24/May r4 - HTC Legend rooting guide - Now with 1.31.x

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest michalst

Hello,

first thx for great Guide ..

I have only Problem then after i do step 2, reboot in recovery mode , i cannot select anything from the menu.

I tried use volume control and trackball--- no reaction ...so i cannot wipe and flash.

Anyone have Idea why?

Thx

post-700446-1273389972_thumb.png

Edited by michalst

Guest Hoopstroops

Hi All I would like to say thankyou for the guide's and the help I received rooting my Legend!

I now have a question regarding future ota updates! My main reason's for following the guide were to allow me to remove the Vodafone branding and unlock the hidden market apps and also to allow me in the future receive the ota updates direct from HTC along with those who purchased simfree Legends! My handset is now rooted and I have a handset without branding but will I beable to receive the ota's and was it or was it not really required to root to achieve this?

Many thanks!

Alex

Guest Krissi
Hello,

first thx for great Guide ..

I have only Problem then after i do step 2, reboot in recovery mode , i cannot select anything from the menu.

I tried use volume control and trackball--- no reaction ...so i cannot wipe and flash.

Anyone have Idea why?

Thx

I got stuck there too, untill I tried the tracking "ball"... :P

You move up and down with the tracking, and press it to select..

Krissi

Guest michalst
I got stuck there too, untill I tried the tracking "ball"... :D

You move up and down with the tracking, and press it to select..

Krissi

I tried optical "trackball" already but no reaction ... :P

EDIT: Solved , i tried whole process on win 7 32 bit machine (before was win7 64bit) then i was able to select menu options , thx again. :9

Edited by michalst

Guest GhAeM
after root i recive below message when pushing :

failed to copy 'libwebcore.so' to '/system/lib//libwebcore.so': Directory not empty

any idea?

please help.

Guest profesional

I have followed the guide, but when I get to the part of

In the terminal window, enter either 'step1-windows.bat', './step1-mac.sh' or './step1-linux.sh' as appropriate.

I get from the command prompt after running step1-windows.bat

< waiting for device >

and it hangs there. Any ideas about what could be wrong?

Guest Slagert
I have followed the guide, but when I get to the part of

In the terminal window, enter either 'step1-windows.bat', './step1-mac.sh' or './step1-linux.sh' as appropriate.

I get from the command prompt after running step1-windows.bat

< waiting for device >

and it hangs there. Any ideas about what could be wrong?

Go to recoverymode without connected to pc. After you get the red ! connect your phone to usb en type step1-windows.

Rooted my legend, first with r3, later r1. After 2 reboots can't install any apps, insufficient memmory... I delete all cashes, installed rom again several times but error remains. Hope in the near future it will be solved.

Thanks anyway for the great work that's done here!

Edited by Slagert

Guest profesional

I am now in the recovery menu, but I cannot find the option to update zip from sd card :P

Is it flash zip from sd card?

Or should I enter the wipe menu? If yes, then which option inside the wipe menu?

Guest noobdeagle

im getting this 42 check custom version fail

but mine is an unbranded generic model imported to aus from the UK :\

i really don't want to use a gold card but is this why ?

Guest JCATS

I rooted my Legend yesterday, but i'm totally not happy with it, the phone resets itself many times a day and several errors occur during the day.

I would like to reset it to the original RUU 1.31.001 like I had before.

Anyone a clue where I can find that version (Europe)

Guest rajasyaitan

Hi guys. I did everything right until the end of rootupdate.zip. So I thought that was it, reboot and I'll have a rooted Legend. When I reboot however, the phone keeps on rebooting endlessly. Any idea what went wrong or how can I fix it? Thanks.

Guest pirre

No Brand Legend fw1.31 bootloader 0.43

Try the root with failure: after step1 I can not go from bootloader to recovery!

Not go ahead but I see a warning screen and the computer does not found the device .... then step2 not find the Legend and stops.

Now I have a ROM: Unknown Legend Ship S-ON

Anyway switch-on the phone I've the same configuration pre-root.

Guest flyguye

Hi there,

I am a total Newbie & this is my 1st Android phone, a HTC Legend Asia. Big thanks to Paul & those who have helped many noobs like me. I have successfully made my gold card & rooted my phone with stock R3. I had only one issue i could find was, i couldn't use mobile data to connect to the internet. It turned out the problem was the APN section was totally blank. Got that fixed. So if any of you newbies encounter this problem, download an APN backup app to save you having to enter it all manually.

I am considering a subscription to Modaco but i hope my queries can be answered by Paul or others in the know before i take the plunge. I like the HTC Sense UI, HTC contacts & Mail UI & Widgets. What i'm looking for is basiccally a stock HTC ROM minus stuff i don't need, like twitter, friendstream, facebook & a few others. Thus making it lean with only what i need. So is this possible to do? If so how do i go about it? Thank you very much

cheers,

Su

EDIT: I have taken the plunge & have become a plus member. Disregard my questions above but i have a new question though, how can i manually remove a program from my system? thanks

Edited by flyguye

Guest chinana
Ya I having the same priblem. Can someone's help pls

hi there...

i've solved this issue... (input chinese word)

if u cant change on the setting menu.

just go to the place u wanna type chinese word long press the place u want to type chinese and select the input method of chinese language...

ps. remember must installed chinese input 1st.. u can try google pinyin. that can be installed on the market.

cheers.!!!

Guest m_aarte_n
Hi guys. I did everything right until the end of rootupdate.zip. So I thought that was it, reboot and I'll have a rooted Legend. When I reboot however, the phone keeps on rebooting endlessly. Any idea what went wrong or how can I fix it? Thanks.

I had the same problem. I formatted my sd card to ext4. Problem was solved after re-formatting to ext3.

Guest Pentium10

I am stucked at

sending 'zip' <121756 KB>... OKAY

writing 'zip' ...

(I left for 30 minutes, HTC logo on phone screen, win7 32bit, I even don't see that bunch of text between sending 'zip' and writing 'zip' as seen in previous posts)

I already tried the method described here but doesn't worked out http://android.modaco.com/content-page/307...0/#entry1263749 also tried restarting laptop

What shall I do?

Edited by Pentium10

Guest tursday

hi guys,

I mad a goldcard and begun the whole procedure, step1 goes well, but when i replace the sd back to the non goldcard sd and go into recovery mode, all i get is a black screen with a "!" in a triangle. no options to choose, no nothing.

when i tyry running the step two file i get the following message (same as benny) :

C:\r3-legend-root>step2-windows.bat

Legend Root Step 2

Pushing required files to device...

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon started successfully *

error: device not found

Pushing update file to device sdcard - this may take a few minutes...

I redone my goldcard. and it works. any idea how to whats the problem?

Now wipe and apply rootedupdate.zip from the recovery image menu.

I've already tried remaking my goldcard, it went well, and the goldcard works, but i still get the same message on step 2.

any help?

Edited by tursday

Guest Slagert
hi guys,

I mad a goldcard and begun the whole procedure, step1 goes well, but when i replace the sd back to the non goldcard sd and go into recovery mode, all i get is a black screen with a "!" in a triangle. no options to choose, no nothing.

when i tyry running the step two file i get the following message (same as benny) :

C:\r3-legend-root>step2-windows.bat

Legend Root Step 2

Pushing required files to device...

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon started successfully *

Pushing update file to device sdcard - this may take a few minutes...

I redone my goldcard. and it works. any idea how to whats the problem?

Now wipe and apply rootedupdate.zip from the recovery image menu.

I've already tried remaking my goldcard, it went well, and the goldcard works, but i still get the same message on step 2.

any help?

Plug the usb-cable in your pc after the red !, then type recover-windows in cmd etc. Recoverymenu on your phone comes up.

Guest tursday
Plug the usb-cable in your pc after the red !, then type recover-windows in cmd etc. Recoverymenu on your phone comes up.

nope. when i type that command, it says the same:

error: device not found.

and still no recovery menu.

edit -

when i get into the recovery mode, with the black screen and the "!" and press volume up and poer button together i get the following menu:

android system recovery <2e>

use volume key to highlight

click power key to select.

reboot system now

apply sdcard:update.zip

wipe data/factory reset

wipe cache partition

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

anyone?

Edited by tursday