24/May r4 - HTC Legend rooting guide - Now with 1.31.x

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest KelevraLegend

Thanks Slagert but it's no good i not found the the function extras to select phisical disk? there is a guide to create a GoldCard under Linux?

Guest nieldk
Thanks Slagert but it's no good i not found the the function extras to select phisical disk? there is a guide to create a GoldCard under Linux?

you can use the command dd in linux.

assuming your SD card mounts as sdb and your golgard is named gcard.img.

The command would be:

dd if=gcard.img of=/dev/sdb

You need to execute this as root user.

Guest DCold
when you are on the black screen just start step2 don't do anything more....the black screen with the "i" IS THE RECOVERY MODE ! step2 ( push all needed files for the root process ) will provide a alternatif recovery menu with more options and this menu is green . The original recovery menu ( VOL UP + POWER ) provide only 3 options and this menu is blue....

@deadj : do the root process again

here what i do each time i root my legend :

in english ( sorry i'm french so my english is not perfect... :))

- phone off

- VOL DOWN + POWER

- by default FASTBOOT is selected, just push POWER button to confirme selection and you will see FASTBOOT in red

- start step1-windows.bat ( in my case i get failed 42 version blablabla... but i don't care about it. coz it's not the first time i root it. )

- Step1 finished, phone back on initial menu ( FASTBOOT , RECOVERY , CLEAR STORAGE etc.... ) and select RECOVERY with VOL button and push POWER to confirme selection

- get a black screen with a phone and "!" red symbol

- start step2-windows.bat ( i see all pushing files process in msdos window )

- new recovery menu appear ( green menu )

- i select wipe with trackball

- i use all wipe menu to clear anything and get a proper installation

- i go back to previous menu with VOL UP button

- i select flash from SDCARD

- i choose rootupdate.zip

root in progress.......

Done.

- i select reboot ( first choice in the menu )with trackball

Legend Rooted

sounds good but i stuck on starting "step2-windows.bat" ... when i start step 2... dosmode tells me:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pushing required files to device...

* deamon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* deamon started successfully *

error: device not found

Pushing update file to device sdcard - this may take a few minutes...

now wipe and apply...blablabla...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what´s wrong?! have i forgot something?! i hope someone can help me with this... ( OS is windows7 64)

Guest sayatsugu

Hi,

I have just rooted my Legend and there seems to be an issue with HTC Sense.

Everytime I exit an app and back to the home screen, HTC Sense seems to do a reload (with the loading dialog pop-up) ?

Before I did my reboot, it was crashing badly and kept needing to force shutdown.

I have tried with both R2 and R3 versions and it did not helped.

Did anybody encountered such an error ?

Thank you.

Guest Pentium10
you should check if VM installed in your pc . After unintalled it and restart your pc ,you 'll sucess continuing rooting.

What VM? I am on windows 7.

Guest Slagert
Any idea to root rom 1.32 ?

My rom is 1.32, hbot 0.43....pls help me

There is no alternate ROM for 1.32 so i understood. Be patient, in time there will be one!

Guest DCold
you used a goldcard ?

you tried to reboot your computer ?

yes of course...i have my goldcard and i also rebooted my computer!

facts of my Legend:

Hboot: 0.43.0001

Software number: 1.31.177.2

Guest flyguye

Has anyone noticed that the Android system takes about 40% of batt usage using the rooted HTC Stock ROM from Modaco online kitchen? With my previous HTC Asian ROM that came with the phone, i hardly ever get the Android system coming over 10% of Batt usage.

I need some help regarding installing .apk's . Pls tell if this is possible? Lets say i have copied HTCFacebook.apk from a rooted Stock Rom, When i copy it the SDcard of another rooted HTC Legend that doesn't have HTCFacebook & click to install, it doesn't. Can anyone explain why? Also, how & where in the custom ROM can i find & delete unwanted languages to make the custom ROM thin & light? Thanks.

cheers,

Su

Guest Charles_yin

Hi Paul,

I have done the root procedure, but I found that I couldn't use Chinese IME now. So I need to downgrade to R2 version.

Do you plan to put the Chinese IME into R3 or later version? That's very important for Chines(Taiwan,HK,China). I found in R1,you have seprate file only for Chinese IME, But I don't how to install this component. Would you kindly to publish some user guide for componement installation?

I really appreciate your effort! I looking forward to see more pepole to use Android phone!

Thank your help.

Guest silver_surfer30

Hi all,

I have my brand new Legend from SFR and noticed hat the rom is 1.32.163.1.

So I guess that I can not root my device.

Is there a way to downgrade to the appropriate rom version (1.31) then to be able to root my legend ?

Guest pirre

I've tryed also with Ubuntu 10.4...... nothing to do! :D

Created a GoldCard with Linux, launched with success the step1-linux.sh (including the error 42 ;) ) but the step2 did'nt found the device! :( :(

Even if the Legend in recovery mode (black screen and red triangle) is recognized by the computer like a USB attached-Android#4!!

Hope in a new root-release from the big Paul!!!

Thanks in advance! :)

P.S. I did all the things that I could do: goldcard, change it with another for the step2, reboot Linux, checked the adb devices etc.... everythings work but the step2! :D :D

Sorry for my English...

Guest ilos
oki thx... you think i can root very soon ?

ps: sorry for my bad english !!!

Paul has not worked on 1.32 so... can't tell you when :)

Guest arunan
Hi all,

I have my brand new Legend from SFR and noticed hat the rom is 1.32.163.1.

So I guess that I can not root my device.

Is there a way to downgrade to the appropriate rom version (1.31) then to be able to root my legend ?

i have the same problem!!

are you french ??

Guest pirre

Finally I've root it! :)

Run all the processes from a lite version of Windows XP!

The difficult part was to configure the drivers of Legend for adb, fastboot and bootloader mode: http://www.mail-archive.com/android-develo...m/msg90765.html

After that another possible variant for my success may have been the change of the microSD which I created the Goldcard.

So, from windows, step1 did not give me more the error 42 and was able to load all necessary files on the device, consequently, has also completed the step2!

P.S. single bug found ... greater instability in wifi! ;)