Class 6 MicroSD is overkill?

Guest Mildew

Is there really a difference in speed when you're using a class 2 microSD card versus a class 6 on your Omnia 2? I'm not talking about transfering files between your PC and your Omnia 2. I'm just talking about using the microSD card with your phone.

I'm really new at this so maybe someone could explain. I mainly use my microSD to store and play off it movies, music, and photos.

Class 2 has a transfer rate of 2 MB per second (megabytes).

AVI video files are usually in the range of 1000 kbps to 2000 kbps (kilobytes per second, not megabytes).

High quality MP3 files are usually at 320kbps.

When video recording, I don't think the Omnia 2 is recording at 2 MB per second. It's only 480p resolution.

The only time 2 MB per second isn't enough is taking pictures with your camera. I think each full resolution shot takes up 3 MB.

Another reason for getting the Class 6 is when you like to look at your photos stored inside your microSD card because each photo is around 3 MB.

Any program I install such as Opera Mobile will be on the ROM and not on the card.

What do you guys think? Aside from PC to phone file transfer, camera, and loading photos, is there really an advantage for getting the class 6?

Edited by Mildew

Guest johnchua55

i have both class2 and class6 microSD ...... the difference in performance is not really very noticeable untill you transfer large files. Both suck when transferring a lot of files simultaneusly.

transferrring a 1gb file to both cards would only take maybe a minute or less. But say transferring 500mb map tiles consisting of several thousand tiny files takes forever !!!