30/Jun r5 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero now with Online Kitchen - Android 2.1

Guest PaulOBrien

My only issue (and why I had to roll back to the official Chungwa release) is that I simply could not get the Swype Beta to run. It kept on saying that it wouldn't work at my screen resolution. I don't have the same problem with Chungwa, so I'll wait for MCR 4 now, as losing Swype is too big a deal for me.

I got the email about an updated Swype beta version just the day before I installed r4b3 WIP, so one of my first installs after flashing was the new Swype beta installer followed by the new Swype beta. No problems with it so far. Were you trying to restore a backup of the older version, or maybe freshly installing the old version?

Guest Richard K. Szabo

Mhm I primarily use cygwin when I am not on my linux laptops, but this release of 2.1 has severe issues (read: unable) with connecting to hidden WIFI spots (i.e. at home) so I haven't been using my devices WIFI capabilities since I installed this ROM, hence adb is the only way I can use the native shell.

Thanks for the info; shame there isn't a shell config for adb over usb. Have you tried puttycyg? The only possible downside is you need to have cygwin installed. It gives other benefits such as resizable terminal, command completion & history, as well as handling control codes for colour.

Guest IAmGeef
My only issue (and why I had to roll back to the official Chungwa release) is that I simply could not get the Swype Beta to run. It kept on saying that it wouldn't work at my screen resolution. I don't have the same problem with Chungwa, so I'll wait for MCR 4 now, as losing Swype is too big a deal for me.

I received an email to download the Swype beta this morning, and have been running it fine since 7am.

I'm using the non-A2SD version of this MCR.

Guest jucapo

Made a small experiment: I updated this release (with A2SD+) with the cronosJIT_lock_.zip

Result: Everything still working really fine, plus following benchmark on Linpack:

3.222 MFLOPS in 1.68 sec.

Is this OK? I don't have any clue about what to expect ....

Edited by jucapo

Mine is UHV 5790. Will yours even pair? To pair mine I had to turn on the ignition (but not the engine) it then broadcasts its self for about 10secs, at which point you have to quickly scan and pair with the code '1234'.

Ok different version.

I had no problem pairing the device, I can do it anytime as long as the ignition or the engine is on. The broadcast is permanent.

Guest goatee

That's really odd. Initially, I tried using the old installer, which didn't work. Then I got the email, so uninstalled the old installer, and downloaded the new installer, which didn't work. Then I did a wipe, and did a fresh install of build 3 and tried the new installer, which didn't work. Finally I did another wipe, and updated with Chungwa, and all was well.

I got the email about an updated Swype beta version just the day before I installed r4b3 WIP, so one of my first installs after flashing was the new Swype beta installer followed by the new Swype beta. No problems with it so far. Were you trying to restore a backup of the older version, or maybe freshly installing the old version?

I received an email to download the Swype beta this morning, and have been running it fine since 7am.

I'm using the non-A2SD version of this MCR.

Guest kingkeld
Hi all,

on the topic of battery life I have the folllowing observations.

Firstly at MCR3.2 with data on all day the battery would last 1- 1.5 days.

With MCR 4.0 and the data connection on it lasts less than 1 day, sometimes as little as 0.5.

I did a bit of an experiment yesterday and turned off the data connection instead relying on the wifi (I was in a hotspot) and by the end of the day I had used less than half the battery! Now I hadn't used the phone perhaps as much as I would normally, but even so I find this quite remarkable.

Just thought I would share :)

I HIGHLY recommend Juice Defender with the paid add-on UltimateJuice. It REALLY saves battery for me. I know there is another thread about this, so I will not get into details, just say it is absolutely workth the small price.

Guest Richard K. Szabo

Interesting.

I was previously using SetCPU to slow down the CPU during sleep/standby from 528Mhz to 245Mhz but once again, this release of 2.1 didn't let SetCPU play well -- or am I the only one experiencing this?

I HIGHLY recommend Juice Defender with the paid add-on UltimateJuice. It REALLY saves battery for me. I know there is another thread about this, so I will not get into details, just say it is absolutely workth the small price.

Guest venturerider
I had to roll back to the official Chungwa release

If you don't need apps2sd, that first release is still the best ROM around.

Edited by venturerider

Guest Lenslarque
It seems that I'm experiencing problems with my parrot ck3100 and 2.1 on my Hero. The parrot has the latest firmware 4.22

But something seems to go wrong when they sync. e.g. My contact on the hero has 2 phone numbers for work and home, only work or home will show on the parrot. When somebody calls with a phone number that it is known in my address book on the hero, it will show as a number in the parrots display not the name that is in my address book.

The strange part is.... A couple of days ago everything seems to be working fine, like I at stated in my earlier post above.

I've paired them again to see if this will fixed it..... but it doesn't.

Does anybody has the same experience? Or any ideas to solve this?

I've found out what goes wrong here. I kept getting the error that com.htc.bgp was stopped.... I've searched on this error and read that you need to go to settings>applications>manage applications>contacts Storage and press there the Clear data button. Afterwards your contacts will be synced again with your gmail contacts.

When the sync was complete, my parrot contacts had all the phone numbers that they are supposed to have.

To complete the test I've rebooted my Hero foon and found out that the problem occured again.

Paul does this give you enough information to investigated the issue and hopefully solve it?

Kind regards!

Lenslarque

Guest Smallguy17

Is there a way to fix the fact that the messages you receive is said to be received a minuted before it actually is?

It's quite annoying because if the person you are texting with answers within a minute the massages will appear over the one you just sent ;)

I had this problem with Modaco 3.2 as well (can't remember about the official)...

It does not do it in Handcent but i really hate the looks of it! :(

Guest Alastyr
Is there a way to fix the fact that the messages you receive is said to be received a minuted before it actually is?

It's quite annoying because if the person you are texting with answers within a minute the massages will appear over the one you just sent ;)

I had this problem with Modaco 3.2 as well (can't remember about the official)...

It does not do it in Handcent but i really hate the looks of it! :(

so THAT'S why!

God damn, yeah thats annoying..

I thought it was a bug with chompSMS but apparently not.

Guest uk786

VILLIANROM apparently has 'Live wallpapers!!, Paul please add these to MODOCO, and also could you increase the values of the automatic brightness i.e. more dimmer and more brighter please.

Thanks.

Guest subhramani
so THAT'S why!

God damn, yeah thats annoying..

I thought it was a bug with chompSMS but apparently not.

This issue has been there with all Sense ROMs, whether Cupcake or Eclair.

I havent seen this happening in any of the Vanilla ROMs.

Guest Lynchpin

Would it be possible to include LauncherPro in the kitchen so that users can choose to disable Sense and install use LauncherPro? I'd like to pay up so I can use the oven when the final version was out, and just wondering if that was a way that I could ditch Sense entirely.

Guest Richard K. Szabo

The final (and stable) version of HTCs Android 2.1 will be released within a couple of days, so we can expect that once the "chefs" get a hold of these files they'll update the ROM.

http://www.htc.com/europe/support.aspx

What I am totally provoked by is the part in the announcement; "After installing the update, you can confirm a successful update by confirming the Build number ". Sure, it's logical and correct to check that, but 2.1 differs so much from 1.5, not only design but foremost speed.

This issue has been there with all Sense ROMs, whether Cupcake or Eclair.

I havent seen this happening in any of the Vanilla ROMs.

Guest DirkHartog
any other kind of keyboard is not working...

I too am having keyboard problems. I have installed an r4 with A2SD+ (it runs beautifully BTW). But there is no keyboard working. I can see that I have them installed; Android keyboard, HTC_IME mod (I have tried hi-res and lo-res), Touch Input. None of them give me a keyboard.

I read on http://betterandroid.wordpress.com/2009/05...rd-for-android/ that;

Important: Android’s Keyboard service has bugs, there’s a possiblity you can mess up the keyboard settings when you install or uninstall keyboards from the market. The symptons are: force close message when clicking on text box, or keyboards do not show up even when you enabled it. The easiest fix are:

1. reboot

2. if soft keyboard wont show anymore after reboot, install ANY apps from the market, that will trigger a setting refresh, then the soft keyboard will show up again, not need to reset any settings

That is an Android bug, not ours, we are just giving out some supports since our keyboard app is not free. Any keyboards you get from the market have the same issues.

I am sure that there are plenty of apps from the market, that will trigger a setting refresh, but I can't access the market because it requires me to give my Google Account details and for that, I need to type them in with a keyboard. ;)

Any suggestions for an app which I can download freely via browser which will "trigger a setting refresh"?

Does anyone have any other workarounds for this issue?

Guest Richard K. Szabo

Zeam

http://slideme.org/mobileapp/download/9d74...2313b000c93.apk

I too am having keyboard problems. I have installed an r4 with A2SD+ (it runs beautifully BTW). But there is no keyboard working. I can see that I have them installed; Android keyboard, HTC_IME mod (I have tried hi-res and lo-res), Touch Input. None of them give me a keyboard.

I read on http://betterandroid.wordpress.com/2009/05...rd-for-android/ that;

I am sure that there are plenty of apps from the market, that will trigger a setting refresh, but I can't access the market because it requires me to give my Google Account details and for that, I need to type them in with a keyboard. ;)

Any suggestions for an app which I can download freely via browser which will "trigger a setting refresh"?

Does anyone have any other workarounds for this issue?

Guest Skywrit3r
The final (and stable) version of HTCs Android 2.1 will be released within a couple of days, so we can expect that once the "chefs" get a hold of these files they'll update the ROM.

http://www.htc.com/europe/support.aspx

What I am totally provoked by is the part in the announcement; "After installing the update, you can confirm a successful update by confirming the Build number ". Sure, it's logical and correct to check that, but 2.1 differs so much from 1.5, not only design but foremost speed.

If you read what the new build number will be you can see that the FOTA described on the support page is a new 1.5 ROM

The official 2.1 might even be delayed more. HTC e-club in Sweden sent out this mail about an hour ago.

Programuppdatering för HTC Hero rullas ut

Från och med denna vecka kommer alla som äger en HTC Hero får den första av två uppdateringar av programvara, inklusive den inledande förberedelser för det fullständiga Eclair uppdateringen (Android 2.1). Den andra uppdateringen kommer därefter runt slutet av juni.

Då den andra andra delen av uppgraderingen raderar all data på telefonen, skall HTC Hero ägaren försäkra sig om att all viktig data är synkroniserad innan denne fortsätter med installationen.

För FOTA uppdateringar, rekommenderar vi att ni använder en Wi-Fi-hotspot eller ett fri mobil data abonnemang.

Med vänliga hälsningar

Peter Frölund

HTC

For those of you who don't understand Swedish, the key sentence translates "The second update will arrive around the end of June". That makes me wonder if it has been delayed to the beginning of July which still can be described as "around the end of June".

Edited by Skywrit3r

Guest Richard K. Szabo

I did misread the version-number but I knew that the first release is a preparation. Think I got my facts wrong because of the assumption made by the guys at http://feber.android.se

If you read what the new build number will be you can see that the FOTA described on the support page is a new 1.5 ROM

The official 2.1 might even be delayed more. HTC e-club in Sweden sent out this mail about an hour ago.

For those of you who don't understand Swedish, the key sentence translates "The second update will arrive around the end of June". That makes me wonder if it has been delayed to the beginning of July which still can be described as "around the end of June".

Is there a way to mount the SD card yet? I just get a FC if i try and Connect to PC.... and no option to mount the SD card when I plug it in?

Guest MrBubba999

So how does this compare to Villain ROM 10.3?

I ran V3.2 for a while, but wanted a 2.1 Rom.

Is this one still in the testing phase, or are the bugs ironed out?

Guest Andcr
Btw regarding the kernel, you can use any "android 2.1 kernel" you want, e.g if you need tun device support (for openvpn) or BFS,..whatever just get em from other roms (e.g cronos) or build your own with the leaked kernel sources. If somebody needs it, I have added an update.zip for openvpn (you need a non stock kernel with tun support!!)

thanks a lot for this!

Guest Lynchpin

Hi all.

Just signed up and baked my first ROM. I set up A2SD as well, which seems to be working fine.

Just a question - if I bake a ROM and deselect Rosie but use the upload feature to include the LauncherPro APK, does that mean it'll boot with LauncherPRO working? Or do I need to 'push' it as per Paul's post about disabling Rosie? No idea what pushing is...

Anyways, the ROM seems great so far; thanks for the work Paul. Any advice on the above would be appreciated!