[OLED] 06/Dec r4: MoDaCo Custom ROM (MCR) downloads + Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Definitely likely if you have winrar installed (that will open gzipped files)

HAve win rar and the file name is showing .tar at the end have tried both ways in Win rar with the file type being shown as .tar=tar file/.gz=gzipped file have put both these versions on the sd but no luck

Did it till 5am from 10pm but no go just boots normally despite being flashed ok and rebboting with cmd prompt

Sorry NOOB problems :lol:

Paul, thanks for your hard work to get this ROM out to us, I've been following the treads very carefully and got my SF yesterday thanks to you :)

Unfortunately I have the "nothing happens" problem

I'm using Linux and am absolutely sure the file is named correctly and the fastboot succeeds but nothing happens, the SF boots as normal and quickly to show me a display of the orange apps.

As you can see below the fastboot and ls show that prerequisites are met, am I missing something? If not is there away to enable logging somewhere so I can see what's happening?

mentar@odin:~/lab$ sudo ./fastboot boot boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r2.img 

downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY

booting... OKAY

mentar@odin:~/lab$ sudo ./fastboot reboot

rebooting...
mentar@odin:/media/3E19-1C14$ ls

Android	  DCIM	  mcri-system.tar.gz  svox

LOST.DIR  Sipdroid			z7logs

Many thanks!

EDIT: I'm an idiot (well dyslexic actually) missed the word FLASH after the FASTBOOT command

Edited by mentar

Finally had the bottle to root and install this custom rom. All went smoothly and I would like to thank you Paul, I am so pleased with it.

Ditto that,really appreciate all your work.Never done anything like this before.So was a bit daunting at first.

I assume the flashed gz. file can now be removed from the sd card?

what a noob am i :lol:

was trying to change the extension of the download to mcri-system-blade-mcr-r2.tar.gz/ mcri-system-blade-mcr-r2.tar instead of reading the OP that the whole download should just be renamed "mcri-system.tar.gz" as soon as did it off an running in a flash

Thanks Paul

Hope my mistake helps somebody else

Thanks to mario999 for the syntax for cd prompt

Edited by drask

Guest critch36
Some people seem to be having problems rooting the device, but went as smooth as butter for me.

* Downloaded both the fastboot file and r2 Superboot / MCRi file,

* Placed the r2 Superboot / MCRi file(image) into the now unzipped fastboot folder.

* Moved this fastboot folder directly onto the C:/ drive on my PC.

* Turned off phone and pulled battery, replaced battery, then powered up phone. (Power+Volume up)

* It stops On the Green Android, plugged in USB cable, left it to do its thing and Windows 7 installed a fastboot driver.

* Opened a command prompt on the PC (type cmd into windows search box) and you should get something similar to C:\users\home>

* Type> cd c:\fastboot <(puts you in the fastboot folder)

* Then copy and paste the following into the command prompt on your PC and press enter> fastboot-windows flash boot boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r2.img < (you should get a message to say its done)

* Next copy and paste this and hit enter> fastboot-windows reboot <

* Finally leave your phone to do its thing and in about 5 or so minutes it will have rebooted and you should have Root access.

Hope this helps someone. - Apologies if this is in the wrong thread, please feel free to move.

I followed this method ,all worked perfectly,Thanks

Guest tambourine_man

Thank fu*k for that...

I switched the phone in an orange store and all has worked swimmingly.

Godknows what I did to the previous phone, but something wasn't quite right.

Thanks for all your help guys,

Peter

ok, so based on everyone's enthusiasm for this new device I went out and bought one and just got it today.

I've cloned all contents from the included 2GB SD to a bigger 8GB SD I had lying around.

I've got my unlock code (from unlocks.co.uk), which was returned within 20mts -haven't actually tried it yet.

Now I have a question.

This is my first dip into android (been a long time user of WinMo). As some of you guys have now had this device for a few days I know, from experience, there's always things you find out later which you end up saying to yourself 'I wish i knew that before i did X or Y', so before i go ahead root and load the r2 custom ROM, does anyone have any words of wisdom of things I should backup/save (or anything else that may be useful doing) at this stage before i go ahead with the process.

thanks guys, keep up the good work..looking forward to froyo on this thing.. :lol:

Edited by xzyk

Guest thomas01155

@David1888 its the command prompt in windows(CMD). You can find it under start, all programs, accessories.

Thank you so much Paul :lol: it runs much better with all that orange junk gone.

Guest Davie1888
@David1888 its the command prompt in windows(CMD). You can find it under start, all programs, accessories.

Thank you so much Paul :lol: it runs much better with all that orange junk gone.

Thought that thomas01155, but thought I better ask B)

Guest southeastblue

Many thanks to Paul for this 'clean' look rom, just installed it and all went fine following your guide. :lol:

Just wanted to know, now the phone has been installed with this super user app does it need to remain there for the new rom to continue working? Have an anti virus app telling me its a threat, and Battlenet Autheticator telling me I shouldn't have my phone rooted as it can compromise security.

Just annoying having these messages pop up, if anyone knows how to stop it?

Edited by southeastblue

Guest southeastblue
remove the apps giving you the warnings you dont need them

No need for an antivirus app on android? If I don't need any antivirus I'll just get rid of it...

The other warning me I need, as it allows me to log into my World of Warcraft account securely so can't remove it! :lol:

Guest southeastblue
Really big noob here, but what does installing a ROM allow you to do?

This rom removes all the Orange bloatware basically, and gives you a 'clean' Android 2.1 installation instead. :lol:

Edited by southeastblue

Guest fradleyp
Orange logo removal is coming up. :lol:

P

any idea why my wifi connection drops if I leave the phone for 2 minutes, I then have to go into wireless settings to turn it off then back on again?

when the phone goes black and I have to unlock, I then have to reset wireless

Edited by fradleyp

Guest Matt Thompson
No need for an antivirus app on android? If I don't need any antivirus I'll just get rid of it...

The other warning me I need, as it allows me to log into my World of Warcraft account securely so can't remove it! :lol:

Whoa - it's not good to think that there's no need for an antivirus app on Android.

There have already been examples of Trojans that target the platform.

It is important to understand what you're doing. Don't just install things without understanding the warning in the market. Try to understand the steps involved in any of the procedures you carry out against your device.

Providing unrestricted root access to a device does create a greater possibility for viruses and other malware but right now there's not a huge amount out there - but that's not a reason to be complacent.