Verizon releasing new update

Guest tyrelsackett

With this firmware would it be possible to install a DC23 ROM on to it? Or would I have to install DC23 to use those ROMs? Thanks!

Because the chefs here at i920 only cook the PDA (so far) you can mix and match any custom rom with ANY samsung official release. You just won't get the "Benefits" of the DG21 PDA portion of the update.

That's exactly what I thought when I got off the phone with him, but I sure wasn't going to argue with him. If he wants to ship me a new phone, who am I to argue? It could get expensive for them to handle it this way though. When I first called them, both Samsung and Verizon seemed not to care about the problem, each blaming the other and telling me to call the other. I told Verizon it's not my problem to deal with. They sold me a phone with an interface I can't use and it's one of the key selling points for the phone, so I think they need to get me fixed and quit passing the buck. He finally transfered me to the tech guy who decided I needed a new phone.

I wonder if anyone besides us has experienced issues with the widget store?

YES, I'm having the same issue with the Widget store.

Sumsung said they will call me up on monday and they should have a fix. They told me about the hard reset as well, which did nothing. Also, sending you a new phone won't help (other than having a new phone is nice) since mine worked properly seconds before the update.

Verizon service told me they're getting all kinds of calls regarding the Widget store issue, but they have no solution as of yet. I hope the eventual fix is a patch sincei don't want to go through the whole upgrade again.

Well, I got tired of waiting, so I installed Samsung WidgetPlus posted in the i8000 ROM section here by New Force. It's for the i8000, and sms points to jinbox. You can install Ninja's Jinbox and it will fix that. I attached the cab for it. Here's the link for Widget Plus here on Modaco if anyone is interested. Samsung WidgetPlus

Please note you can't use the "MORE Widgets" widget because wants your sim card to verify. You can find widgets on the web and install them. Some of the ones I have found are files within a "widgets" folder and I can't make those work. Others I have found look like blue widgets and they install. You just copy them to your storage and click on it. It will say the widget was successfully installed. You probably need to hard reset if you want to go back to the dumb WidgetPlus. :P

I have attached screen shots of some of the widgets. The Picasa, Yahoo and Google widgets were included in Samsung WidgetPlus. The rest I found here and there. I can upload them if anyone wants them. (The fly is a widget). I'm happy now. Specially since there are better widgets for this than there are in the Samsung Widget Store anyway. It doesn't let the Verizon and Samsung folks off the hook though. They still owe us a working widget store even if I don't use it!

Screen03.bmpScreen02.bmp

Ninja4hire_jInbox__Omnia_2_i920.cab

WAIT BEFORE YOU DO THIS! Somehow I have lost my broadband connection. I'm not sure if it has to do with installing Jinbox or not. I will post back once I get my broadband issue figured out.

OK, broadband isn't the issue. The weather and CNN widgets just can't connect. Sorry :)

Edited by Corki2

Man, if 6.5.x builds can retain the smoothness of this release, I'll be stoked.

Yea, I don't exactly know what's different, but it's much smoother than previous iterations.

DG21 update pulled from Samsung site... Possible update or patch ??

Maybe that's it. Who knows. They have not responded to my emails or phone calls. Meanwhile, I'm playing with my new LG Ally (Android 2.1). I got it free since we have 3 lines and neither my husband or mother-in-law ever want to get new phones. I decided to wait until WM 7 is available for flashing on my O2, then I may switch back. Meanwhile, I am loving my LG Ally and it makes not getting any customer support from Samsung a bit easier to deal with. :lol:

After spending 45 minutes on the phone with Samsung and going through 3 levels of tech support, I was informed by their 3rd level tech person there will be an update coming out to fix the widget store problem. She told me she could not give me a specific date when it would happen, but that it is going to get fixed. I am hopeful at this point.

After spending 45 minutes on the phone with Samsung and going through 3 levels of tech support, I was informed by their 3rd level tech person there will be an update coming out to fix the widget store problem. She told me she could not give me a specific date when it would happen, but that it is going to get fixed. I am hopeful at this point.

well so much for beta testing eh?

well so much for beta testing eh?

Well what's the difference between beta testing for Samsung's DG21-Widgetry, or ROM builds based on the faulty DG21 ??

(correction: faulty DG21 V1.0.2.1exe)

Edited by teege51

Well what's the difference between beta testing for Samsung's DG21-Widgetry, or ROM builds based on the faulty DG21 ??

(correction: faulty DG21 V1.0.2.1exe)

Samsung and Verizon are well paid to get it right. We shouldn't have to "test" their software for them.

Samsung and Verizon are well paid to get it right. We shouldn't have to "test" their software for them.

Checking the Samsung download website, there is now O2 "model" numbers referenced.

The model numbers begin with 3 letters + VZW, followed by numbers. If your model number isn't listed it says: "No updates available for your phone."

_NICE_ because my "model" number starts with only 2 letters + VZW.....(one of the first to get an O2)

I might need a newer phone just to get an update !

Crazy. But, the hardware nowadays can't even outlast the software !

Edited by teege51

DG21 update pulled from Samsung site... Possible update or patch ??

Ive yet to do one of these updates...if I backup using spb backup, install DG21 and then execute my backup file(exe) from my storage card, will my phone restore all will little or no effort on my part; phone settings, files, apps, etc.?

Guest urphonesux

i use activesync/gmail for my contacts, email, and calendar. I store all of my personal files on my storage card (movies/songs/photos/notes/.doc's/attachments etc.) The best option ive found for apps is to just reinstall manually but everyone else may be different.Then again, i also hard reset and then reset the memory on mystorage after every flash too.

Edited by urphonesux

Ive yet to do one of these updates...if I backup using spb backup, install DG21 and then execute my backup file(exe) from my storage card, will my phone restore all will little or no effort on my part; phone settings, files, apps, etc.?

You should not use a full restore on any roms even stock. What happens is the registry settings will inevitable dork something up. The files themselves aren't as bad but the registry/database should be fresh with every flash.

I know its a pain but trust me it will produce less headaches.

As for the "My Storage" it is nothing more than an additional NAND space. It's like having an internal mirco SD card. It is NOT associated with ROM/RAM and doesn't affect anything when flashing. Keeping it or loosing it does nothing. The only reason SAMSUNG update erases your my storage flash, is because they store programs on it. I think they SWYPE database files and that Ferrari game is stored on "My Storage".

You should not use a full restore on any roms even stock. What happens is the registry settings will inevitable dork something up. The files themselves aren't as bad but the registry/database should be fresh with every flash.

I know its a pain but trust me it will produce less headaches.

As for the "My Storage" it is nothing more than an additional NAND space. It's like having an internal mirco SD card. It is NOT associated with ROM/RAM and doesn't affect anything when flashing. Keeping it or loosing it does nothing. The only reason SAMSUNG update erases your my storage flash, is because they store programs on it. I think they SWYPE database files and that Ferrari game is stored on "My Storage".

Thanks for the info...

So after loading DG21 I restore Contacts, Task, Appointments, etc, emails and My Documents; but omit restoring System Data and My Storage, and then manually load my apps?

Does DG21 include the stock apps/etc. that came with the O2?

Thanks for the info...

So after loading DG21 I restore Contacts, Task, Appointments, etc, emails and My Documents; but omit restoring System Data and My Storage, and then manually load my apps?

Does DG21 include the stock apps/etc. that came with the O2?

yes, on both accounts.

I have never used the widget store. What is the difference between widget store and marketplace?

I've never used the widget store, either, but I'm pretty sure it's just a place to get new widgets for TouchWIZ. Since TouchWIZ (IMO) sucks and is slow and laggy, I use SPB MS3.5. Why would I want to buy more slow and laggy?

Guest urphonesux

when i first installed the latest update i was able to cruise thru the widget store with no problem.

There were alot but i didnt find anything i needed. Mostly silly stuff

Thanks for the info guys. I too use MS3.5.5, works great on the O2.

Guess the widget store was designed for people who use touchwiz. Still not sure who would want to do that though.

Thanks for the info guys. I too use MS3.5.5, works great on the O2.

Guess the widget store was designed for people who use touchwiz. Still not sure who would want to do that though.

Widgets and Touch Wiz use less resources. I would certainly try Touch Wiz again should the new widgets become available.

IMO, there are plenty of widgets available to accomplish many tasks both useful and not...

-The main difference between SPB-MS and Touch Wiz, is that SPB MS is a resource hog....yet I too still use it because of overall integration. There are many things about SPB-MS that i don't like, and because it cannot access proprietary hardware control (samsung and all handset manufacturers effectively prevent this). Also, Touch Wiz is more akin to Droid and iPhone OS's in that there is a less integrated or centralized GUI....instead, control is more individualized 'App'-oriented.

( I am not referring to overall systems integration which Droid/iPhone OS are superior, but to integration OF all the Apps into a GUI.)

There lies the rub... MS-SPB sucks up resources because it is always running as an interface between the user and the system hardware. Touch Wiz uses less resources because it has proprietary control of system hardware, and if there are enough 'widgets' (apps), can be more user friendly, configureable, and useful.

Fortunately or unfortunately, SPB and TouchWiz must also integrate with WinMo...adding yet another layer of interface to cause lag and/or GUI conflicts. The 'fortunate' aspect to this is: WinMo is highly adaptable to custom Roms.

- WM7 is attempting to address all these issues much the same way Win7 integrates PC systems....the CAVEAT is that handset and hardware manufacturers MUST relinquish proprietary rights and conform to standardized WM7 drivers.

IF this can be accomplished/partnered, then ONLY THE HARDWARE will differentiate handsets and performance.