Google maps

Guest xkill3rprox

Hi,

I'm having problems with my Google Maps application, If i'm connected through my Wi-Fi it will show My Location.

But if i'm on GPRS, it will say My Location currently unavailable. So is it my GPRS problem or application problem?

& i have 2 Google maps application, one from the ROM itself and another i found on Google Site/Some other forums( the one with voice function).

This happens for both the Google Maps application, but it gets really annoying when i'm traveling outside not knowing where am i.

I did not have this problem when i'm using JD1 ROM but after flashing JE1 ROM i have this problem.

Is there any possible fix for this?

Guest skoda60
Hi,

I'm having problems with my Google Maps application, If i'm connected through my Wi-Fi it will show My Location.

But if i'm on GPRS, it will say My Location currently unavailable. So is it my GPRS problem or application problem?

& i have 2 Google maps application, one from the ROM itself and another i found on Google Site/Some other forums( the one with voice function).

This happens for both the Google Maps application, but it gets really annoying when i'm traveling outside not knowing where am i.

I did not have this problem when i'm using JD1 ROM but after flashing JE1 ROM i have this problem.

Is there any possible fix for this?

I used Google map 4.1 on JE2 without any problem.

Done a restore connection and test whether your browser can connected to the internet. If success, then try run Google map. You should be no problem.

Guest xkill3rprox

Done a connection restore through samsung settings, still doesn't work though.

EDIT: I reflashed my phone in to JE3 PDA JE5 CSC JD1 Phone, how ever i'm still getting the same problem with Google Maps.

Sometimes it show's the wrong location, like i'm at the north of Singapore it show's some where else.

Any Singaporean can help out? I'll be greatful if you're a M1 user too(:

Edited by xkill3rprox

Guest ray1234

Well, don't worry this is perfectly normal. For Google Map, Wifi position is using a different mechanism than GPRS positioning. Most of the time, I find the wifi positioning works better than pure GPRS positioning. I also experienced sometimes that GPRS cannot give a position, try turning on the wifi together and even though you cannot get any hotspot signal it still can position with the GPRS. If Google Map shows it cannot position, it simply means that in that particular position you're using Google Map it really has difficulty positioning. Just walk to another place and try to use GPRS positioning again, it should work.

• 5 months later...
Guest bobhero

There is a registry setting that you may need to change to enable "my location" feature without WIFI turned on. I had to do this on my HTC devices. Can't recall what the key is, do a search.

Guest xkill3rprox
There is a registry setting that you may need to change to enable "my location" feature without WIFI turned on. I had to do this on my HTC devices. Can't recall what the key is, do a search.

You didn't get my question, but this is a old thread already. I found out the problem.

If you want Google map to show perfect location reading your GPS must be activated and get a lock. :P

Yes i know about that. The point is, when i'm on GPRS sometimes it shows "Location unavailable" Instead of a blue dot in anywhere i'm near.

Have you turned Location setting to "On" instead of "911 Only"?

Don't get what you mean.

P.S: It's an old thread already, i don't really bother too much already.

Thanks for the replies anyways

Edited by xkill3rprox