How to: Root phone and install Android v.2.1

Guest eckengucker1

Guest Daniel Williamson
Yeh, did it in Recovery mode, won't work. Charged my phone to 100% battery. Tried it on my pc, not connected to any power, and connection to power (not on pc)....

Every time the same error.... :) ;)

And you have an sd card in the phone with a folder named nandroid on it ?

Dan

Guest escudo
And you have an sd card in the phone with a folder named nandroid on it ?

Dan

Yeh... did that :) but.. its the 2gb card which came with the phone... is that too small :\??

EDIT: Can't be too small... normal nand backup takes about 150mb... got 1.7gb free... probably a different problem :S

Edited by escudo

Guest Daniel Williamson

So can you do a normal nandroid ? if yes then id just stick with that, if your only switching roms then it will work fine :)

Dan

Guest escudo
So can you do a normal nandroid ? if yes then id just stick with that, if your only switching roms then it will work fine :)

Dan

Ah, alright! Then what does the '+ ext thingy' do?

I'll just stick with the normal nand backup then, thanks!

Guest Azurren
Tried that. Can reach all data through pc, but it wont do the Nand + ext flash... :\

:D

Nandroid + ext doesn't work for me either. Using normal nandroid works fine so it may be best to change your guide to avoid posts with peoples errors :)

Donno why it doesn't work.. Yes I do actaully! Scrap what I said above a nandroid + ext backup also backs-up your ext apps2sd partition. It will only work if you use apps2sd. (Which most people following your guide will not have ;) )

Also formatting your memory card is strictly optional and can lead to more problems. You may want to mark this on your guide as "Optional Advanced "

Edit: You may want to change "r4 or rev4" To "The latest version or revision of the 2.1 rom" or something along those lines as rev6 has already been released. You don't want to have to change it every time do you? :(

Edited by Azurren

Guest eckengucker1
Good and clear guide! Thanks a lot for your explanation!

Let me also add some corrects:

Should be

T-Mobile Pulse or Huawei 8220 phone

changed, thanks!

Guest n4nick
Will this work on non t-mobile u8230s? I had trouble rooting the 1.5 before..

Sorry dude, only for 8220 phones. 8230s touchscreen may not work with 2.1. Just try it but don't forget creating a Backup!

Let us know if you try - I have an U8230 so also very interested. I read on another thread that the U8230 needs a different boot.img - does anyone know if this is true and how difficult it would be to create a new ROM based on the U8220/Pulse one above, but with the U8230 boot.img?

Guest david_dawkins
2) The vibrate function doesn't work (only "normal 8220") / works with 8220-6

Does this mean "Vibrate function works with 8220 and 8220-6 only"?

Great guide, thanks.

Dave

Guest eckengucker1
Nandroid + ext doesn't work for me either. Using normal nandroid works fine so it may be best to change your guide to avoid posts with peoples errors :)

Donno why it doesn't work.. Yes I do actaully! Scrap what I said above a nandroid + ext backup also backs-up your ext apps2sd partition. It will only work if you use apps2sd. (Which most people following your guide will not have ;) )

Also formatting your memory card is strictly optional and can lead to more problems. You may want to mark this on your guide as "Optional Advanced "

Edit: You may want to change "r4 or rev4" To "The latest version or revision of the 2.1 rom" or something along those lines as rev6 has already been released. You don't want to have to change it every time do you? :D

Hints added

Does this mean "Vibrate function works with 8220 and 8220-6 only"?

Great guide, thanks.

Dave

As far as I know yes.

Guest mr.a
OK for anyone who can't flash R6 with APPS2SD:

(this has been tested on Windows XP)

DO A NANDROID BACKUP BEFORE FOLLOWING THIS PROCEDURE

make sure that you have ADB installed and set up on your computer

Boot your phone into recovery mode ( red (end)+menu + power button)

Go to "wipe" and wipe to factory reset, wipe dalvik, and wipe SD:ext

Go back and choose "partition"and partition your sd card as follows:

Swap = 0 , Ext2= 512 (recommended), Fat32 = remaining

Go back and choose USB-MS toggle and copy the update.zip folder to the sd card

Disable USB-MS toggle and go to flash zip, and choose the update.zip folder.

when the flashing process is done go to command prompt(cmd.exe) in your computer.

type the following commands:

adb remount

when its been successful type:

adb shell mkdir /system/sd

when thats done reboot your your phone phone via th recovery mode by choosing "reboot"

and you are ready to go ( it can take 1-3 minutes to go past the Android logo)

At no point should the SD card be taken out the phone (during this whole process).

The chance that you will brick your phone with this is 0.000001% but i am still not responsible for whatever

happens to your phone.

I had written this little guide for flashing R6 with A2SD. Maybe you can include this in your tutorial. :)

Edited by mr.a

Guest eckengucker1
I had written this little guide for flashing R6 with A2SD. Maybe you can include this in your tutorial. :)

I pretty sure that isn't nessesary because Paul'll fix it with r7.

Guest tabor56

this is gonna sound a bit of a stupid question, but how do i install those drivers? when I try connect my phone to my pc when at the blue screen it wont recognise the phone even though it does normally. I'm completely new to installing roms.

Guest eckengucker1
this is gonna sound a bit of a stupid question, but how do i install those drivers? when I try connect my phone to my pc when at the blue screen it wont recognise the phone even though it does normally. I'm completely new to installing roms.

Please ask in the correct thread.

Guest quentintravers

I've got 2.1 installed now! Thanks to BigBear for doing this. However, I've got three issue

1) Random reboots

2) It randomly hangs and i have to reboot to make it work

3) Whenever i get asked to grant root access to an application m(i.e. the "SU Request") I only get a blank screen and eventually the "Sorry! Application is not reponding" message.

Anyone got any clues?

Guest eckengucker1
I've got 2.1 installed now! Thanks to BigBear for doing this. However, I've got three issue

1) Random reboots

2) It randomly hangs and i have to reboot to make it work

3) Whenever i get asked to grant root access to an application m(i.e. the "SU Request") I only get a blank screen and eventually the "Sorry! Application is not reponding" message.

Anyone got any clues?

searchfunction+http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile-pulse-pulse-modaco-com/308392/13-may-r6-bigbearmdc-and-pauls-pulse-2-1-rom/

Guest Daniel Williamson

Hi all these problems have been noted but you can solve the 3rd one by enabling usb debug mode in applications>Development

Dan

Guest quentintravers
Hi all these problems have been noted but you can solve the 3rd one by enabling usb debug mode in applications>Development

Dan

Thanks Dan. That works perfectly. I had disabled that during the update.