[ALL USERS! USB-disabling ("bricking") issue] - Data gathering

Guest afiorillo

Guest Fiouz
Devices have to be added into this investigation as long as the recovery console was used on them, regardless of what kind of operation the users have done or not have done. ;)

OK. What's the recovery console? Is it the screen you get by keeping 'Back' pressed when turning the phone on? Sorry for asking dumb questions (is this topic really targeted at all Desire users out there?)

Guest Elbereth

Fiouz> The recovery console is the one you get when rooting the phone (during step 2). If you did not do that you never had the risk of "usb-bricking" your phone, therefore answering this form is irrelevant for you.

Guest afiorillo
OK. What's the recovery console? Is it the screen you get by keeping 'Back' pressed when turning the phone on? Sorry for asking dumb questions (is this topic really targeted at all Desire users out there?)

That's HBOOT. The recovery console is the screen "pushed" from the computer to the Desire by the script launched during step2.

And, yes: all users are asked to join this as success cases are needed to point out failures. :rolleyes:

Edited by afiorillo

Guest PaulW21781

Question...

Regarding "bricked" population... What percentage were using non-stock cable that WEREN'T using a USB hub??

Guest afiorillo
Question...

Regarding "bricked" population... What percentage were using non-stock cable that WEREN'T using a USB hub??

As few as 4 on 15 "bricked" guys. Why are you asking?

Guest Biliskner
Is there anyone, that used the stock cable without hub and still bricked?

Me.

I used stock cable and directly plugged into USB port at back of motherboard.

This was also said in the other thread - kingoffail and seb also did the same, stock, no usb-hub and they bricked too

(we all bricked on r1, a few hours after Paul released his first 'version' of root....)

Guest Biliskner

I think it's pretty clear it's NOT your usb cable or ports or etc. other things.

It's definitely something to do with recovery method AND certain revisions of certain Desire's hardware (things to do with NAND memory etc.).

NONE of us who bricked 'unplugged' our cable during a flash and / or 'wiggle' the cable or something stupid like that. Come on, almost all of us have rooted other devices before, the 1 (ONE) thing you DO NOT do is "play" with your device/cable/connection/computer/electricity-from-your-house/UPS etc. etc. when you're "flashing"...

This is especially MORE clear if people who BUILD ROMs have bricked Desires, EG: evil D: ...

amirite?

Guest eViL D:
I think it's pretty clear it's NOT your usb cable or ports or etc. other things.

It's definitely something to do with recovery method AND certain revisions of certain Desire's hardware (things to do with NAND memory etc.).

NONE of us who bricked 'unplugged' our cable during a flash and / or 'wiggle' the cable or something stupid like that. Come on, almost all of us have rooted other devices before, the 1 (ONE) thing you DO NOT do is "play" with your device/cable/connection/computer/electricity-from-your-house/UPS etc. etc. when you're "flashing"...

This is especially MORE clear if people who BUILD ROMs have bricked Desires, EG: evil D: ...

amirite?

Unfortunately, yes...... I've never flashed a device with the recovery pushed to the phone.....

Judging from the Poll (66+ bricks now), this is not a small group. And, I don't think anyone that flashes is generally an idiot. Yeah, some bricks could be explained by accidental drops, battery pulls during flashing. The statistics seem to point that there is not one other thing, besides the recovery that is the problem.

Guest Loccy

I still think this is meaningless without the stats on bootloops.

I've yet to see any conclusive proof it isn't due to this, and that chunk of code in the kernel that basically says, translated to English, "if three failed boots, disable usb, radio, and SD and try again' is a smoking gun that hasn't seen enough study imo. I'm not saying that three bootloops equals brick. But possibly three bootloops plus another factor we haven't identified equals brick.

As an aside, am I right in thinking that your stats reflect that all bricked devices were done with a PC (regardless of os), whereas Macs haven't had a brick yet?

Guest afiorillo
I still think this is meaningless without the stats on bootloops.

I'm pretty sure that boot loops have nothing to do with this, there are way more evident symptoms which are already statistically proven to lead to "brick".

However, in a second stage, we can isolate a subset of cases and apply that criteria too: now it's too late to insert it.

[...] that chunk of code in the kernel that basically says, translated to English, "if three failed boots, disable usb, radio, and SD and try again' is a smoking gun that hasn't seen enough study imo.

Can you please link to it?

But possibly three bootloops plus another factor we haven't identified equals brick.

Have you considered that there are many people that "bricked" without bootlooping at all? :rolleyes: That is the main reason I don't consider it as a (co)cause.

As an aside, am I right in thinking that your stats reflect that all bricked devices were done with a PC (regardless of os), whereas Macs haven't had a brick yet?

That is not true, user 'pina' "bricked" his (her?) desire under Mac; one user out of 12 reflects the MacOS population out there, so it seems OK.

Guest squrl

Hi guys, I want to share my experience with bootloops: [Link]

Already thought I am bricked for good, but I guess bootlooping won't play any role in USB-bricking.

Guest Snarkasm

I didn't bootloop at all when I bricked - pushed recovery, attempted a nandroid backup, failed the backup, rebooted the phone, bricked. Bootlooping is not the issue unless pushing recovery screws up that switch.

Guest ascito

I had a couple of time the Custom Recovery console flickering, but I am keeping on flashing without a problem...I hope...:$

Guest madmic

Just a thought - what about AntiVirus programs??? Some of them like Norton Internet Killer... er Security :( are pretty heavy at how they lock things down... maybe it would be good to know if people are turning off AV and what version they use???

Guest afiorillo
Just a thought - what about AntiVirus programs??? [...]

People manage to "brick" their device under MacOS and Linux...

Guest xTc is loVe
People manage to "brick" their device under MacOS and Linux...

I bicked my device so:

Full Format of SDCard + NEW Ext.

Pushed Modaco r3 Kitchen ROM with APPS2sd via USB/MS Toogle +

Flashed update without an Error.

Boot=bootloop

decided to go back to recovery....BRICKED =( ALL my old Data was on the SdCard ! I formattet it via Recovery before flashing!

Its the Rooting Method!

Edit: Maybe its good/possible to only INstall Busybox and to do all the flashing stuff via Console and adb commands? o.O

Edited by xTc is loVe

Guest TheScrub
I bicked my device so:

Full Format of SDCard + NEW Ext.

Pushed Modaco r3 Kitchen ROM with APPS2sd via USB/MS Toogle +

Flashed update without an Error.

Boot=bootloop

decided to go back to recovery....BRICKED =( ALL my old Data was on the SdCard ! I formattet it via Recovery before flashing!

Its the Rooting Method!

Edit: Maybe its good/possible to only INstall Busybox and to do all the flashing stuff via Console and adb commands? o.O

One thing I neglected to do was wipe any data from my device prior to rooting and my desire's fine, although I wouldn't risk it again without a fix for this problem.

Could the wiping process have something to do with this?

Guest Loccy
Can you please link to (the bit in the kernel code that suggests three bootloops and usb brick)?

Sure.

http://android.modaco.com/content-page/307...-a2sd/page/580/ (post 590).

I am no kernel dev but this seems a bit too close to the mark.

Have you considered that there are many people that "bricked" without bootlooping at all? :( That is the main reason I don't consider it as a (co)cause.

I suspect that there are people who might not have noticed a bootloop as well!

Guest afiorillo
Sure.

http://android.modaco.com/content-page/307...-a2sd/page/580/ (post 590).

I am no kernel dev but this seems a bit too close to the mark. [...]

That's a simple function that attempts for three times to ping some data thorough a channel (an USB-based one, it seems) and, if failed, prints out a message to the console (stdout). No catastrophic disables there. :(

As a side note, please consider that no code like that can survive a reboot.

For the curious, dev-aware people, here's the code of the called functions. As you can see, nothing harmful.

Edited by afiorillo

Guest eViL D:
It's not the rooting method.

Actually, rooting does require you to go through recovery. :(

But, it's been confirmed that ppl have bricked rooting and bricked doing r5.

Edited by eViL D: