So it has been said the Samsung AMOLED screen isn't 800X480

Guest teamkillexpert

Guest teamkillexpert

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2010/0...r-and-hacks.ars

looking at my i8000, it does look what he described, patterns even on solid color regions. I have failed to find some sort of a lens capable of letting me see the actual structure of the pixel layout, but I think it's the same screen as the Nexus One. (maybe better quality because I have yet to seen any report of dead pixels.)

I don't know what's up with this guy but I can't really see the patterns to fuzziness from a regular viewing distance. To be honest, I kinda like that effect, I'm not really looking forward to an ideal screen that looks like a piece of illuminated paper. At first I thought it's because the screen isn't organized in a rectangular formation and I thought it was made of hexagons for some reason.

Guest teamkillexpert

if you're too lazy to read that.

-the Samsung AMOLED screen has only a red and a green subpixel, OR a blue and a green subpixel. Per pixel, so not RGB in every pixel.

-the red/blue ones are twice as large as the green one, bigger blue pixel reduces wear, which can cause blue to become dimmer over time.

-you can exploit this by making a pattern of grayscale image, in a certain way, that the phone will display it in color because of this layout.

-the effective resolution has been calculated to be 392x653. but if you count those "2/3 pixels" as a single pixel, there are 400X800.

Guest Snow02

Interesting read. But I didn't see the O2 specifically mentioned. And the author states that the specific implementation may vary from phone to phone. As Nouvoyance is owned by Samsung, I have no doubt the Pentile system is utilized due to the aforementioned blue pixel issues. However, the author's primary complaint is centered around blurry text, and the text display on my O2 is nothing short of superb. Perhaps there's a clear-type font issue on the N1?

Thanks for the post.

Guest teamkillexpert
Interesting read. But I didn't see the O2 specifically mentioned. And the author states that the specific implementation may vary from phone to phone. As Nouvoyance is owned by Samsung, I have no doubt the Pentile system is utilized due to the aforementioned blue pixel issues. However, the author's primary complaint is centered around blurry text, and the text display on my O2 is nothing short of superb. Perhaps there's a clear-type font issue on the N1?

Thanks for the post.

I tested his exploits with the grayscale images, they do show color on my Omnia II on 100%. which means they have the same screen.

Guest Ender Psp
I tested his exploits with the grayscale images, they do show color on my Omnia II on 100%. which means they have the same screen.

Care to post a sample image? I was looking under a magnifier glass but still couldn't see what the author describes in the 3G image.

Or anyone, for that matter.

I also have a couple of ideas, I'll check and post it a bit later.

LE: attached the images.

This is a simple black&white checkers grid (one black one white, etc, next line is one white one black etc). Any imperfections should be visible.

post-615753-1269887848_thumb.png

Second is RGB lines (one line red, one green, one blue. after a third, doubled red lines, etc, and after 2 thirds, triple red lines, triple green etc.

post-615753-1269887858_thumb.png

If I get more ideas I'll post. Going to test these first.

Edited by Ender Psp

Guest Ender Psp

I can definitely see colors in this last pic.

In the middle part and the 2 squares on the right show color on my screen. And I have used only 2 colors: black and white.

Guest Ender Psp
http://static.arstechnica.com/03-21-2010/fig6-iiia.png

put this on your phone full screen and you will see the original color. because the pattern is generated to exploit the weakness of one missing primary color.

Well, I might be lucky because except for a very tiny tint of cyan on top of the image, everything else looks grayscale on my I8000.

In the "mixed" photo I uploaded (3rd) there is way more obvious and varied color. And I just used common sense patterns.

I guess the problem on Omnia's amoled screen is not as bad as in others.

Guest babyjosef17

I tired your test.

RGB lines looked normal for me

mixed.png defenitely colors

grid.png on my screen there where no more grids. it was plain grayish color

monalisa Well its not black and white, but It is still not colored. Probobly just like there is some cyan on top and the mona lisa itself is somewhat, like an old portrait.

It actually looks great to be honest. I plan to make it my wallpaper. But since these images are exploits, will it damage my amoled?

Guest Ender Psp
Go to the blog of the author, get the zip file with all the test patterns and you will see that our Omnia 2 has exactly the same screen as the Nexus One, plagued by the same technical solution.

http://www.metalev.org/2010/03/generating-...s-on-nexus.html

Actually yes and no. The effect on the Omnia2 is not that visible as on the nexus, but it is visible.

I have attached the most significant images from his blog. Most relevant is the rainbow.

post-615753-1269938535_thumb.png post-615753-1269938761_thumb.png post-615753-1269938806_thumb.png

post-615753-1269938887_thumb.png post-615753-1269938832_thumb.png

Guest teamkillexpert
Actually yes and no. The effect on the Omnia2 is not that visible as on the nexus, but it is visible.

I have attached the most significant images from his blog. Most relevant is the rainbow.

post-615753-1269938535_thumb.png post-615753-1269938761_thumb.png post-615753-1269938806_thumb.png

post-615753-1269938887_thumb.png post-615753-1269938832_thumb.png

of course they are not "that" visible, because those on his site are simulated result, not the actual N1 screenshot.

Guest teamkillexpert
Well, I might be lucky because except for a very tiny tint of cyan on top of the image, everything else looks grayscale on my I8000.

In the "mixed" photo I uploaded (3rd) there is way more obvious and varied color. And I just used common sense patterns.

I guess the problem on Omnia's amoled screen is not as bad as in others.

that's the way it is, get the real mona lisa painting and see what color it is? it is just a brownish color, it's not vibrant to start with.

the rest of the picture isn't grayscale, they are all kind of brownish.

plus, you can't just have this problem and be not serious, it's impossible. you either have it, or you don't have it.

Edited by teamkillexpert

However, the author's primary complaint is centered around blurry text, and the text display on my O2 is nothing short of superb. Perhaps there's a clear-type font issue on the N1?

Text on the Omnia 2 is not superb. The effective resolution is much less than on an LCD screen, partly because of fewer subpixels, mainly because sub-pixel anti-aliasing (cleartype) only currently works with LCD pixel alignments. Eventually you should get cleartype on OLED screens, but given how slow they were to extend cleartype to rotated screens, this may be a long time.

(Black level, colors, and images, on the other hand, are superb.)

Guest Goodge

I'd just like to confirm that I tested these images on my i8000L and got the colored images discribed in the article. I must say, I didn't notice anything wrong with the sharpness of text on my device...but it is annoying that it's labeled as having the full resolution that it doesn't.

Guest Ender Psp
I'd just like to confirm that I tested these images on my i8000L and got the colored images discribed in the article. I must say, I didn't notice anything wrong with the sharpness of text on my device...but it is annoying that it's labeled as having the full resolution that it doesn't.

Actually, strictly on specs, it does have that resolution. But, the issue is that it does not have the same color depth/palette as an RGB.

That's why the text looks very good actually (as you can see on my mixed.png image).

Everything is perception, and that's why they've done for example jpegs. Most people don't realize how much detail is lost in a conversion to a 50% jpeg, for example.

And it's not fair to compare it to rgb "triplets" since it's not the same technology. It's like comparing apples and bananas. Of course they're fruits and they're good but it's not the same thing. You have to compare the output in normal situations (images, videos). If you obtain the same result visually, I think you can call them even.

Of course that, if you know how a thing is done you can exploit it (pick a lock etc). But normally you wouldn't notice. And that's what they've bet on. And I happen to think they're right. Most people used to say plasma is better than lcd (common misconception since lcd offer more detail but less vivid colors - at least used to :().

And just to be clear, I'm not defending Samsung or anyone else. I'm just stating the facts. Someone has to play devil's advocate :P

They are wrong somewhere though and I agree, it does not offer same result, but very close. Close enough for me (which I happen to like the colors better on my Omnia2 than on my friend's HD2 - both pics and video).

Guest CosminV

basically, we have less display then marketed and less memory then marketed.

can i shout the phone throught a Samsung glass back to their store?