Platform Rebuilder

Guest shadowangel

Guest shadowangel

Ok

I've been trying to get this to work with our Omnia 2's without success...

And, since this is a ROM discussion forum (the ROM releasing is a side effect :D), I'd like to know if anyone has managed to get it to work...

I found very interesting that a released ROM of mine without the All Packages to One that I disassembled to os.nb, imported there and managed to cook with osKitchen went from 180MB to 97MB with all of its packages selected (dispite the fact that after my operator logo the screen went black, the computer even saw something trying to connect from the USB but wasn't recognized)

So... Has any of the chefs managed to get it working (at least I know its possible as michiprima stated on his post that he did it)

Cheers :angry:

Guest sinancetinkaya

You're on the way that I passed months ago

The problem is that Bepe's platformrebuilder is not able to reallocate some modules such as I8000's nk.exe

Edit: Although Wes58's romtool is a much better rom build tool, the link is interesting...

Edited by sinancetinkaya

Guest shadowangel
You're on the way that I passed months ago

The problem is that Bepe's platformrebuilder is not able to reallocate some modules such as I8000's nk.exe

Edit: Although Wes58's romtool is a much better rom build tool, the link is interesting...

I know... For me to finish the ROM, I've replaced nk.exe from another device as stated on the osKitchen thread and after it managed to complete the ROM I implanted the XIP from the Wes58 ROMTool finished ROM since they had the same contents...

On the osKitchen thread here on ROM discussion there were one guy who said that his windows even went up...

@edit:

Now that I thought of it, I didn't use LZX on RomTool and asked for it on osKitchen... the XIP of ROMTool I Implanted didn't have the compression library... that may be why it didn't go on... :angry:

If anyone manage to get it to work (or even I), let's make a walkthrough :D

Edited by shadowangel

Guest sinancetinkaya
I've replaced nk.exe from another device as stated on the osKitchen thread and after it managed to complete the ROM I implanted the XIP from the Wes58 ROMTool since they had the same contents...

Yes building rom will work but not a good idea though. Platform rebuilder is just a imgfs builder. Don't think it'll give you better roms. Wes58's romtool as well as PRB are doing the same job but romtool has further options and features.

Guest shadowangel
Yes building rom will work but not a good idea though. Platform rebuilder is just a imgfs builder. Don't think it'll give you better roms. Wes58's romtool as well as PRB are doing the same job but romtool has further options and features.

But why did the ROM get so smaller (180MB original vs 97MB PR - michiprima's are 110MB if I'm not wrong)?

It seems platform rebuilder strips the rom of some files that BuildOS keeps...

If it were worse than BuildOS, every new kitchen on XDA wouldn't even consider using platformrebuilder... anyway... just trying to find options for us to benchmark and choose (I'm not saying at all that Wes58 Romtool isn't good) :angry:

Guest sinancetinkaya
But why did the ROM get so smaller (180MB original vs 97MB PR - michiprima's are 110MB if I'm not wrong)?

It seems platform rebuilder strips the rom of some files that BuildOS keeps...

If it were worse than BuildOS, every new kitchen on XDA wouldn't even consider using platformrebuilder... anyway... just trying to find options for us to benchmark and choose (I'm not saying at all that Wes58 Romtool isn't good) :angry:

LOL, don't believe everything that you heard :D LZX compression already gives you a smaller rom

platform rebuilder is better than some base tools because it's doing somethings automatically. Especially the module reallocation of the XIP which is really difficult. And it gives an easier way of creating multilanguage/version based roms. As you know, you can change its options via a batch file.

Many of htc kitchen makers are using it because they already know it. PRB is a very old tool and if I'm not wrong there is no update for a long time.

Romtool is better than PRB and a lot better than any other base tools. It's doing almost everything with just a few clicks.

I don't want to discourage you, all I want to say is that it's not worth it

Edited by sinancetinkaya

Guest willis111
LOL, don't believe everything that you heard :angry: LZX compression already gives you a smaller rom

platform rebuilder is better than some base tools because it's doing somethings automatically. Especially the module reallocation of the XIP which is really difficult. And it gives an easier way of creating multilanguage/version based roms. As you know, you can change its options via a batch file.

Many of htc kitchen makers are using it because they already know it. PRB is a very old tool and if I'm not wrong there is no update for a long time.

Romtool is better than PRB and a lot better than any other base tools. It's doing almost everything with just a few clicks.

I don't want to discourage you, all I want to say is that it's not worth it

What I'm hearing is that PRB is an old, almost obsolete tool when compared to the features offered in wes' romtool. Also the fact that romtool get's updated and PRB hasn't been updated since January 2009 helps lend to romtools superiority. Basically sounds like Romtool does everything PRB does and then some and that the main reason people would use romtool vs PRB is that they've used romtool in the past and become sooo familiar with it that they don't even bother trying anything else(I was like this w/my touch diamond and buildOS/ppckitchen vs ervius visual kitchen when it first came out, just the thought of converting all my oems seemed like a pain in the butt. My thought back then was why migrate to a new kitchen when I have one working that I know how to use and am comfortable with). Makes sense to me anyways, thanks Sinancetinkaya.

Guest shadowangel
What I'm hearing is that PRB is an old, almost obsolete tool when compared to the features offered in wes' romtool. Also the fact that romtool get's updated and PRB hasn't been updated since January 2009 helps lend to romtools superiority. Basically sounds like Romtool does everything PRB does and then some and that the main reason people would use romtool vs PRB is that they've used romtool in the past and become sooo familiar with it that they don't even bother trying anything else(I was like this w/my touch diamond and buildOS/ppckitchen vs ervius visual kitchen when it first came out, just the thought of converting all my oems seemed like a pain in the butt. My thought back then was why migrate to a new kitchen when I have one working that I know how to use and am comfortable with). Makes sense to me anyways, thanks Sinancetinkaya.

Thank you all for the replies... I gave it up after what Sinancetinkaya told me... And your reply just made me forget it :angry: