How to: Root phone and install Android v.2.1

Guest eckengucker1

Guest lukkezeh

I am having a problem when i'm rebooting after installing R6.1. my phone is constantly displaying the word android and won't start completely. Could someone tell me what i am doing wrong?

Guest aldaweb
I am having a problem when i'm rebooting after installing R6.1. my phone is constantly displaying the word android and won't start completely. Could someone tell me what i am doing wrong?

I found the A2SD+ version hangs at that point with the SD card inserted but boots up without it and the card can be inserted after booting, though if the phone reboots it hangs again. The no A2SD version doesn't hang, at least at that point. Still suffers the force closes though.

Edited by aldaweb

Guest giryan

Step 1(rooting the phone) is completely unnecessary, you're installing a ROM that is rooted.

if you just skip that step you'll end up in exactly the same place

(except you won't have messed with your original ROM before backing it up)

Guest eckengucker1
Step 1(rooting the phone) is completely unnecessary, you're installing a ROM that is rooted.

if you just skip that step you'll end up in exactly the same place

(except you won't have messed with your original ROM before backing it up)

If you install e.g. 1.5 you'll need this step. Thats more an universal tutorial.

Guest giryan
If you install e.g. 1.5 you'll need this step. Thats more an universal tutorial.

If you install the december update, and the correct recovery image, then you can boot into recovery without needing to root the ROM. Just power on with Menu + Red button.

The only reason you might need it is if you're totally uninterested in installing a custom ROM, and given what the howto's about, it's not really the subject of the tutorial is it?

• 1 month later...
Guest Steven Lloyd
If you install the december update, and the correct recovery image, then you can boot into recovery without needing to root the ROM. Just power on with Menu + Red button.

The only reason you might need it is if you're totally uninterested in installing a custom ROM, and given what the howto's about, it's not really the subject of the tutorial is it?

ok so i am a idiot and did not install the dec update before installing the hu 2.1 update and does not seem to connect with pc now ? (also did not back up i know i know ) i can do most of phone stuff but i am sure its ....not right im i screwed now?

Thanks guys

Guest ultraa

Hi, can somebody please help?

I am trying to root my phone, but when I apply "install-superboot-windows.bat" in XP, I can see a DOS window comes up saying "sending 'boot' (1944KB)... OKAY", but I am not seeing "Writing Superboot (xyz Bytes)" on the pluse screen.

Then I try move the dalvik-cache to the sd card by typing

a2sd cachesd (move dalvik to sd card)

but the terminal told me my phone has not been rooted.

In bootloader mode, I am seeing this:

USB Fastboot: V0.5

Machine ID: 1007000 v0

Build Date: Apr 19 2010, 10:20:03

MSM Id: 16

MSM Version: 2.0

Modem Build Id: 76XXC-6383-SDCBALYM

Serial Number: UNKNOWN

ptn 0 name='boot' start=304 len=20

ptn 1 name='system' start=324 len=880

ptn 2 name='userdata' start=1024 len=642

ptn 3 name='cache' start=1846 len=160

ptn 4 name='recovery' start=2006 len=38

ptn 5 name='misc' start=2044 len=4

Guest yelong
Hmm.... i have a problem.

When trying these steps:

"- go to "Backup/Restore" (using joystick)

- open "Nand + ext backup"

- confirm with green-key"

I get the following message:

error : Run 'nandroid-mobile.sh' via adb!

What is the problem :S?!

Tried to do the 'Nand backup' only, and that did work...

Thanks in advance

Maybe the capacity of your sd card is too small.

Guest Ivann149

Hello everyone. I've tried several times to write the boot and recovery and everything goes right to here but at the 3 step my phone doesn't display the screen like on the picture and he boot's like the first time (the blue screen when i need to write the boot and the recovery).Can someone help me please?

P.S. Sorry for the bad English i'm from Macedonia :( .

Guest Azurren
Hello everyone. I've tried several times to write the boot and recovery and everything goes right to here but at the 3 step my phone doesn't display the screen like on the picture and he boot's like the first time (the blue screen when i need to write the boot and the recovery).Can someone help me please?

P.S. Sorry for the bad English i'm from Macedonia :( .

This guide is a little outdated :(

Try this one: http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...e-owners-guide/

(The 2.1 rom with this guide is very unstable)

Guest rx78nt1

The phone really made me disappointed.............

just keep rebooting today and I didn't bring a spare phone so I missed something important.

Thanks to Huawei. :(

Guest Azurren
The phone really made me disappointed.............

just keep rebooting today and I didn't bring a spare phone so I missed something important.

Thanks to Huawei. :(

Are you running the old 2.1 bodge job or the official 2.1?

FLB mod and I haven't had a reboot in ages

• 3 months later...
Guest samuel an

I think I screwed up the phone by not applying the "December Update" first before I proceed to step 1 through 6, and apparently there is some kind of error that rolled up too fast to see at the end of "verifying update package" in step 6. The Nandroid at step 3 didn't work for me, so I don't have a back up. Now the U8220 (non T-Mobile) is not able to boot into android. Is there a way to make it work again? It was Android 1.5 firmware. I'd like to have 2.1. This phone is for my play purpose, but nevertheless I'd like to have android 2.1 up and running on it. Any help is appreciated.