[GUIDE] Building your own Flashable ROM

Guest amdzero

Guest Mr.DunnDunn
in your kitchen root folder, do a search for that .dsm (too long to type) and see if there are duplicates. if not, post the folder that it resides in.

EDIT:

you know I just did a quick search and found that this file "3346da5d-3675-4a67-925e-75f623184bda.dsm" is located in the XIP. If you find a dulicate, then the one in the ROM\XIP folder should be left.

thanks. it was still finding the same error but when i ran the search it was in another SYS folder as well, so I deleted that 1 too and it worked. Just out of curiosity is that error common?

Guest amdzero
thanks. it was still finding the same error but when i ran the search it was in another SYS folder as well, so I deleted that 1 too and it worked. Just out of curiosity is that error common?

You will usually get this error if you are porting over a new sys/xip, or a newer version of a program (like facebook or google maps). Its not really an error, its just letting you know that there are two different (even sometimes identical) versions of a file/program. It isn't smart enough to recognize this and choose which version.

That's okay, as it just means I forgot to look for redundancies in my kitchen.

Glad I could help.

Guest Mr.DunnDunn

so testing after reading the 3rd part of the guide(after removing some of the wm files(i followed the site on which files you can and cannot remove)) i tried to test flash and it just stays on the verizon bootscreen. im guessing i messed up but not sure where

also in the one point of the building where you have the 2 option files. i renamed the 1 but kept them both inside the build. is that correct? if not which file do i keep since they are different sizes

Guest amdzero
so testing after reading the 3rd part of the guide(after removing some of the wm files(i followed the site on which files you can and cannot remove)) i tried to test flash and it just stays on the verizon bootscreen. im guessing i messed up but not sure where

also in the one point of the building where you have the 2 option files. i renamed the 1 but kept them both inside the build. is that correct? if not which file do i keep since they are different sizes

if it is goin to the verizon boot load screen, then it is probably something you did with sys. If there is a xip error, you usually don't get to the verizon screen.

If there are two files with the same name don't just rename one, you have to delete one and keep the other, otherwise you run the risk of haveing .dsm errors/.rgu double entries, or even unnecessary duplicate files (no matter how small, they still take up space).

If you cannot figure out which one do keep/delete, post the name on here and I'll look into it.

Guest Mr.DunnDunn
if it is goin to the verizon boot load screen, then it is probably something you did with sys. If there is a xip error, you usually don't get to the verizon screen.

If there are two files with the same name don't just rename one, you have to delete one and keep the other, otherwise you run the risk of haveing .dsm errors/.rgu double entries, or even unnecessary duplicate files (no matter how small, they still take up space).

If you cannot figure out which one do keep/delete, post the name on here and I'll look into it.

It was the option.xml where it gave you two of them after yopu added both the SYS_23569_192DPI_0409 and SYS_23569_Common in the same folder. The option.xml files are 2 different sizes

I guess i'll have to restore my SYS folder cause I dont know what file messed up. Is there certain bootfiles in that folder? I know i deleted the alert files and ringers but i dont think that would be a problem besides no startup sound

Guest xlightwaverx
yeah the 21911 is 6.5 use my guide to port it.

What guide? the 3 part? I have Sys exposed, but I pretty much removed the

XIP portion, replaced it with the new.

I have version*_192 and a version_common if I remember correctly, what's the dif?

and when i build, i get all kinds of options. dont know which ones i need or not, cause they're all windows components.

X

Guest Mr.DunnDunn

I have version*_192 and a version_common if I remember correctly, what's the dif?

and when i build, i get all kinds of options. dont know which ones i need or not, cause they're all windows components.

X

you could use this guide here

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/sear...lient=firefox-a

the original page was gone so i had to use the cache on google

Guest amdzero

X

If you guys need a certain build, I can make a kitchen for you.

The Option.xml is an optional file (no pun intended) you can remove both, or you can rename one and keep the other. These files don't get cooked in, they only tell BuildOS what you want to cook in.

As for the 192 and common, you need both. The common are folders that all winmo devices can use, and the 192 folder are specific files for wvga devices. It has files with resolutions 480x800.

Usually when I port a new sys/zip, I'll do one or the other first, and see if it boots. Then I'll do the other so that I can tell where it fails, if it doesn't boot.

Guest xlightwaverx

The Option.xml is an optional file (no pun intended) you can remove both, or you can rename one and keep the other. These files don't get cooked in, they only tell BuildOS what you want to cook in.

As for the 192 and common, you need both. The common are folders that all winmo devices can use, and the 192 folder are specific files for wvga devices. It has files with resolutions 480x800.

Usually when I port a new sys/zip, I'll do one or the other first, and see if it boots. Then I'll do the other so that I can tell where it fails, if it doesn't boot.

So...

I dump the SYS folder.

I dump the XIP folder.

I put the XIP rar into the XIP folder.

I put the common and 192 in the ... what is it... the SYS folder where the files look similar.

but I put the common in first, because, it's, the common drivers.

Then i put the 192 in after because its the 480x800 wvga drivers.

then when/if it fails, I remove the files from common extraction, and keep trying to build, once it works, the sys is now complete.

That sound right :angry:

X

Edit: Actually, wouldn't it be better to do 192 files first, compile, flash, and see what windows "needs" after flashing. I'd hate to have common and 192 in there and only need some common files. Kabeesh?

X

Edited by xlightwaverx

Guest WinJo69

Can I take you up on your offer!?! I've been trying for some time to upgrade to 21911, but I always find myself with one error or another. I've been leaving 100% in it for the start, (just taking out whats required to make it compile), but I still have issues. Frustrating.

Guest Ninja4Hire
Can I take you up on your offer!?! I've been trying for some time to upgrade to 21911, but I always find myself with one error or another. I've been leaving 100% in it for the start, (just taking out whats required to make it compile), but I still have issues. Frustrating.

Funny because I was getting errors with 21911. That is why my latest build is 21909. I kinda want 21911 so I may try again, but by the time I get it working 912 or something will be out.

Guest WinJo69
Funny because I was getting errors with 21911. That is why my latest build is 21909. I kinda want 21911 so I may try again, but by the time I get it working 912 or something will be out.

OK so it may not be ME!! ( LOL) - I will try again again with 21909

Edit I don't see 21909 on the kitchen site - Can you point me to it please?

Edited by WinJo69

Guest Ninja4Hire
OK so it may not be ME!! ( LOL) - I will try again again with 21909

Edit I don't see 21909 on the kitchen site - Can you point me to it please?

Yeah JooJooBee doesn't have it listed so I got it from XDA: http://www.mobileunderground.info/asusmobi...GA_WVGA_0409.7z

They format them a little different, so just a heads up. You will need to delete a lot of files from the SYS (480 resv 640, 240 resv 320, and DPI_96)

Guest unchoney

When removing mod and vod or communities etc, are we suppose to go into the 38 reg in oem apps to change or remove stuff? I keep hitting a wall .. i have tried to remove all the vz stuff(all at once) and when i flash the rom all the main menu icons are gone? I know i will have to probably remove one at a time to figure out which one i shoud not have remarked but wondering if i am missing a step.

Guest amdzero
When removing mod and vod or communities etc, are we suppose to go into the 38 reg in oem apps to change or remove stuff? I keep hitting a wall .. i have tried to remove all the vz stuff(all at once) and when i flash the rom all the main menu icons are gone? I know i will have to probably remove one at a time to figure out which one i shoud not have remarked but wondering if i am missing a step.

nope thats what I did. The mainmenu is actually populated through a provxml file at initial boot. I was just talking about this with xlightwaverx the other night. Without going into GREAT detail...

The .rgu files as parsed by BuildOS into two files called \temp\dump\default.hv and \temp\dump\user.hv

this makes up the initial boot registry for your device.

the provxml files (there are actaully quite a few) are parsed by Windows Mobile upon initial boot.

so in other words you could have a registry item set in a .rgu but if a provxml overrides it, you may not even know that your reg edit doesn't take.

look at \OEM\OEM_Lang_0409\mxipcold_zzzOEM_001.provxml

and the items label ...cube\menu01items are the mainmenu screens with the icons in the 4 rows.

Guest unchoney
nope thats what I did. The mainmenu is actually populated through a provxml file at initial boot. I was just talking about this with xlightwaverx the other night. Without going into GREAT detail...

The .rgu files as parsed by BuildOS into two files called \temp\dump\default.hv and \temp\dump\user.hv

this makes up the initial boot registry for your device.

the provxml files (there are actaully quite a few) are parsed by Windows Mobile upon initial boot.

so in other words you could have a registry item set in a .rgu but if a provxml overrides it, you may not even know that your reg edit doesn't take.

look at \OEM\OEM_Lang_0409\mxipcold_zzzOEM_001.provxml

and the items label ...cube\menu01items are the mainmenu screens with the icons in the 4 rows.

Ok went back and started with just taking out the links and exe. files for vz(in the .exe file i had been just deleting the name of file and .exe out of line now the only thing i leave is the number and #) i do not now if that made a difference or not also left cityid and communities in, could not find those in the inidat file. Was up till early morning trying to get through the whole porting thing! I did not get the build osbox after porting the sys folder but it still ran the buildrom black screen and built a flashable rom without error message other than build os stopped working when first initializing. So i went ahead and tried porting 21911 again got the buildos has stopped working but ran the other screen with no errors tried to flash and it stuck on the first boot screen so back to the drawing board but will try to use 23569 instead. I did have one problem with the xip kitchen...it did not contain the dump.cmd dump.exe file in the tools folder so i just copied the one from the i920 kithcen and ran it at the end of the instructions... was that maybe a problem as well? And how can i get the xip kithchen with it inif that is what i need?

Guest amdzero
Ok went back and started with just taking out the links and exe. files for vz(in the .exe file i had been just deleting the name of file and .exe out of line now the only thing i leave is the number and #) i do not now if that made a difference or not also left cityid and communities in, could not find those in the inidat file. Was up till early morning trying to get through the whole porting thing! I did not get the build osbox after porting the sys folder but it still ran the buildrom black screen and built a flashable rom without error message other than build os stopped working when first initializing. So i went ahead and tried porting 21911 again got the buildos has stopped working but ran the other screen with no errors tried to flash and it stuck on the first boot screen so back to the drawing board but will try to use 23569 instead. I did have one problem with the xip kitchen...it did not contain the dump.cmd dump.exe file in the tools folder so i just copied the one from the i920 kithcen and ran it at the end of the instructions... was that maybe a problem as well? And how can i get the xip kithchen with it inif that is what i need?

I'm not sure about xip kitchen, when I did the test, I downloaded the tools just like I never had it installed. It worked fine for me. Porting a xip is a bit tricky as the guide suggests, and almost everytime I do it, I skip a step or forget something inevitably creating an unbootable rom. Thankfully there has NOT been a COM5 build in quite some time.

If you need a xip from ANY build, just port what one, and I'll port it for you. I've done this for others and will do it for anyone who asks.

Guest xlightwaverx

What is this "Guide" to porting you keep referencing? I keep winging it and it seems to come out ok cept for the LG one I did. Is there something I can go by?

Tonight I am going to put some HTC Rhodium Sense Packages onto 21664 (HTC OS) with i920 Drivers and see where it takes me :(

X

I just gotta wait for the rugrats to hit the hay first.

I'm not sure about xip kitchen, when I did the test, I downloaded the tools just like I never had it installed. It worked fine for me. Porting a xip is a bit tricky as the guide suggests, and almost everytime I do it, I skip a step or forget something inevitably creating an unbootable rom. Thankfully there has NOT been a COM5 build in quite some time.

If you need a xip from ANY build, just port what one, and I'll port it for you. I've done this for others and will do it for anyone who asks.

Guest amdzero
What is this "Guide" to porting you keep referencing? I keep winging it and it seems to come out ok cept for the LG one I did. Is there something I can go by?

Tonight I am going to put some HTC Rhodium Sense Packages onto 21664 (HTC OS) with i920 Drivers and see where it takes me :(

X

I just gotta wait for the rugrats to hit the hay first.

See this thread, 3rd post for the porting sys/xip guide.

Guest unchoney

Well some what successfully ported 23569.. the microsoft emblem at lower left does not do anything,lost the today screen even windows default did not work properly, and i lost my data connection settings but it booted and seemed to do everything else...still need to fine tune a bit...flashing back to your 2.0 sense rom so i can work on some more later...any idea what i missed to loose the data settings and not have the flag on bottom left not working?

Guest amdzero
Well some what successfully ported 23569.. the microsoft emblem at lower left does not do anything,lost the today screen even windows default did not work properly, and i lost my data connection settings but it booted and seemed to do everything else...still need to fine tune a bit...flashing back to your 2.0 sense rom so i can work on some more later...any idea what i missed to loose the data settings and not have the flag on bottom left not working?

That is odd on both accounts. the flag should bring the startmenu up, even if it is just a blank screen. Try the cab I JUST posted when you try your rom again, and see if it is a problem with the flag, or if the startmenu is missing altogether.

The data connection I have not found the exact location of it, but I suspect there is a .provxml in OEM\ somewhere that sets the parameters. you can still setup your data connection if the settings aren't set, I've done it before when it didn't work. Thats not ideal as you don't want to have to do this everytime you reflash, but for testing purposes, just go to WM-settings>connection>connections>add a new modem... make sure it says cellular and then dial #777. You don't need username/password/domain, just click next and it should work.

Guest unchoney
That is odd on both accounts. the flag should bring the startmenu up, even if it is just a blank screen. Try the cab I JUST posted when you try your rom again, and see if it is a problem with the flag, or if the startmenu is missing altogether.

The data connection I have not found the exact location of it, but I suspect there is a .provxml in OEM\ somewhere that sets the parameters. you can still setup your data connection if the settings aren't set, I've done it before when it didn't work. Thats not ideal as you don't want to have to do this everytime you reflash, but for testing purposes, just go to WM-settings>connection>connections>add a new modem... make sure it says cellular and then dial #777. You don't need username/password/domain, just click next and it should work.

I do not have winmo settings? just samsung settings...now i am getting an error message when i hit the build new xip...the jit debuuger comes up and says not enough space on a certain button???which cab are you talking about do not see one here?

edit: ok got the main menu to work( was selecting the vga instesd of wvga) i know newbie error! but still no winmo settings to add modem to get the internet and the back arrow disappears but hitting the blank square still takes the screen back.

edit2: used the samsung settings to get to add modem and the #777 still no connection(although i get the emblems at the top)

Edited by unchoney