3G black / white status icon. What do they mean?

Hi,

I've noticed that from time to time the 3G (square) icon at the top goes white solid to "black" (or empty, if you'd like). What does this exactly mean?, since I didn't find anything about it here nor in the user guide.

Thanks

Guest AndrewTan

When in black (actually it is empty) - means they is no data package usage. (no download / upload process)

When in white - means the data package is running, and you are paying $$ as they is something download / upload at background or you are surfing internet.

Thanks for your answer Andrew but, are you really sure? 99.99% of the time I have the white square and I'm not transmitting anything, neither did I paid a huge amount of money as it should have been if it actually worked as you said.

Maybe you meant that when the square is white and the meter at the right of it has the 3G legend also, that's when it's transmitting (that's what I think also), but then, why 1 in 1000 times the 3G square goes empty out of nothing and for 1 or 2 seconds?

It's really a random icon that doesn't seem to have a clear and simple explanation <_<

Guest tacchan23

On my phone user manual they say:

Black background: UMTS network available

White background: UMTS network available (data call unavailable)