[OLED] 06/Dec r4: MoDaCo Custom ROM (MCR) downloads + Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Davie1888
I'm going to update the MCRi bootloader to r3, where it checks for .gz.gz files as well as .gz. :lol:

P

I was just going to root mine just now Paul, you got any idea when r3 will be available?.

While i've got your attention Paul I would just like to say thanks for all the time and effort you putting into this, very much appreciated. B) B)

Edited by Davie1888

Guest Blasphemous

Paul you're a star my friend!

SUCCESS!!!! :lol:

What an idiot I am!!!! But then I did say I was!!!! The file that you put on the SD Card.... when I was changing the name I didn't notice that I'd left a dash - where there was supposed to be a dot!

ie I was leaving this dash between system and tar.... mcri-system-tar.gz When it should read mcri-system.tar.gz

Thank you for your work mate..... NOW..... what can I do with one of these Androids????? B)

Edited by Blasphemous

Guest fremar
NOW..... what can I do with one of these Androids????? :lol:

Everything that you can do with a computer? plus you can make calls and send texts with it to hehe.

Guest joe998

Paul could you tell me if this ROM can be de-odexed for themes? I've been trying to do it and I keep getting the error system/app is missing?

Also do we have full root access? I.e can we use apps like metamorph etc?

Sorry I'm a bit off a noob but we all have to start some where! And with the price of this phone I think it's ideal to muck around with :lol:

Thanks

Guest gianfrancovialli10
r3 will be a non wipe update, so don't let it put you off putting r2 on now!

P

can these roms be applied through rom manager?

also when is r9 coming out for the htc desire?

Guest subvertbeats

Hi Paul

Thanks for your work on this.

After getting your email this morning with a link to the review i went out and grabbed one of these devices to replace my girlfriends aging 3G.

All went perfectly smooth with unlock, root and custom rom install. (R2)

One issue though - i tried to set up a facebook account in the accounts settings, but no joy. The button is there but clicking it just sends you back to the list of accounts.

Any ideas? Facebook app is installed from market.

Cheers!

Guest smjpollard

(Apologies for reposting - I originally posted this earlier this morning...in the wrong place)

I am having a spot of difficulty with my San Francisco ... namely it gets stuck at the Orange logo on boot up.

OK, so I have got as far as

fastboot-windows flash boot boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r2.img

fastboot-windows reboot

mcri-system.tar.gz put on to my sd card

Phone was then restarted but would only get to the orange logo...I also left it on overnight with no progress.

I have checked my SD card and the file mcri-system.tar.gz has "flashed" on the end of it, so that does look promising but like I said, I can not actually access the phone.

I have since realised that I put the GSM hero CustomMod on it rather than the blade...probably wasn't a good idea to do this when half asleep

Could somebody please help with this problem?

If worst comes to worst, would I be able to restore this back to factory settings and if so, how?

Also, what are the implications of removing everything on the SD card? Could this help?

Many thanks in advance

Edited by smjpollard

Guest subvertbeats
Got some wifi issues on reconnecting after sleep, (see last "WIFI issues" post) gonna temporarily revert and see whether it solves it.

General android problem i think set wifi to never sleep to resolve...

Guest bajjyboy
Hi all,

Anyone having trouble with wifi?, I've rooted and installed the new rom but when the phone locks it loses the wifi signal and I have to turn off and on again to get an I.P. I have checked never sleep in the advanced wifi menu also.

Any ideas?, it didnt do it prior to installing the rom?, don't really want to go back to orange rom as this rom is much better.

I've also noticed some jerky scrolling and some freezing when typing on the keyboard, ive installed the following apps so far and have a couple of questions at the end

Ad task killer

barcode scanner

beeb anywhere

compass

F1 timing

facebook

ferrari wallpapers

fikie wallpapers

gvSIG Maps

talking tom free

rom manager 1.8.4.1 - don't know really what this does

setcpu 1.4.3 - would love to overclock slightly but not experienced enough yet

unistaller

world newspapers

world cams

transdriod

my player

ringdroid

and a few other wallpapers.

Also would like to ask the members is there anyway of installing straight onto SD card from pc or alternatively installing from apk from SD to SD?.

Is there an app to make the HTC clock in Sense clock smaller?

What is superuser for?

If I update to an 8 or 16gb card is it better to have a class 4 or 6 will this help my phone run faster?, or is it unnecessary

Final question sorry to be a pain what is the kernal for?

Thanks guys

I noticed jerky scrolling too. I loaded Android System Info and looked into the tasks tab. The Total CPU load was 100%. Looked into the processes and it seemed that Launcher Pro was using it. Bit of googling, found a forum where someone suggested to shutdown the device and remove the battery and put it back and start it. I think it did the trick. Have also read people saying that it can be caused by background data sync. I had my wifi and mobile data disabled. I enabled wifi and did the battery removal trick. Not sure what did it, but my CPU load reduced when I restarted the device. Hope this helps. I have not done anything special to install applications to the SD card, so they are getting installed to whatever the default is.

I have rooted the phone and installed R2 of MCR. I have also unlocked the phone.

The first time I had noticed the jerkiness was when I tried a Virgin Sim. It might have something to do with the fact that I has swtiched the sim. But with the battery removal trick it worked with the Virgin Sim too

Edited by bajjyboy

Guest smjpollard

Has anybody else experienced the phone not getting beyond the orange logo after flashing?

I think my amateur attempt at flashing may have killed my phone...

Is it possible to factory reset from boot (green android man) and if so, how?

Edited by smjpollard

Guest joe998
General android problem i think set wifi to never sleep to resolve...

This is a problem with the phone, I've bought 5 so far and they ALL have this problem. I've rooted and flashed 2 of them and they still disconnect after about 5 minutes when the screen turns of, even with wifi sleep policy set to never.

I currently have a HTC desire with the Modaco R8 ROM and its fantastic. So now im looking to get a budget android phone as a present for someone. Most likely it will be the san francisco as it seems better than the wildfire.

One question, will the SF get A2SD+ on the modaco ROM or even better, will there be kitchen soon?

the reason im asking, is that the standard internal memory is not enough. You can get low memory warnings only after a few apps.

Guest thisweb

re: Windows 7 drivers if your really stuck:

Just download Ubuntu/other linux distro and install in a VirtualBox in windows 7. Both free. Ubuntu is superb OS.

Guest oporto

Just a quick one... I dont seem to be able to get Touchpal keyboard to work now..... i just get the standard android one. Do i need to select it somewhere?

Anyone having problems with not being able to make calls/text after a while, which a reboot solves?

I am not sure if i should try out the stock rom.

Is there any way to preserve my apps and stuff when installing other roms?

Guest clivec
I noticed jerky scrolling too. I loaded Android System Info and looked into the tasks tab. The Total CPU load was 100%. Looked into the processes and it seemed that Launcher Pro was using it. Bit of googling, found a forum where someone suggested to shutdown the device and remove the battery and put it back and start it. I think it did the trick. Have also read people saying that it can be caused by background data sync. I had my wifi and mobile data disabled. I enabled wifi and did the battery removal trick. Not sure what did it, but my CPU load reduced when I restarted the device. Hope this helps. I have not done anything special to install applications to the SD card, so they are getting installed to whatever the default is.

I have rooted the phone and installed R2 of MCR. I have also unlocked the phone.

The first time I had noticed the jerkiness was when I tried a Virgin Sim. It might have something to do with the fact that I has swtiched the sim. But with the battery removal trick it worked with the Virgin Sim too

You probably find that most of the jerkiness and slowdown you are experiencing is due to the phone having just been switched back on, if you say you had tried a diff sim then i'm assuming you had just switched it on. Its worth bearing in mind that after a reboot, there are a lot of background tasks taking up cpu time, such as background sync, and media refreshing and so on, it settles down after a few minutes or so. This is the same for any android phone.

Guest clivec
This is a problem with the phone, I've bought 5 so far and they ALL have this problem. I've rooted and flashed 2 of them and they still disconnect after about 5 minutes when the screen turns of, even with wifi sleep policy set to never.

I've had mine set to never sleep since i had it, and have done with all android phones i've had, and have never experienced this disconnection thing you speak of with my san fran, only ever got this with the xperia x10 and x10 mini, which were on 1.6. And it's more than likely not a hardware issue, more likely to do with android, as i'm pretty sure i remember it being an issue with desires when they first came out, which was then resolved after an update.

Edited by clivec