What are the Known Issues/Bugs of Omnia II?

Guest Rommie2k6

Hi everyone,

I am a proud owner of the Omnia I, and am considering upgrading to the Omnia II. Was hoping that existing Omnia II users could chip in their opinion/comments on the known issues/bugs of Omnia II.

So far I've read quite alot of about the Omnia II and identified a few issues

Slow/Laggy Phone

One of the key reasons that I purchased my Omnia I was because it was lightning fast. The SPB graphics benchmark is 5500+, in comparison to the Omnia II that is only 2300+. It seems that even with a faster 800Mhz CPU and dedicated graphics processor, the Omnia II still cannot outperform the Omnia I. I've seen vids that showed how the TouchWiz 2 really lagged badly... and so my question is... is the lag due to software issues? I intend to run SPB Mobile Shell and deactivate/remove all the Samsung fluff. Will it be more responsive?

Lousy Multitasking

The phone has very little available RAM despite its touted specs of 256MB RAM. I've read that almost all users who upgraded to WM 6.5 found that the OS autocloses software (when the free RAM falls to 30MB) which makes it terrible at multitasking. If I stick to WM 6.1 only, will I have any such problems? I'm a heavy multitasker btw.

Missing "My Storage"

I've read a number of accounts of how the internal memory "My Storage" just disappears without a trace, and often it requires a trip down to the service center to get it fixed. Given that this is a common problem, it may hint at some kind of systematic flaw in one of the components of the phone. Any comments on this?

No support/drivers for Open GL 1.0

What does this means in term of graphics performance? Is this related in anyway to the laggy performance of the phone?

Other Issues

Any other known issues about the Omnia II that I might have missed out?

Many thanks to all Omnia II users who can help clarify my thoughts. :)

Edited by Rommie2k6

Guest jebise
Hi everyone,

I am a proud owner of the Omnia I, and am considering upgrading to the Omnia II. Was hoping that existing Omnia II users could chip in their opinion/comments on the known issues/bugs of Omnia II.

Slow/Laggy Phone

One of the key reasons that I purchased my Omnia I was because it was lightning fast. The SPB graphics benchmark is 5500+, in comparison to the Omnia II that is only 2300+. It seems that even with a faster 800Mhz CPU and dedicated graphics processor, the Omnia II still cannot outperform the Omnia I. I've seen vids that showed how the TouchWiz 2 really lagged badly... and so my question is... is the lag due to software issues? I intend to run SPB Mobile Shell and deactivate/remove all the Samsung fluff. Will it be more responsive?

Lousy Multitasking

The phone has very little available RAM despite its touted specs of 256MB RAM. I've read that almost all users who upgraded to WM 6.5 found that the OS autocloses software (when the free RAM falls to 30MB) which makes it terrible at multitasking. If I stick to WM 6.1 only, will I have any such problems? I'm a heavy multitasker btw.

Missing "My Storage"

I've read a number of accounts of how the internal memory "My Storage" just disappears without a trace, and often it requires a trip down to the service center to get it fixed. Given that this is a common problem, it may hint at some kind of systematic flaw in one of the components of the phone. Any comments on this?

What does this means in term of graphics performance? Is this related in anyway to the laggy performance of the phone?

Other Issues

Slow/Laggy Phone

The phone gets laggy at times, but its not that bad. Just a flashing custom light ROM fixes most of the issues. Is lags a bit, I hate samsung for there poor software. The software that is running on our phones was designed for winmo 6.1 so they just did a terrible job.

I'm still hoping that they continue to support the phone and fix the issues.

Lousy Multitasking

i dunno about that for me its good enough, only time it closes my apps is when i use opera other then that i can have music playing and can play games etc.

Missing "My Storage"

Yes i have read that as well, it has not happened to me (knock on wood) but it seems only happens when users try to install some HTC apps.

This a major problem lack of openGL drivers. Which means crappy support for different UI, games and apps that run on openGL. Again it's a software thing that can be easily fixed if samsung choose.

Other Issues

Can't really complain, the phone works dose its job and is the best for the money. Well the best phone you can buy here in canada. This phone is good if you know windows mobile and know how to tweak it. I will say this is my first winmo phone but maybe not my last (haven't really tried android yet) But it will be my last samsung product. Not because the phone is bad as it hardware specs was one of the reasons i bought the phone, hoping i can either live with the flaws (which i can), but because of the lack of support for the phone. WP7 came out they they just forgot about us ARG i hate companies that release a product thinking they can fix the flaws with software updates and just drop the entire project.

The phone is so customizable that i can overlook the flaws. It all comes down to if you know winmo, if you do then you can tweak the hell out of it and get a great working phone. If you don't then start reading. This is my first winmo phone so i'm still learning but i know windows and have tweaked it just to my liking. Like i said 99.9% of the issues with this phone is software, and the fact that the original ROM comes pre loaded with crap you will NEVER use dose not help the phone. Flashing the with a lite ROM help out a lot and of cource disabling crappy touchwiz dose too.

Edited by jebise

Guest Mrcot

Omnia II like Omnia I (i had it before) are very good and performance devices.

Both anyway suffer from Samsung software UI which use lots of ram and often made phone laggy.

Both have Gps hardware or software lazy with some program (TOMTOM)

I surely can suggest to buy Omnia II if you are ready to tweek and use custom rom than you can get one of best WM phone available; surely the best in term of

price/benefit

Compared to omnia I you have:

Much better touch experience

Amoled display (is much much better in every condition of use) and larger display

Actually we need a better driver software for openGl even if with some user effort we can play well with lots of openGl software

Guest msra6la2
Hi everyone,

Slow/Laggy Phone

Lousy Multitasking

Missing "My Storage"

Other Issues

a) New JC2 stock rom with Touchwiz 2.0 and WidgetPlus enabled hardly ever lags (in comparison to the shitty IL2 rom that I used to use) and it runs just as smooth as WM6.1 stock roms, looks like Samsung has finally optimised Touchwiz 2.0 for WM6.5. Now using FPU enabler and S3C6410 Overclocking tool (overclocked the CPU to 950mhz, maxium speed for ARM11 Samsung ARMv6 S3C64x0 CPUs is 1Ghz) everything responds at lightning speed.

;) WM6.1 also has the same problem (you get 10mb more free ram at start-up: 76mb vs 66mb) when it drops below 30 things start auto-closing, which is why you install Chainfire Autoclose patch. It pushes down the limit to 20mb of ram (and 10mb for ultra Autoclose patch). It's a problem for Omnia as well, so don't brag too much about it

c) I used to own an Omnia i-900 and I had the same problem with missing "my storage" and I ended up sending it back for a repair, so it's not just an O2 problem. In fact, I havent had this issue at all

d) it supports 1.0 but not 2.0 I think; the games that I have installed (Assassin Creeds II, Asphalt4 HD, Crayon Physics Deluxe, Krazy Kart, Dice deluxe) all work very smoothly with and without FPU enabled (with FPU enabler on, games run really snappy, crisp and quick. On the other hand, with FPU switched off, games load slowly but do not lag, the only exception is Crayon Physics which lags without FPU enabler turned on)

e) the only real issue I have with the phone, as mentioned above, is the RAM issue. compared with all the other WM devices with 256MB ram (eg. Acer NeoTouch S200, HTC Touch2), the Omnia II has reserved wayyy too much ram (117mb reserved in O2, 56mb reserved in Neotouch, 86mb reserved in Touch2) which means that the device only has 139 mb of acessible ram at start-up. Even changing pagepool size to 6mb, ram problem still persists (PS. O2 official pagepool size is 20mb and in the case of Neotouch/Touch 2, pagepool size is also pre-set at 20mb but they still have less reserved ram and more acessible ram). I hope they can do something about it! PS Although ram is pretty apalling, I have to say the new stock rom actually keeps ram consistently at 35mb-43mb if I run cleanRAM once a day

Edited by msra6la2

Guest kdkinc

Hi:

I enjoy my omnia2 and have not experienced much of what you have pointed out.

You never stated which version of omnia 2...there are 2 or 3 version I think I have the VZW i920 omnia 2.

You mentioned touch wiz IMHO touch wiz bites, widgets bites, original bites. ;) :P

first thing you do (after a week of playing ) is FLASH :)

I had the i910 was good but the o2 is better...

;) :P

Guest Vostradamus

Premise: I come from an Omnia I too, these are my impressions:

slow-laggy phone: didn't notice anything similar... everything I'm running on my O2 I was running on O1 too, and it seems to be running the same way. I'm on spb mobile shell, only "bad" thing I can report is that 3d carousel does not run that well... but it's not that big of in issue to me, as the carousel is completely useless lol (disabled that 3d thing at once after enabling it just to take a look at it 'cause I was curious)

lousy multitasking: didn't have a chance to notice this as I'm not a heavy multitasker, but from what I've read even the users having such issue can 99% "solve" it with a good fix released on this board.... (I notice most of them were having this problem while using opera, which is definitely TOO hungry for ram)

missing my storage: didn't have a similar problem so far (hopefully not in future too), sounds like it could be related to installations of some particular software, so just be careful and gather every possible info before installing anything (good thing to do in every case, by the way)

no support-driver for open gl 1.0: if I'm not mistaken, there should be a nice driver made by gingake somewhere on this forum.

other issues: none found so far... I'm running everything I was running on the O2, it's either the same or better (this on a stock rom of an italian operator, so not even a custom "light" rom, which maybe could even improve things)

EDIT: forgot one thing: there's a difference with the O1: now I can voice dial from my bt headset, which I could NOT do on my O1 :) (I910 had that fixed, but mine was I900....)

Edited by Vostradamus

Guest Rommie2k6

Thanks for the input :)

It's good to know that most of the issues are software related, which means that it can be fixed. I'm referring to the GSM version of Omnia II btw, specifically the i8000 version with 8GB storage.

Guest abdelrahim

Loads of useless applications, Only a single player would be enough for all Audio and Video files, Samsung messaging is a waste of time, Small memory with Loads of Reserved memory BUT still an EXCELLENT PHONE....

Guest msra6la2
Loads of useless applications, Only a single player would be enough for all Audio and Video files, Samsung messaging is a waste of time, Small memory with Loads of Reserved memory BUT still an EXCELLENT PHONE....

Samsung touchwiz meesaging is actually good in my opinion, better than HTC sense messaging

Guest kawgirlval69

I know im opening a big ol can of worms but i have to say it.....

biggest bugs are ...

1. lazy people who dont want to take the time to customize something, but will waste time that they could be fixing the phone with, bitching about their phone in every forum they can find...

2. people who know zero about modding and refuse to read just a small amount of info, that just dive in and change things then bitch because it doesnt work, then blame the crappy phone...

i know people make mistakes...but the people that this post pisses off are the ones that need to take a step back and look in the mirror.... nobody is perfect but there is no excuse for laziness...

please people we love helping each other but read first...dont post a question in a forum and 3 lines down was the answer and that same question almost in verbatim...

then again the people who need to read this probably wont because they dont read they just post...... thanks for the vent time....

Guest insomniak

You say, "I am a proud owner of the Omnia I", then post a list of things that you think are wrong will the Omnia 2, "Omnia II still cannot outperform the Omnia I",....so why don't you stick with the Omnia 1?

Tell us what your reasons for updating are because the answer to this "Any other known issues about the Omnia II that I might have missed out?" is that it's probably not the phone for you and Omnia forums don't need another poster of "This phone is crap because..." type posts, o yes and the answer to this type of post is......because you bought the wrong phone for YOU. So think hard why you are updating and what you expect the new phone to do better, then look at all phones available and then choose, or stick with O1.

Guest Rommie2k6
You say, "I am a proud owner of the Omnia I", then post a list of things that you think are wrong will the Omnia 2, "Omnia II still cannot outperform the Omnia I",....so why don't you stick with the Omnia 1?

Tell us what your reasons for updating are because the answer to this "Any other known issues about the Omnia II that I might have missed out?" is that it's probably not the phone for you and Omnia forums don't need another poster of "This phone is crap because..." type posts, o yes and the answer to this type of post is......because you bought the wrong phone for YOU. So think hard why you are updating and what you expect the new phone to do better, then look at all phones available and then choose, or stick with O1.

I'm trying to determine if there are unfixable issues even with tweaking and custom ROM, in other words hardware design flaws or limitations that are inherent in every phone. Why I am asking is because I have had bad experiences with Windows Mobile phones, specifically HTC devices, e.g.

1st Phone

HTC Universal was a laggard, because the HTC retards decided to stick an Intel Bulverde 500MHz CPU on a VGA screen. No amount of tweaking or cooking would made it speedy, as there was just too many freaking pixels for the CPU to handle. I frequented the XDA forums for over a year flashing in new stuff, tweaking registry, overclocking, etc. Ultimately, it was an issue with slow hardware. Not to mention that the batteries had some kind of systematic failure (the cheapo China cells spoilt quickly as my battery lost 50% of its holding capacity out of blue). Of course HTC refused to acknowledge this problem, and replaced the battery with another one that has the same systematic error. By the time the 2nd battery failed, it was out of warranty. The headsets are also spoilt in a systematic fashion if you raise the volume too high.

2nd Phone

HTC Hermes. Personally, I wouldn't have gone with HTC, but there wasn't a good qwerty phone out there. Admittedly, I had a somewhat better experience than the HTC Universal. Initial sets had an issue of some screen alignment thingy which needed to be sent back for servicing. I purchased it more than a year after its release, and by then I was lucky enough not to get a hardware bugged phone. Unfortunately, the phone decided to die on its 2nd anniversary. This really pissed me off, as I was waiting for Snapdragon phones to appear before replacing it. I swore it was the last time I would purchase a HTC phone and so I went to Omnia I.

Other HTC Phones

In the meantime, I read of countless complaints about HTC Phones. HTC, in their usual smart manner decide to release more and more phones with VGA resolution run by a crippled Qualcomm 400-500Mhz CPU. There were even reports that the Qualcomm 2D/3D drivers were missing (apparently you have to pay separate licensing for the Qualcomm GPU and HTC decided not to pay for it). Consumers got suckered into buying a laggard phone with a half-functional Qualcomm chip. I'm not surprised...

Why I chose Omnia I

Firstly, it is not HTC. That alone is a good enough reason. Secondly, it runs at QVGA resolution with a Intel Monahans 600Mhz Chip. Thirdly, based on the SPB Graphics Index of 5500+, it was one of the fastest phones on the market, probably second only to that ASUS phone that stuck a Intel Tavor 800Mhz Chip with a QVGA screen. I even dumped the qwerty (all my existing phones had it) for speed. And... I was pleasantly surprised. There was no lag. And for the first time, I could use my phone as a Pocket PC. I could open PDF files quickly and pages loaded almost instantaneously.

Why I am chosing Omnia II

Well... again it is the only non-HTC solution that is based on the "next generation" CPU (Snapdragon or better). Also, I really need a larger screen (3.5" or more), but I am unwilling to compromise speed for that (remember HTC universal?) Based on SPB Graphics Index, Omnia II's score of 2300 is the highest out of all "superphones". Most Snapdragon 1GHz CPU phones only get ~2000 score. So my major concerns are:

1) If there is any systematic hardware faults that require constant servicing like most HTC phones.

2) If it will be fast enough for my needs (understandably it will be slower than the Omnia I, but *fast enough* is the keyword).

If I choose to wait, it may mean waiting another half decade for the subsequent generation of CPU to arrive. Remember that from the period of 2003-2008, smartphone technology simply stagnated, and in some sense went backwards with the proliferation of VGA phones in the 2007-2008 period. I was hoping for a Tegra phone (specs say it has good graphics capabilities), but there is nothing on the horizon.

Another reason of why I am considering now is due to the imminent release of Windows Phone 7 this year. I've read about WP7. It sucks. Windows Mobile has dumb down to the iPhone level, introduce fascist "marketplace" to limit what consumers do to their future phones, no cut-and-paste (the big joke I always used to made fun of iPhone adopters), no multitasking (another iPhone joke), etc... So yes, it's basically a dash to get a VGA phone on WM 6.1/6.5 before it is too late!

Comparison of Phones

To summarize, here's my experiences with Windows Mobile Phones:

1st: HTC Universal, Intel 500Mhz CPU (chip released in 2004), VGA screen, SPB Graphics Index of ~300 = Crippled laggard

2nd: HTC Hermes, Samsung 400Mhz CPU (chip released in 2003), QVGA screen, SPB Graphics Index of ~1100 = Acceptable but cannot do heavy 2D graphics (like loading PDF files quickly)

3rd: Samsung Omnia I, Intel 600Mhz CPU (chip released in 2007), QVGA Screen, SPB Graphics Index of ~5500 = Very smooth, no lag, even capable of PDF reading

Edited by Rommie2k6

Guest kdkinc

Kidding aside from my previous post... :P

Why, or have you considered a Android phone .? One of the newer one coming this Summer or fall.

I agree on your WP7 opinion.

I know little about rom's and PNG files etc.,but I know I don't want to be locked down by a Corp totally. :(

:( B)

Guest Rommie2k6
Kidding aside from my previous post... :P

Why, or have you considered a Android phone .? One of the newer one coming this Summer or fall.

I agree on your WP7 opinion.

I know little about rom's and PNG files etc.,but I know I don't want to be locked down by a Corp totally. :(

:( B)

Yes I've seen the new Omnia Galaxy (soon to be released) with 4" AMOLED and 1GHz Samsung CPU with claims even better GPU performance than the 1GHz Snapdragon. Unfortunately, Android as a platform is still too new for me.

Hopefully by the time I am done with Omnia II (I intend to use for 2-3yrs), Android would have matured by then. But I do agree in the long term, if Windows Phone wants to go the iPhone way... I'm not going to follow.

Guest insane73

The biggest issue i have other than the ram issue, is that you cannot see the screen very well in the daytime outside. I mean it is like looking at it through a shower curtain.

Guest kdkinc
Yes I've seen the new Omnia Galaxy (soon to be released) with 4" AMOLED and 1GHz Samsung CPU with claims even better GPU performance than the 1GHz Snapdragon. Unfortunately, Android as a platform is still too new for me.

Hopefully by the time I am done with Omnia II (I intend to use for 2-3yrs), Android would have matured by then. But I do agree in the long term, if Windows Phone wants to go the iPhone way... I'm not going to follow.

I base my Android outlook on where a LOT of great chefs, not all, have gone to. Mainly Blazingwolf & evidence bga55 just to name a couple.

Many have gone few have returned.

All captured by the "ROBOT"

:P :(

Guest silviaccio1
I know im opening a big ol can of worms but i have to say it.....

biggest bugs are ...

1. lazy people who dont want to take the time to customize something, but will waste time that they could be fixing the phone with, bitching about their phone in every forum they can find...

2. people who know zero about modding and refuse to read just a small amount of info, that just dive in and change things then bitch because it doesnt work, then blame the crappy phone...

i know people make mistakes...but the people that this post pisses off are the ones that need to take a step back and look in the mirror.... nobody is perfect but there is no excuse for laziness...

please people we love helping each other but read first...dont post a question in a forum and 3 lines down was the answer and that same question almost in verbatim...

then again the people who need to read this probably wont because they dont read they just post...... thanks for the vent time....

Maybe when you spend 350 euros for a phone it would be reasonable you have not to spend time to use it satisfactorily.

I personally have bought this phone by 1 week and haven't yet started to use it.

Is a week that I'm reading here and there trying to understand how it works and how to make it working!!

Moreover, the samsung cube is used by anyone? I don't thing, if you aren't a masochist. So I need to spend additional time in learning how to cook my personal ROM in order to let this thing go away from my phone (anathema on you, cube!!).