OOPS!!

Guest ED2O9

Thanks to amdzero, I was able to replace the bitmap files of the original wait cursor. I saved the updated DLL, and copied it to My Storage. As a precaution, I copied the original shellres.192.dll to my SD card, then overwrote the one in Windows with the updated one. After a soft reset, a bunch of the Windows icons were screwed up (folders in Resco Explorer show up as contacts, the background boxes in SPB shell are file transfer icons, etc). So, I copied the original file back from my SD card and reset the phone again, but it didn't make a difference. Even though the original file is back in the WIndows folder, my icons are still screwed up. One thing I did notice was that when I overwrote the original dll, Resco Explorer gave me a warning that I was overwriting a system file that was part of the ROM and asked for permission. Since then, when I overwrite the Windows dll, I don't get any such warning. What did I do wrong, and is there a way to fix it?

Thanks for any and all help!

Guest ED2O9

I'm guessing I have to resign the dll before I write it back to the Windows folder. I found a copy of Mssigner and will try to resign the updated dll. In the mean time, can anyone explain in layman's terms what the reason is for signing system files, and what is actually done to the file?

Thanks

Guest amdzero
I'm guessing I have to resign the dll before I write it back to the Windows folder. I found a copy of Mssigner and will try to resign the updated dll. In the mean time, can anyone explain in layman's terms what the reason is for signing system files, and what is actually done to the file?

Thanks

I'm not exactly sure why you need to sign a system file. I do know that if you replace a dll with one that is not signed, it will NOT work at all. I could not get any of my dlls to load after booting a cooked rom. That is why I have not release any of my taskbar icons in cab form. Every cab I make screws up the icons completely.

Not sure what signing actually does, but if you want to use the dll you should cook it in as that is the only way I know how. If anyone can tell us why this is happening, that would be great!

Guest ED2O9

Quick update. I was able to restore the original icons by deleting the shellres.192.dll from the Windows folder and soft resetting. WinMo retrieved the original dll from the ROM and everything is back to normal..I still have the big, chunky "dusk" wait cursor, but I'll deal with that later.