[OLED] 06/Dec r4: MoDaCo Custom ROM (MCR) downloads + Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest benmcd

Can someone please help me, think I've ruined mine. Tried getting as far as flashing it and well.....Whichever way I turn on the phone it just stays at the green android logo, won't go any further. No idea what to do. Please if anyone can help!

Guest IronDoc
There is no icon or app, it just works if you have the correct partition setup!

P

Could you elaborate? So new apps will get automatically installed to the SD and apps that were on there before are untouched, right?

What's the best way to test its working (other than just installing loads of applications)?

Edit: Just noticed A2SD in Quick System Info.

Edited by IronDoc

Guest benmcd

Just to elaborate on my post, tried holding down when powering on, but just takes to a white square saying ftn, think thats to do with unlocking it?

Have no idea how to get past the android logo, any ideas helpful people?

Guest mario999
Just to elaborate on my post, tried holding down when powering on, but just takes to a white square saying ftn, think thats to do with unlocking it?

Have no idea how to get past the android logo, any ideas helpful people?

Have you rooted yet? If your getting ftn you havent put Clockwork recovery on by the sound of it. Are you on Windows 7?

Edited by mario999

Guest benmcd

I thought I had rooted it. Tried to follow the youtube video and all the instructions on here as well and looks like i muddled it up. I got superuser activated, and then tried various things recommended to other people on here. Now, can't get past the android screen. Am I too late to put that clockwork recovery on?

Normally I can handle jobs like this, but the command screen is another level..

Has anyone else salvaged their San Francisco from my situation with it?

Guest benmcd

Update: (This is like a blog!)

Managed to get clockwork mod update installed, so finally seeing a screen without the android logo is a relief.

Can anyone explain what to do now?

I think my problem has been following advice meant for other peoples situations!

Guest benmcd

Last update!

It worked

:) ;)

Advice to anyone else stuck with green android is the clockwork option!

Thanks Mario for advice, i'll stop cluttering the board :(

Guest tonycornholio

Downloaded using the Kitchen, flashed with no issues and loving the phone :) A massive upgrade from the HTC Hero, and an absolute bargain! I'm going to be singing this phone's praises to anyone who will care to listen!

Guest johnnyduk

Hi

I have successfully rooted and flashed my San Francisco with r3, but the wifi will not wake up once the device has gone to sleep mode, i have to reset wireless to make it work again, is this a known issue ?

Best Regards and keep up the great work

JD

Edited by johnnyduk

Guest johnnyduk

finbaar....did you need to do a wipe ? Also are you having any wireless issues after device has gone into sleep mode ?

JD

Just re-baked a rom without the hardware acceleration option and I can confirm that for me this is much smoother.

I have successfully rooted and flashed my San Francisco with r3, but the wifi will not wake up once the device has gone to sleep mode, i have to reset wireless to make it work again, is this a known issue ?

It's a well-known issue for many people with the device, stock ROM or custom it doesn't matter. I've just posted about a fix that is working for me in the related thread here.

Guest johnnyduk

Perfect......Many thanks PabUK

JD

It's a well-known issue for many people with the device, stock ROM or custom it doesn't matter. I've just posted about a fix that is working for me in the related thread here.

Hi,

Excellent forum...thanks to all the dedicated members.

Just a quick question, I have rooted my phone and uploaded the r3 modaco rom...however, I would like to change my microsd card from the 2gb supplied to another one (8gb)...can I just copy over stuff to new card and it should be okay as I don't want to lose anything incase any installed apps use the existing card..any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Ash

Edited by Ash.UK

Just a quick question, I have rooted my phone and uploaded the r3 modaco rom...however, I would like to change my microsd card from the 2gb supplied to another one (8gb)...can I just copy over stuff to new card and it should be okay as I don't want to lose anything incase any installed apps use the existing card..any advice would be much appreciated.

Should be fine. I did the same last night from the 2gb to a 4gb and it didn't cause any problem. You should probably dismount (settings > sd card) or turn the phone off first though (which I didn't but luckily it was OK).

Guest finbaar
finbaar....did you need to do a wipe ? Also are you having any wireless issues after device has gone into sleep mode ?

JD

Hi JD, no i did not do a wipe as I don't know how :) : - all i did was cook the rom and copy to the sd card and then ran clockwork recovery. My wifi does drop ot but only occasionally. Got to say I love the phone minus the orange crap.

Edited by finbaar

Guest Blasphemous

@Paul,

Paul, once again thank you for all of this. I've been a Windows Mobile user for a few years and I've lurked about this site a few times reading different threads. Having just made the jump (with the SF), to Android I thought I better join the site and get involved. Hopefully I can eventually start making a positive impact on threads but I'm at the beginning of a fairly steep learning curve right now.

Anyway, I've asked this question over on a different thread but I posted it late last night and I thought this morning that you're probably the best person to ask.

I've already got my SF on R2 but I'd like to be able to use A2SD and I see you have added to R3.

As I have already got R2 and therefore have Superuser on the SF, do I need to do the first part again (ie add Superuser), if I want to update to R3? Does R3 require a specific/different Superuser? If I do have to install a new Superuser will it just update when I carry out the procedure or do I need to delete my current Superuser from the SF first? And if so, can you tell me how I would go about deleting my current Superuser?

Thank you in advance.

Guest IronDoc
I've already got my SF on R2 but I'd like to be able to use A2SD and I see you have added to R3.

As I have already got R2 and therefore have Superuser on the SF, do I need to do the first part again (ie add Superuser), if I want to update to R3? Does R3 require a specific/different Superuser? If I do have to install a new Superuser will it just update when I carry out the procedure or do I need to delete my current Superuser from the SF first? And if so, can you tell me how I would go about deleting my current Superuser?

Thank you in advance.

As far as I understand, no. The superboot and MCRi is completely separate from the ROM. Paul seems to have taken the boot image version of R3 down however, so you need to install the ClockworkMod recovery using MCRi and then use that to install R3.

I'm new to this stuff too so don't take it as gospel, but I'm fairly sure what I've said is right.

Edit:Fix Quote

Edited by IronDoc

Guest ficosaneil

Hi there, superb site!!

Ok, I've just ordered an Orange San Francisco (which incidentally I got for £79.99 by calling Orange and informing them I'm a current PAYG customer despite only having a PAYG sim for about 10 minutes).

My day-to-day use is actually a Vodafone contract. I've had a HTC Magic for the last 12 months and become sick of 1.6 and it running slower and slower.

Ok, I need to

a) unlock the device which should be easy as I understand there are sellers on eBay doing it for 99p.

b.) install the custom ROM that deletes all the Orange junk and adds improvements -> this I'm a little more worried about.

Please let me know if I've got this right.

1) I'll follow the steps to Install Clockwork Mod Recovery

2) I'll then download and install R3 of the Custom Rom from here

And then I'm done? Is it that easy? Should this take 5-10minues?

Cheers

Edited by ficosaneil

Guest IronDoc
Hi there, superb site!!

Ok, I've just ordered an Orange San Francisco (which incidentally I got for £79.99 by calling Orange and informing them I'm a current PAYG customer despite only having a PAYG sim for about 10 minutes).

My day-to-day use is actually a Vodafone contract. I've had a HTC Magic for the last 12 months and become sick of 1.6 and it running slower and slower.

Ok, I need to

a) unlock the device which should be easy as I understand there are sellers on eBay doing it for 99p.

b.) install the custom ROM that deletes all the Orange junk and adds improvements -> this I'm a little more worried about.

Cheers

I think you need to install the Superboot thing if you want root but I'm not sure. Either way, yes it is very easy.

I don't think Paul etc are following this thread so closely anymore so I'd make a new thread if you need a reply.

Hi there, superb site!!

Ok, I need to

Cheers

Hi there,

Did you have to also buy a top-up or did you just pay for the phone? I also have a sim which I ahve not used and if I can only £80 for the phone then I am all over it :)