[OLED] 06/Dec r4: MoDaCo Custom ROM (MCR) downloads + Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

howdy

I get the error as others do below..

E:Board does not support mtd utils.E:Failure at line 420:

write_raw_image PACKAGE:boot.img BOOT:

Installation aborted.

I have tried a couple of different memory cards, successfully rooted etc., different roms, ultimately everything is as it should be

2.5.1.3 CWM works fine, can cycle thru all the menus etc., but always craps out when installing the ROM, with errors including the one above

but when I put 2.5.0.9 back on as everyone recommends, the menus just do not appear and I just get the android dude looking back at me

any help would be appreciated, coz it would be fab to use me phone again, and just keep me Satio as an alarm clock again!

thanks in advance

tN ;)

Guest Stephen1915

I've got a brick!

Following instructions very carefully I:

Unlocked my San Francisco from Orange - worked well

Did fastboot-windows blade etc. - worked well

Rebooted - good

Installed 'ClockworkMod Recovery' - all working

Copied r4-update-modacocustomrom to sd card - succesful

rebooted into 'ClockworkMod Recovery' and ran update - did not recognise file name and aborted so renamed to "update.zip" (which it seemed to want!)

rebooted into 'ClockworkMod Recovery' and ran update - update started to run, deleted files and stopped.

error message - "Formatting BOOT..... E:Board does not support mtd utils.E:failure at line 420

installation aborted

The phone no longer works and I cannot access the sd card

I got a brick!!!

sugestions most welcome - thanks in advance

Stephen

Guest JohnMetz
I've got a brick!

Rebooted - good

rebooted into 'ClockworkMod Recovery' and ran update - did not recognise file name and aborted so renamed to "update.zip" (which it seemed to want!)

rebooted into 'ClockworkMod Recovery' and ran update - update started to run, deleted files and stopped.

error message - "Formatting BOOT..... E:Board does not support mtd utils.E:failure at line 420

installation aborted

I got a brick!!!

Stephen

Hi Stephen

I got the same problem with 2.5.1.3 and just reverted to the 2.5.0.9 version of CWM then the install.zip installed correctly.

Hope this helps

john

Guest Johnnyfinlandia

I have an original Orange San Fran and really like it ... BUT

Long Story - I live in Finland and managed to unlock and root it in Oct. Worked well.

Slowed down sometimes so turned off and on maybe once per day.

Installed the ClockkworkMod Recovery and R4 ROM.

Didn't work first time so just had to clear the phone. (Did it with data first and then phone earlier which didn't work - just did the phone 2nd time and worked).

Nowthe phone is actually faster .. Agry Birds doesn't stutter as a good indicative example.

BUT I get the message a loot now which stops me being able to call or use apps :

"The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again"

I had this before I cleaned the phone the first time but now coming on quite a bit ..

Now do I install a new ROM (currently have R4) or go back to stock ROM.

(I also want that WaveSecure uninstalled but can put up with killing when rebooting for first time).

John (using Sonera Card in cold Finland).

;)

I've got a brick!

Rebooted - good

installation aborted

I got a brick!!!

Stephen

I had exactly the same problem and thought I'd bricked it but it's simple to fix.

1) Turn you phone back on holding the Volume Up button.

2) Plug your phone back into your PC and use Fastboot to install ClockworkMod Recovery version 2.5.0.9 instead of the 2.5.1.3 version you're using.

3) Once that's done try reflashing your phone with the same ROM and this time it will work ;)

I have an original Orange San Fran and really like it ... BUT

Long Story - I live in Finland and managed to unlock and root it in Oct. Worked well.

Slowed down sometimes so turned off and on maybe once per day.

Installed the ClockkworkMod Recovery and R4 ROM.

Didn't work first time so just had to clear the phone. (Did it with data first and then phone earlier which didn't work - just did the phone 2nd time and worked).

Nowthe phone is actually faster .. Agry Birds doesn't stutter as a good indicative example.

BUT I get the message a loot now which stops me being able to call or use apps :

"The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again"

I had this before I cleaned the phone the first time but now coming on quite a bit ..

Now do I install a new ROM (currently have R4) or go back to stock ROM.

(I also want that WaveSecure uninstalled but can put up with killing when rebooting for first time).

John (using Sonera Card in cold Finland).

;)

I was on Paul's R4, but have now switched to Sebastians404 De-Orangeated ROM R6 which I actually prefer (and it doesn't include WaveSecure). Maybe worth giving that a go before you switch back to Stock ROM :

Sebastians404 De-Orangeated R6

Edited by BurnCK

Hi guys,

I have purchased a White San Francisco this morning that I unlocked then went through the instructions and installed this ROM. Now everything works until the screen times out and goes to sleep but then I cannot wake it back up. I have tried the power button, volume and all the 3 front buttons.

I have also tried this ROM and the stock ROM in the frist post which for some reason the orange logo is now blue?

Could this be because it is a white san fran?

Please help i have no phone now.... Oh and the screen unlocked okay before the custom roms.

Thanks

Guest Stephen1915
I had exactly the same problem and thought I'd bricked it but it's simple to fix.

1) Turn you phone back on holding the Volume Up button.

2) Plug your phone back into your PC and use Fastboot to install ClockworkMod Recovery version 2.5.0.9 instead of the 2.5.1.3 version you're using.

3) Once that's done try reflashing your phone with the same ROM and this time it will work ;)

BurnCK - Thank you for replying so quickly.

I have downloaded 2.5.0.9 - do I need to reformat the sd card perhaps?

When I turn the Blade on holding the "up" button the sd card is "unmounted" and therefore windows cannot see it. Drivers are correctly installed on windows xp.

When I turn on holding the "down" button I can follow the menu and mount the sd card - windows can see the sd card but cannot fastboot!

error: cannot load 'recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.9-mocado-r2-blade.img' (I notice a slightly different file name!)

Any further suggestions welcome - and thanks!

Stephen 1915

Well it seems I am a bit of a "prat" I can't spell!!!

Its all looking good and I have learnt a lot from reading the forums and playing with the Blade.

Thank you again

Edited by Stephen1915

BurnCK - Thank you for replying so quickly.

I have downloaded 2.5.0.9 - do I need to reformat the sd card perhaps?

When I turn the Blade on holding the "up" button the sd card is "unmounted" and therefore windows cannot see it. Drivers are correctly installed on windows xp.

When I turn on holding the "down" button I can follow the menu and mount the sd card - windows can see the sd card but cannot fastboot!

error: cannot load 'recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.9-mocado-r2-blade.img' (I notice a slightly different file name!)

Any further suggestions welcome - and thanks!

Stephen 1915

Well it seems I am a bit of a "prat" I can't spell!!!

Its all looking good and I have learnt a lot from reading the forums and playing with the Blade.

Thank you again

Yeah you don't need access to the SD card since the update.zip is already on there. You just turn on the phone holding the volume up button and install ClockworkMod recovery 2.5.0.9 in the same way you originally installed 2.5.1.3 (make sure the .img file is in the fastboot folder) and then apply update.zip again.....but I'm guessing you've figured that out now ;) :P

Edited by BurnCK

howdy

I get the error as others do below..

E:Board does not support mtd utils.E:Failure at line 420:

Installation aborted.

I have tried a couple of different memory cards, successfully rooted etc., different roms, ultimately everything is as it should be

2.5.1.3 CWM works fine, can cycle thru all the menus etc., but always craps out when installing the ROM, with errors including the one above

but when I put 2.5.0.9 back on as everyone recommends, the menus just do not appear and I just get the android dude looking back at me

any help would be appreciated, coz it would be fab to use me phone again, and just keep me Satio as an alarm clock again!

thanks in advance

tN :P

howdy

I just fixed mine.. so happy!!! been 3 days!! ;) :lol: :lol: :)

I downloaded the 2.5.0.9 from post 10 on this page http://android.modaco.com/index.php?showto...mode=linearplus

... and it just worked... 1st time!!

................and relax ;)

tN :P

Thought I had a brick, thanks for the advice about installing the earlier version of clockwork.

May I suggest that some of the first posts / guides are updated until this issue is resolved?

Guest timROGERS

It appears that this version of the Custom ROM doesn't work with the new TFT based San Francisco's. I purchased one yesterday and it worked on that, but I purchased another today for my Dad at the same shop and it won't work - the colours go very strange and it won't wake up from sleep.

Is anyone working on a version based on the new OUK_P729BV1.0.0B08.R2 ROM?

Guest gingerbeardman

One minor issue I'm having is that I can't import photos from my SF/Blade into iPhoto. Looking at the SD card, there are two folders in the DCIM folder and the phone seems to be saving photos into one called Camera, which I think is non-standard behaviour.

Any ideas?

Guest Polythene

This may be a silly question. This ROM supports Harware Acceleration, yes?

If so, is it applied by default or do i need to do anything?

I want to get my PSX emulator running well!

Guest Stephen1915
Yeah you don't need access to the SD card since the update.zip is already on there. You just turn on the phone holding the volume up button and install ClockworkMod recovery 2.5.0.9 in the same way you originally installed 2.5.1.3 (make sure the .img file is in the fastboot folder) and then apply update.zip again.....but I'm guessing you've figured that out now ;) :P

Hello BurnCK,

You are very correct and I now know I did not need to access the Sd card. I am always learning things and I am grateful to you, Paul and JohnMetz. I now have a "happy" Blade working much quicker than under the Orange branding and with a Vodaphone Sim so I can get a signal at my home.

Given the cheap price of this phone I would encourage anyone with such little expertise as me to be confident and have a go - it has been a worthwhile experience.

Thanks again

Stephen

Guest admanirv
This is now installable using ClockworkMod 2.5.1.3 (from the kitchen). Prebakes will be updated with compatability shortly.

P

Paul, silly question but will the prebaked ROM have bugfixes/be better than the kitchen rom that has been available for the last couple of days?

Cheers

Guest sledges
r4 prebakes are now ClockworkMod 2.5.1.3+ compatible.

P

Dear Paul,

I have just tried on my OUK_P729BV1.0.0B05 (OLED devices only) your r4 (default kitchen options) - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: bcd08f13347cfcb85915d28d9ab26dd5) with ClockworkMod 2.5.1.3-blade.img

But I still got the

E:Board does not support mtd utils

E:Failure at line 420: write_raw_image PACKAGE:boot.img

BOOT: Installation aborted

And got stuck on green droid, even after re-insterting the battery :(

I am ready to assist you with any more info you require.

-- 

sledge