Easy peasy DLNA (Connected Home)

Guest dwallersv

I'd seen postings here before spittin' nails at difficulty in getting DLNA -- the Connected Home app on the O2 -- working. Didn't really know specifically what it was, had a general idea that it was some sort of media streaming client/server technology over a private home LAN. Given the problems people seemed to be having, I didn't explore it further.

Last night, on a lark, I fired it up while TVersity was running on my PC to serve up some video (Simpsons) to the Xbox 360 for my kids to watch on the bigscreen. What'ya know... There was my Tversity server right there on my phone showing up as a media source in Connected Home!

Selected it, browsed my media archive (terabytes of music, movies, and TV programming), selected a program to watch, then selected my i920 as the player, and viola! It all worked.

And boy did it work... Spectacular full framerate, full resolution, full quality stereo audio streamed very nicely to my phone.

There's more, though. I have plenty of media on my phone too. Music, pictures, video I've shot, etc. It was easy as pie to go the other way, and stream this stuff from my phone to the 360, on to the big screen. Wow! The 720x480 DVD resolution video I've shot on the phone plays beautifully through the Xbox on the big screen.

So, if you want to stream media from your PC to your O2 inside your home (or any other local network) go to www.tversity.com and grab their free media server. It's easy to set up, and works with Connected Home "out of the box". Also, if you have an Xbox, at least, you can stream without effort from your phone on to your TV -- no TV cable necessary.

Guest jeffrey2000
So, if you want to stream media from your PC to your O2 inside your home (or any other local network) go to www.tversity.com and grab their free media server. It's easy to set up, and works with Connected Home "out of the box". Also, if you have an Xbox, at least, you can stream without effort from your phone on to your TV -- no TV cable necessary.

You don't really need a 3th party app for that, you can easily do this in Windows Mediaplayer aswell, just enable the streaming options (and select ur movie folder) and the connected home program will pick it up.

I tried to stream from my laptop to my O2 and used the tv-out cable to connect it again to my tv (by composite) but unfortunately the outgoing signal gets blocked doing that... (My tv doesn't support dlna so tried this as workaround... but would be nice if that would work...

Edited by jeffrey2000

Guest surenz

I can second that with the TVersity software. It's really nice and WORKING. In opposite the Windows media server (in windows 7) doesn't allow to stream video, just the audio was working. I didn't realize why that problem was raising.

Pitty in the ROMs of Gary the DLNA Connected Home is removed and I tried to use the twy2 package but it didn't find my TVersity media service.

Another thing is that the TVersity can't (or I didn't figure out how) show subtitles. And not to mention that the landscape Touch player screw up all the subtitles.

Edited by surenz

Guest jeffrey2000

I'm on Windows 7 Premium (64bit) and don't have any problems with Windows Mediaplayer, i'm running the 'official' JD1 rom which has the complete connected home (DLNA) package in the rom. The only thing that doens't work is to use the tv-out option while streaming.

Guest surenz
I'm on Windows 7 Premium (64bit) and don't have any problems with Windows Mediaplayer, i'm running the 'official' JD1 rom which has the complete connected home (DLNA) package in the rom. The only thing that doens't work is to use the tv-out option while streaming.

I meant to stream from Windows Media Server to the Touchplayer. So under Contents I choose the Win PC contents (shared via Windows Media streaming) and the player to be the Touchplayer.

If that combination is working the fault is somewhere in my setup.

Guest jebise
I can second that with the TVersity software. It's really nice and WORKING. In opposite the Windows media server (in windows 7) doesn't allow to stream video, just the audio was working. I didn't realize why that problem was raising.

Pitty in the ROMs of Gary the DLNA Connected Home is removed and I tried to use the twy2 package but it didn't find my TVersity media service.

Another thing is that the TVersity can't (or I didn't figure out how) show subtitles. And not to mention that the landscape Touch player screw up all the subtitles.

Well there is a stricked tutorial you have to follow and must use k lite codecs and you have to make sure the video folder is set to transcode always. Which kida sucks because if its a divx avi file then trancoding that it just useless strain on the PC and if you do transcode the video touch player will not have an issue because it hardcoded into the video itself, that how tversity displays subtitles. There is no real way to get tversity to display subtitles without transcoding. The only streaming server i have see that works it ps3 media server and thats only for ps3 it mixes it in one of the streams and you just select subtitle from the menu and it works and it will transcode if used on a xbox again hardcoded in the video. Yes touch player supports subtitles but will not work the way you are tiring.

@ everyone else

Tversity is a great streaming server i used to use it all the time. Never tried 1.8 since i use windows 7 and have no issues with windows media player as the server since it can do everything tversity can. Tversity is not the best app if most of your videos are MKV or other format that consoles (ps3/xbox) do not support since it just trancodes the video on the fly and yes thats bad. 1 it degrades the quality of the video and, 2 you need a fast PC 3, it will transcode each time. I was able to transcode MKV on the fly to my ps3 using WMP12 with some tweaks to k lite codecs.

Windows media player 12 can do the same thing minus a few tweaks (cant force WMP to trancode at 1080P since default is something like 640x480). You really don't need tversity if your using windows 7. Plus if your like me and stream HD(MKV) to consoles then for sure tversity or even WMP is a bad idea coz of transcoding. The solution convert the MKV to MP4 how? best app is xenonmkv, take 10 minutes leaves the video untouched since consoles support h264 and converts the audio to ac3 2 channel and bang problem solved.

Edited by jebise