Problems with replacing i8000 digitizer

After replacing my touch screen digitizer, the new one seems to understand 'touch' itself (a tap will light up the screen, etc), but not the actual position of the tap.

Trying to calibrate by forcing a hard reset ends in an endless loop (the touch just doesn't understand the positioning of the tap at all, and I can't get it out of the loop).

Putting the old digitizer back in, everything works. So I know it is not just something I am doing wrong.

Can anyone help me with any possible solution? Could it be that the digitizer I received is not compatible with my device, or is faulty? It is the exact same fit, and it even says 8GB on top just like my current Omnia does. To the naked eye they look identical, though the model number is slightly different.

My current digitizer reads: M989 85I8000 L

The replacedigitizer reads: M98J 22I8000 904

Anyone with ANY sort of idea? Should I ask for a replacement, or am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

Guest makezu_pp
After replacing my touch screen digitizer, the new one seems to understand 'touch' itself (a tap will light up the screen, etc), but not the actual position of the tap.

Trying to calibrate by forcing a hard reset ends in an endless loop (the touch just doesn't understand the positioning of the tap at all, and I can't get it out of the loop).

Putting the old digitizer back in, everything works. So I know it is not just something I am doing wrong.

Can anyone help me with any possible solution? Could it be that the digitizer I received is not compatible with my device, or is faulty? It is the exact same fit, and it even says 8GB on top just like my current Omnia does. To the naked eye they look identical, though the model number is slightly different.

My current digitizer reads: M989 85I8000 L

The replacedigitizer reads: M98J 22I8000 904

Anyone with ANY sort of idea? Should I ask for a replacement, or am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

I had the very same problem with my digitizer. But instead it was the original screen digi that made the position loop. I ordered a replacement and it worked fine.

As conclusion, you could just have a new, faulty digitizer in your hands.

:) I didn't even knew there was a serial on the digi. I just switched the parts... :)

I had the very same problem with my digitizer. But instead it was the original screen digi that made the position loop. I ordered a replacement and it worked fine.

As conclusion, you could just have a new, faulty digitizer in your hands.

:) I didn't even knew there was a serial on the digi. I just switched the parts... :)

Sadly I don't know what I should do. Should I ask for a replacement for the defective digitizer and do it myself again, or go with the safe route and ship my phone to someone who will replace it professionally?

If I go with the replacement route, it will cost me another $10 tops. If I take it to a professional it will be anything from $40 to 80$. But it will be done.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sebspiderweb
Sadly I don't know what I should do. Should I ask for a replacement for the defective digitizer and do it myself again, or go with the safe route and ship my phone to someone who will replace it professionally?

If I go with the replacement route, it will cost me another $10 tops. If I take it to a professional it will be anything from $40 to 80$. But it will be done.

Just a note: I replaced my i8000 digitizer with one I purchased online. They said it was genuine samsung, but the touch isn't as sensitive as the original was... plus having to re-use the sticky to adhere the new one in place was very fiddly.... I'm thinking of taking it to a pro to have a real genuine one put on instead... still, only cost me $10 bucks to do it myself and works fine for now. Cheers :rolleyes: