Bounty for accelerated OpenGL drivers? Good idea!

Guest dwallersv

ED2O9 suggested an intriguing way to get a good accelerated OpenGL library implemented in this thread:

As for the OpenGL drivers, I don't think a petition or any amount of complaining will make a bit of difference. Personally, I think it would make more sense for everyone interested to pledge money to go into a "bounty" to the first developer who can write drivers that allow the Omnia 2 to hit a certain benchmark. There are lots of skilled developers out there, and money talks.

I really like this idea. As he says in his post, Samsung is unlikely to pay any attention to our petition (as noble an effort that it is, that I enthusiastically support). Based on Samsung's history, I'm not too optimisitc.

So, this "bounty" idea seems quite interesting. I'd add that whatever "idea" is put together for this, if it goes anywhere, would also include not only the bounty, but a modest fee to purchase the driver, to support on-going support.

Ginkage and other smartypants, would you be interested in such a proposal? What's you price?

Guest dwallersv
I give 50$ if someone port Sense 2.5 to Omnia II, fast and bugless as in HD2...

Thaks for the generous offer, but I don't think tying this to porting some other application as well is a winning strategy. If this were going to be included, how to say no to others that want their favorite application ported/tuned also? It would get out of control, and destroy the fundamental purpose of the bounty -- a good, working OpenGL lib, bringing parity with the HTC and other graphics-friendly devices (for the most part) for a wide range of apps that already run fine on the O2.

So, I think everyone should look at this proposal strictly in the narrow case of just the OGL libs, and decide to participate on that basis.

Me? I'm in for a President Grant if this actually gets off the ground.

Guest teamkillexpert

problem 1: what programs actrually use Open GL? let's see, HTC homescreens, HTC games, HTC ......... oh my...

problem 2: alright now that my Omnia II uses OpenGL with 100% efficiency, but wait my RSS reader still laggs at 3FPS, my SMS still runs at 5FPS and my Photos still runs at 10FPS. I better replace ALL of them with HTC softwares.

problem 3: whoo now I can play Asphalt HD and NFS Undercover at max detail at 60FPS, what else?

Edited by teamkillexpert

Guest ED2O9

Thanks for taking the time to add your accurate and insightful comments. I must have missed the part where you suggested a better solution.

Now, where's that sarcasm key hidden on my Swype keyboard?

Guest teamkillexpert

I'm sorry I just like to point out the facts. I didn't say it wouldn't be nice to have a proper driver, but don't expect it to magically make your Omnia II a multitasking iPhone with buffed hardwares.

what it will do is run Sense 2.5 smoothly, so that you can smoothly run into problems like noise in music playback and non-functional photo albulm, and more registry editing just to show the weather or whatever.

oh and incase you didn't know, it's not easy to make anything work as well as you are expecting, that is why not all phones are as great as the iPhone. face the fact that even Samsung has pros working on their phones, paied by the company at like $50,000+

unless you find a genius willing to do this for you, I don't whink you can get much from like $50.

Edited by teamkillexpert

Guest dwallersv
I'm sorry I just like to point out the facts. I didn't say it wouldn't be nice to have a proper driver, but don't expect it to magically make your Omnia II a multitasking iPhone with buffed hardwares.

what it will do is run Sense 2.5 smoothly, so that you can smoothly run into problems like noise in music playback and non-functional photo albulm, and more registry editing just to show the weather or whatever.

The only "fact" in evidence is that this is obviously not for you, which is fine. Please do the rest of us a favor, who find value in this project, and refrain from throwing more FUD into this thread.

Guest teamkillexpert
The only "fact" in evidence is that this is obviously not for you, which is fine. Please do the rest of us a favor, who find value in this project, and refrain from throwing more FUD into this thread.

if, someone is willing and able to do this, I don't think he will care what I said. and he probably would agree with me that such project is more about expressing your selves than practical use, which is fine.

Guest jebise

I'm sure most omnia users want opengl drivers lets get this bounty started. Someone open a paypal account and PM chainfire for this project.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest packforkids

I will pledge $150.00 to wards prize money for anyone who can develop a better, faster, and stable Open GL drivers for samsung sch-i920 or compatible device.

While $150.00 does not seem like much given the time and expertize involved with such project, but this amount added to any other pledges can accumulate to a sizable prize.

Lastly, give me a way to deposit the money into a reserved account until the winner is chosen.

Guest Rapid81

Any news in this? Anybody talked to Ginkane? I want a proper OpenGL ES driver! Pleease! ;)

I'm willing to pay for this, just somebody get it done!

Guest Snow02
Any news in this? Anybody talked to Ginkage? I want a proper OpenGL ES driver! Pleease! ;)

I'm willing to pay for this, just somebody get it done!

Fixed. And he already has an improved library out. Just looking for something more complete/improved than that?

Edited by Snow02

Guest Rapid81
Fixed. And he already has an improved library out. Just looking for something more complete/improved than that?

And where is that improved library? Because I don't found newer than 23/02/2010, and that version makes 5-6 FPS.

check this thread, some guy is making a universal opengl driver. He working on the omnia as well, he just has to get a opengl 1.0 made.

He's not making any OpenGL ES driver. He's making an OpenGL ES demo engine. ;)

Edited by Rapid81