How to disable FM Radio driver

Guest velis74

Considering how little free RAM this phone has out of the box and how much RAM FM Radio driver takes (I read 64MB somewhere), I was considering getting rid of the mentioned driver, especially since the stupid radio app only works if you have the headset connected and no bluetooth handsfree connection (which pretty much rules out all possible usage scenarios for me).

I would like this thread to ultimately present a working solution, but untill then, I'd be more than happy with suggestions, maybe even off topic about how one can gain some more RAM. Please don't post something like: "Get rid of TouchWiz and use Windows default". This is too easy and probably tested by just about anyone who tried to gain more RAM. Besides, not everyone wants to get rid of his / her favourite shell.

Please note also that various cooked ROM variants usually remove many apps one might want. Without appropriate downloads to reinstall such apps, those ROMs are next to useless to anyone who wants to use just THAT particular app, especially if the app itself is payable.

My particular phone has a bit over 40MB free after fresh boot and a bit over 20MB after a few days usage. I have no idea what ROM version that is, but it has SunnySoft interwrite keyboard (which I don't see mentioned very often) and Slovenian language (very rare in cooked ROMs)

Since this means that apps keep getting terminated, especially media player which I WANT to be running in the background, I naturally want more free RAM.

Killing FM Radio driver seems to be the obvious way to go for me since it should free LOTS of RAM with just one side effect - inability to play FM Radio.

So this is what was tried to gain the much desired 64MB FM radio driver takes:

1) HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\FMRadio\Dll - Change value to a non-existent DLL. This has no effect whatsoever on free RAM.

I will update this post with any good advice on freeing RAM.

Guest atifarkas

Most of drivers using the "reserved memory", the address is hardcoded. So if you want to remove some driver, than you have to arrange all others waht you want to use. Than you have to set in the kernel the new "reserved memory" addresses. This is not easy!

Guest skoda60
Considering how little free RAM this phone has out of the box and how much RAM FM Radio driver takes (I read 64MB somewhere), I was considering getting rid of the mentioned driver, especially since the stupid radio app only works if you have the headset connected and no bluetooth handsfree connection (which pretty much rules out all possible usage scenarios for me).

I would like this thread to ultimately present a working solution, but untill then, I'd be more than happy with suggestions, maybe even off topic about how one can gain some more RAM. Please don't post something like: "Get rid of TouchWiz and use Windows default". This is too easy and probably tested by just about anyone who tried to gain more RAM. Besides, not everyone wants to get rid of his / her favourite shell.

Please note also that various cooked ROM variants usually remove many apps one might want. Without appropriate downloads to reinstall such apps, those ROMs are next to useless to anyone who wants to use just THAT particular app, especially if the app itself is payable.

My particular phone has a bit over 40MB free after fresh boot and a bit over 20MB after a few days usage. I have no idea what ROM version that is, but it has SunnySoft interwrite keyboard (which I don't see mentioned very often) and Slovenian language (very rare in cooked ROMs)

Since this means that apps keep getting terminated, especially media player which I WANT to be running in the background, I naturally want more free RAM.

Killing FM Radio driver seems to be the obvious way to go for me since it should free LOTS of RAM with just one side effect - inability to play FM Radio.

So this is what was tried to gain the much desired 64MB FM radio driver takes:

1) HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\FMRadio\Dll - Change value to a non-existent DLL. This has no effect whatsoever on free RAM.

I will update this post with any good advice on freeing RAM.

Same as you but after applying this patch(AutoClosePatch 1.1 released). I enjoy my Omnia2. Try it yourself. Download from here: http://www.chainfire.eu/.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Snow02

Someone misunderstood. It's not the FM radio that has the memory allocated. It is the phone radio, ie the cellular radio. Close thread?

Guest babyjosef17

OIC. Thanks for the info.

Then yeah. Even if you get to manage to switch that off, then you will have a samsung ipod. not a phone lol.

Close thread?

Guest surgex
OIC. Thanks for the info.

Then yeah. Even if you get to manage to switch that off, then you will have a samsung ipod. not a phone lol.

Close thread?

LMAO this thread is fail.