24/May r4 - HTC Legend rooting guide - Now with 1.31.x

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest borgfather
so I cant do it. Ill try to use linux.

it woks with only the first step of the rooting

the first step installs a rooted test rom

have a look and boot up your phone

if it boots try to connect it to your computer as a drive if your computer fails to find it, it is almost certain a usb-brick

try it and tell me what happend

Cya Later

Guest borgfather
so I cant do it. Ill try to use linux.

an other thing you can try is :

boot your device into boot menu ( holding vol down )

select fastboot

connect usb to your computer

is should show now "fastboot usb"

now in the rooting directory on your computer give the command "fastboot oem boot"

now post the outcome

it shows if you have a USB-Brick

good luck

Guest paviol

on linux gives me the same outcome...

root@linux-pc:/home/paviol/Desktop/legend# ./step2-linux.sh

Legend Root Step 2

Pushing required files to device...

* daemon not running. starting it now *

* daemon started successfully *

error: device not found

Pushing update file to device sdcard - this may take a few minutes...

Now wipe and apply rootedupdate.zip from the recovery image menu.

root@linux-pc:/home/paviol/Desktop/legend# error: device not found
so the problem is with the phone... ;/ fastboot oem boot outcome:
C:\android\tools>fastboot oem boot

... INFOsetup_tag addr=0x60000100 cmdline add=0x9D

078D14

INFOTAG:Ramdisk OK

INFOTAG:smi ok, size = 0

INFOTAG:hwid 0x0

INFOTAG:skuid 0x22F00

INFOTAG:hero panel = 0x0

INFOTAG:engineerid = 0x0

INFOMCP dual-die

INFOMCP dual-die

INFOTAG:mono-die = 0x0

INFODevice CID is not super CID

INFOCID is VODAP001

INFOsetting->cid::VODAP001

INFOserial number: HT04HNX00102

INFOcommandline from head: no_console_suspend=1 console=null

INFOcommand line length =439

INFOactive commandline: board_legend.disable_uart3=0 board_legen

INFOd.usb_h2w_sw=0 board_legend.disable_sdcard=0 diag.enabled=0

INFOboard_legend.debug_uart=0 smisize=0 userdata_sel=0 androidbo

INFOot.emmc=false  androidboot.baseband=7.05.35.26L androidboot.

INFOcid=VODAP001 androidboot.carrier=VODA-UK androidboot.mid=PB7

INFO610000 androidboot.keycaps=qwerty androidboot.mode=normal an

INFOdroidboot.serialno=HT04HNX00102 androidboot.bootloader=0.43.

INFO0001 no_console_suspend=1 console=null

INFOaARM_Partion[0].name=misc

INFOaARM_Partion[1].name=recovery

INFOaARM_Partion[2].name=boot

INFOaARM_Partion[3].name=system

INFOaARM_Partion[4].name=cache

INFOaARM_Partion[5].name=userdata

INFOpartition number=6

INFOValid partition num=6

INFOmpu_nand_acpu_rw 8F2 1000

FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

finished. total time: 0.883s

I assume this means its wrong. anyone? Either way if I have to follow the steps how to fix that, I cant do it becuase im not rooted, it that right? or is the step1 in rooting enough for my Legend to go through the procedure to fix the usb-brick?

Edited by paviol

Guest borgfather
on linux gives me the same outcome...

root@linux-pc:/home/paviol/Desktop/legend# ./step2-linux.sh

Legend Root Step 2

root@linux-pc:/home/paviol/Desktop/legend# error: device not found
so the problem is with the phone... ;/ fastboot oem boot outcome:

INFOd.usb_h2w_sw=0
I assume this means its wrong. anyone? Either way if I have to follow the steps how to fix that, I cant do it becuase im not rooted, it that right? or is the step1 in rooting enough for my Legend to go through the procedure to fix the usb-brick?
i think there is nothing wrong with your phone

INFOd.usb_h2w_sw=0

shows the parameters are OK

i have the feeling you passed true step 1 ok but fail to put you phone into the right boot modus before step 2

make sure you boot up your phone into recovery modus , you see the warning sign in the screen before you start step2

Guest Shild
i think there is nothing wrong with your phone

INFOd.usb_h2w_sw=0

shows the parameters are OK

i have the feeling you passed true step 1 ok but fail to put you phone into the right boot modus before step 2

make sure you boot up your phone into recovery modus , you see the warning sign in the screen before you start step2

I have completly the same problem. I'm booting in recovery-modus, i see the warning sign, try to start step 2 and only "no device found" appears. Perhaps it's helpful to know that by creating the goldcard a had the same problem, fixxed by using mmc0 instead of mmc1. I'm lucky that my legend is still working :-D

Ps. I'm from Germany, forgive my mistakes ;-)

Edited by Shild

Guest AFX3D

Hi mocado.

This seems like a GREAT forum.

I got my htc legend today. And im a nerd, im realising more and more;)

Anyways. I want too root my phone, and i have read this guide last week or so.

But my question is. Can i flash my new HTC or is it too new?

(edit: I read this last week, and forgot. Im gonna check my version as in the tut.)

But the questions which ive been thinking about is. Does this guide work?

http://theunlockr.com/2010/06/07/how-to-root-the-htc-legend/

http://theunlockr.com/2010/03/10/how-to-create-a-goldcard/

Its nice with two .bat files that does all of the work;) Its the goldcard option that seems a little hard today because im tired as hell. I think i will root my phone tomorrow instead. But its good to know a tutorial that works for my htc legend....

Thanks a bunch! And excuse my "blurry" text.

//AFX3D

Edited by AFX3D

Guest skelettor

Hi everybody,

I have some questions before try to root my Ledeng.

If I root now my phone, can I install official Froyo update when HTC will publish it ?

If I root my phone, I can keep a HTC ROM without customization except root and app2sd and nandroid ? It is for the moment the only functionalities which interest me in the root process.

Regards.

Guest weaselmode
The only thing that I can see is that testimage.zip is not loading on Legend and that means that no one can run step1.sh successfully.

testimage.zip is an edited/tweaked 1.23.... and this is a problem for legend with 1.31.... ROM on it.

Solution (as I can see it): tweak 1.31.... ROM and all will be OK!

Great move by Paul!!! Keep it ON!!!

gr.

**IGNORE ME - I have 1.32 :(

Hi there,

I follow instructions for step 1 and it seems to work but i get an error 42: custom id check fail

I then restart phone to format sd card and give the phone a reboot. I put it bootloader, recovery and i get the phone symbol with the red exclamation mark. I then run the step 2 and error: device not found.

any ideas?

Edited by weaselmode

Guest Vecinu

Update:

I have managed to get the Legend fully rooted and installed Cyonagen mod on it.

Thank you very much for your help Paul, everything is working fabulously.

For those who want to know, the problem was with the goldcard itself. My Sandisk 2GB (NON-SDHC) just refused to work at certain times. I goldcarded my Kingston 2GB just fine and continued the guide from there.

EDIT: I ran it on my Windows XP machine and it got past that stage but now I get FAILED <remote: 41 model id check fail>

Hi everyone,

I have tried doing these steps over and over.

First, I have downgraded from 2.02 to 1.31.450 by following this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=725430 .

Everything worked fine, up until running the RUU.

Now I am trying to run step1-windows.bat but it just hangs at writing 'zip' ...

I have tried a Sandisk and Kingston microSD card, I've goldcarded them in two ways, numerous times and I have had no success.

I am running Windows 7 x64. Does anyone have any ideas?

Edited by Vecinu

Guest Thogster

I'm currently thinking of rooting my Legend so that I can install FroYo on it. However, I'm kind of a newbie with these sorts of things, so I have some questions I hope you could help clarify for me.

1) When you say ROM-version, do you mean the version of Android my Legend is running? I have 2.1 installed, so does that mean I have to downgrade to 1.3 to be able to root the phone?

2) As far as I've understood, the gold card is only to be used for the rooting itself. Does that mean I can use my 2GB MicroSD that came with the phone as a gold card, and leave the 16GB MicroSD I bought and use it with the rooted phone, without having to format it? Will the data saved on it still work with the rooted phone (contacts, synced Spotify playlists etc.)

3) Can the phone be reset to default, so that there will be no trace of ever rooting it? (in case of some warranty issues)

4) How do one go about installing FroYo on a rooted device? Is that a complicated procedure, or is it a simple download from the internet and just installing it?

Hope you can help me out here, I'm kind of afraid I will badword the phone up. :(

Guest Vecinu
I'm currently thinking of rooting my Legend so that I can install FroYo on it. However, I'm kind of a newbie with these sorts of things, so I have some questions I hope you could help clarify for me.

1) When you say ROM-version, do you mean the version of Android my Legend is running? I have 2.1 installed, so does that mean I have to downgrade to 1.3 to be able to root the phone?

2) As far as I've understood, the gold card is only to be used for the rooting itself. Does that mean I can use my 2GB MicroSD that came with the phone as a gold card, and leave the 16GB MicroSD I bought and use it with the rooted phone, without having to format it? Will the data saved on it still work with the rooted phone (contacts, synced Spotify playlists etc.)

3) Can the phone be reset to default, so that there will be no trace of ever rooting it? (in case of some warranty issues)

4) How do one go about installing FroYo on a rooted device? Is that a complicated procedure, or is it a simple download from the internet and just installing it?

Hope you can help me out here, I'm kind of afraid I will badword the phone up. :(

1) Settings -> About Phone -> Software Information. You're looking for software version and if this is a brand new legend, you're not going to be on 1.31 for sure. You will have to follow this link to downgrade your 2.1 ROM. It worked for me!

2) Correct, a gold card is only used to make the phone believe you are authorized to write to certain data on its filesystem. You can use the 2GB microSD card that came with your legend but be aware, my Sandisk 2GB was giving me issues. I have a spare 2GB Kingston microSD and that worked fine. I'm not sure which card your phone came with. You should backup your 16GB just in case. There is a step when you switch the gold card with a non-gold card to copy some files. It never deleted the data on that card for me but always BACKUP.

3) I cannot vouch for this but I believe you can, especially if you just allow HTC to update your phone OTA (over-the-air). Some people were saying if you apply the official update, you may lose rooting priviledges forever, so I assume there will be no trace (although I might be wrong).

4) It is as simple as installing "ROM Manager" from the Market, finding a version of Froyo you like, this might do and just using ROM Manager to install your ROM from the SD card. It was extremely simple for me.

There is always risk involved with rooting your phone, as others will tell you.

Take a chance if you can afford it, simple as that. Good luck.

Guest balkyn

Hello PAUL!

Unfortunately

I have HBOOT 0.43xxxxx

1.32.163.2 CL155118 release-keys

I have had during step1 FAILED (remote: 42 main version check fail)

FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)

I am blocked at step2 with this screen ( i tried on windows vista and linux ubuntu 10.04 (adb devices working))

"Legend Root Step 2

But i found a directory on my SDCARD called: backup/HTC LEGEND

So what if I send you all this directory, can you do anything useful with it???

If not? when could you do something for people having 1.32???

I have read something very interesting about ROMManager but i must be rooted! Grrrrrrrrr

Have a nice day PAUL

balkyn

Edited by balkyn

Guest Kevin DAGNEAUX

Hi people !

To start, i would to thanks Paul for it's work !

I've finaly rooted my HTC Legend from a 1.32 SFR's ROM by following the work of wag3slav3 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=725430) and Paul's one.

Due to the difficulty to find infos about rooting a 1.32 ROM, i've made a french procedural for ROM 1.32 and 1.31 (just a translation of wag3slav3's and Pauls's work) who have worked for me, it's availlable at http://www.illux.org/howtos/resources/rooter-son-htc-legend/

Thanks for all people who have posted infos who have helped me, and thanks to Paul for his procedural !

Kevin

== EDIT ==

After speaking with kirby on RS2I's irc, i found that the procedural is the same for a HTC desire with same scripts, i've updated my howto for htc desire specific instructions

Edited by Kevin DAGNEAUX

Guest balkyn
Hi people !

To start, i would to thanks Paul for it's work !

I've finaly rooted my HTC Legend from a 1.32 SFR's ROM by following the work of wag3slav3 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=725430) and Paul's one.

Due to the difficulty to find infos about rooting a 1.32 ROM, i've made a french procedural for ROM 1.32 and 1.31 (just a translation of wag3slav3's and Pauls's work) who have worked for me, it's availlable at http://www.illux.org/howtos/resources/rooter-son-htc-legend/

Thanks for all people who have posted infos who have helped me, and thanks to Paul for his procedural !

Kevin

== EDIT ==

After speaking with kirby on RS2I's irc, i found that the procedural is the same for a HTC desire with same scripts, i've updated my howto for htc desire specific instructions

It works!!! I have finally rooted my HTC Legend 1.32!!!

THANKS a lot to PAUL for rooting HTC Legend,

also to wag3slav3 for downgrade from 1.32 to 1.31 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=725430

and finally THANKS TO Kevin DAGNEAUX for the french translation of all great work!!!

I have just problems to use the root specially to uninstall stuffs automically installed I don't want, so if someone could help me!!!

Ça marche!!! J'ai enfin rooté mon HTC Legend 1.32!!!

MERCI beaucoup à PAUL for rooting Legend

aussi À wag3slav3 pour descendre la version logiciel de 1.32 à 1.31

et pour finir un grand merci à Kevin DAGNEAUX pour avoir traduit en français tout ce grand travail!!! http://www.illux.org/howtos/resources/rooter-son-htc-legend/

J'ai juste des problèmes avec l'utilisation du root, spécialement pour désinstaller tous les logiciels que je ne veux pas, donc si quelqu'un pouvait m'aider!!!

Guest LayZeeDK

Hi guys

I bought an HTC Legend today. I've been fooling around with my HTC Magic for 7-8 months so installing root, custom ROMs etc. is nothing new to me.

I just can't get this method of rooting to work properly on my Legend. Step 1 was successful. But Step 2 doesn't boot to the custom recovery.

Here's the cmd log after pushing 31 files successfully:

31 files pushed. 0 files skipped.

999 KB/s (3734509 bytes in 3.650s)

adb server is out of date. killing...

*daemon started successfully *

** daemon still not runningerror: cannot connect to daemon

Now wipe and apply rootedupdate.zip from the recovery image menu

And then nothing happens :D Any help would be greatly appreciated!

More info on the phone:

LEGEND UNKNOWN SHIP S-ON

HBOOT-0.43.0001

MICROP-0816

TOUCH PANEL-SYN07_0103

RADIO-7.05.35.26L

EDIT: Since Step 1 was successful I used fake-flash to boot Clockwork Recovery and flashed a custom ROM successfully :)

Edited by LayZeeDK

Guest c_man

Can anyone confirm these 2 questions?

1] I have an unbranded and unlocked Legend. Do I still need a Goldcard in order to root? I am not sure..

2] Also, I am running the latest OTA update. Therefore, in order to root, I believe I have to downgrade my ROM. Is a Goldcard required for that ?

Thanks in advance...

Guest Dr.Romca
Dr.Romca, how did you manage to get rooted v.2.03 :)

Hi! I started as a 1.31, did the root and then upgraded using step 2 from Pauls rooting guide with a differetn ZIP file.

If you have 2.03 to start with, I think you'd have to use another Guide...

Guest Calhob

Was not able to root my HTC Legend from vodafone Australia (0.43.0003)

Got stuck on Step 1:

Legend Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode...

erasing 'cache'... OKAY

... OKAY

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >

sending 'zip' (121756 KB)... OKAY

writing 'zip'...

Eventually had to ^C to terminate. I think it has to do with ROM 1.31as per NikMel above.

Anyone else has this problem?

Guest Dr.Romca

I'd say the zip file is corrupted or you're missig some part of the archive with the two steps. Did you try another PC? Sometimes it just needs another environment ;-)

Good luck!

Guest SB1982

Hi All,

Have been reading a lot yesterday, and decided to give it a try to root my Legend.

But so far, it hasn't been a big succes.

What i did:

I followed the guide on theunlockr.com (which is almost the same as the first post in this topic) to root my legend, after a couple of tries it worked.

so far, so good. Installed the RodigezStyle (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=679122) rom, which is currently running.

But i can't install anything from the market, on the device it shows the amount of free space on both the phone and SD, which is enough (about 150 at phone, 2gb at SD).

Without a app i can't reach the SD so I can't use it, and can't install to it.

So i thought to install another rom, but the device can be found while attached using 'fastboot devices', but it can't be found using 'adb devices', where this used to work during the rooting.

I'm pretty stuck in this puzzle, some help or advice would be appriciated.

Thanks a lot !

I had this week also this kind of problem with the CyanogenMod 6 for the Legend. I had forgotten to add Google apps.

I could solve this by the via the rom mananger included in the CyanogenMod 6. I have downloaded the rom again via rom mananger and checked also

Google apps. After installing the rom again I had also now Google apps, like Market. An other problem than was that I could not download form Market yet

because of a problem with the permissions. Via the rom mananger I could also repair the permissions.

So the best, install via the rom mananger (ClockworkMod) a new rom. I hope your rom maker has included this in the rom you are using now.

You have to be rooted first, but you are already.

For starters warning:

When you use the guide at page 1 now, please downgrade you HTC rom first, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=725430

An easy way today to make a coldcard is via http://sites.google.com/site/roothtchero/goldcard-2, (change mcc1 to mcc0 for the Legend)

Edited by inday

Guest SB1982

The situation of my Legend has improved, i was able to get into recovery-clockwork and reload the rom, this improved a bit.

But i'm only able to install a few apps, then it's says there's not enough space.

If I format the Cache in recover-clockwork, it works fine, and I can install some more.

But the booting takes about 5min. If i format the cache, boot, restart (without formatting the cache) I can't install anything.

Any ideas?

The situation of my Legend has improved, i was able to get into recovery-clockwork and reload the rom, this improved a bit.

But i'm only able to install a few apps, then it's says there's not enough space.

If I format the Cache in recover-clockwork, it works fine, and I can install some more.

But the booting takes about 5min. If i format the cache, boot, restart (without formatting the cache) I can't install anything.

Any ideas?

Looks like this problem,

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...7681&page=3

To fix the market problem, I removed Maps.apk, Twitter.apk, PassionQuickOffice.apk.

---- Download

(latest)

hxxp://www.4shared.com/file/etwE38jj/legend_CM600_alpha_kyosa_rev11.html

rev11: fixed Market problem

Thanks to: schpinn james194zt warriorofice

if you have already installed rev5, you can fix without update.

1. run cmd.exe (if you use windows)

2. cd to 'r4-legend-root' (r3-legend-root?)

3. enter recovery mode (type 'recovery-windows.exe')

4. wipe (all)

5. (PC) CTRL-C on command prompt (quit recovery-windows.exe)

6. (PC) type below

./adb-windows.exe shell

# mount /system

# cd /system/app

# rm Maps.apk

# rm Passion*.apk

# rm Twitter.apk

# sync

# reboot

Could you not beter install newer rom, Rodriguezstyle MoDaCoMoD is already very old, e.g. CyanogenMod 6, you can download via rom mananger don't forget Google apps, and install with rom mananger.

Edited by inday

Guest SB1982
Looks like this problem,

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...7681&page=3

To fix the market problem, I removed Maps.apk, Twitter.apk, PassionQuickOffice.apk.

---- Download

(latest)

hxxp://www.4shared.com/file/etwE38jj/legend_CM600_alpha_kyosa_rev11.html

rev11: fixed Market problem

Thanks to: schpinn james194zt warriorofice

if you have already installed rev5, you can fix without update.

1. run cmd.exe (if you use windows)

2. cd to 'r4-legend-root' (r3-legend-root?)

3. enter recovery mode (type 'recovery-windows.exe')

4. wipe (all)

5. (PC) CTRL-C on command prompt (quit recovery-windows.exe)

6. (PC) type below

./adb-windows.exe shell

# mount /system

# cd /system/app

# rm Maps.apk

# rm Passion*.apk

# rm Twitter.apk

# sync

# reboot

Could you not beter install newer rom, Rodriguezstyle MoDaCoMoD is already very old, e.g. CyanogenMod 6, you can download via rom mananger don't forget Google apps, and install with rom mananger.

Thanks for the quick response, i'll try CyanogenMod 6 then.

Rodriguezstyle isn't too good for me.

The link you gave is the latest CyanogenMod 6?