iPhone Today ROM?

Guest ED2O9

I stumbled across this the other day:

http://code.google.com/p/iphonetoday/

I installed it and was amazed at how well it works. It's really fast, easily customized and light on RAM (it runs at around 53-60MB free as opposed to SPB shell which is around 32MB). Although, I'm not a Apple fan, the cleanliness and simplicity of their OS is impressive, so it's very cool to have the option of running a close knock-off on my O2. It's especially fun to switch between Today screens (Titanium, iPhone Today, Manila) with a few touches. I completely blew away a friends who's an iPhone disciple with that trick.

Anyhow, I was wondering it anyone had considered cooking a ROM with the iPhone Today frontend?

Guest pw-man

I installed it and was amazed at how well it works. It's really fast, easily customized and light on RAM (it runs at around 53-60MB free as opposed to SPB shell which is around 32MB). Although, I'm not a Apple fan, the cleanliness and simplicity of their OS is impressive, so it's very cool to have the option of running a close knock-off on my O2. It's especially fun to switch between Today screens (Titanium, iPhone Today, Manila) with a few touches. I completely blew away a friends who's an iPhone disciple with that trick.

Anyhow, I was wondering it anyone had considered cooking a ROM with the iPhone Today frontend?

I don't think anyone has, but you can pick up any of the lightweight roms and run this to great results... I was using with one of Ninja's roms for a while... then went back to MS on NinjaToday... which runs well,.

Guest slimyspartagus

I put Iphone today on top of Yardis full ROM and I haven't found anything better for this phone. It has given me the best battery life - two days just using it lightly - about a full day if I am playing on it all day with games and music.. but it is really stable too and it runs smooth and you get a lot of ram and main storage memory.

And it doesn't make the phone anything like an Iphone, it is still much better than an iphone. it just makes it nice to never have to leave the home screen to get to your programs.

Edited by slimyspartagus

Guest amdzero
Here is my take on the iPhone Today UI (using ZeroSense v1 ROM with Sense disabled) :lol:

Sense disabled? How dare you!!!

Guest xlightwaverx

yeah, something going on with these sense roms. seems like the longer you run the phone the more slower and slower it gets. i have clean ram set to run every 3 hours or something but that still isn't doing the trick.

i am actually using nonsense right now but zerosense does the same.

just restarted the device and the phone took right off. something is slowly eating up resources as the day progresses and i dont know how to track it cause processes and apps(which i always kill) seem the same.

Guest amdzero
yeah, something going on with these sense roms. seems like the longer you run the phone the more slower and slower it gets. i have clean ram set to run every 3 hours or something but that still isn't doing the trick.

just restarted the device and the phone took right off. something is slowly eating up resources as the day progresses and i dont know how to track it cause processes and apps(which i always kill) seem the same.

can you give me a RAM free before you restart?

I want to see how much RAM is being used up before it is uncomfortably slow.

Guest fargot

I notice the same thing everytime I flash a new ROM it seems really good and fast then after a few days or weeks I notice the usual lag come back and the usual slowness of the phone espeically when your in a hurry.

Guest batch519

AMD: After installing and configuring this iPhone UI, I did one more reboot when I left work yesterday at 5:00 pm on my way to golf league.. my RAM after reboot with Sense disabled and iPhone enabled is 79 mb free. I used FreeCaddie, Opera, Email, SMS, Phone, Contacts, all evening and even forgot to close everything except FreeCaddie while it charged overnight. After catching up on this thread a few minutes ago, I checked my RAM, 35 mb. I closed everything and did a RAM clean up and got all the way back to 65 mb. I just did another reboot and now I am back to 79 mb. 15 mb was unrecoverable after about 14 hours.

My experience with using Sense all week, after a reboot I have 47 mb free. I too have noticed that if I don't open any apps, the RAM will still get eaten down to the 20's and even teen's over several hours, this RAM cannot be recovered by CleanRAM or SK Tools FreeUp RAM, you have to reboot or things start running pretty goofy. It does seem to help to disable some of the Sense tabs to help lag and save RAM although I am not positive on this. My estimate for Sense would be about 25-30 mb become unrecoverable without a reboot in about 5-8 hours (depending on use), and I have mine pretty stripped (no animations, only 5 or 6 tabs). My gut is telling me it might have something to do with the HTC Hero Weather/Clock, because I noticed some of the same behavior when using your Full v4 ROM with gChris titanium.

With your lite ROM which I also ran for a week, Titanium stayed fast and RAM was recoverable with a lot less reboots.

Hopefully this helps your analysis!

Guest jezze boi
AMD: After installing and configuring this iPhone UI, I did one more reboot when I left work yesterday at 5:00 pm on my way to golf league.. my RAM after reboot with Sense disabled and iPhone enabled is 79 mb free. I used FreeCaddie, Opera, Email, SMS, Phone, Contacts, all evening and even forgot to close everything except FreeCaddie while it charged overnight. After catching up on this thread a few minutes ago, I checked my RAM, 35 mb. I closed everything and did a RAM clean up and got all the way back to 65 mb. I just did another reboot and now I am back to 79 mb. 15 mb was unrecoverable after about 14 hours.

My experience with using Sense all week, after a reboot I have 47 mb free. I too have noticed that if I don't open any apps, the RAM will still get eaten down to the 20's and even teen's over several hours, this RAM cannot be recovered by CleanRAM or SK Tools FreeUp RAM, you have to reboot or things start running pretty goofy. It does seem to help to disable some of the Sense tabs to help lag and save RAM although I am not positive on this. My estimate for Sense would be about 25-30 mb become unrecoverable without a reboot in about 5-8 hours (depending on use), and I have mine pretty stripped (no animations, only 5 or 6 tabs). My gut is telling me it might have something to do with the HTC Hero Weather/Clock, because I noticed some of the same behavior when using your Full v4 ROM with gChris titanium.

With your lite ROM which I also ran for a week, Titanium stayed fast and RAM was recoverable with a lot less reboots.

Hopefully this helps your analysis!

As you use the phone, some processes use up RAM and don't let it go until you reset

the process that eats up a lot of the RAM is gwes.exe, and it's not a good idea to kill it

others include: cprog.exe, filesys.exe, device.exe, and s2u2.exe

there are others

it may be helpful to reset once a day to get some of the memory back

it is just a pain to know Samsung gave us so little RAM to use in the first place

oh well...

Guest batch519
As you use the phone, some processes use up RAM and don't let it go until you reset

the process that eats up a lot of the RAM is gwes.exe, and it's not a good idea to kill it

others include: cprog.exe, filesys.exe, device.exe, and s2u2.exe

there are others

it may be helpful to reset once a day to get some of the memory back

it is just a pain to know Samsung gave us so little RAM to use in the first place

oh well...

I know, right? A little RAM upgrade is definitely what the doctor ordered... I don't mind rebooting once or twice a day, but lockups and tons of reboots get very annoying, especially at inopportune times.

So basically we are just running into the same old problem with GWES.exe growing and growing which is probably a big reason why Microsoft completely re-wrote the PocketPC operating system for Windows Mobile 7 (Windows Phone). This is also a root cause of why people are converting to Android.. But you know what, I still love this phone and I am having a lot of fun with it. :lol:

Guest jezze boi
I know, right? A little RAM upgrade is definitely what the doctor ordered... I don't mind rebooting once or twice a day, but lockups and tons of reboots get very annoying, especially at inopportune times.

So basically we are just running into the same old problem with GWES.exe growing and growing which is probably a big reason why Microsoft completely re-wrote the PocketPC operating system for Windows Mobile 7 (Windows Phone). This is also a root cause of why people are converting to Android.. But you know what, I still love this phone and I am having a lot of fun with it. :lol:

some HTC Windows Mobile phones don't have to go through this problem

HTC actually gave them a decent amount of RAM

I still prefer this phone because of the AMOLED and better camera than HTC phones (:

Guest NuclearEMP

Could it be that Winmo is adjusting something to help with the graphics and in return is slowing the system.

example: Graphics memory loads up with Sense graphics, phone realizes that memory is low (video memory) so it starts to use main memory (as a reserve) and starts to slow the system (maybe it cant parallel task that well).

this is only a guess. :lol:

Guest muneshyne21

I'm really starting to like this iphone UI not because its like the iphone but more because it really is the least rescource hungry UI I've used so far. After a soft reset I start out with 89-85mb of free ram and it settles down to 78-74 mb. Thats a complete 15mb more than SPB mobile shell and 20 more than Touchwiz. My i920 has never been snappier. Plus with the overclock tool set to 954 mhz, this phone just flies now. I miss my big clock on the today screen but I can live without it. Its also kind of annoying having to search for icons for any new apps you decide to install. Dont write this off as a iphone wannabe, the UI actually stands on its own as a great UI for our RAM challenged i920s

Guest NuclearEMP
I'm really starting to like this iphone UI not because its like the iphone but more because it really is the least rescource hungry UI I've used so far. After a soft reset I start out with 89-85mb of free ram and it settles down to 78-74 mb. Thats a complete 15mb more than SPB mobile shell and 20 more than Touchwiz. My i920 has never been snappier. Plus with the overclock tool set to 954 mhz, this phone just flies now. I miss my big clock on the today screen but I can live without it. Its also kind of annoying having to search for icons for any new apps you decide to install. Dont write this off as a iphone wannabe, the UI actually stands on its own as a great UI for our RAM challenged i920s

I second this, the iphone today is the best so far for speed and memory. it is very customizable and can be use with other today plugins.

Guest kdkinc

IMHO :lol:

iphone & Newmenu are both in the same catagory.

Their both nice looking and work well. Their easy to configure. Use low resources.

However they are not ROM's, Their only U/I's .

The real down side to me is that you have to give up Sense and revert back to the dark ages of using Windows setting. When I look at the past Titanium based U/I's I shutter at the thought of regressing into the past.

Were very fortunate to have (had?) great Chef's and creators of Rom's. They all started with the Titanium Rom's but thankfully they have moved us in to the Sense world.

I used New menu quite a bit in the past however today it's gone.

Ok rant over ,coffee cup empty , bye :D

:D :)

Guest muneshyne21
IMHO :)

Their both nice looking and work well. Their easy to configure. Use low resources.

The real down side to me is that you have to give up Sense and revert back to the dark ages of using Windows setting. When I look at the past Titanium based U/I's I shutter at the thought of regressing into the past.

Were very fortunate to have (had?) great Chef's and creators of Rom's. They all started with the Titanium Rom's but thankfully they have moved us in to the Sense world.

:P B)

Yeah your right about the windows settings but thankfully you can relink everything to samsung skinned WM folders that make the experience a little less "Dark Agey". Plain old non-skinned WM reminds me of Windows 3.1 on a PC :P

Edited by muneshyne21

Guest slimyspartagus
IMHO :)

:P :P

I'm not sure what you want. An Iphonetoday ROM would be the same as a ROM with Iphonetoday installed on it, right? If you are looking for HTC settings to add on to your phone on top of Iphone today, then I think you will have problems. I have flashed a few roms and have noticed that ITD does not run so well on all of them and the battery life is not so great. I have especially noticed that IPT does not run that great on top on Sense. I bought an HTC HD2 and it seems that the Sense settings/update syncing run in the background and kill the battery. Sense is ok for features, but to me it seems to be an unequal trade for its features when it kills the battery and eats the RAM.

But if you really want some of the Sense stuff you could probably find some Sense cabs and install them and use them with the ITD UI.

Guest amdzero

alright so I finally tried out the iphone today ui and I have to say, it is much better than the last time I tried it.

anyone got a iphone dialer skin? I might try to cook an iphone today rom after all. I'm going to need some peeps who like to make icons tho.

Guest Ninja4Hire
alright so I finally tried out the iphone today ui and I have to say, it is much better than the last time I tried it.

anyone got a iphone dialer skin? I might try to cook an iphone today rom after all. I'm going to need some peeps who like to make icons tho.

This should get you started :). I can make anything you can't find.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=533993

http://kon.deviantart.com/art/Round-Theme-Icons-102082380

http://www.iconspedia.com/pack/iphone-style-1-50/

http://www.iconspedia.com/icon/iphone-browser.html

http://joshladella005.deviantart.com/art/i...-icons-91004527

Edited by Ninja4Hire

Guest amdzero

man that was fast!

great looking icons, just need a wvga dialer now. I've tried 2 different ones, but both of them were qvga. Sux having to look at a quarter of the screen to see the dialer.