Police Scanner possibility?

Guest thebass

Has anyone ever thought about turning their phone into an actual Police, Fire, Airplane Scanner? I don't see why this can't be possible if the phone already picks up FM signals, what about hacking the samsung radio to extend its frequency selection? Do you think it would work? For now I suppose you can use live streams, but just think, if you get pulled over you can snoop into the convo hehe.

Guest Rapid81
Has anyone ever thought about turning their phone into an actual Police, Fire, Airplane Scanner? I don't see why this can't be possible if the phone already picks up FM signals, what about hacking the samsung radio to extend its frequency selection? Do you think it would work? For now I suppose you can use live streams, but just think, if you get pulled over you can snoop into the convo hehe.

The police, fire departments, etc radios uses the UHF frequency range (300 MHz and 3 GHz (3,000 MHz)), but the FM radios (like the one in O2) uses the FM frequencies (87.5 to 108.0 MHz or in some countries 65.8–74 MHz). So, what you're asking is impossible.

Edited by Rapid81

Guest sofladavid
The police, fire departments, etc radios uses the UHF frequency range (300 MHz and 3 GHz (3,000 MHz)), but the FM radios (like the one in O2) uses the FM frequencies (87.5 to 108.0 MHz or in some countries 65.8–74 MHz). So, what you're asking is impossible.

Not possible using the FM Radio, but entirely possible using the internet from your phone.

There are a bunch of websites on the internet that stream Police and Fire Dispatch frequencies. If you are lucky enough to find a website that streams the Police or fire department in your area, and they do it in a format you can listen to with the phone, then you are all set.

If you live in a Major Metropolitan area (NY, LA, DC, etc), then your chances are pretty good. if you live in "holeInTheGroundVille" then your chances are pretty slim.

Try websites like www.radioreference.com or search for "live scanner feeds"