24/May r4 - HTC Legend rooting guide - Now with 1.31.x

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest lampux

froyo is coming to HTC Dream and Magic (i READ ON xda FORUM)...according to this news, when can we be able to have it on our Legend considering it is much much better and poweful than these two flintstones phones (dream and magic)?? Please Paul don't leave us alone :rolleyes:

Guest fighting4android
froyo is coming to HTC Dream and Magic (i READ ON xda FORUM)...according to this news, when can we be able to have it on our Legend considering it is much much better and poweful than these two flintstones phones (dream and magic)?? Please Paul don't leave us alone :rolleyes:

Totally agree with you

Guest Ale Baba

Sorry, guys, but don't you think you are a bit pathetic? Froyo isn't even hatched completely and you just can't stop whining around.

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but how do you think porting is done? That Paul just launches a terminal, types "android --port --version 2.2 --image r2-modaco.zip"?

Sorry again, but this is just too ridiculous to be true. I don't think that 2.2 is compatible to 2.1 in terms of binary drivers for the Legend (new kernel), so to port the Legend to Froyo one needs the Froyo source code.

And even if some mysterious wizard hacker had the sources and the drivers were no problem at all, then still Rosie could be missing. I don't want to imagine your reaction to a "stock 2.2 for Legend" without Sense.

Even without being involved I can promise you that we will see Froyo on the Legend within a month, most likely without Sense. Should this turn out to be wrong for some reason (Have you ever written a driver in C? No?), then there is still HTC who promised to update.

What disturbs me the most is that you guys seem to believe you have the right to urge or demand. You don't! Not even if you had a Modaco Premium subscription.

Please, grow up a bit, stop whining, get a life (whatever applies).

(Greetings from a happy Legend user who likes 2.1 a lot.)

Edited by Ale Baba

Guest Berek
Sorry, guys, but don't you think you are a bit pathetic? Froyo isn't even hatched completely and you just can't stop whining around.

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but how do you think porting is done? That Paul just launches a terminal, types "android --port --version 2.2 --image r2-modaco.zip"?

Sorry again, but this is just too ridiculous to be true. I don't think that 2.2 is compatible to 2.1 in terms of binary drivers for the Legend (new kernel), so to port the Legend to Froyo one needs the Froyo source code.

And even if some mysterious wizard hacker had the sources and the drivers were no problem at all, then still Rosie could be missing. I don't want to imagine your reaction to a "stock 2.2 for Legend" without Sense.

Even without being involved I can promise you that we will see Froyo on the Legend within a month, most likely without Sense. Should this turn out to be wrong for some reason (Have you ever written a driver in C? No?), then there is still HTC who promised to update.

What disturbs me the most is that you guys seem to believe you have the right to urge or demand. You don't! Not even if you had a Modaco Premium subscription.

Please, grow up a bit, stop whining, get a life (whatever applies).

(Greetings from a happy Legend user who likes 2.1 a lot.)

Ha - I've been thinking exactly the same thing for a while now. Thanks for putting it into words so succinctly. These little whiners going "me, me, me" all the time does get a bit trying.

Guest OlegKrikun

Paul! I use the 'USB mount' functionality in the recovery menu =(

Now the phone does not see the SD card and is not detected when connected to USB (Unknown Device).

Attempts to get into Recovery Menu fails.

What to do, Paul? =)

Guest iskylord

Guys could you help me please? I've installed this Rom, it works really good, but how can I get back my stock Rom? I'm from Russia and I don't know which region I have to choose. There are a lot of them Asia tw, Asia wwe, Asia hk cht, wwe on shipped-roms.com. Which one i should install?

Guest StripLV
•In the terminal window, enter either 'step1-windows.bat', './step1-mac.sh' or './step1-linux.sh' as appropriate.

•When this step has completed, REMOVE THE GOLDCARD and either format it and replace, or replace with a different (non goldcard) microSD.

•Navigate to the 'BOOTLOADER' and then 'RECOVERY' option on the menu, using the volume buttons to move and the power button to select.•In the terminal window, enter either 'step2-windows.bat', './step2-mac.sh' or './step2-linux.sh' as appropriate.

•When this has completed, your device should be at the 'recovery' screen. Select the 'wipe' option, then select the option to apply an update zip from sdcard, and select 'rootedupdate.zip'. This will take a little while, so go make a nice cup of tea. When the flash has finished, reboot, and you are DONE!

I don´understand this thing. When i remove the Goldcard the device is turning off, isn´t it? Because to remove the SD card i have to open this "plastic thing" ( i don´t know the english word ) and then the battery is "falling" out.

So how is it about that? Has the device to be turned on during the whole process or is it ok that the device is turning off when i remove the SD?

Thanks

Guest StripLV

2 More Questions:

If the Legend is rooted, how to flash then a new ROM? Am i thinking right that a ROM has ALWAYS to be named as "rootupdate.zip" and copy that to the SD card? And has for this the SD ALWAYS to be a Goldcard?

How to get in the recovery mode after the Legend is rooted? Can i get in the recovery mode "without a Computer" or do i have to repeat always these steps:

•Make your microSD card into a goldcard by following these instructions (it's a good idea to back up the contents of your card first!).

•Unzip the file you downloaded to a directory, then open a command prompt / terminal window at that directory.

•Turn off your HTC Legend, then turn it back on with the 'back' button held down. You'll see 'FASTBOOT' written on the screen in a red box. Connect the phone to the computer.

•In the terminal window, enter either 'step1-windows.bat', './step1-mac.sh' or './step1-linux.sh' as appropriate.

•When this step has completed, REMOVE THE GOLDCARD and either format it and replace, or replace with a different (non goldcard) microSD.

•Navigate to the 'BOOTLOADER' and then 'RECOVERY' option on the menu, using the volume buttons to move and the power button to select.

•In the terminal window, enter either 'step2-windows.bat', './step2-mac.sh' or './step2-linux.sh' as appropriate.

•When this has completed, your device should be at the 'recovery' screen. Select the 'wipe' option, then select the option to apply an update zip from sdcard, and select 'rootedupdate.zip'.

Guest borgfather

Question :

what are the risks in rooting and are there any disadvantages ??

i have a HTC legend not branded to any operator does this make a difference in rooting ?

am I going to mis any functions currently installed ?

Guest Ale Baba
When i remove the Goldcard the device is turning off, isn´t it? Because to remove the SD card i have to open this "plastic thing" ( i don´t know the english word ) and then the battery is "falling" out.

So how is it about that? Has the device to be turned on during the whole process or is it ok that the device is turning off when i remove the SD?

As far as I understood you need an SD card that the rooting scripts can write to (= valid partition is needed). I didn't have a second micro-SD available and no card reader to format it either, but I was able to root my Legend nevertheless.

If the Legend is rooted, how to flash then a new ROM? Am i thinking right that a ROM has ALWAYS to be named as "rootupdate.zip" and copy that to the SD card? And has for this the SD ALWAYS to be a Goldcard?

How to get in the recovery mode after the Legend is rooted? Can i get in the recovery mode "without a Computer" or do i have to repeat always these steps:

ad 1.) No. All you need is the recovery-* script and the "files" folder. To put the device in recovery mode refer to the instructions in the first post in this thread. If you've got a custom ROM at the root of your SD you can then flash it by selecting corresponding entry in the green recovery menu.

ad 2.) That's, as said above, already described in the first post. Back+PowerOn -> Bootloader -> Recovery -> wait until you see the red sign -> run recovery-* script.

There's no way to put a Legend in recovery mode without a PC.

what are the risks in rooting and are there any disadvantages ??

i have a HTC legend not branded to any operator does this make a difference in rooting ?

am I going to mis any functions currently installed ?

I've not heard of disadvantages, other than possible voiding of warranty (but most likely not if related to Hardware only). Don't take this as granted though :-).

I rooted my unbranded Legend successfully following the instructions in the first post.

If you use a ROM that contains all of the HTC additions (and not a "stock" one) you won't miss anything, but some custom data (everything the phone doesn't save on SD-card) will be deleted after rooting.

So make sure you back up data like contacts (stored in phone memory).

Edited by Ale Baba

Guest borgfather

Can you please tel me where i can find a reliable source of information about ROM's for the Legend

as you mentioned to use a ROM with all the HTC addons ??

what different roms are there ?

thanks for the help !!

Guest StripLV
As far as I understood you need an SD card that the rooting scripts can write to (= valid partition is needed). I didn't have a second micro-SD available and no card reader to format it either, but I was able to root my Legend nevertheless.

First, thank you man for the answers!!!

Second, Did i understand it correct that you rooted your Legend with a "normal" / "as delivered with the Legend" / "virgin" micro sd card?

You skiped that step "make your Sd into a Goldcard? Is that correct? You did not touch the SD?

And so you did not remove the SD after "step 1"

If yes, it worked for you?

Guest borgfather

Im trying to make a GoldCard but te command : adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid gave an error instead i used the command

adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:*/cid and it gave me an number as described can someone tell me if this is ok ?

Guest Ale Baba
And so you did not remove the SD after "step 1"

If yes, it worked for you?

No, I didn't remove my Goldcard and rooting worked nevertheless.

Im trying to make a GoldCard but te command : adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid gave an error instead i used the command

adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:*/cid and it gave me an number as described can someone tell me if this is ok ?

Should be Ok. This is just a question of how the kernel enumerates devices. I used 0 too.

Edited by Ale Baba

Guest borgfather

please excuse-me for asking so much but :

is the rom provided in the first post identical as the original rom but rooted ?

does it include HTC sense ?

or is it an generic android release ?

Guest borgfather

Ok my personal update :

I managed to get my legend rooted !!!

it looks the same as from the shop and i can start to reinstall the apps i like

it is great !!

Thanks Paul !!!!

Guest lampux
Just a minor tweak to the script (nohup) to make the recovery mode more stable.

P

Hello Paul, I knew Desire and Evo4g are coming with the froyo update (not official by HTC, cooked roms)...why don't you try also something to have 2.2 on Legend too? It's always the coolest phone on the market, even better than iphone, and much better than n1 and desire, it's only less powerfull but I think quite enough to have 2.2...do us happy please :(

Guest Hammill100

I am at step2 and keep getting error:device not found... what am i doing wrong?? cant get the Legend to root at all!! tried lots of different things..

anyone help??

Guest echelondk

Hi Paul,

Successfully rooted my HTC Legend today. You guide is perfect and there was no problems for me!

I do have one request. Can you please include grep, cut and the tun module in next release so you're able to connect to a cisco vpn device using the "VPN Connection (root)" on market. That would be awesome if possible :(

Keep up the good work!

Guest johnvixen

Sorry to p*ss on your chips Paul (so to speak). thanks for the hard work, however, this will not work on the latest HTC Legends running...

LEGEND UNKNOWN SHIP S-ON

HBOOT-0.43.0001

I've tried 3 different goldcards (Kingston/Scandisk/other) so it's NOT the goldcard that is causing the problem.

On step 1 the following error occurs in BOTH Linux boot CD and Windows XP

INFOchecking main version...

FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)

On step 2 the following error occurs

error: device not found

Now, it seems to me a vast majority of people posting on this forum are having the same problem. It seems to be with the latest HTC Legends.

I've tried downgrading to 1.21 but still having issues.

If anyone has a solution please post it, because as from here in anyone with a new HTC Legend will not be able to flash it using this guide.

Edited by johnvixen