically no result, none of the primaries can be distinguished to a specific number of colors, it looks almost exactly like the original 16m except for a minor gamma difference.

post-668376-1267811430_thumb.png

in case this is what I said, dithering. I also made 2 gradients that are garenteed to be 32 and 64 colors, but with dithering. they both look worse than the 6.5.3.

post-668376-1267810969_thumb.jpgpost-668376-1267810975_thumb.jpg

but here is the interesting stuff, if you zoom in you can see that the image is actually dithered. and we have the ultimate weapon to determine the number of colors present, it's the color levels, you can count how many lines there are to know how many colors there are. the numbers turns out to be, 32*64*32= 65536

post-668376-1267811152_thumb.png

but it seems 6.5.3 is only able to do this for certain applications, not everywhere. the titanium home does not have this feature for example, there will still be bands of color.

Edited by teamkillexpert

Guest dwallersv
6.5.3 do support only 65k colors but apparently microsoft did something to make it look better. Something similar exists with the htc hd2, where the gradients look better than any other phone with 6.5.3

Dithering?

EDIT: never mind... saw the rest of the posts in the thread, so I'm not adding anything here...

Edited by dwallersv

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest FerdiBorbon

can some one please confirm that movies played on touchplayer is also benefited by the 6.5.3 colour improvement..

or is it only pictures?

@teamkillexpert : also what firmware were you using at time of your post?

Edited by FerdiBorbon